Newcomers quickly adjusting

Brown, other freshmen, able to deliver for UT in opener

Bryce Brown lowered his shoulder, plowed over a tackler and bowled into the end zone standing up.

The Tennessee freshman running back took a scary hit, slowly gathered himself, jogged off the field - and came back to finish with 100 yards on the ground.

The top-rated recruit even delivered a vicious hit as a de facto defender after an interception, forcing a Western Kentucky fumble in the process.

If new coach Lane Kiffin is intent on making the Vols a more physical bunch, it certainly helps to have the marquee name in his first class appear so willing to give and take the punishment.

"Well, I just wanted to come in here and play with effort," Brown said after Saturday's easy 63-7 win at Neyland Stadium. "Never give up on a play, and I saw the ball pop up and immediately I was thinking, 'Get it knocked down.' But the guy had caught it already, so I just tried to knock it out of his hands.

"Was (the hit) that bad? I didn't even know, I was just in there trying to get the ball out."

It definitely came loose, and even though the Vols weren't able to recover it, the play was a clear indication the newcomers are capable of giving Kiffin what he wants.

Brown racked up 104 yards in his anticipated debut, including the bullish two-yard run that opened the scoring in the second quarter. Backfield mate David Oku added 42 more yards and a pair of short touchdown carries. Marsalis Teague and Nu'Keese Richardson combined for nine catches and a touchdown.

And though Brown had one hiccup with a run he cut short along the sideline, none of them seemed to shy away from contact.

"Bryce had a great hit on the tipped-ball interception that we weren't able to get back but he forced a fumble," Kiffin said. "He's an explosive player, and it was good to see him.

"Marsalis was extremely impressive, especially for him to start and all the pressure that comes with that. It's easier to be Bryce, he got to come in after a couple carries after (Montario) Hardesty had it going. I was most proud of Marsalis out of all those guys, but Bryce played well."

So did just about everybody else against the overmatched Hilltoppers, but given all the attention the true freshmen have received and the pressure that's on them to produce right away, UT got exactly what it needed from the opener.

The first Vol Walk is out of the way. The Vols have run through the 'T' and played in front of nearly 100,000 fans, and more important, they know what to expect from the week of practice leading up to Saturday.

And as limited as that experience might be, at least UT has more than it did a week ago with a better opponent coming to Neyland Stadium in UCLA (TV: ESPN, 4 p.m.).

"This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone," Brown said. "When Coach Kiffin came in here he told everybody he would give them a chance to play, and he gave all of us (freshmen) an opportunity to play, all of us a chance in fall camp to show what we can do.

"Everybody who showed up and showed that, he gave them a chance and put us in the game. It just shows how honest this staff is and what they truly believe in."

Right now it's physical play and youth.

So far they have gone together just fine.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

dvhill100 writes:

Lk has certainly delivered so far. Keep it up. GO VOLS

Pdiddy10 writes:

WE NEED TO GET PHILLIPS SIMS FROM BAMA! HES THE QB WE NEED! WE ALSO NEED MICHAEL DYER! GET IN BERRYS HEAD HE PLPAYED AWFUL GET IN HIS HEAD! COME ON RECRUITS! PHILLIP SIMS! GO VOLS!

Laydbakvol writes:

Poodiddy,
Berry didn't PLPAY awful. The rest of the defense played great like they're supposed to. Did somebody get into your head?

FWBVol writes:

in response to Pdiddy10:

Do you really have a clue? Yes, Sims is a great prospect at QB, but at the Elite Eleven QB camp Bray outplayed Sims. Bray really fits the Kiffin system better than Sims. Kiffin likes taller quarterbacks and Sims is only 6-1 or 6-2 while Bray is 6-6. Both Sims and Bray have a chance to be great college QBs.

As for the Berry stuff, you were posting it yesterday and several of us tried explaining things to you then. Berry played a nice solid game.

It wasn't his fault Western Ky., wasn't throwing in his direction. And the fact that he was in on a minimal number of tackles is an indication the D-linemen and LBs were doing their jobs containing the Hilltoppers and were making tackles within four or five yards of the line of scrimmage. When your safeties are making a lot of tackles then your defense is probably in trouble a large part of the time. On top of that, Berry didn't play much in the second half when the game was in hand.

And I would imagine Monte Kiffin kept the defensive scheme very basic yesterday so he won't tip his hand to the better teams on the schedule such as Florida, Georgia and Alabama.

Finally, UT is pushing Eric Berry for the Heisman. He's the best defensive player in the SEC and everyone knows it so they are going to scheme around him to keep him from making plays.

His plays will come though because EB is a BIG GAME PLAYER.

ThurmondEppy writes:

in response to Pdiddy10:

d-u-m-b.

StroVol writes:

in response to Pdiddy10:

What? Shut it.

chaos001 writes:

"I was most proud of Marsalis out of all those guys."

AMEN!!! WAY TO REPRESENT, MR. TEAGUE!!!

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to chaos001:

"I was most proud of Marsalis out of all those guys."

AMEN!!! WAY TO REPRESENT, MR. TEAGUE!!!

Teague played like he was in his third season; Gotta love that!!

ThaiVolFan writes:

I am in Thailand but I'm from West Tennesssee. I had a good feeling Teague was going to show out. I'm so happy for all of our freshmen. Keep building on the momentum boys.
GBO!

in response to FWBVol:

His plays will come though because EB is a BIG GAME PLAYER.

Great post! The average IQ per post on any thread goes up when you contribute. Keep up the good work!

in response to sg23:

Oh, they'll be MUCH better. I would be satisfied if we scored half as many points and gave up twice as many as we did on Saturday. That would come to about a 31-14 score, which is probably a way bigger margin than the line on the game. I would take that right now and rest everybody for Florida. Except of course that the guys need the experience and I REALLY want to see the game!

douglasawilliams#582863 writes:

The BB goal line run was my favorite play. He reminded me of Earl Cambell bowling over players like that. Now, I understand that wasn't Brandon Spikes he pancaked, but give us starving fans something to believe in. These young freshmen could really help us this season. Man, that fade that Teague ran under was pretty to. Still am not 100% sure of Crompton's ball release speed(sure did seem to move slow) but he was effective and thats what counts.

douglasawilliams#582863 writes:

in response to ThaiVolFan:

GBO!

Urban didn't recruit him for the heck of it. It was a major coup for CLK because he was an in state blue chipper and it prevented your biggest competition from using him against you. He very might become our go to guy this season. Its still early and that was the lowest rated FBS team in the country, I know, I know, but the T may rise yet this season. Man if we get over 500 yards against UCLA, nobody can say that this game was a fluke. I'm not calling stub hub for my SEC championship game tickets yet, but after the ineptitude of last season actually scoring a lot of touchdowns against anyone is a welcome relief.

douglasawilliams#582863 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I believe that Bray had to like what he saw Saturday. I'm really shocked he only has 2 offers after a great showing at the elite eleven camp this summer. Hope we get him.

in response to douglasawilliams#582863:

I have a feeling he will get a lot more than that as the season goes on. Most of the "multi-stars" were tabbed for stardom from junior high on; Bray is a late-bloomer who has yet to grow into his body. I hope we get him, and don't really care if his current ranking is all that high. Our staff thinks he can play at this level and I tend to trust their judgment.

jman33163 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I agree with the score range, we will not score 63 and probably give up a couple touchdowns. I don't believe we will be able to rest anyone to accomplish the win though. Well, maybe the running backs cause it seems as though we have 20 or 30 of them ;)
Go Big Orange!

murrayvol writes:

in response to Pdiddy10:

If you intend to keep riding this horse, you simply must learn how to spell played.

murrayvol writes:

in response to sg23:

They will be much better than WKU but these Vols will be improving every week of the year.

murrayvol writes:

in response to FWBVol:

His plays will come though because EB is a BIG GAME PLAYER.

Nice retort FWB. I don't think this Pdiddy cat is a serious poster.

GeneralNeylandsReturn writes:

in response to Pdiddy10:

we get it diddy...your comments are registered. maybe you should apply for recruiting coordinator, except that your comments on berry show your lack of real football knowledge.