Willis, Miller commit to UT, glad to be playing together

Corey Miller and Brandon Willis had all but given up playing college football together. The two highly touted defensive ends from Byrnes High School in Duncan, S.C., would surely continue their football careers at different locales.

Then, they both committed to Tennessee on Sunday.

“It just kind of worked out that way,” said Willis, a 6-foot-4, 250-pounder who is ranked as the No. 2 defensive end in the state of South Carolina by Rivals.com. “I guess it was just meant to be.”

It didn’t always seem that way. While Willis mulled over his many college choices, Miller committed to Florida State in July.

A trip to Knoxville last weekend changed his tune.

“It feels good,” Miller, a 6-4, 230-pounder who is ranked as the No. 2 end in the state, said of his commitment.

Miller said UT proved to be a better fit than Florida State while he extolled the virtues of UT’s coaching staff.

“That’s a once-in-a-lifetime chance,” Miller said of the opportunity to play for UT defensive line coach Ed Orgeron and defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin.

Willis said he’s just happy to have the decision behind him. Willis and Miller both were considered among the top 100 prospects in the nation and, subsequently, dealt with plenty of media coverage.

“It’s good,” Willis said of his commitment. “It takes a load off.”

Willis said he was impressed with Orgeron, Kiffin and the connection among UT’s coaches.

“It just felt like home,” Willis said of UT.

Miller can’t help but imagine starting alongside his defensive end mate throughout college.

“That would be pretty cool,” Miller said, “just like high school.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

justTRUSTme writes:

Good news, how refreshing!

stayingorange writes:

There's no such thing as Duncan High School in SC. Byrnes, one of the elite programs in the nation that is located in Duncan, SC, maybe????
Regardless, good get for the Vols

CalPoly_Vol_Fan writes:

Things will get better for us fellas. Be excited about the future...accept the present. I still think we have at least a winning season. Put Stephens in there, I always thought he was a good QB...he is good enough for us to win.

Give_It_My_ALL writes:

Two Quality 4 Stars. Glad to see these young men looking into the future and not letting the present impact their decision!

TommyJack writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Ole Teej still believes. We need to show some testes in FL game (for sake of recruiting and team pride)

smashmouth98 writes:

I love to hear that. Does anyone have any info about prospects this past weekend? did they have fun?

eldr5#344719 writes:

Oh my! The 28th and 38th overall rated players in the country. Sweet! Rivals says that Miller will eventually be a big time DT.

The_Greater_Pumpkin writes:

I hope these guys can score! Welcome aboard!

tngivem6 writes:

wow..Big orange D-fense loading up..how many DE do we have comitted so far?..

man..watching replay of game and it still hurts..

our defense is so good but our offense is terrible.
.hows that happen?

mlsoft#228820 writes:

in response to marc_ash#231781:

Marc_ash...

You seem to have better than average connections to the powers that be on the coaching staff, and I enjoy reading your comments. I was very puzzled last night (and remain so today) as to why Kiffin "did not think about" putting in Nick to replace Crompton.

Regardless of the relative merits of the two quarterbacks in practice, it was obvious that Crompton was not only "not getting the job done", but by the third quarter it was pretty obvious that he was not going to get it done the rest of the game. Rattled does not begin to describe him -- he had come unglued, a trait that he displayed all last year.

Kiffin admitted as much when he totally took us out of our game plan and went almost entirely with the run even with 8-10 men in the box against us.

Why not put in Nick?? I do not see how he could possibly have done worse than Crompton.

Please give us your view on this if you can.

mlsoft

heyitsme writes:

in response to Jamestown17:

Why don't you also go to a different board if you are that disenchanted?

TXVol14 writes:

On scout.com it also says that Demarco Cobbs committed to Tennessee today.
does anyone know more about that?

thevoice writes:

Wow, this is FANTASTIC!!!! And a nice distraction. Welcome gentlemen.

orangepridenation writes:

good pick up for the vols, keep up the solid defense for the vols. still need some offensive linemen though. i'm still waiting for the day i come on this site and read the headline that says "crompton quits football forever, becomes the first ever walk-off senior quarterback"

go vols!!

blitzshoot writes:

Can they play Saturday? They must see how quickly freshmen can play...great news. It helps knowing that the talent pool is now getting deeper and no longer the kiddie pool.

orangepridenation writes:

in response to Jamestown17:

yea, and you would ride the bench.

mlsoft#228820 writes:

I should have added that the two DE's that just committed are great additions. Our defense played great last night, especially given the ineptness of our offense which put them in some difficult positions and forced them to spend far too much time on the field.

My Christmas wish for da Vols is for a handful of extremely aggressive and mean gorillas for the offensive line. Great gentlemen off the field, fine students, but earth moving bulldozers with attitude on the field.

mlsoft

eldr5#344719 writes:

Demarco Cobbs committed too. The #7 rated WR by Scouts. Pretty nice news on a crappy day after hangover.

Ironcity writes:

Great news on the recruiting front. They say football is a team sport but I don't think it matters how good the other 21 guys are if your QB's melts down anytime something goes wrong. Crompton plays with way to much emotion. I have never seen a player as down as him in the 3rd quarter of game whereby we were only trailing by 3 points.

blitzshoot writes:

UT can lose the rest of them and I'll still support Coach Kiffin. Can't turn dog %&*& into a championship contender in nine months.

notoriousBIGorange writes:

Alright, now I'm convinced...Crompton is a plant. There is no other way to explain the difference between what he showed in game 1 and in practice vs what he shows in big games.
Yep, the AL boosters sent him here as revenge to undermine Fulmer and destroy the TN football program. I'm exposing him now as a sleeper cell that must be removed before it's too late!
I'm just sayin...

rockytopatl writes:

in response to orangepridenation:

go vols!!

Several of these guys will eventually be offensive linemen. It's a lot easier to transition from defense to offense than the other way.

soccervol writes:

Good years soon to come boys...Vols out!

orangepridenation writes:

actually...the vols are sitting in a really good spot right now. i mean think about it, even if our team sucks, our program will always be on the map, because of our fan base and our past success, and the fact that we play in the sec. we are one of the few "big name" schools that isn't already completely loaded with talent. which means we will not have any problems getting recruits, because not only do these young men realize they will get an opportunity to play soon, they will be at a school where it's easy to get noticed by the nfl. some of you are simply losing hope too soon, we really aren't that far away at all. probably just a quarterback and a couple of lineman away for that matter.

Rick4UT writes:

I wish that folks would quit bad mouthing the Vols.....They are young men (kids)we can only do so much with what we have. We have some great freshman and will have a great recruitng year this year and will start kicking b__t again by the middle of next year. GO VOLS !!!!!!!

SIMSVOL writes:

in response to Jamestown17:

Then go to another web site BrisVol -
Don't need you here.
You'll eat those words in about a year or two - don't need you BrisVol -

blitzshoot writes:

Be patient folks. UT is no different than other SEC teams. They have all been through it. The worse scenario is looking back and knowing you should had been more patient. Ciach Kiffin will get it done, but it will take time to get his players.

orangepridenation writes:

in response to Jamestown17:

because any true fan (which you obviously are not) sticks by their team no matter what. you have to take the bad with the good, and we are in a rough spot right now, but we WILL come out of it. i mean look back at our history over the last 100 years and you'll see why 100,000 fans turn up at every game. because we have pride. and nothing makes me show my colors more than a fair-weather fan like yourself.

blitzshoot writes:

in response to eldr5#344719:

Thanks for the great news. Proves that Kiffination is working hard. Go vols....try a raw egg and tomato juice for the hangover.

txvolsfan writes:

in response to Jamestown17:

I don't see anyone recruiting you!!!
So who really cares what you think?
TXVOLSFAN
Why don't you take the Vol off your name

crimsonviper writes:

in response to blitzshoot:

I know yesterday was tough on Vol fans,but these three committing should make everybody feel better.Patience isn't easy I know but it is required.The Vols will get there.Top tier programs do that.History proves this.
Hang in there Tenn. will be back.True fans of the game know this regardless of where their loyalty lie.....Go VOLS!

txvolsfan writes:

in response to Jamestown17:

Then just say, "NO" and GO!!!

txvolsfan writes:

in response to crimsonviper:

It's hard to cook a gourmet meal with leftovers!!!
TXVOLSFAN

Always appreciate your class Crimsonviper

UTVol4Life80 writes:

This is absolutely HUGE!!! GO BIG ORANGE~reel em in coaches!!!!!

JTinCharlotte writes:

in response to Jamestown17:

I usually don't post, I just read. But I have trouble understanding some of the "fans" on here. I was born a vol and will die a vol. Even last year the games came on Sports South again Monday night and I would watch again. I guess not every one on here is really a fan.........
fan [ fan ] (plural fans)

noun

Definition:

1. enthusiastic admirer: an enthusiastic admirer of a celebrity or public performer

TrueVol70 writes:

Excellent news, indeed! Three more great commits!

chad_t31 writes:

Nothing like an idiotic Florida fan running his mouth (as usual). And before u say it, yes I know our coach ran his talking about your coach. Get over it. If u can't see that he's a new coach walking into a program coming off of a bad year, trying to pump up his new players and fanbase, then you're worse off than I thought. If I'm not mistaking, I believe jim tressel said the same thing about Michigan when he took the job at OSU. It's a tactic used by most. One thing is for damn sure, nothing u say is going to have a minute chance of determining the outcome of the game or how many points you're going to "hang on us." the only sympathy we as vol fans have, is that u suffer from a bad case of chronic stupidity. Get well soon, chump.

Good pick ups today. Two DEs from the same school ranked so highly...pretty impressive. Cobbs is a nice get as well. We've had some nice WRs from OK.

rockytothetop writes:

Go vols!! Man I'm excited about the future... I'm even excited about next weekend. BELIEVE!! Sometimes being an underdog isn't so bad...

Cldvols1 writes:

Welcome boys! Go Vols!!!

CHS52VOL writes:

in response to TommyJack:

I'm with the Witch Doctor and 'ole teeJ. Go Vols!

RockyTopVolFan writes:

Thank you for your commitment to the BIG ORANGE!

Welcome aboard, thanks for making my day better!

GO VOLS!

tennezz writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie:

And the azz has spoken!

Gator_Hater (Inactive) writes:

in response to JTinCharlotte:

fan [ fan ] (plural fans)

noun

Definition:

You don't have to just watch it on Monday nights now. Go to www.secdigitalnetwork.com and you can watch them on your computer (can't believe I'm thankful a UF fan told me about that one).

JTinCharlotte writes:

in response to Gator_Hater:

Thanks, Now I can watch more than normal......twice a week is just not enough sometimes.

jst4tdyvols writes:

in response to Jamestown17:

If you could read and write that would be great,a hole we just played for a sec championship 2007,idiot you are not a vol.GOVOLS

ChattaVegasVol writes:

in response to Jamestown17:

I hear Florida needs more idiot bandwagon fans!!! Please feel free to jump ship johnson!!!

miamiVOL writes:

dont be surprised if 5* RB M.Lattimore of the same HS picks the Vols over AU, USC, UF

LiveFaith writes:

Wow Hooker, how many 2nd ranked DEs does the state of South Carolina have? :-)

Can't wait to see Monte's defensive front NINE in a couple of years!!!

1Big_Orange_Fan writes:

It's obvious to me that Coach O is a major draw for these young men. I think we are a QB and one season away from competing in the SEC. I say we switch IMMEDIATELY to Stephens. Never seen a worse QB in college football than JC. Thought we pulled Stephens too soon last year.

abnermc writes:

in response to stayingorange:

Regardless, good get for the Vols

It is Byrnes High School in Duncan ,S.C.. The # 1 High School team in the country.Great players from a great football school.