New Vols football writer starts

Austin Ward took over our UT football beat Monday. He comes to us from the Star-Tribune in Casper, Wyo., where he covered University of Wyoming football and was named 2008 Wyoming sportswriter of the year.

Continue reading at Editor Jack McElroy's blog, "The Upfront Page."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Links

SGidds writes:

You know what they always say. . .

"If you can't beat 'em , take back the sportswriter that you let 'em have."

abnerPeabody writes:

If he tells it like he sees it ,some of you will not like him.If he tells it the way you want to hear,some of you will love him.I say welcome and tell it like it is even if it hair lips the Devil.Go Vols.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Wel, since he's seen it from a distance and knows the carnage being rebuilt in K-town, he should offer a good perspective.

Sad truth of no rings in 10 years is, well, sad truth.

Like it or not.

Welcome home, sir.

dvhill100 writes:

Welcome aboard. Hope you brought your flak jacket and helmet. Tough crowd here.

GreerVol22 writes:

Don't forget!!! Vol Walk at 10:35 Band marches at 10:55. This is a change from prior years, no more waiting an hour! Same gap for all home games.

nmbr1vol writes:

HAVE MY PRAYERS BEEN ANSWERED???? IS THIS john adams REPLACEMENT????????? ...SOMEONE WITH A POSITIVE ATTITUDE AND SOMETHING GOOD TO SAY ABOUT MY UNIVERSITY????????????

heepdog writes:

Any relation to John Ward?

in response to nmbr1vol:

Sorry, but he appears to be Drew Edwards' replacement. Surely you know Adams is irreplaceable(;-P)!

Bigger_Al writes:

If only someone would swoop in and hire Adams away from the KNS. I can see Adam's resume now:

"Snide, narcissistic sportswriter who tries to be the biggest sports name in town looking for position from which I can needle the local fans and resurrect bad memories on a consistent basis."

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I was hoping for a straight up trade, Ward for Adams. Oh well, it could be worse...Adams could be a twin and the twin could also be writing for KNS.

TommyJack writes:

Maybe he can teach Hooker that one can pay more than $8 for a haircut.

NTNSTY writes:

To all the critics/flamers/haters hiding behind their keyboards: your co-workers talk behind your back about how much you suck at your job too.

Waldorf writes:

So the KNS left the state of Wymoing without any sportswriters?

papavol writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

that was actually a darn good read.. I suggest it to everyone.

mbible1utk#324980 writes:

but I wanted to be the UT sportswriter!

Cldvols1 writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

Good article and I tend to agree with it. I miss reading the Chattanooga Times every morning!

lmvolfan writes:

I think he won sportswriter by default, he's probably the only sports writer in Wyoming. I am just having fun, good luck ward!

newtonrail writes:

in response to heepdog:

Any relation to John Ward?

Assumed he was related to Josh Ward on Sports Animal, and who has done recruiting stuff on here.

Waldorf writes:

One word of advice -

Try to write as many and better articles about the team you are covering than Wes Rucker does for a newpaper 100 miles from Knoxville.

iowavol writes:

in response to illinoisvolfan:

Some comments are good and worth reading. Some comments are not good but still worth reading. Some comments aren't worth the lint under my toe nails - like Adams. Your comment, while spot on, has left a very bad image in my head. If that happened, I'd have to become a Bama fan.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to iowavol:

I'd have to become a Bama fan?

Purgatory?

I wouldnt wish either on anybody.

doubledown writes:

Austin, don't get too tied up in the night life here, I know it's hopping compared to Laramie, Wy, just don't buy too much Orange Kook-aid while you're here.

Volin68 writes:

Did we really Lose to....Wyoming??? Too painful, I've completely blocked that one out.

Nevertheless, Welcome to East TN Mr. Ward. We like objective, but needling negativity for the sake of stirring up the fans....well, that's why we have JA

the10sevol writes:

in response to Waldorf:

So the KNS left the state of Wymoing without any sportswriters?

don't know where the kns departed from, just know they didn't have any sportswriters when they arrived in knoxville.
!!!! just kidding, kappy, just kidding !!!!
GBO

tmartin writes:

When can we replace Bob Kesling?

stevefrommemphis writes:

in response to NTNSTY:

That's right! You tell 'em, John Adams. (just kidding)

CoverOrange writes:

Did some of you not read the article? Austin is a UT alum and one time writer for the Daily Bacon, I mean Daily Beacon. So I would assume he is familiar with Tennessee football.

Personally, I consider the loss to Wyoming to be third behind North Texas St and Rutgers in rankings of the most embarrassing losses.

stevefrommemphis writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Rutgers actually had a reasonably decent team that year, coached by Frank Burns, of the same name as the M*A*S*H character. I would consider Chattanooga, North Texas State, and Memphis in 1996 to be the three most embarrassing, with Wyoming, Rutgers, and Virginia (homecoming 1980?) being right behind them. The only one of the five played in my lifetime that I missed was last year's Wyoming game. Chattanooga, I wasn't born.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to stevefrommemphis:

Like you I wasn't around for the Chatt game so I can't apply any emotion. Maybe because I was a teenager for the NTSt and Rutgers games I attach more to them. I should rate Memphis higher but because, at the time, we thought we were already out of the NC race it didn't have that HUGE disappointment factor. As for Wyoming, the offense and coaching staff didn't prepare or even try for that one. Disappointing but dismissable of having any real reflection on Tennessee football pride.

CHS52VOL writes:

Welcome back to Knoxville, Mr. Ward. While none of us expects you to be a "homer" in your sports writing, realize that we are. Be objective, but throw us Homers an occasional bone. Good luck.

murrayvol writes:

Welcome home Austin.

The only advice I would offer is this: I'm not sure what the key to success is but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

in response to CoverOrange:

I WAS around for that Chattanooga game, and that may well have been the worst loss EVER for UT. The stadium, even though much smaller then, was only about half-full, it was a gray, gloomy day, and there was a confused, milling, near-riot in and around the stadium. Extra police were called in from all around the city and tear-gas clouds wafted around campus. It was, bar none, the worst day I have ever experienced at Neyland Stadium!

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to iowavol:

Sorry about that Iowa, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Just drink a six and everything will be all right.

in response to CoverOrange:

People on here read the articles before posting? When there is a chance to bash the KNS for no good reason? Are you kidding? Clearly, reading first, then thinking, and THEN posting are just too many steps for some of the rocket scientists on here to follow(;-P)!