Vols' Tabb indefinitely suspended

Tennessee men’s basketball coach Bruce Pearl has suspended senior guard Josh Tabb indefinitely.

“Josh has been in the program long enough that he knows he needs to meet all of our expectations,’’ Pearl said following Friday’s practice.

Pearl did not elaborate on the reason for Tabb’s suspension.

Tabb played point guard for UT last season, backing up starter Bobby Maze.

Tabb’s role this season was expected to be more diversified with the Vols adding junior college transfer Melvin Goins at point guard.

Tabb started 11 games for the Vols last season, averaging 3.4 points per game in 17.4 minutes per game.

Known best as a defensive stopper, Tabb has recently shown improvement in his offense game.

Last season, he had the best 3-point shooting clip of all of the players in the rotation, hitting .424, albeit, he only attempted 33.

In fact, it was Tabb’s 3-pointer from the corner at the Sommet Center in Nashville that enabled the Vols to stem a run from Big East power Marquette in an 80-68 victory in December.

Pearl said there is no timetable for Tabb’s return.

Tabb will not take part in any official or voluntary team activities during the suspension.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

cc623 writes:

Go figure...we get the suspensions and arrests under control in football and now Tabb does something stupid enough to be suspended for!

VolunteerLifer writes:

Great. Here we go again. Tabb, come on, man.

volfan2002 writes:

He has been close to getting kicked off the team and I guess this gets him a little closer.

LifetimeVolFan98 writes:

in response to marc_ash#231781:

I think you actually spelled your name right....imagine that????

Major_Magilicutty writes:

Marc is probably the most reliable source of information these boards. If he says I D I O T, I gotta agree :)

The back-court might have been getting a little crowded anyway. Whatever Tabb did or didn't do, he must have realized that there was no reason to cut him any MORE slack, if that was even an issue. He might have been the 3d PG and about the 4th SG.

sandiegovolunteer writes:

Well the inside scoop was that he was caught scalping Tim Teebow panties for over the suggested retail price without having a vender's license.

txvolsfan writes:

in response to Major_Magilicutty:

Agreed Major, except not probably
He is the most reliable info on this board
TXVOLSFAN

UTfaninYankeeland writes:

Just one more reason why we should have signed Tajh Boyd :-)

UTfaninYankeeland writes:

Sorry I couldn't help the comment above. Seriously, for some reason I never liked Tabb's game and he never seemed to be all that great of a defensive stopper to me.

CoverOrange writes:

Just guessing, but that sounds like academics.

AceVentura writes:

in response to marc_ash#231781:

Give us some info, I figured if anyone knew what happened it would be you.

jimr07 writes:

in response to UTfaninYankeeland:

Just one more reason why we should have signed Tajh Boyd :-)

did you even read the article? what does boyd have to do with this. oh, Boyd is out for the season.

newtonrail writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Just guessing, but that sounds like academics.

Sounds like Mary Jane to me, and I have no inside info.

IBleedOrange444 writes:

in response to sandiegovolunteer:

Haaaaa!!!

Orangeblood13 writes:

eh

kids being kids

don't fall off the wagon folks, let the pearl handle it

reg_mza#219136 writes:

Yeah sounds like something drug related. In the Pearl era, all indefinite suspensions have been tied to drugs in some form or fashion, ala Duke Crews and Major Wingate and Ramar.

It could be an illegal substance like a performance enhancer but I highly doubt that as I don't think they can do drug screenings right now, soon, but not now before team practices begin. I could be wrong. Or he could have been caught boozing it up and it's alcohol related. It could also be something like a melee with another teammate, boys will be boys.

But I agree with the previous post, academics or something that would go across the police wire is usually addressed specifically before the media gets ahold of it.

in response to jimr07:

In case you are new to internet chat boards, that little "smiley-face" icon after the word "Boyd" usually means the writer is making a joke. That's because you can't see him smiling in person or pick up on an ironic tone of voice(;-P)! That last icon on this post is a favorite variation of mine, meaning roughly "tongue-in-cheek". Glad I could help(;-D)! THAT last one is another variation of the "smiley-face", FYI.

Bristol writes:

Taz, come on, you were my favorite player.....

UTfaninYankeeland writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Thanks for the help. It was my attempt at a football joke in a basketball article. I'm so tired of hearing about how we should have signed Tajh Boyd as a quarterback. I love football but I can't wait for B-ball season.

in response to UTfaninYankeeland:

Sometimes it's difficult to understand just how literal-minded some people are on this board. Don't sweat it; most of my attempted jokes bomb on this board too(;-D)! Any attempt that doesn't descend to potty-mouthing or "Yo' mama" just seems to sail right over most people's heads.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

wazzup? I thought I'd take a peak on here and see what's going on. I hate to hear about Tabb...
I've seen a lot of wasted potential (sportswise) on our teams over the years.
Tabb I hope you get with it and take advantage at least of the educational benefits.