Vols see better times ahead in pass game

Receiver Gerald Jones thinks it’s time for Tennessee’s passing offense to break out.

“I think this game is going to be a confidence game — try to raise our confidence level when it comes to passing the ball,” the junior said of Saturday’s game against Ohio.

That would be a welcome sight for fans, players and coaches. Since airing it out against Western Kentucky, the Vols have kept it on the ground against more stout defenses, subsequently losing to UCLA and Florida.

“This week I think we’re going to really focus on passing the ball and try to get confidence with the quarterback and the receivers and just trusting each other to be in the right spot,” Jones said. “If we can do that, especially for these next two weeks, it will be very dangerous for the rest of the season.”

The Vols face Auburn and Georgia after hosting Ohio. Quarterback Jonathan Crompton said UT can’t blindly pledge to throw the ball more.

“I’d like to be throwing it around, but at the same time if I’m throwing it 50 times a game, that means they’re just dropping back in coverage and we’re not setting up the run game to establish play action,” the senior said. “As a quarterback ... one of your best friends is a good run game.”

The Vols aren’t just hoping for more passes; they’re hoping for more downfield passes. Jones said he has noticed defensive backs jumping short routes.

“You see once we come out of our breaks, they’re breaking on it automatically,” Jones said.

The key retort is a double-move route.

“If we can start getting teams to bite on those comebacks and then take it up, they’ll start respecting the deep ball,” Jones said.

Said Crompton: “When we get opportunities, we’ll take them. So far we haven’t had a great opportunity to do it. But when we get them we’ll take the shots and hopefully execute them.

“(But) if they’re going to give us the short stuff, then we’ll just keep taking it and move the ball.”

Jones said some players allow their technique on deep passes to slip when a crowd is on hand.

“We do it all the time in practice against our defense and (our) defense is pretty dang good,” Jones said. “It’s just a matter of staying focused.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

BigT_Chief writes:

You mean like staying inbounds to score a TD?

sothernohiovol writes:

ok jc! its kind of a break for you but just remember they gave ohio state a run for their money last year! also this could be a confadence builder for you and the rest of the team! lets beat one of my states schools black and blue!! go vols

TSNSD4UT writes:

Only one way to go in the pass game!

Smoke writes:

Oh boy.... Ill be holding my breath every time he lets go of the ball saturday

jst4tdyvols writes:

If they can do it in practice on our D then they should be able to pass in a game.What happens?GO VOLS

pammyvol1000 writes:

Walk the walk guys.. Let's see some ball throwing!!

dvhill100 writes:

Interesting take on the UT-UF game and what it showed for Tim Tebow's NFL prospects.

NoSirRee writes:

They always keep saying how they do "this" or "that" well in practice. I believe them. However, Crompton (and possibly the receivers) just can't handle the pressure of a game atmosphere so far. I'm not expecting us to be great by the end of the year, but I honestly believe we will see some improvements in the passing game. Last year, there was a panicked tone in all their voices, this year it sounds like frustration and THAT I like!

CoachFulmer writes:

Crompton is like a clone of Coach Fulmer. Hes always beating around the bush and never answers a question with a straight answer. Man up for pete sakes. Stop making bone head mistakes and step up.

volbald writes:

Gerald Jones doesn't have much room to talk about how good our non-existent passing game may become. It's not Crompton's "fault" that he can't read defenses and throw the ball down the field without getting it intecepted by opposing players or fans in the stadium seats. But realistically, we don't have a passing game this year (like we didn't have last year) - and won't against SEC teams. Crompton may throw 5 touchdown passes against Ohio but I don't anticipate that type of success against Auburn, UGA, S.C., Ole Miss, or Ala. And they'll put 8-9 men in the box to stop our talented running backs. The coaches have done a great job with this team. With an average SEC level QB we'd be 3-0 and ranked No. 2 in the country. But we don't have a QB who can really make the downfield throws without turning the ball over. That's a realistic assessment I don't see changing anytime soon. You can't coach game-time hand-eye football co-ordination and our QB has demonstrated he has precious little of it. We can't blame Crompton - he's trying hard. But "trying" won't beat the SEC teams we have to play this year.

scvols writes:

What is the NCAA record for most INT'S in a game? If we throw 50 times, we are going in the record books BABY!!

cobbwebb writes:

in response to dvhill100:

coach kiffin should print this article, laminate it, and show it to every single qb recruit pee wee meyer even thinks about offering a scholarship to! by the way, sorry for all the lame posts yesterday! they would have been much better, but i have the flu!

Go4Two writes:

in response to dvhill100:

No news here anyone that understands football knows Tebow can't play QB in the NFL.

Hounddog writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

The Hounddog gave three howls to WD for this one.

Let's play football. Hounddog

navarrebeachvol writes:

in response to reyem060809:

I'm not hearing anything about Ky down here in Florida either, troll-they are still crying about the whine flu and such. Only Ky they are talking about is what they used on Urban's rear quarters to remove Monte's size 11 boot. Fear the Kats-you have been exposed.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

I believe, I believe. No Voo Doo on me please. JC has the tools, Lane has said that over and over. I just posted on the other art. that this would be a passing game to build on conf. So if and when you read that post I hadn't read this one at that time.
Passem crazy Vols go JC it's way past due. I don't mean for him to go away.

letshave1more writes:

Stevens nickname last year by his own teammates was "PICK-NICK" from all the interceptions he threw in practice....
You really think he is a better choice than JC? Get real....

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

in response to reyem060809:

Coach Kiffin has had 10 months.
Coach Meyer has had 4 years and 10 months.

cobbwebb writes:

in response to reyem060809:

hey reamer437659372845, nobody said anything about kiffins signings ya knucklehead! show it to pee wee meyers recruits! if you wanna play qb at the next level, dont play in pee wees system! you know negative recruiting, you should know. meyer is king of negative recruiting! if the kid aint coming to your school, make damn sure he dont go to florida, or bama, etc....

BigT_Chief writes:

in response to reyem060809:

Congratulations? Is that what you're digging for?

TommyJack writes:

in response to letshave1more:

You really think he is a better choice than JC? Get real....

That was practice. You're talking PRACTICE. The other guy waits til game day.

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

in response to compact2:

If Coach Kiffin had run the hurry up and aired it out Saturday as Coach Meyer thought he should, you would have seen just how much worse it could have gotten.

cobbwebb writes:

in response to reyem060809:

do you want me to point out that your worst nightmare has come true! monte kiffin figured out a defensive scheme to punch the gators in the mouth! even you should admit, superman looked human last saturday, like a deer in the headlights when the blitz came! dont get me wrong, tebow carried your gators to victory, but it was an uphill battle! monte put out the blueprint, look out gators every defensive coach on your upcoming schedule will be watching that tape very closely my friend!

kazoo writes:

The Vol "skill" players are a joke. We have some veteran guys and they are clueless. Everybody in the country manages to have a decent passing game but us--and with young guys at QB and WR. It's sad.

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

in response to reyem060809:

And how many national championships did he have after 10 months? Be honest now.

kazoo writes:

in response to letshave1more:

You really think he is a better choice than JC? Get real....

You get real: Stephens started four games last year. Number of picks thrown in those four games: 0--that's ZERO. His passing numbers were good in all but one of this starts--including against bama and georgia. Practice is one thing, games quite another. That's where Kiffin is screwing up royally. Stephens would almost HAVE to be better--you can't be any worse than crompton, dude. Have you been watching the games?

NatureBoyVol writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

The Nature Boy will throw a WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO on the end of that....

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

in response to reyem060809:

Sooooooooo. Just to be sure I have this right, straight from you. This year was going to be a BLOWOUT! 63-3 or some such (actual 23-13).
BUT.... next year will be EASY?
I think I'll take easy.

jbc writes:

in response to letshave1more:

You really think he is a better choice than JC? Get real....

"Began his Vols career by throwing 106 consecutive passes without an interception - best start to a UT career and tied for fifth-best on all-time Tennessee list."

AllVol1 writes:

It really is a funny situation to be in. I agree with many who say that it is time to stop talking about what we can do in practice. I do not simply believe that CLK is playing Crompton because he's that much better than Stephens nor do I believe that Stephens is necessarily going to be much better. I have to believe CLK's motivated by a bigger picture of psychology AND recruiting. I am not going to complain about Crompton remaining the starter. I would be overjoyed to see more of his WKU performance. Sadly, the UCLA game was a bitter reminder of the past--even if Crompton says he does not think about the past (BS!). The FL game proved to me that Kiffin understands just how fragile Crompton's psyche really is. While I support CLK and believe he can truly turn this ship around, I am really itching to see Stephens get a shot at some significant game reps. He looked extremely sharp in his 4 for 4 time against WKU. Staying patient and faithful. Go Vols.

orangepridenation writes:

in response to 6daysOver:

you must be crompton's dad. just join the rest of humanity and admit that crompton sucks. it's not brain surgery for christ's sake.

orangepridenation writes:

in response to reyem060809:

is that really the best you can do? get a life loser.

amstelman writes:

Passing game? Great in practice? The product that is our QB deserves more of a break. Sure, last year was ... a freakish accident of the perfect storm between a mad scientist OC, a HC running on automatic with blinders, and a QB with no clue of the new scheme who dared not admit to not getting it.

Well, those excuses don't fly this year. The HC is the OC and I don't think he is anything but a realist. JC can't go through the motions and get away with it.

So, where does this lead? I think it leads to
playing the cards you're dealt. Face it. Crompton is sufficient to a certain degree and HCLK will play to that degree. Challenge JC ... gradually. Minimize exposure and maximize where you can.

Sometimes you can win a hand with two pair but you need some flushes and straights to win championships.

No surprise to anyone here, they ain't in the cards this year.

GahLee writes:

We all know the trials and tribulations of Jonathon Crompton, no need to retread it all. He has the chance for redemption unlike any of us have ever seen.

He also has the chance to go down as the most criticized, belittled player in UT history.

He has the tools to be good, can he/will he ever put it together, remains to be seen.

I for one, am hoping like hell that he does, once a Vol, always a Vol.

AllVol1 writes:

in response to 6daysOver:

First of all, dude, ease up on your fellow Vol fans. Do you really need to call people names? I would actually enjoy hearing your breakdown of Crompton's 8 (is it 8?) interceptions this year, but only if you can share your perspective in a mature way. Otherwise you make yourself sound childish and I don't think anyone will take you seriously. For the record, I agree that the WR's have made their share of mistakes. CLK shared as much. I would be very surprised if you could somehow show that Crompton was flawless on those 8 picks.

BillsBrother writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

I think the Witch Doctor has been reading my smoke signals!!

chad_t31 writes:

I see the Florida moron is still talking. Kiffin is actually in your head now. The gave is over. You won. By 10, not 50. You should have opened your offense more. You had the flu. We get it.

GahLee writes:

in response to jbc:

Not how you start but how you finish, that's a great start, but what were his overall numbers?

The most popular guy on a struggling team is always the back-up quarterback.

Who knows what has really gone on, maybe Crompton really is better, maybe it's a recruiting ploy, if it is a ploy, then I'm disappointed to no end. Cause everyone else is fighting for a spot on a weekly basis, not to do the same for the most important spot on any team is wrong.

orangepridenation writes:

everybody on this site who thinks kiffin is gaining some kind of "upper hand" in recruiting by sticking with crompton are pure idiots. i don't see where that comes into logic at all. ask yourself one little question. is an uncertain future sooo important that kiffin has to sacrifice an entire season just because of a quarterback....TO SOMEHOW MAGICALLY GET RECRUITS? i mean do you realize how that makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever? the only question regarding qb's that the players, coaches, and us as fans should be asking is simple. who gives us the better chance to win? crompton has lost us games...not had "off days", but has simply lost us games. can stephens be any worse? really? can he? i don't think kiffin has any reasoning what-so-ever for sticking with crompton other than his stubborness. now i love coach kiff's attitude and i'm behind him 100 percent. but he's already shown that he has ego problems, and some of it is good for publicity and good for recruiting, but i honestly think he doesn't switch to stephens for the simple fact that he doesn't want to appear to have actually been wrong about something. and as i said, his ego is exciting for the program, but this one's just hurting the team. kiffin needs to kick his selfish pride to the curb for one lousy saturday and simply see whether or not we're better off with stephens...period.
Go Big Orange!!!

BillsBrother writes:

in response to AllVol1:

So how many picks would we say is reasonable after 3 games? say...one per game? OK

First off, I beleive the total is seven.

WKU - both interceptions were off deflections. Who gets the blame? Receiver or QB?

UCLA - gosh, i can't get that first pass of the second half out of my head. that was awful.

FL - The pass to no one was worse than either of the interceptions. I think he should have gotten the flag on that. JC is getting a bum rap on the last interception of the game. He HAD to throw the ball. He HAD to give a receiver a chance to catch the ball. He did that. You could see Kiffin immediately saying that that pick was on him. I agree. It was a good decision by our QB.

So...4 interceptions I can not challenge.

Would I be happier with better QB performance? You bet! But JC is getting far more blame than he deserves. A stud receiver would help tremendously. We don't have that...yet.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to reyem060809:

Crawl back into your hole Rey.You just take up time and space on this board.

orangepridenation writes:

in response to MVuniv:

and you have no life.

VOLKING writes:

in response to MVuniv:

Actually you are a Gator interloper who can't let a win make you feel better. You won the game. Why are you guys continually on another team's site? Maybe because you didn't exact the revenge you promised? Kiffin is in your heads? I'm asking here. Let it go, my friend, and best of luck the rest of the way.

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

in response to AllVol1:

Never even talked to Coach Kiffin myself so I can’t say what his plan is. But what I suspect from what I’ve heard is that he has been protecting his QB. And I think that QB is Young Mr. Stevens. I think there is NO WAY Coach Kiffin was going to expose him to either the Florida defense nor the abuse of Tennessee fans if he failed. Nor do I expect him to trash(just bench) John Crompetition.
I expect Mr. Crompetition to bow out early this week to give Mr. Stevens repetitions. I expect that young Mr. Crompetition will also start against Auburn with Mr. Stevens coming in early for ‘meaningful reps’ and just sort of staying in.
I think our young coach asks his staff for help, covers every angle he can think of , asks his staff for help and then makes a decision,
Then again, meybe not. >)

GahLee writes:

in response to tweetdriver63#346474:

No it won't...they don't play the same level of competition...absurd to say what you said.

BillsBrother writes:

in response to Lostvolinhighweeds:

Then again, meybe not. >)

Very interesting take, LostVol. We've had to weed through a lot of bashing to find such gems of original thought.

TommyJack writes:

in response to MVuniv:

Lame. Very lame.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to BillsBrother:

First off, I beleive the total is seven.

So...4 interceptions I can not challenge.

Bill can you name a QB that never threw the ball away?

alavol writes:

in response to Plasticman:

Totally agree- Kiffin needs to tell Crompton to shut up until he looks like a quarterback and wins! I am sick of listening to his explanations.
shoot or get of the pot! Also, KNS, can you color the checkerboard shown in your intro orange and white instead of grey and black; this is depressing, like Cromptons playing!

jsm67vol writes:

in response to reyem060809:

It is pathetic how full of yourselves you UF fans are. If you honestly think Monte had to spend his first 9 months preparing for the gators you are truely an idiot. With 9 months to prepare, I'd say Monte has a game plan together for all UT's opponents. The gators aren't so good Monte needed to spend all his time preparing for that one game.