Kiffin writes letter to fans

Tennessee head football coach Lane Kiffin sent this letter to fans Thursday through the UT sports information office:

Dear Fans,

It's Time!

The start of the 2009 football season is finally here, and I can’t tell you how excited I am to play our first game inside Neyland Stadium. The excitement around the program is unbelievable! Our players and coaches have worked extremely hard this summer and in fall camp. As I said back in November, we will not be out-worked, and I still stand by that statement today.

Saturday’s season opener against Western Kentucky will be a landmark day for our entire program. I encourage everyone to come out early, enjoy the VolWalk and cheer loudly.

Part of what makes Tennessee so special is the fans. Your support, enthusiasm and excitement is contagious. Our coaches and players can feel it so join us for the Vol Walk at 10:35 beginning at the Torchbearer.

The weather forecast for Saturday is 83 and partly sunny – perfect weather for football. If you don’t have tickets yet, check out www.uttix.com.

The Big Orange Nation is a team of one and I would like to ask each of you to help us show the rest of the college football world just how united we are. We are asking fans to create a "SEA OF ORANGE" in the stands of Neyland Stadium. The official 2009 Tennessee football t-shirt is on sale at your favorite Vol shop. Buy your shirt, wear it to the game and let’s create an event that none of us will soon forget.

If you are in town on Friday night, join the Pride of the Southland Band, the cheerleaders, and Smokey for the 3rd Annual Big Orange Blast pep rally and concert featuring country music star Sara Evans at World’s Fair Park.

Thanks for your support. I will see you at Neyland Stadium on Saturday!

Let’s Lock In. It’s Time!

Go Vols!

Lane Kiffin

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Major_Magilicutty writes:

Let's lock in? Ooooooookay...???

Anyway...GO VOLS!!!

golfballs03 writes:

this was clearly written by the marketing department. also, they need to proof the "letters" they send out

mdavis332#560634 writes:

Well that's it so not much else to say except GO VOLS oh coach said that too!

HallowedHill writes:

Get the shirt - see you at the game!

Waldorf writes:

Nothing better than a PR department letter that gets a coach's name attached to it.

And least he's not "apologizing" for going 5-6 with a preaseason #3 team in the country like some coaches did in one of these UT PR department letter.

Good riddance Foolmore.

RPWhite writes:

"The forecast for sunny", he is so excited, he cannot contol what he is writing or thinking. I love it. Go Vols!

DonJuan writes:

in response to Major_Magilicutty:

Let's lock in? Ooooooookay...???

Anyway...GO VOLS!!!

Someone has never played football before.

jhnshft writes:

yeah, wish the letter felt a little more like Coach wrote it. anyways, this is the first home opener i'm missing in 13 years. I live in New York now, but I will be living in big orange country on Saturday.

tom.johnson59#1360512 writes:

COACH KIFFIN;
GLAD TO HAVE YOU AS COACH OF OUR
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL TEAM.
EVERYBODY GET YOUR SHIRTS
CAUSE ITS TIME.

GO VOLS

Major_Magilicutty writes:

Yeah...should read...the weather forecast for SATURDAY is 83 and partly sunny.

Geez...what a maroon :-P

Hickmc writes:

Yeah I wish it was a real letter. Marketing......

JoeVols writes:

I am sure glad encouraged me to wear orange... I would've felt real dumb if I wore my john deere shirt......

Major_Magilicutty writes:

in response to DonJuan:

Someone has never played football before.

So what exactly does that mean then? Enlighten me?

I just must have missed that terminology when playing for the West Oak Ridge Boy's Club Team
;-D

topgun writes:

Just wonderin'. At the top and bottom of the pages there are the captions "NEWER" and "OLDER." We should would ask KNS to change those captions to "DUMB" and "DUMBER" for bammer and gaytur trolls who insist on posting here. Maybe they could supersize that to "DUMBEST, on occasion!!"

Vols win big. I don't care if it is Sunny or Satady. GO VOLS!

HHUUMMBBLLEE writes:

LET'S STRAP IT ON AND HHIITT SOMEONE!!!!!!

RunningWithTheVols writes:

in response to gatorbait65:

Not worried at all about The Swamp. Who's the Gators back-up QB, anyway?

gnm53108 writes:

Im with most of the previous posters.Let Lane do his own talking,well in this case letter writing.

I was expecting atleast one crack at fl,bama,or somebody...disapointed.

But in the same breath,how much griping ,from some, was there when he didnt go through the pr machine?

NeylandWest writes:

in response to Hickmc:

Yeah I wish it was a real letter. Marketing......

What proof do any of you have that this isn't his letter? Please show us.

go_vols_go writes:

Excited anyone? I know I am!!!!

gnm53108 writes:

in response to ohbama:

Did you ever write one to your mother?

KINGKONG writes:

Mann i got chills running down my spine.Im fired up Im ready to run through the T .I wonder if CLK has a position for me I can make a good backup to the clipboard holder.I dont care were CLK put me this give me a chance.

KINGKONG writes:

in response to ohbama:

We have a hater in the house as usual.HATER, HATER ,HATER YAW COME A DIME A DOZEN MAN YAW ARE A JOKE LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

doh writes:

in response to ohbama:

was that like the letter saban wrote to his fans after louisiana-monroe in 2007.LMAO

dirty_don writes:

in response to ohbama:

The bear is a nerd.

us43137415#376444 writes:

Coach Kiffin: You're in Big Orange Country, not Big White Country (although that CAN be taken 2 ways)..

WEAR ORANGE shirts, not white!

Sometimes, wear orange shirts with a white T, not white shirts with an orange T.

Orange comes first in "Orange and White."

Anybody else notice he's not wearing the Big Orange on clothing at all, other than the T?

10volunteers98 writes:

I`m a hard-core Vol fan from N.C.Won`t get to be at the game,but you can bet I`ll be watching!To all fellow Vol fans---Please make Tyler Bray and his family feel welcome at the game Saturday.Give them a BIG ORANGE welcome.We need him!So,please keep the booing down if our QB`s happen to mess up some.Remember.This IS the first game.These guys will no doubt be a little nervous.GO,VOLS!!!

voloffaith writes:

in response to long_vol:

Boy did someone wake up on the wrong side of the cot today! Started cute(a little) then went down hill from there. Defamatory in places and obscene in others. Obviously not a VOL or one that has a tremendous chip/hump on their shoulders.

On topic, it's futbol time in Tennesee!!!

armyvol22 writes:

in response to long_vol:

That's funny, but I would not use 'AARP' on anyone.

armyvol22 writes:

Just went to www.utsports.com and checked out the letter. It says Saturday not sunny.
You can read it below.

Letter to Fans from Lane Kiffin

Sept. 3, 2009

Dear Fans,

It's Time!

The start of the 2009 football season is finally here, and I can't tell you how excited I am to play our first game inside Neyland Stadium. The excitement around the program is unbelievable! Our players and coaches have worked extremely hard this summer and in fall camp. As I said back in November, we will not be out-worked, and I still stand by that statement today.

Saturday's season opener against Western Kentucky will be a landmark day for our entire program. I encourage everyone to come out early, enjoy the VolWalk and cheer loudly.

Part of what makes Tennessee so special is the fans. Your support, enthusiasm and excitement are contagious. Our coaches and players can feel it so join us for the Vol Walk at 10:35 beginning at the Torchbearer.

The weather forecast for Saturday is 83 and partly sunny - perfect weather for football.

If you don't have tickets yet, check out www.uttix.com.

The Big Orange Nation is a team of one and I would like to ask each of you to help us show the rest of the college football world just how united we are. We are asking fans to create a "SEA OF ORANGE" in the stands of Neyland Stadium. The official 2009 Tennessee football t-shirt is on sale at your favorite Vol shop. Buy your shirt, wear it to the game and let's create an event that none of us will soon forget.

If you are in town on Friday night, join the Pride of the Southland Band, the cheerleaders, and Smokey for the 3rd Annual Big Orange Blast pep rally and concert featuring country music star Sara Evans at World's Fair Park.

Thanks for your support. I will see you at Neyland Stadium on Saturday!

Let's Lock In. It's Time!

Go Vols!

Lane Kiffin

doubledown writes:

Yep, DEFINITELY someone in Marketing wrote this one. Could you imagine Kiffin sitting down and writing something like this (NO).

As to VOL WALK.. This is also wrong.. Anybody who's been there, knows very well the VOL WALK starts from the Football facility, not at the Torchbearer.. It's not exactly like they bus the team 1 block to get there, so if you want to see your favorite player and avoid the crowds, stand nearer to the practice facility as they walk out towards the Torchbearer.

mbible1utk#324980 writes:

in response to HHUUMMBBLLEE:

LET'S STRAP IT ON AND HHIITT SOMEONE!!!!!!

"Strap it on".... not a good way to put that... how about.... "Gear up" or something.

In all seriousness, the letter would be 100 times cooler if he just said....

Dear Vol fans,

It's time.

Sincerely,

Lane Kiffin.

jakethevolguy writes:

in response to long_vol:

Someone has a warped sense of humor and is definately NOT a VOL fan.

GO BIG ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!1

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

in response to ohbama:

Looks like you missed another excellent chance to keep your fingers off the key board.

Volunteerfan writes:

I do not care if the drunk guy who sits in section x row 12 seat 9 (if that is even a real seat) wrote this letter, you guys are kind of missing the point. Get Fired Up!! Not Tear Down!!

TommyJack writes:

Marketing? So what? Takes dinero to run this program. Too many negative nellies. :)

keepitreal4vols writes:

in response to long_vol:

haha, spoken like a true NASCAR fan that has watched their favorite driver plug their corporate sponsor during every interview. Perhaps it is the trend in college sports today.
Signed,
PapaJohns.com Bowl
San Deigo County Credit Union Poinsetta Bowl
Meineke car care bowl
Rose Bowl presendted by Citi
Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl
Konica Minolta Gator Bowl
and
The Toilet Bowl

VolunteerLifer writes:

As the old coach used to say, "Time to get high in the saddle!"

This week we play Western Kentucky, and that's bad news for the Hilltoppers!!

I'm glad you are our coach, CLK.

Lead us Down the Field!!! Go Volunteers!!!

Cldvols1 writes:

I'm fired up and CLK's tryin to fire all of us up! Put your da*n issues aside and lets support our new squad and make this an experience they won't soon forget. This is the beginning of an era we've all been waitin for, Rocky Top back to prominence! Now Go Vols!!!

jakethevolguy writes:

in response to long_vol:

Evidently someone else shares my opinion since your post was removed. LOL & KMA

integam writes:

Alright... who booked Sara Evans for the pep rally? Don't they know who she is married to? Jay Barker, former QB of the Crimson Tide. LOL

All that aside, I am excited to see the improvements on the team. It is the first year of the new TN Vols! I don't know what their won-loss record will be, but the team attitude is much better than I have seen it since Al Wilson graduated!

V0LUNT33R writes:

in response to hiresanders:

Shouldn't you use spell check, before calling other people idiots? You know what they say about people who point fingers... "when you point your finger at someone, you have four more pointing back at you."

Cldvols1 writes:

in response to Major_Magilicutty:

Yeah...should read...the weather forecast for SATURDAY is 83 and partly sunny.

Geez...what a maroon :-P

Haven't you ever heard of typo's? Like the one you have, maroon? What, your callin him a color now. Look out CLK is a maroon!LOL Go post somewhere else where you comments are not scrolled over! Later M&M

reelvol writes:

in response to doubledown:

Vol Walk is starting from Torchbearer. New change this year. The players always stay off-site on Friday's before game and I assume will be bussed directly to the Torchbearer.

I won't fill my post with sarcasim but I just don't want people to miss the Vol Walk with bad information.

keepitreal4vols writes:

in response to long_vol:

WOW, the KNS staff has a zero tolerance today. Geeez, it was a funny post but I tend to laugh when I see people trip and fall. Maybe I am the warped minded one.
I would bet the sensitive, polictically correct ones who suggested removal of that post are the same ones that will tap you on the shoulder during the game and tell you sit down.

Volunteerfan writes:

in response to supersmo18:

Dang!!! you mean I got leftovers?

Agee_Vols_82 writes:

in response to doubledown:

They changed the VOL WALK this year. Check the link posted below. "Hamilton Letter"

QQ Row 13 seats 53 and 54, The wife and I will be there loud and proud...

Orange Swarm
GO VOLS!!!!!

UTVol39 writes:

in response to us43137415#376444:

WEAR ORANGE shirts, not white!

Orange comes first in "Orange and White."

What are you a girl? What does it matter if he wears an orange shirt with a white "T" or a white shirt with an orange "T". I am assuming your panties are orange with a white t, Nancy.

Some of you people need to get lives. It's football time in Tennessee and we got people over here worrying about what our coach is wearing. Are you AllVolinArkiesaw in disguise?

ctownvol writes:

in response to ohbama:

Maybe you should write one to your English teacher apologiZing for sleeping through class.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to KingsportVol:

Hahaha

Oh that was so wrong....but funny as h#ll.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to long_vol:

I cant decide if those are more funny or sad.

Well...sad if they become true.