09/09/09: A look at UT football through the years with the number 9

Photo with no caption

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

mbible1utk#324980 writes:

um... okay

chrisw2967 writes:

I wonder how long they worked on this article ?

justincredible369#357762 writes:

AH the Memories

FWBVol writes:

Come on KNS staff, you can pick up a few more morsels out of the media guide.

Record of Vols on Sept. 9, 4-0.

Number of times scoring more than 30 points in games played Sept. 9, three.

First win on Sept. 9--1972, 34-3 over Georgia Tech, which also is widest margin of victory on Sept. 9. Vols finished season with a 10-2 record.

The Vols beat this week's opponent, UCLA 24-6 on Sept. 9, 1989 on their way to an 11-1 season and the SEC championship.

Also beat Georgia 30-27 on Sept. 9, 1995 on the way to another 11-1 season.

Most recent win on Sept. 9...2006 as UT beat Air Force 31-30 on the way to a 9-4 season.

UT's overall record in years the Vols play a game on Sept. 9, 41-8.

I think any Volunteer fan will settle for the average 10-2 season of years UT plays a Sept. 9 game.

Laydbakvol writes:

I can die happy now.

OldSmokey writes:

Well at least here is a good read on EB.

steve22043#233791 writes:

I'm not saying it WILL be but this COULD be one of the best Vol seasons ever. I'm anxious to see how it plays out. I'm even thinking we could beat Florida.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to chrisw2967:

I wonder how long they worked on this article ?

This news service wears orange but in reality they are all other colors but orange. Spend some money signing up with VOLQUEST if you want the latest VOL news that's not just trying to stir up negative debate.

RockinTop writes:

in response to OldSmokey:

Well at least here is a good read on EB.

that was an awesome read! Thanks for sharing it!

Go Big Orange!

TommyJack writes:

Idea for this article maybe sounded good in staff meeting. In print, not so much.

golfballs03 writes:

Are they bored at the KNS? Is there nothing else they can write about? Are they really struggling for material?

Bloodrunzorange writes:

How many times did Ferris Bhuler miss school? 9 times! Go Vols!

knoxtenor writes:

While I appreciate KNS' wish to be trendy, à la Sports Illustrated's "By The Numbers" blurb, I have to wonder if column space could be better used in some hard reporting rather than randomly querying the records database.

bhjohnso#207063 writes:

why so serious, everyone?

InertGas writes:

Duh !

Volunatic writes:

Well I enjoyed the "9"s bit.
I was surprised by some of the "9"s that FWBVol posted (good work on those, by the way).
I thought that they would have played more 9/9 games than that, but I looked back over some of their old schedules-- they didn't play until the last week in September prior to the '60's.
Weird wild stuff.

in response to OldSmokey:

Well at least here is a good read on EB.

Thanks for the link! Do you think Jackson might be angling to be Berry's agent when he turns pro(;-P)! I don't expect Berry to actually WIN the Heisman, I just want him to play well enough to be WORTHY of winning it, to have people OTHER than UT people ask why the heck he DIDN'T win it if he does play that well and DOESN'T win it!

murrayvol writes:

in response to steve22043#233791:

I was thinking the same thing steve......then I woke up.

murrayvol writes:

in response to johnlg00:

At least 2 games this year will give EB a chance to be a part of the conversation. Expect him to study hard for those.

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to FWBVol:

Come on KNS staff, you can pick up a few more morsels out of the media guide.

Record of Vols on Sept. 9, 4-0.

Number of times scoring more than 30 points in games played Sept. 9, three.

Also beat Georgia 30-27 on Sept. 9, 1995 on the way to another 11-1 season.

UT's overall record in years the Vols play a game on Sept. 9, 41-8.

FWBVol, if you're auditioning for an open KNS job, it's yours. Excellent additions.

Personally, I liked the article. But then again, my favorite number is 9, so one should consider the source.

Go Big Orange, Beat the Bruins!!