TE Mosley considering transfer to UT, may visit Friday

Former Oklahoma State tight end Jamal Mosley is considering transferring to Tennessee and could visit Knoxville as early as Friday, according to a source close to the situation.

Mosley left Oklahoma State this week citing personal reasons. He was listed as the Cowboys’ starter for Saturday’s game against Georgia.

According to court documents obtained by ESPN, Mosley is under a restraining order filed last week in Payne County Court by Kayla Elizabeth Starks. It is not clear if that situation led to Mosley's abrupt departure.

"Jamal Mosley is leaving our football team for personal reasons," Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy said in a prepared statement. "He has been a good teammate and we wish him the best. We will have no further comment on the matter."

Gundy told reporters this summer that Mosley was in good standing with the team following a charge of misdemeanor marijuana possession on June 17, ESPN.com reported.

The 6-foot-4, 254-pounder from Memphis caught five passes for 57 yards in 2008 as a freshman. He attended Kingsbury High School.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

FatherVol writes:

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Homermoosevols writes:

Uh this has bad news written all over it.

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

him say "Just pass it"

Greer_Vol_22 writes:

If your thinking of coming this way, stop in Memphis....that would be close enough...

rockytopman writes:

We don't know the details....CLK runs a clean ship, let him make the personnel decisions.

Phowell23 writes:

This kid also had horrible academics coming out of high school too. I'm not sure if this kid is worth the risk trouble / babysitting unless he's a changed man since his Memphis / early OK State days.

SEC__Headgear writes:

UT has sent some rising stars away for similar reasons and seen the youngster grow as a football player, student, and a person in another conference and region (even reach the NFL). This however looks like trouble we don't need.

GoodOleRockyTop writes:

no thank you, NEXT!

RoadTrip writes:

Got some clean-up to do on this one if he comes. Fortunately he will sit out a year for them to see if he can turn it around. Small investment to make for a possible impact player. I am going to trust CLK and crew - they know their stuff.

Major_Magilicutty writes:

We may as well become the Cowboys of the NCAA - rehabilitating college athletes, one at a time. :)

spvol writes:

Be afraid...be VERY afraid.

SHAWVOL writes:

coach kiffin will make the right choice if this guy comes to tenn he will be on a tight leash and probally wont last

bnakk#240693 writes:

I could be wrong but "restraining order" has "girlfriend/wife beater" written all over it. We don't need that kind of trash if it is so.

LadyVolsEighTimes writes:

To Quote Nancy Reagan,,,,,,,,Just Say No!!!!!!

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

him say pass it and me catch it...

(a good buzz that is)

byobbio writes:

Oh, i like this idea...

InertGas writes:

Pass

VolFanNC writes:

I'm on the fence on this one. Can he play QB?

Voluvr writes:

...next..... go to Florida so Meyer can break the Guiness record for the most arrests in 4 yrs.

UCFgradVOLatHEART writes:

in response to SEC__Headgear:

I like the way you think. You must be refering to Ontario Smith. AKA the Wizz

givehim6 writes:

If we were in need of a TE maybe, but I think were good.

VOL03_NC writes:

I dont like it, but everyone makes mistakes. Maybe he has learned his lesson. Maybe a little CLK and company class influences, we get a positive outcome for us and for the kid.

Seriouslyorange writes:

This lad is trouble,I feel it in my bones. And as Witch Doctor says.........bones never........!

Rockytop38 writes:

In my opinion I think I would pass on this one.
Let try to recruit as many kids with good character references as possible.

JohnnyVol writes:

If the off field issues were good, then this guy would sit a year and be eligible. That being the case, Brandon Warren would be a senior...just in time for Mosely.

All that having been said, trouble is something WE DO NOT NEED. I think Kiffin will make a good decision here...whatever it ends up being.

Cldvols1 writes:

in response to 1stAndGoal:

I agree with you 100% 1AG, I trust Kiffin as well! If, and I mean if, he were to come to UT I think CLK and the staff can straighten him out. And if not then he'll be playing osmewhere else! Go Vols!!!

Hounddog writes:

CLK will make the right read. Agree TrollFreeZone. Sits a year, cleans up, who knows? Let's play football. Hounddog

chad_t31 writes:

The number of problems that come with this kid outweigh his production from last year. No thank you.

teampenny#658108 writes:

in response to Navalorange:

off field issues are never a problem when you are winning That is just the way it is.

mbible1utk#324980 writes:

I kind of hope this one drifts on by. I can settle for a bad past as long as it is both distant and limited to one instance (i.e. Daniel Hood), but this kid has both a recent bad past, and a track record. At this point, I don't think he'll grow out of it. Even if he could, I don't think we have the time to wait on him to decide to grow up.

xvolx writes:

go to Hampton and play with toker coker.

ONUV writes:

we have some really judgmental fans. "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone."

TnScooby writes:

in response to ONUV:

Without knowing details, let CLK make the decision....I don't like controversy any more than the next Vol fan but all these players are just KIDS.....perhaps CLK and staff should decide?? Let it play out first, he's just "rumored" to be visiting

chrisw2967 writes:

Mosley sounds like he would fit right in down in fladuh.

give_him_6 writes:

Slowly I turned. Step by step. Inch by Inch...I ran away very fast!!! Thanks but no thanks

GreerVol22 writes:

in response to ONUV:

If your daughter brought this guy home for dinner and you just read this story.......

Having just read this story, would you hire him?

Kiffin has worked hard to keep dope heads and incidents from happening...so if it ain't broke...

murrayvol writes:

A coaching friend once said: "If a young man has a problem we'll try to help him. If he is the problem, we can't help him."

Kiffin & Co. have made all (for the most part) the right calls so far. I trust their judgement.

cloudodust writes:

CLK began his Tennessee job with the process of taking what he wants, not taking whatever wants him. Tennessee will not become a halfway house for the talented lost and confused. To the best of my knowledge, Kiffin hasn't posted a sign on the Neyland Stadium marquee that reads," All Wayward Football Players Welcome Here"...

tonyvick#213307 writes:

...it's not like his drug of choice was heroin or crack it was just marijuana and it's not like he beat his wife it was just some ole girlfriend. Really he sounds like he bailing before the "real dirt" come out. I think he's better suited somewhere else.

OrangeCrush writes:

Here's the 64K question, who is CLK and staff evaluating for the 2010 class? I would think there's a recruit better than this guy...

KINGKONG writes:

We gave the TE from catholic a fair chance for what he did.So lets give Mosley a fair chance to redeem himself.We have taken this thug thing to far.Some of us have forgotten about the skeletons thats in are closet.LETS HELP HIM BEFORE WE LABEL HIM.

richvol writes:

With the kind of recruiting powerhouse Tennessee is becoming once again,why even take the chance? He's not a local kid that wants to come home so why even bother? We can recruit plenty of tight ends that are clean.

doubledown writes:

It's probably his Baby's Moma causing all the ruckus.. Agree with the above comment, that a restraining order is about the easiest thing you can get from a judge if you're a woman, they hand them out like candy. Sometimes its a convenient way to keep a person from seeing their children, for example.

in response to tweetdriver63#346474:

For that matter, he might have dumped her and she "went legal" to get back at him. Details in cases like this are often murky. I'm not saying that we ought to go after this guy, just that we shouldn't go after him without doing due diligence and weighing all factors. I'm pretty sure the staff will do that, and from what I have heard about them so far, I will trust their decision.

cmoore7 writes:

This guy was dating the daughter of a booster who didn't like his daughter dating someone from a different race. The booster forced the restraining order and the AD to cite the transfer for "personal reasons". The only one with "personal reassons" was daddy/booster. Mosley is a good kid.

UrbanCryer writes:

in response to DaMan:

1st off, hello kettle this is pot. 2nd, we DONT know the details. 3rd, (so far) under clk ut has 0 arrests. lastly, little urbie cant count high enough to keep up with uf's arrests

gogreen writes:

Geez people, half of the Tenn football team were academic losers and more probably have a criminal record. Get off your righteous attitude. Tenn players are as bad as everybody else in the country. Just get over it.

volfan#207874 writes:

in response to KINGKONG:

I like your train of thought KK. A young man's life can often be altered with the right leadersip/supervision. Let the "powers that be" make the decision as to whether or not this particular case warrants a second chance. I personally know an innumerable number of people who have completely turned their life around from their wild and wooly teen years. Many have been rightfully lauded for their efforts, and success, in re-habitilating younger men/women. Let the coaching staff interrogate/evaluate and make the decision.

PaulTheVol writes:

Tommy West has had no problem taking on everyone else's problem child. Sounds like this guy would fit perfectly at Tiger High.

OrangeMagic writes:

in response to DaMan:

Didn't know you could get internet access in jail. My instinct tells me you would look good in orange, road-crew orange.