Commit Cobbs felt comfortable on visit

Off the Hook: Found a video of DeMarco Cobbs

It wasn’t a well-kept secret but fans weren’t complaining when they finally learned that DeMarco Cobbs is indeed committed to Tennessee.

The news leaked Sunday evening that Cobbs, who is widely considered one of the top athlete prospects in the nation, had told UT’s coaches he was committing.

“It feels good just to get that burden off my shoulder,” the 6-foot-1, 200-pounder said on Channel 9 in Tulsa. “(I) don’t have to worry about the phone calls and what not from different people, as far as interviews.

“I feel real good about it. I feel real confident in my decision. I’m just ready to play my senior year and just have fun with my teammates.”

Cobbs, who starred in several ways at Tulsa (Okla.) Central High School, said UT’s coaches have told him he’ll play receiver.

He rushed for more 1,100 yards and 20 touchdowns last season, threw for more than 1,000 yards and ten touchdowns, caught six passes for more than 200 yards and two touchdowns, returned a kickoff 90 yards for a score and intercepted two passes in 2008.

“I know I’ve got a pretty good chance (with) my size to make an immediate impact as a freshman,” he said.

Cobbs could continue a strong, recent run of talented receivers to leave Oklahoma for UT. Gerald Jones and Robert Meachem are two examples.

“I wouldn’t say that played a part into my decision but I did look at that and I thought that was pretty cool that (those) two came from the same state and went to Tennessee and have been very successful,” Cobbs said. “Robert Meachem was an All-American there. I feel that I can go there and do the same also.”

Cobbs’ decision was all but made when he visited UT’s campus in August.

“It was a real nice campus,” he said. “The coaches and the fans treated me right down there.”

He said being around UT’s players was a key factor in his decision.

“The practices were very intense and I like the fact they have fun,” he said. “They play music while they are practicing. Everybody is all jacked up and they want to practice.

“It was basically just a family. I felt really comfortable there.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

KiFFiNOMiCS writes:

This kid is a game breaker for sure....every major program wanted this kid...he is going to be a BEAST FOR US!!!!!

Welcome aboard Mr. Cobbs!

dcrabtree813 writes:

WOW what a prospect.from a bad weekend 2 something positve.love the recruiting

VOLHolla writes:

Welcome Home - A very smart decision

Volunatic writes:

Glad you chose to be a Vol, DeMarco. We're looking forward to you doing great things for Tennessee!!!

Goosfraba writes:

Welcome aboard Cobbs! I hope you can add to this offense and help us win championships!

SEAL_9821 writes:

Watch and see if these commits don't spark more QB's to become interested in coming to UT

ChattaVol1 writes:

Welcome to big orange country,,,Bray to Cobbs, TD Tennessee!

kevin151 writes:

Some QB will de-committ and come on board... Give it a couple of weeks

Goosfraba writes:

Thanks Cobbs! You helped us to move up to fourth on Rivals recruiting rankings! This is gonna be a special class. We just need Jawuan James to go ahead and jump on board with us and maybe two more big O line commits. Then we might just have the #1 class this year!

smokedoctor writes:

Thanx for being a Vol, Brother Cobbs!

CRFVols writes:

QBs and O-line......let's get recruiting.

AJVol writes:

Now let's go get some BIG, fast OL. That might have helped saturday, or maybe it would have given crapton more time to look at the reciever before he threw to him!

VolTex writes:

Good stuff. These commits make this past weekend a bit more tolerable. Load up on OL and maybe a CB or two.

givehim6 writes:

Welcome to UT Mr. Cobbs Obviously Kiffin has shown he will play freshmen.

Vol86 writes:

yeh spot on crfv o-line

Elkabong1940 writes:

Well, we might not like his staying with Crompton the entire UCLA game, but you cannot argue with his recruitment success. I will give CLK the benefit of the doubt. The 2010 class is really shaping up. What we really need for next year are more offensive linemen. Don’t see too many of them yet.

newtonrail writes:

No. 9 in Sporting News overall list.

AJVol writes:

We need OL, the rest will fall in place.

whatcanbrowndoforyou writes:

in response to Goosfraba:

Jawuan james reportedly has UT way up on his list since he decommited from Alabama. I wonder what the big OL from North Carolina thought about big orange country this weekend. It's great to see these last 3 commitments jumping in the FAST LANE!! GO VOLS!!!!

OrangeCrush writes:

Welcome aboard DeMarco! Looking forward to seeing run down the field and into the checkerboard on Saturdays with 100K fans screaming.

Cldvols1 writes:

Looking good in the recruiting wars, Scout has the Vols ranked 1st in the SEC and 3rd in the nation in recruiting. I'll admit the future's looking bright but we all have waited since last season for this one and I don't wanna feel like I did last year! JC needs to get his head out of his arse and cowboy up! I'm hungry, fans are hungry and bigolly I wanna see UT have a decent season. Prediction 7-5 and a decent bowl...I hope! Now Go Vols!!!

RockyTop1_old writes:

If we had him last Saturday - we would not have lost to UCLA!! GO VOLS!!

Goosfraba writes:

I'm glad these recent commits can see the big picture. The loss we had against UCLA was a hard loss to accept. We should have won the game even with bad QB play. This loss might bring this team back down to earth though after the big win vs WK. Hopefully they'll continue to work and get better. This can still be a great year and with the recruiting we've got going the future will be too! Go Vols!

Coach_Joe writes:

in response to Cldvols1:

What do you consider a decent bowl? At 7-5 we'll be going to the Music City Bowl or Liberty Bowl.

Of course, after last year I guess any bowl is a decent bowl.

CRFVols writes:

in response to Cldvols1:

Good post, but CAN Crompton get his head out of his rear and play good enough? I just don't think so. I don't think he's good enough. Even at the WKY game he was making throws that were catches there, but would be int's against a D like Florida or other SEC teams. We made mistakes in that game that didn't matter, but would and will be huge against SEC teams. I remember the reports last year that he's great in practice, but it doesn't translate to the field...I think we're seeing that again. I don't think it's just his head, I just think he's not that good.

If he breaks out and has a season full of games like he had against WKY, I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong....but I just don't see it happening.

KiFFiNOMiCS writes:

My prediction Brunetti ends up at U.T.....he'll end up our other QB commit.

With a young O-Line we'll need a scrambler but I think this staff is really working him hard right now.

oldbasshead writes:

Boy, Tennessee is sure getting beatup this week by the media and Gator fans. Everybody is saying that the Gators will kill UT Saturday. If everything goes as the media and Gator fans and history says, UT will get killed. However, UT does have to show up and play. Surely the players and coaches at UT have some pride and ability. UT is wounded and backed in a corner and you know the rest of that story. Strange things can happened when one fails to consider the human element in situations like this. Every one is expecting the Gators to have a big victory. Don't be surprised if this story turns out differently.

tennezz writes:

vscebail#247785 writes:

in response to RockyTop1_old:

If we had him last Saturday - we would not have lost to UCLA!! GO VOLS!!

That's debatable, dude. ---- Somebody's got to pass the ball to him (not the defense) first!

KiFFiNOMiCS writes:

in response to vscebail#247785:

He could of just played QB....since he does already lol!

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to oldbasshead:

After last week,how can anyone believe we will win or even play close?I would like to see it happen,but if I was looking for a payday,I would put my money on Florida to win by at least 34 points.That would be a compliment to this team of Vols.We are about 2 more recruiting classes away from being close to other top 20 teams.Boy it hurts to say that.

Cldvols1 writes:

in response to Coach_Joe:

Of course, after last year I guess any bowl is a decent bowl.

Sorry Coach, decent for me meant any type of bowl since we failed to make it to one last year! I know 7-5's not gonna get us a bowl I want to be in but just 1 is a step in the right direction. Go Vols!!!

murrayvol writes:

Glad you're a Volunteer DeMarco. Have a great senior year.

Cldvols1 writes:

in response to CRFVols:

I'm with ya CRF! I think JC is great in a backup role but mentally he can't handle being the starter. But who do we turn to, Stephens is not much better and Laimason...who's he;) Like I said the future looks good but I want to win this year...I'm sick of waiting! GBO!!!

tennezz writes:

We weed some offensive linemen to commit, We are looking good every where else!

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to SEAL_9821:

We will be fine at qb. with Bray, Lamaison, and Stephens next yr. I live in Memphis and am hearing some talk from media that Brunetti may waiver (they are hoping he'll sign with Memphis). Don't be surprised if he commits to UT soon.

Volunatic writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

Well, the line is 28.5, so if you're willing to bet against the Vols, have at it.
I'd never bet on CFB, but that's because I like to keep my money when possible.

volfanforlife writes:

This is good to hear, after a train reck saturday! He kind of reminds me of a robert meachem type of wideout, lets just hope it does not take hime until his junior year to show off his skills and that tyler bray can throw like ainge! GO n VOLS please SOMEHOW BEAT THE GatorS

DennisVols writes:

I have said all along that UT will need 2 or 3 great recruiting classes to get this progarm back to where it needs to be. Landing a good QB was a key element along with the other skill positions. Now Kiffin needs to start landing some key linemen for the OL and DL.
Still believe we wind up better than last year but we are a ways down the road before they start predicting UT as the winner of any major contest.
Keeping it Real
Go Vols!!!

CRFVols writes:

in response to Cldvols1:

I would actually like to see Stephens and see how he's improved. Believe it or not, Crompton did improve. A year ago he wouldn't have played like that even against WKY, so I think he has improved some. So hopefully Stephens has as well.

My idea, jokingly (kind-of), is to go back to the single wing or an Air Force type offense and run it every play, at least that keeps the ball out of JC's hands, which ultimately means out of the defense's hands. We don't have foster to fumble it anymore, we have a great stable of running backs and speed guys to handle the task.

Here's my stat from last season on UTSports.com that leads me to believe it wouldn't be a bad idea, "The Vols actually outgained the Gators in total offense 258-243 but committed three turnovers."

What have we got to loose, besides every game this year? lol I just pray we don't end up at the end of the season with our biggest hope and bragging right being to beat KY again.

GahLee writes:

in response to KiFFiNOMiCS:

My prediction Brunetti ends up at U.T.....he'll end up our other QB commit.

Bray is the better prospect and fits better into the system, wouldn't mind having him though.

GahLee writes:

in response to DennisVols:

Keeping it Real
Go Vols!!!

Dennis you do indeed keep it real, just not real current sir...like your posts, you make sense, which is more than you can say for 75% of the people on here, but we are stacked at DL, I mean stacked, and there is a possibility that we land Ronald Powell, a top ten player overall, and yet another DE.

Right now we need to start landing OL. Rumor has it that James is looking hard at us, still have Stone out there among many others.

Go Vols!!!

blitzshoot writes:

in response to CRFVols:

QBs and O-line......let's get recruiting.

Amen and.....Amen

VOL03_NC writes:

LOV'N IT! UCLA and Fulmers era (error) is the past, lets lets work on the future...
GO VOLS!!

DennisVols writes:

Sometimes it is what you don't say that says more about who you are, than what you do say.
"Jonathan Crompton Vs. the World: Tennessee QB's Attitude Hurting Volunteers"

Eye opening to say the least.
Keeping it Real
Go Vols!!!

CRFVols writes:

in response to DennisVols:

"Jonathan Crompton Vs. the World: Tennessee QB's Attitude Hurting Volunteers"

Eye opening to say the least.
Keeping it Real
Go Vols!!!

Wow....thanks for posting that. Great article.

UTVol4Life80 writes:

in response to DennisVols:

"Jonathan Crompton Vs. the World: Tennessee QB's Attitude Hurting Volunteers"

Eye opening to say the least.
Keeping it Real
Go Vols!!!

Very interesting take on JC. It actually has some validity. I honestly don't think I've ever heard him take sole responsiblity for mistakes...it's always "we" messed up, "we" need to play better, etc. Never "I" which is the sign of a true leader taking a group of guys on his shoulders and taking responsibility.

AceVentura writes:

in response to GahLee:

Go Vols!!!

In the previous 2 years we've had 7OL commits the only problem is that these guys weren't very good. This year we have 3OL and i'm not sure how good they are. So hopefully some of those guys will come through and the ones the are no longer with us can stay there. If you're not with us you're against us. Great recruiting class and I would be satisfied with a 7-5 or even 6-6 year. We have great talent coming in, a coaching staff can only do so much with the current players. You can't take a 5-7 team and turn them into a 11-1 but you can make them winners. Even Saban had to have two years to turn it around and he seems to be doing well in his third year. Welcome aboard Cobbs.

AceVentura writes:

in response to UTVol4Life80:

I was just speaking to my buddy today and he pointed that out. And I started to think about it and Crompton never admits his mistakes. He had a quote where they asked him about why Gerald Jones didn't get more balls and he said "you'll have to ask coach about that one." that sounded like a cop out if you ask me. Also it sounded like Crompton was saying that the coaching wasn't calling good plays. How about this "Jon" how about you say "We turned into a running team because obviously I was having a hard time finding our receivers. And I missed Gerald on a wide open post route that might have been a touchdown had a been more accurate. That one you can blame on me."

pammyvol1000 writes: