Vols to shuffle offensive linemen

Richard is out with knee injury

Tennessee's starting lineup against Ohio University on Saturday will include at least one change. Maybe more.

Left guard Vlad Richard was on crutches Monday and won't play against the Bobcats due to a knee injury he sustained in the 23-13 loss at Florida last Saturday.

Tackle Jarrod Shaw worked at left guard, with redshirt freshman Aaron Douglas taking over at right tackle.

"We're going to move some people around, without getting too specific about it,'' coach Lane Kiffin said. "We need to play better. We're not pleased with where our performance is.''

Shaw, who has started all three games at right tackle, will compete with Cory Sullins at left guard, said offensive line coach James Cregg.

Cregg said Douglas, a converted tight end, played "extremely well" in limited action at Florida.

"There's always things to get better at, though,'' Cregg said. "There's always little knick-knack things to clean up with him and we expect him to do a good job.''

While praising the line's effort at Florida, Kiffin was critical of some technique mistakes that he said hurt production in the red zone.

In the first half, UT had first down at the Florida 11 and later first-and-goal at the 4. Both times the Vols had to settle for field goals.

"Our defense played well enough to beat the number-one team in the country,'' Kiffin said, "and we didn't play well enough on offense to do it.

"So we're going to open up some competition and move some guys around and figure out how to get this thing better.''

Receivers, Too: The O-line isn't the only position with open competition this week. Lack of production at receiver is another issue.

Freshmen Marsalis Teague and Nu'Keese Richardson have been seldom seen since the opening game. Veterans Quintin Hancock, Gerald Jones and Denarius Moore have gotten most of the snaps, due to their experience in run blocking.

"We need to be more productive out there,'' Kiffin said. "Which we will (be) when we get more chances. We didn't get very many opportunities for the receivers.

"This week will be big for a lot of players, on the offensive line, the receiver group, the special teams, because we need to get better.''

Thompson Watches: Linebacker LaMarcus Thompson sat out Monday awaiting results of tests on his back. He was hit in the back at Florida. Freshman Greg King worked in his place.

"I'll be ready,'' Thompson said. "It's a little bruise. Nothing much.''

Making a Move?: Brent Vinson worked at corner in place of Art Evans. Ben Martin got time at defensive end with the starters.

"Brent did well in his snaps (at Florida),'' Kiffin said. "Brent's a good player for us. There's just a lot of competition back there.''

Being Physical: Kiffin praised the team for playing physical at Florida, which was a point of emphasis.

"When I got here,'' he said, "that's something they told me about, you better get your team ready to go play them.

"Because we've been scared of them in the past. I think it was obvious Saturday we weren't.''

Berry Recognized: Safety Eric Berry was named The Lott Trophy player of the week, after recording 11 tackles and his first interception of the season at Florida.

The Lott Trophy is annually awarded to college football's top defensive player.

Tickets: Tickets are available for the Ohio game at UTTix.com, the arena ticket office or 800-332-VOLS.

It will be UT's only pay-per-view telecast of the season.

Numbers: UT opens as a 21-point favorite over Ohio. ... UT slipped two slots to fifth in the nation in total defense (197.3 yards) after Florida. ... Montario Hardesty is second in the SEC and 10th in the nation in rushing at 115 yards per game.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

panties4tebow writes:

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOMEBOY writes:

So we have problems on offense and we are looking for changes on the line and at receiver. Am I the only one that thinks we might want to consider a change at quarterback?

CRFVols writes:

Here we come!!!

CRFVols writes:

in response to HOMEBOY:

lol...true....but sometimes there's just no need to state the obvious......when it's soo glaring

lol

LargeOrange writes:

Shake things up on offense, keep fresh legs in the game, play the young guns and start a run of Ws. Good job Coaches!

99PairsOfJortsOnTheWall writes:

I'll take slipping 2 spots to 5th after playing against what doooshbaggs think is the best offense in the history of the never-land raunch. Any idea of how far the "chosen ones" slipped on offense? I know TEBOW DID NOT GET A TD PASS!! THANK YOU JACKSON! BOY AM I GLAD YOU'RE A VOL!

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

The O line is definetly banged up but somehow played well against FLA; and we obviously have no depth; Kudos to them for sticking it out!!! Any news on the return of Josh Mc Neil?? He is sorely missed.. As for Teague put him on the field against Ohio; I believe he had 10 receptions against WKU and didn't drop a ball. Moore has done little or nothing..Also would like to see Rodgers play more; He actually knows how to run good routes and has good hands too!!

tums writes:

in response to HOMEBOY:

Ha, That's what I was thinking. Stephens has to be the worst QB in college football to not overtake Crompton. He can't be that bad....

KINGKONG writes:

Im glad CLK is bringing some heat on the veteran receivers this week.Crompton is the qb so he deserve most of the blame.I hate to say this but he is taking too much of the blame.WRs got to get open and start making plays.

ctownvol writes:

Brighter days are coming faster than you think boys......

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to Plasticman:

True..Vlad has played well; We must have him in the line up for Auburn!!!

Weatherman writes:

in response to HOMEBOY:

I agree...a change needs to be made. Get a QB that can either run, or pass, or both...to keep the defense off balance and from pinning their ears back and putting 8, 9, even 10 in the box to stop the run...which is our only viable option at offense at present. Goodness, anyone can do the job JC is doing right now. Surely, Lamaison (who threw for 3500 yards and 36 td's last season) and/or NS can hand a ball off and maybe complete a forward pass...or put Nuke or another speedy signal caller in the backfield and run a simple veer or wishbone.

RockinTop writes:

How bout a move of Crompton from the field to the bench???? I just knew I was going to read this.

This is getting ridiculus now....can you imagine what some of the players really think deep down inside? They have to be thinking it.

Kiffin is just being stubborn now. No question in my mind.

I will say this: If Crompton is on the bench starting this week, I will buy the PPV event. If not, I aint paying to watch 2-3 more interceptions.

Go Big Orange!

jcvol writes:

'the sun is peepin over the horizon.' It won't be long now. I loved the way we played physically on Saturday. Stick it to em Vols.

SmokeyHound writes:

shuffle our quarterbacks...

Big_Orange_Duke writes:

in response to ctownvol:

Brighter days are coming faster than you think boys......

I guess you heard the same rumor I did?

QB_10 (Inactive) writes:

I know someone that should get benched:
Here are a few hints:

7 interceptions

Less than 100 yards total offense in the 2nd half last 2 games

Cannot throw down field becase 2 bad things happen- throw out of bounds or another INT

Tripped over my feet twice this year

3 fumbles

Best offensive play is calling for flags

Last 2 coaching staffs had to " Simplify the offense"

I am supposed to be a great practice player..." we're talking practice"

Fans and Teammates have no faith in you anymore as a QB

The answer is: Johnny Crompton

kiffownsfla writes:

Ok guys its time to change it up I hope nick has a gr8 week at practice we should see him sat nite its time to break loose guys we gotta PASS SOME AND WE WILL! LETS GO VOLZZZ!

Madkels writes:

in response to Weatherman:

If Kiffin is not going to let him throw, then make him run! JC ran over a LSU player a few years back. He's big. Make the backs block for him and roll him out. How about some trickery? Reverse? Something to throw off the defense.

PlaidinOrangeandWhite writes:

in response to Big_Orange_Duke:

I guess you heard the same rumor I did?

Alright guys come out with it; is there some news that you want to share with us?

Need_2_Know writes:

in response to Jovi_zz:

I think his back injury came when he was on kick coverage, when a Florida player smashed into him from behind just as he was pushing up off of the turf...right after the whistle, it seemed. Give him credit, as much pain as he was in, he came back into the game later...T.O.U.G.H. That's what a football player does.

Cldvols1 writes:

in response to SmokeyHound:

shuffle our quarterbacks...

I concur!

Cldvols1 writes:

in response to ctownvol:

Brighter days are coming faster than you think boys......

Care to elaborate...

volsenior22 writes:

stephens can be that bad! it turns it over more in practice, I would hate to see what he does in a game! Leave it alone guys. Crompton is the guy until he isnt the guy. Apparently there is something to why Crompton is still there. Kiffin has said it over and over again. Crompton gives us the best chance to win. Take a long hard look at Stephens, maybe he just isnt much. Quit calling for him!

OrangePride writes:

Did I hear, "opening up to competition" on the offensive side of the ball? Well, I certainly hope that includes QB and recievers as well as the O-line! I'm not 100% convinced that Stephens is the total answer (at least that wasn't the case last year when it was tried), but without seeing him in there on gameday, we won't ever know. My guess is that JC starts the game, but I really want to have NS get three or four series with the first offense so we can all get a good looksee on what he can do under fire. GO VOLS!!!!

bigdaddypop writes:

I thought Teague did a good job run blocking and running the correct routes when he played...just sayin

xvolx writes:

you got my vote on changing receivers. Jones whiffed on a block on a screen pass that could have went for a score. Seems to me like they run too many hook patterns. Douglas will do a good job, but Sullins at left guard misses too many down field blocks.

jack_2222#231746 writes:

in response to HOMEBOY:

Lane says he has a 3 year plan. He can't go into year 3 with an inexperienced QB. If Stephens becomes the starter, he'll never be unseated by a frosh in the spring.

So JC is the QB this year.

nashvol34 writes:

So I tried to go to the gainseville paper and have some playful banter with some florida fans. Seems you have to be "approved" to have a poster account. Unreal, guess they want to make sure no one says anything derogatory about their little Gators. Maybe VolsXtra should do the same, oh wait we aren't sissified like the oscar meyer weinerettes.

daniellovesutfootball writes:

in response to Weatherman:

Speaking of Lamaison, what's the latest on him? I heard so much about him coming out of JUCO but haven't heard nothing since he came to play for us. Anyone got any idea, if not I can ask a buddy of mine, he's a manager for the Vols.

LibertyVolance writes:

in response to jcvol:

I think we are all pleased at what we are seeing. It's a work in progress, but progress is coming. Even the offense is fun to watch because we don't know what to expect and not hackneyed and predictable. I'm liking what I see.

LibertyVolance writes:

in response to volsenior22:

I'm like this on it. If Lane thinks Crompton needs this opportunity and has earned it, then he must feel he must start him. But there are some rumors that a Stephens game prep for Ohio is already in the workings. Stephens won't start probably, but is likely to play some this weekend. Whomever the coaches believe in playing is certainly something they have the best knowledge of.

wags32 writes:

in response to OrangePride:

I will not QUIT calling for Stephens to be QB! He will have to show me he is worse than Crompton if he is God help him. How did these guys ever get scholarships to UT?

wags32 writes:

You know i just thought of this Tennessee reminds me when watching them of Football before the forward pass was invented! And it is driving me nuts!!!!!! I cannot take it anymore! Stephens Stephens Stephens i chant in my home.

CadmiumOchre (Inactive) writes:

--------------------Quote---------------

supersmo18 writes:

Check this article out.... Has nothing to do with the topic in here, but I just stumbled on it. :) GO VOLS!!

--------------Unquote----------------

Oh, it wasn't the flu epidemic? The Vols actually played well enough to give the Gators a run for their money?
The 2-3 deep gator team wasn't really sick but just played bad and due in part at least to who they were playing? So the flu thing was all a misunderstanding? Well, those things do happen, I suppose, sorta, kinda and . . . .

forkball writes:

in response to Jovi_zz:

Saw it too, definite cheap shot.

tonyvick#213307 writes:

in response to bigdaddypop:

I've been saying all along Teague is the best QB we have on the team right now. I really believe CLK wants to win and he knows our chances are less with NS. Do you know how bad he must be? I believe the call of the players to play NS would be so strong if they thought he could give them a chance to win. Since CLK haven't lost his players I believe he must be playing the best practice players. However CLK don't blame this debacle on everyone else but Crompton.

tennman65 writes:

in response to Jovi_zz:

I agree that was one cheap azz shot!

NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop writes:

"Because we've been scared of them in the past.'' That is exactly right, FOOLmore set the tone for the team and he was terrified of UF (actually he was terrified of anyone perceived as being better than him). Now he's terrified of CLK which explains all the cheap shots he's been taking lately. Get lost FOOLmore...we're tired of you telling the world how great you are...Hint: you are NOT!

volsfannsc writes:

in response to wags32:

Well I certainly hope CLK is reading this and just to show you and other fans- will put Stephens in 'just to prove to you' that Stephens is not an option. I'm no Crompton fan myself, but I have to believe CLK is making millions due to the fact he knows a little about coaching football. I can armchair all day but there's a fairly good reason why I'm not making two mill a year. If CLK says Crompton is our best chance to win, why not believe him. I am frustrated every time I see JC take the field and I feel as though I'm walking on egg shells every time he drops back in the pocket BUT I'm not at practice, I don't have the one on one with these guys, and even if CLK was out of his mind stupid- I really don't believe the other coaches would go along with this. They want to win as well. So five coaches with NFL experience aren't as gifted as you in deciding who is the better QB? There comes a time when you have to resolve yourself to this is it, its what we have. Relax a bit knowing CLK will fix this. It's a next year fix.

chsvol writes:

Where is Brandon Warren?

tyler1 writes:

peyton manning would have bad numbers with the receiving play we have,i wish crompton would read all this bad comments and get motivated to show how wrong you guys are.

Volsrbest writes:

I think Lamaison is the guy next year. Stephens is a permanent backup. Year 3 will be between Lamaison and a true or redshirt freshman. We'll have the best backfield in the country and a good corp of receivers to throw to. Need to recruit offensive linemen!!

tnbanker_govols writes:

Such potential at wide receiver.....How frustrating is it that we don't have a quarterback to get it to those guys to develop their talents. The only way Nu'keese and Teague will get the ball out there is if Kiffin puts them in at quarterback.

tmartin writes:

in response to Volsrbest:

no, the guy next year is playing in highschool somewhere right now. . . redshirt?????? dont think kiffin even knows what that is. either youre good enough to battle to start or youre not good enough to be recruited. who are you? fulmer?

TotalPackage1 writes:

Someone name me a worse Starting UT QB than Crompton....any QB named must have played with a hard helmet and a facemask...no stuffed leather, fighter pilot lookin, toboggan era players please...

bjlong38326#239292 writes:

in response to jack_2222#231746:

So JC is the QB this year.

jack get real, coach kiffin has no reason not to play the best player at all position.qb is no exception, he wants to win just as bad as anyone!!!

jbc writes:

in response to jack_2222#231746:

So JC is the QB this year.

That is hard to believe. If Kiffin, or any coach anywhere, was doing that he should be fired.

Tellicovol writes:

in response to Madkels:

You must have missed the reverse against Fl that lost 5 yards.

tyler1 writes:

whats funny John crompton will be a better QB in the NFL than Tim Tebow he will keep developing this year and some one will give him a chance. Tebow has peaked and will not get any better.