5 Big Things: To beat South Carolina

1. Trick or Cheer?: Tonight is the first time East Tennesseans have had to choose between Neyland Stadium and trick-or-treating. The Vols are 11-2 on Halloween but haven’t played a home game on Oct. 31 since 1942, long before night games were in vogue. UT’s most recent Halloween game was in 1998, a 49-14 rout of South Carolina on the way to a national championship.

2. Who Kicks?: Daniel Lincoln’s quadriceps injury has shrouded Tennessee’s kicking duties in mystery. Lincoln, whose overtime field goal beat South Carolina in 2007, hasn’t kicked all week, so Chad Cunningham could add field goals to his punt and kickoff chores. Cunningham has kicked field goals in scrimmages but never in a game. At least Terrence Cody won’t be in the house.

3. Homeland Security: South Carolina has won only once in 14 visits to Neyland Stadium. That was 2005, Steve Spurrier’s first season with the Gamecocks. But the 2009 Vols have played better on the road than at home, with the exception of a 45-19 rout of Georgia on Oct. 10. If Tennessee can replicate that effort, it should get the W.

4. The Young and The Tall: Tennessee’s secondary has to measure up against two tall Gamecock freshmen. Alshon Jeffery is 6-foot-3 true freshman with 24 catches (and five TDs). Tori Gurley is a 6-5 redshirt freshman with 21 catches.

5. The 200 Club: The Vols have had two 200-yard rushing games — against Western Kentucky and Ohio. Reaching that plateau against an SEC opponent would be big. Alabama and Kentucky have both hit the Gamecocks for a Deuce. South Carolina State wasn’t far short at 170. Something to shoot for.

— Mike Strange

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

The_Greater_Pumpkin writes:

I would love to hang half a hundred on the ole ball coach! I still love to see the throwing of the visor!

Hounddog writes:

Let's get the win!

Let's play football. Hounddog

TommyJack writes:

in response to The_Greater_Pumpkin:

Maybe the Just for Men will be washed out by the rain.

Volsfanstuckintx writes:

Just play the same way you have for the last two weeks and you win by 2 or more scores.

vol94 writes:

I live around the Nasvhille, TN area and may need to sell my two tickets.

Anyone interested please post on this site

FearTheVols1252 writes:

I thought I read somewhere that Alshon Jeffery wasn't suiting up this weekend because of illness... perhaps I'm mixing him up with someone else.

sizeDD writes:

in response to Volsfanstuckintx:

uh ok

DennisVols writes:

Jeffey was sent home sick this past Wed and did not practice Thurs. and there is doubt he will be available for the game.
UT does have to control the line and have a big rushing game against USC. Crompton needs to stand up against pressure like he did against Bama. USC has 2 of the fastest DE's in the conference and can make things miserable on JC if we do not develop the rushing attack to make them play honest.
Look for Hardesty and Brown early and often.
UT's defense has to contain Garcia in the pocket, not let him break off runs like McElroy got last week,
Keeping it Real
Go Vols!!!

cpa writes:

South Carolina papers were reporting this morning that Alshon will play.

volnsc writes:

I'm hearing the same thing over here in the Greenville area. Word is that Jeffery has the flu and won't play. Sneaky Steve could be putting out bad info.

orangepridenation writes:

I think UT simply needs to do what it does best. Give the ball to Montario Hardesty and Bryce Brown early on in the game, set up some play action passes. and play our usual dominant D. We shouldn't have many problems with south carolina, they can't run the ball or stop the run, which is a perfect spot for the vols to put a thrashing on good ole steve spurrier. 28-10 vols.

VolunteerLifer writes:

Agree the offensive plan will be to run, run, run and set up the pass that way. I think its a big night for Hardesty and Brown.

Spurrier likes to pass to set up the run, so I think EB goes back to a more traditional safety role. Look for him to have a big night.

If those three players are having big games, we win.

utfanatic813 writes:

Jeffery is out for the game btw

Raynoch writes:

From TheState.COM on Jeffery. Looks like he will be ready:

Injury report. Freshman receiver Alshon Jeffery returned to practice after missing Wednesday with an illness. "He's a lot better," USC coach Steve Spurrier said. "He ran around and he should be fine by Saturday night." ... Receiver D.L. Moore sat out with migraine headaches, but Spurrier said he should be OK by today. ... Defensive tackle Travian Robertson, who tore the ACL in his right knee against Mississippi, underwent successful surgery on Wednesday, according to team physician Jeff Guy.

tigervol77 writes:

I live in Columbia, SC. The report is that Jeffrey will play. Still none the less he may still have a bug. He will not be a 100%. I hope Kiff runs the score up on them!!!!! GO ROCKY TOP!

we3vols#281863 writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Go get 'em Doc. LOL. Go Vols!

wayoutwill writes:

(Ifs and Buts ain't candy and nuts)--They don't mean much when it comes to wishing on the past but here goes anyhows,I got to belive that Chad in there kicking those field goals last week gives us the win.I got so ticked and mad that I finished off a bottle of Crown and blew a grand of my hard earned dough in a Texas Hold 'em poker game that night and been feeling the blues all week.Vols got to bring me out of it on Sat. by smashing the Gamecocks!Go Vols!

steamboatticket#484773 writes:

Oh boy, Vols lost to bammers and puke willy felt bad. That's before he drank all his whiskey. Then he went to playing cards. He lost his money and then he felt bad about that. What gonna happen to willy when Vols beat roosters?

steamboatticket#484773 writes:

Jeffrey sent home sick Wednesday. Jeffrey team sent home sick Saturday.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to orangepridenation:

100% right; Hardesty is the key the game;; must put 100 plus game and no turnovers; which will open up the pass game,,Iam sure Monte knows we must pressure the QB; Gracia will pick us apart if he has time to throw..Fans being fired up and loud will be a factor also..I hate to say must win but this game will set the tone for our november stretch and team moral; With the great effort we made at bama this team is ready and deserves a big SEC win

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to Tellico_Vol:

Good post; Berry has put the wood on everybody and Garcia is just the guy to help Eric finally break the record and do it with a pick 6

volfan17 writes:

Pound the rock with Hardesty and Brown!

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to licknpromise777#651578:

Well, the Auburn offensive debacle aside, a win tonight would help our confidence going forward, not just this season, but beyond. Right now, Bama and Florida seem to be the cream of the crop headed to BCS bowls with LSU improving to a pretty solid #3, probably ending up in Orlando. The rest of us are fighting for the last two NYD bowl games, Cotton and Outback, and for the very lucrative (and inside) Peach. Beating South Carolina would certainly give us a leg up to be the #2 East finisher. If we win tonight, I'm wouldn't be surprised if we win out, including at Ole Miss. If we don't, we may have to go to Kentucky and win to make a bowl. I prefer (and expect) scenario number one. SC hasn't stopped the run yet and we run well. Crompton appears to have his head on straight, the receivers are finally running routes and catching balls, and the D hasn't cost us a game yet. I think we win. Go Vols!!!

volfaninutah writes:

in response to FearTheVols1252:

He wasn't at first, but decided to skip the late shift at the 7-11.