Receiver Stills liked visit

Kenny Stills spoke highly of his official visit to Tennessee last weekend when interviewed by Scout.com.

"I loved it," the receiver from La Costa Canyon High School in Encinitas (Calif.) told the recruiting service. "It was everything I expected. I wanted to go out there and live it for myself rather than just hear it from everyone."

Stills said he was impressed by the community’s interest in the Vols.

"In the all the stores and airports that's all they talk about," the 6-foot-1, 175-pounder said. "They support their team no matter what, and that's something I'm definitely looking for if I'm going to be going away from home."

Stills also seemed impressed with with Neyland Stadium.

“102,000 people for a non-SEC game is crazy," he said. “…It's everything I'm looking for when it comes to a college town and atmosphere.”

Stills is considered one of the elite receiver prospects in the nation and is expected to take official visits to Florida, Oklahoma and Penn State.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

whatcanbrowndoforyou writes:

You might as well get in the FAST LANE as well my friend

CRFVols writes:

Keep'em comin'. We can use all the talent, but we still need some QBs and linemen. If we don't have that, they won't be catching a lot of balls.

On another note, looks like Robert Meachem is coming on with the Saints. Sure wish he would have stayed another year.

chad_t31 writes:

Read his quote fellow vol fans. "They (us) support their team no matter what..." I'm done trashing JC. Although I've never sunk to calling him names, just his play. I've said before on here that I'm a vol fan, always have been, always will be. Despite the recent struggles, I vow to not break anymore remote controls or throw cell phones at the wall. We will be fine, it will just take some time. Go Vols!! (think I'm gonna have this put on a plaque and hang in my living room)

Cldvols1 writes:

Go ahead and take your other unofficial visits, we'll be waitin on ya at UT! No campus in America compares to the University of Tennessee and its facilities. Not to mention its die hard fans...over 100k in Neyland...c'mon dude! Go Vols!!!

KiFFiNOMiCS writes:

If you think these recruits are not on here reading what the fans say.....THEN YOU'RE Nucking Futs!

Be positive....it is a rebuilding year and we should still reach a bowl game!

Look at our recruiting ranks....this staff is delivering on what they promised us from day one!

GahLee writes:

This kid looks pretty good on tape, has good size already, probably needs to put on a few more pounds but other than that he would be a good get for us, Ambles, Milton, Meline, Cobbs, already a great class of play-makers, come on in Stills, the water is warm.

GOBIGO72 writes:

Got to support them no matter what - always told my kids as long as they're giving 100%, I would have no problem with the outcome - take it for what it is worth and be thankful we get to come along for the ride or jump off the bus and be done with it.

KiFFiNOMiCS writes:

With all these weapons committed we have a very easy product to sell to a QB wanting to play early....even if Stills doesn't commit.

VolinCalif writes:

I hear him guys. I have said before that it is the Fans at the games that really excite these kids. So tell our fellow vols to keep going to games and stay a real Vol fan. No Booing and hold the bad comments on our Blogs. Just say Well, Well Well JC or something like that and all will know what you are referennce is about. PS let the lopers dry up. They are here to pee you off, they have already ran off a lot of good friends and would love to distroy GoVols. Don't comply with their BS.
Love the Vols

hgvol writes:

Come on Kenny. Would also help with Jessie Scroggins also. Go Big Orange

reidtownriverrat writes:

If we keep losing games come feb. these 4 and five stars will go somewhere else like FL or BAMA.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

These kids can see that Florida is on their last year at the top. A new ship is sailing and they want to get on board. Go Vols!

ozoney#235138 writes:

in response to Jamestown17:

The more momentum we pick up in recruiting the more g a y t o r fans we see trolling. Mark these words boy, UF is almost out of zook recruits, and suburban is losing recruits to other schools left and right..you're team's time is almost over and I don't feel a bit sorry for you or the 10th worst fans in the country (according to an ESPN reporter). You're coach is classless and building a bunch of bad karma, he relies on beating lesser opponents to the max, i.e kicking a field goal in the last seconds against a miami team when up by 23. That's not letting your 2's and 3's play hard, that's just BS and belongs nowhere in the game. payback time is coming for a lot of people against UF..maybe not this year..but soon. Go Vols

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

in response to ozoney#235138:

We have more trolls per thread than all other SEC schools COMBINED.

VolunteerLifer writes:

How many receivers is too many? You can only have three of them on the field at a time. We're only graduating one receiver (assuming Rogers gets another year) or, at most, two. We got a slew of them as freshmen this year. Are we gonna carry fifteen receivers? That's what it's looking like.

We need linemen to play on the offensive line. I wonder if the coaches plan to convert some of the DL's they're recruiting to OL? Right now, we have only three OL commits and very few other OL's who aren't seniors. There are five OL positions. Are we gonna go JUCO for OL's? Remember, the entire first string OL graduates this year, and next year will be a rebuilding job. I'm curious to know how the coaches are planning to rebuild the line.

txvolsfan writes:

in response to Jamestown17:

Can you please just go AWAY!!!
You freakin LOSER!!!
GO VOLS
Keep Reelin in and rebuilding the Talent Phil let
dwindle to nothing
TXVOLSFAN

txvolsfan writes:

Come to Big Orange Country, Future home of Tyler Bray and his Merry Band of Playmakers!!!
Go Vols
TXVOLSFAN

ozoney#235138 writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

You can have up to five wideouts in the field at once, and last time I checked we didn't have 15 WR's committed...signing a good class of WR's is a huge step in rebuilding our program. Offensive linemen will be jumping on board now that we've secured a good QB and and a slew of skill position talent. Since losing swain, hannon, smith and meachem we've been very weak at WR, with the exception of sporadic good play by jones. This years class is shaping up better than anyone could have imagined in my opinion. Worry not friend, the OL commits will come shortly.

mbible1utk#324980 writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

I know Ted Meline is planning on switching to safety when he gets here. There might be another one that switches somewhere in the mix.

We do need some O-Line people. James Stone needs to go ahead and jump on board. If we get Jawuan James too, we'll be well off. At that point, Leifheit is icing on the cake. For the time being though, our class is heavy on the WR's and DL's

BIGTXVOLFAN writes:

Anybody know what the other recruits that were around thought. particularly Riggs and the OL prospects. These are huge needs we have going into next season! I am just as excited to see the high flyers we have and the Bray to get them the rock but our staple is our Defense and we don't have many commits in the secondary. Riggs should be an easy get what is taking so long? It concerns me too we can't land the OL we need is there a chance the recruits just don't feel comfortable with or Line coach? He was the question mark of the staff I had too.

VOLincarolina writes:

BrisVol, honestly you need to jump off a cliff and just start pulling for whoever is winning at the time...Prolly jus some nerd trying to sound cool anyways!! Vols will be back before anyone thought with the recruiting thats going on!! GO VOLS

vestc#256986 writes:

I'd take all the DLs we can get and make some OL. I think the best OL are converted DL or DT. Remember Cosey Coleman, Fred Weary, Wilkerson, etc. I like bigtime wrestlers too! We need OL with mean streaks and speed and they usually play on D in High schoolKiffin is rcruiting a future SEC champion and NC.

TommyJack writes:

in response to Lostvolinhighweeds:

We have more trolls per thread than all other SEC schools COMBINED.

Truly a cogent point.

RebelVol writes:

in response to chad_t31:

Read my mind. Everyone who continues to trash our team and staff after 1 loss needs to calm down. This is a rebuilding year. Plain and simple, we are young. Some of these kids on the field are 18 yrs old. We will go to a bowl game. The blue chips will come. To be honest I am pumped about the future of the Vols. These freshmen are something else. The best part-They will only get better. I hate saying wait until next year, but with growth and maturity this team has the ability to be scary good. We will not be back this season, but the seeds of greatness have been planted and will grow quickly. Giving up on a staff after 1 bad game- Thats what bama fans do. Now, lets give the gators he** on saturday and see what happens. Go Vols!

tdforvols writes:

Gator,Bamma, LSU, GA, SC, ETC fans click here:

TDTN writes:

in response to chad_t31:

Good decision. I knew we had recruits in the stadium and I was holding my breath that the boos would not surface. I was proud to be a Vol fan when I heard the chant: "Lets go Crompton" as he took the field late in the game. Yes I know he played awful and looked like he did last year but I really did not expect that much improvement. Change is in the air and this is the first year under the new coaching staff. I have no doubt Crompton is doing his best and I appreciate his effort. Yes I will be glad to see a more productive QB on the field who can take us all the way but I know that is not going to happen this year. We need to be patient and hang in there with this group. There will be a lot more recruits in the stands over the next 6 home games and the fans better understand that. We knew this was a rebuilding year and we just dont have a QB that can handle this situation.
I hope we sign another top QB this year too. With all the talent we are lining up I cant imagine us not getting another top guy to commit. Losing really sucks but better days are coming and coming fast. Go Vols!

TDTN writes:

I will add this to my previous comment. Recruits are not coming to visit UT to see how well Crompton plays, they really dont care. He will be gone next year. They are here to check out the coaching staff, the atmosphere, the attitude, potential etc and the fan base goes a long way in influencing the impression a recruit goes home with. We had a Top 10 class last year and will finish in the top 5 this year. This will give us an opportunity to knock the gators off their pedestal and take our place back at the top of the SEC. It will take a year or two more but we are well on our way. Stay positive and support the team on the field.

chargervol writes:

The Vols will be more talented next year than this year. They will close the talent gap tremendously by next season. And guys, keep your eyes on alabama's verbal Sims, with one "m". He has not signed with bama, and is not as solid as they think, just sayin'. GO VOLS!!!

VOLincarolina writes:

Anyone wanna second me on saying Brisvol needs to shut his mouth??? and i believe with the vols getting all these top notch recruits it will make others turn there head and eventually see that light...that is the VOLS!!!

volcycle writes:

Go Jon Crompton!! Let's turn it around this week! You know, you can do it!

Go Vols!!!!

paul5170 writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

These coaches seem to be after recruits for speed,& differt mind set like faster & meaner look at all the DL commitments & move them to OF line.Some of the best old school coachs would sign 10 Qb some. would even play on the line.Bear Byrant,Doug Dicky won lot of games like this.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to Jamestown17:

Even better, maybe you will quit coming on this site

CRFVols writes:

in response to tdforvols:

Gator,Bamma, LSU, GA, SC, ETC fans click here:

Let's not brag too much and jinx it. Just because these guys have committed doesn't mean they are here for sure....they can always jump ship....and after the rough season we're bound to have...I wouldn't be surprised if some do.

Hope for the best....GO VOLS!

69vol08 writes:

I really do not know if the recruits read the posts on this site or other college football blogs. I am sure fans of all college football teams share their views freely on their blogs as well. Therefore, I personally don't think it is a big deal for people to share their opinions here.

However, during the games at Neyland…the recruits ARE watching and listening to the fan support so that is NOT the place to be booing and loudly voicing negative opinions. So, I say get it out of your system on here, at work, with the neighbors, etc. and stay positive at the walk and at the game.

GO VOLS!

givehim6 writes:

Best medicine for a broken Vol heart? Watching the cupboard re-load.

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

in response to 69vol08:

GO VOLS!

Rational advice indeed

chrisw2967 writes:

in response to tdforvols:

Gator,Bamma, LSU, GA, SC, ETC fans click here:

these other schools didnt want or need any of these recruits,just wait the trolls will confirm this.

tdvol1989 writes:

Yes, the negativity is out of control. Coach Kiffin should be judged on how he finishes, not how we start the season. The UCLA loss bites, but it is hardly a Wyoming loss.

Let's see how they play now after a gut punch. The only salve for the wound of a loss is to go play well. Our odds this weekend are insurmountable. But if we can find some hope and any kind of silver lining, we have 3 straight winable games. And, they really are winable if all of us keep up the energy and enthusiasm. This is the mindset the coaches have to take and it is the one I am taking.

I was ready for Fulmer to go, so I feel as responsible as Mike Hamilton. I am in it with him. With the recruiting news continuing to go our way, we just have to put 1 loss behind us and get some wins.

This is a mulligan year. There was no way coming in we would win any kind of championship. We have a new coach and relatively low expectations. When is the last time you read UT fans hoping for 8 wins? I have been a fan since 1985 and I don't rememeber that ever happening...even after the 5-6 1988 season.

Cheer us on on the field. Cheer us on on the recruiting trail. And, Cheer on the naysayers. I want them to be ashamed. Mark my username and try me in 2 seasons. I dare you to tell me I was wrong. 7 or 8 wins this year + hopefully a bowl win. The same for next year. But then...

paul5170 writes:

in response to vestc#256986:

Kiffen going after Dl-men to convert to OL,he seems to B after only DE,DL.This is the way Bear Bryant,Doug Dicky recruited,they would often sign 10 QB's move them to different positions played in HS.Some even played as linemen.Kiffin & co. have hinted they want sm-er faster linemen.

Fossilfiction writes:

Went to Applebees tonight and ended up sitting behind a moron...
"Lane will be gone next year! If he plays Crompton he won't make it to the end of the season! He even admitted that he should have went to the outside not up the middle."
It took everything I had not to hit him in the face with a burger!
Its getting old people. He lost a game. After the game he said maybe he should have went outside. So what. He is pulling in top players and setting us up for the future. I like his guts, his swagger, and his offense. We will get some of these players that can play his offense and it will start firing on all cylinders! Time people time!
He will be here next year! When Florida losses all their starters and has nobody cause Urbie likes to run up the score then we will see how the ball bounces. Our time is coming and so is Meyer's! Write that down!

Fossilfiction writes:

in response to chuck0303#1342365:

I know it wasn't at me. It is amazing to me how many people came out of the wood-works Saturday night and Sunday to trash Kiffin. People who had never posted or had not posted in months showed up to tear apart CLK!
The dumbest ones claimed that this team "gave up"! I don't see where they get that! They failed to execute but I did not see one player on that team give up. Evidence? We get a safety with less than two minutes to go. If they don't give up I won't give up on them! Florida can be beat!

belayvol writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

There is a reason you are no longer a coach. You obviously could not coach with all that snot dripping.

belayvol writes:

in response to Jamestown17:

Are you Tim Tebow's assistant at his second job? if so, you fit right in for what you are used for. Some of us know what a "Bris" is used for.

belayvol writes:

As a very famous leader of a small band of 300 said when facing an army numbering in the hundreds of thousands, "Volunteers, prepare for glory!"

OrangePride writes:

A lot of posts here that remind us all to recognize our own role in helping this team to win AND make this town and stadium the best football venue in the country......which it is! That said, booing Crompton (or any part of this team) out of frustration helps no one but the Florida's and Alabama's in THEIR recruiting and field pressence. SO, all us real VOL fans need to stand up, be loud, and recognize our role as the TWELFTH MAN! GOOOO BIG ORANGE!!

in response to chad_t31:

Words to live by, right there! Wish more of us Vol fans felt the same way. I can't understand the attitude of "fans" who boo players who don't live up to expectations. We will NEVER hear recruits say they want to come here because the fans DON'T support the team! It DOES impress them that most of us support the team even when things aren't going well, which should be obvious after even a second of reflection.

I know fans care, and even get emotional in the heat of the moment, but come ON, people! Whatever momentary emotional satisfaction you get out of booing a player--and recruits don't necessarily know WHO you are booing--it CAN'T be worth possibly driving away players who probably wouldn't want to play for a bunch of front-runners who will turn on them if things aren't going well.

in response to VolunteerLifer:

Next to QBs, high-school WRs are often the most versatile athletes on their teams. Some of these guys will be DBs, like Vinson, who was recruited as a WR. Some will be return guys. As we saw this year with Rogers, Jones, and Moore, WRs often get hurt, so you always need quality replacements. All that said, I agree that we DESPERATELY need all the quality linemen we can get, on both sides of the ball.

in response to CRFVols:

Hope for the best....GO VOLS!

I see what you're saying, but remember that three of these guys committed even AFTER that disappointing loss. As long as recruits can see that the coaching staff has a plan, the team is competing on the field, and the fans are supporting them EVEN in adversity, the final record won't sway them. Of course, we may lose some commitments but we could gain some as well. I'm just glad so many good players felt strongly enough to commit to this point. Much of it will be up to us fans to keep showing support for the program. Quality players like quality fans. We expect the PLAYERS to play hard even when things don't go their way. Oddly enough, players expect FANS to stay supportive even when things don't go well on the field. If you feel you can't support the team anymore, stay home--just don't BOO!!!

I must say, except for the usual suspects--I mean you, DaMan--the rationality quotient of the board has gone up considerably since Sunday and Monday. I don't if it's just different people posting or that some of us got some frustration out of our systems. Either way, we still have SIX more home games and reason to believe we have a chance in all of them. If we don't all lose our heads, especially the team of course, we might even have a shot in a couple of the away games.

sandiegovolunteer writes:

This is a local kid for me here in Socal. Just noticed his Friday night's game (I assume right before he boarded the plane) he had three long touchdowns- one a 99 yard ko return. I will check him out when they play Poway later on this season!