Hamilton says Vols working on USC deal

In reference to head football coach Lane Kiffin's comments on Monday that a series between Tennessee and Southern Cal is in the works, UT athletic director Mike Hamilton had the following comment on his Twitter feed today:

"Since Lane mentioned it-we do have a verbal to play SoCal in 21 and 22, but no contract yet. Another great series for the Vols and our fans."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

RockyToptoNeyland writes:

12 years..................great

govols7462 writes:

well that's a long way off

DrWitch writes:

DrWitch say Kiffin gone by then. DrWitch say too far away to care. DrWitch say UCLA most important now. Bones never lie.

CalPoly_Vol_Fan writes:

Get a contract to play Texas...a UT/UT matchup would be awesome.

Huttdawg100 writes:

This needs to happen within the next 5 years... In the National Championship game.... Lane Kiffin Vs. Petey C.. Jesse Scroggins Vs. Matt Barkley... Sounds like destiny!

chad_t31 writes:

Dr. Witch an impostor. Dr. Witch not real WD. Dr. Witch not as clever as he thinks. (attention-seeker my friend, come up with your own material)

I agree with the post that mentioned this game being 12 years away. Long time to wait but it will be a great series to wait for, a la the OU, NEB, and OSU series.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to DrWitch:

Witch,I agree.Too far away for me to care and Kiff will surely be gone by then.Then again,he is a young whipper snaper that may stay around for a long time.Good coaches get hired away from their dream job every year.I will be in my eighty's when this game takes place.If I am still alive,chances are I will not have enough memory to even know there is a game of football.Speaking from family genes.That dreaded brain disease has taken 6 of my family members already.I hope something else takes me first.

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

we can still dress you in Orange and bring you along my friend. Keep your glass half full and keep looking up.

on the subject, let's worry bout UCLA right now

bugman (Inactive) writes:

2021 2022 what a joke

golfballs03 writes:

It's depressing to think how old I will be then...

imw8n4u writes:

"Since Lane mentioned it...." - sounds like something my boss would say if I said something I shouldn't have during a conference call.

VolFanInMO writes:

in response to golfballs03:

It's depressing to think how old I will be then...

Shoot, I may be dead by then.

AWOLVol writes:

Sad thing is, I remember hearing about the Miami home-and-home when it was contracted. Seemed like a long way off then. Now it seems like we played them forever and a day ago...time certainly does fly, and so do UT football seasons (except last year...ugh, that dragged on and on).

volman91 writes:

in response to DrWitch:

DrWitch WE love witchdoctor,WE read witchdoctor. You sir are no WITCHDOCTOR!!

Try DrPOSER seems more fitting.

Keep up the posts Witchdoctor and keep rolling the bones.

Virgil_Tutwiler writes:

Just in time for my 50th birthday....Ugh!

volunteers4life writes:

I dont advocate shying away from playing anybody but, does this really sound like a smart strategic move for UT? We already play in the hardest conference in all of football. I am not recommending a powder puff non-conference schedule like many other SEC schools adhere to however, USC is a perennial top 5 program. Seems like a tough season could get even tougher by adding a team of this caliber to the out of conference list. Makes sense for USC since they don't play the caliber of teams typically in conference that we do throughout the year but, our SOS is already pretty unbelievable as it is. Sure would be a big buildup with tons of excitement leading up to the game in Knox plus tons of great media exposure for the program but, when the team has to travel to CA, the distance can be a big strain on the team's overall performance(see LSU vs. Washington last weekend). Thoughts???

volunteers4life writes:

Or maybe LSU's problem was Chavis' favorite call on third and 10, playing the 20 yard prevent defense. BTW, Chavis' defense didnt look so hot against a team that had lost like 13 straight or something like that. Granted they had tons of injuries last year and have a new coaching staff this year but, I still expected LSU to win a little more handily than they did.

LadyVolsEighTimes writes:

Long ways off, Cali may have sloughed off into the Ocean by then.

I do wish we would schedule USAF, Army or Navy more often.

Diggs writes:

Scheduling the tough teams hasn't hurt Pat Summitt and the Lady Vols.

It should happen sooner...

Diggs

SoFlaVol writes:

in response to volunteers4life:

In 12 years UT could be the dynasty in college fotball and USC could be the "has been" team.

TSATT923 writes:

There is talk that this team is being run like a pro football team. Well, in the pros, there is never an "easy" game. It's time to schedule like a "pro" team. A strong non-conference schedule puts you right into the national title mix, before you play even one of these games. Schedule a Big 10, Big East, Big 12 or ACC opponent each year. Throw in a MAC, service academy, Sun-Belt or C-USA team every couple of years. Not two per year. We're in the SEC. Pretty soon that won't be good enough. Stay ahead of the competition. Be pro-active and layoff the creampuffs. Put yourself in a position to succeed every year. The recruiting classes are coming. The coaching staff is solid. The fans will travel. Give the voters a real reason to open their eyes and recognize excellence.

tdforvols writes:

12 years flies by pretty fast when you get to be my age....

Madkels writes:

I'll bet neither coach is still at his current post. Any takers?

in response to abnerPeabody:

OUCH! I hate to hear that about your family history! Hopefully, we'll have a handle on that (I assume you mean Alzheimer's, or is it Huntingdon's?) before too much longer. Nothing could be more horrifying than losing one's mind long before physical death. My prayers are with you!

in response to VolFanInMO:

Shoot, I may be dead by then.

We may ALL be dead if the 2012 predictions come true(;-P)! We've GOT to win a national championship before then(;-D)!

in response to Diggs:

Scheduling the tough teams hasn't hurt Pat Summitt and the Lady Vols.

It should happen sooner...

Diggs

I see your point, but a football schedule is a whole different animal than a basketball schedule. The long time-lag in scheduling a big-time opponent is not unusual. You have TWO tight schedules to be coordinated, with not a lot of possible dates to choose from.

in response to vol1:

I hope you have a good short-notice getaway plan in place(;-P)!