Two to visit Vols this weekend

Tennessee will host two official visitors this weekend: David Mahoney and Kenny Davis.

Mahoney is a 6-foot-2, 285-pound defensive tackle from Pierce Community College in Woodland Hills, Calif., and is widely considered one of the best junior college defensive tackles in the nation. Mahoney has scholarship offers from several schools.

The Vols lose defensive tackles Wes Brown and Dan Williams after this season.

Davis, Mahoney’s teammate, also is coming to Knoxville this weekend. The 6-3, 190-pounder is committed to Kansas State.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

jasonsvols writes:

1st

huntined#565710 writes:

We can use the big D guys.

VOLFORLIFE writes:

Defensive linemen are great, and I guess you can't have too many, but what about OFFENSIVE linemen? It seems (to me anyway) that's a more critical need.

By the way Hook, you gave Davis' size, but what position does he play--wide receiver maybe? Kansas State commit, but that could change if the Vols have a good showing.

GO VOLS!!!
(See y'all at the game Saturday! I'll be the one rocking Section YY!)
JUGHEAD

beachvol writes:

It's very common to turn a HS DL into an OL. They are not interchangable, however, as very few OL are converted into DL. Keep the big uglies coming. The coaches will figure out where they will play.

the10sevol writes:

in response to VOLFORLIFE:

GO VOLS!!!
(See y'all at the game Saturday! I'll be the one rocking Section YY!)
JUGHEAD

i was in yy for wku. jumboton provided some much-needed shade. neck was sore sunday from constantly looking back at it, though. enjoy!

GBO

bluetick writes:

I think Kiffin signs a big class this year. Another QB, DB, WR and maybe RB and most of the remaining will be linemen. We need some good ones that's for sure.

VOLFORLIFE writes:

in response to the10sevol:

GBO

Yeah, well, I don't think shade is what I'll be worrying about Saturday night. I think they're calling for something like an 80% chance of rain over there Saturday, so it could get pretty miserable. Especially for my wife of one year who is going to her first football game EVER. I've convinced her it's going to be an amazing event, but if we get drowned I may never be able to convince her to go to another.

GO VOLS!!!
JUGHEAD

SEAL_9821 writes:

in response to VOLFORLIFE:

GO VOLS!!!
(See y'all at the game Saturday! I'll be the one rocking Section YY!)
JUGHEAD

I read an article back in August that they plan on giving the last 4-5 scholarships to O-Lineman. I'm sure they are very aware of this. Besides, I would love to see our Defense produce some studs like we use to.

bustervols writes:

Don't waste our time if you're not ready to commit to the cause! We are east bound and down;
We gonna do what they say can't be done. Dig it!

murrayvol writes:

in response to compact2:

I'm going out on a limb and say he does.

We're in on some really good ones. Won't get em all but will get our share.

bobbytodd writes:

Here is a little info on an OL. http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&...

InertGas writes:

in response to compact2:

Sometimes DL's become OL's.

give_him_6 writes:

in response to the10sevol:

GBO

Ummm not to nit pick, but I have season tix in YY and it's not under the jumbotron. It's across the field from it, looking straight at it. Kinda hard to turn around and look back at it yousee. What was the punch you were drinkin that day?? Musta been some good stuff.

Go Vols

vol_chaz writes:

Rain+Ohio+No qb change=low turnout.. I'll be in section X3 regardless..

volbald writes:

Didn't UT convert a mediocre DL into an All-American OL during the mid-80's. Wasn't it McRae who helped open gapping holes for the backs in the 1986 Sugar Bowl win over Miami?

Madkels writes:

in response to bobbytodd:

Here is a little info on an OL. http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&...

Gotta love his attitude. He loves to run block. Come to UT and block for Oku and Brown baby!

T. J. Leifheit says he can bench 345-pounds, squat 500 and has a 24-inch vertical jump.
He plans on going pre-law and reports a 3.8 core GPA and 1120 SAT.

Leifheit: “I’m a good run blocker. I do that a lot. I love putting guys into the ground and I just keep driving until I do.

“I’m working on improving everything. But I want to get faster, stronger and be more explosive.”

voloffaith writes:

in response to jasonsvols:

1st

So happy that you got to be line leader today at kindergarten.

On topic,enjoy the visit and be a Vol next year ya'll!

TommyJack writes:

Reel'em

volcycle writes:

in response to MVuniv:

No, but it is comforting to know that other quarterbacks struggle. Here's to hoping that Crompton will continue to improve.

bill#1374014 writes:

JUCO players often don't work out. Vols need OL in worst way, have too many DBs and receivers. Bama and UF are light years ahead in quality linemen at this time, Vol coaches need to step it up.

Orangebrewbasher writes:

South Carolina's D is for real, but so is ours.

TommyJack writes:

in response to MVuniv:

You mean the Snead that packed gator hockey last year?

Irwin_Linker writes:

If you think about it a DL has all the tools to be an OL, but not vice versa. They are as big, but gennerally quicker. With our zone blocking scheme quickness is critical.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to the10sevol:

GBO

The10sevol,Are you sure you were in Newland stadium?Section yy is in the north end zone.The tron is in the south endzone.You would be looking straight ahead instead of back.That would have been a very long shadow to have shaded you.

in response to InertGas:

Sometimes DL's become OL's.

Exactly! Many former Vol O-linemen started out as D-linemen. D-linemen are usually quicker than prototypical O-linemen. The slower D-linemen often switch sides to play more. You very often see guys playing one position in HS and another in college when they put on more weight and strength. CBs become safeties; safeties become LBs; LB's become DEs, and so on.

in response to Madkels:

He plans on going pre-law and reports a 3.8 core GPA and 1120 SAT.

345 is not a real impressive bench-press for an OL these days, but he IS still just a kid. The squat and vertical leap are a bit more impressive since leg-drive is more important for run-blocking anyway.

VolFanInMO writes:

in response to VOLFORLIFE:

GO VOLS!!!
JUGHEAD

I can relate, Volforlife. I took my wife to her first game vs. wku. She enjoyed all of the hoopla surrounding the game but not the game itself: "It's too hot!" "It's too crowded!" "We have to sit on BLEACHERS???" I wish you better luck.

Volunatic writes:

in response to bill#1374014:

JUCO players don't always work out, but when you have IMMEDIATE need on the OL/DL, recruiting a JUCO player or two doesn't hurt.

in response to myfollower#555763:

Well, armchair coaches like us feel entitled to question the choice of QB and play-calling strategy, so why SHOULDN'T we feel entitled to critique recruiting as well(;-P)?

in response to sjt18:

Too bad for us if it works out that way, but Chapel Hill is a LOT closer to home for him.

HallowedHill writes:

I'm confused by the new Ole Miss recruiting rule. Can we still enroll players in January and count them towards last year's class? If so, that would allow us to recruit more than the ten slots remaining for 2010.

HallowedHill writes:

I'm hearing Cameron Newton will fill one of the 10 remaining slots.

in response to myfollower#555763:

Oh, I agree with you. I was just trying to have a little fun with all the super-serious, over-anxious know-it-alls who tend to populate these boards.

gbeejr#1354500 writes:

These two recruits come from Pierce Community College which is where the late Chris Mimms played (also happens to be where my daughter currently attends). Hopefully they're what we want and will be as successful as Mimms.

GeneralNeylandsReturn writes:

in response to compact2:

i'm sure he has no idea...jeez

ThurmondEppy writes:

in response to VOLFORLIFE:

GO VOLS!!!
JUGHEAD

Good luck Jughead. If your wife didn't go to a football school, like mine didn't, odds are she won't understand what all the hoopla is about. My advice is to not get stupid drunk like I did the first time I took her. Not good. Not a good day at all.

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to jcvet:

It looks like that is what our coaches are doing, more or less. If you look, we are stockpiling certain positions, like DT and DE. I'd be willing to bet that we will move some DT's being recruited now to OL, and some current DT's to OL, such as Nelson or Thomas, two rising seniors who haven't made a name for themselves yet at DT. Even though they can't crack the DT two deep, they might make good OL's. (Hell, We just about don't have a choice given our OL needs!) And I think that's by the coaching staff's DESIGN rather than by random chance. If you look at the two DT's we have committed now from JC's I would be surprised if at least one of them isn't switched to OL after they get here. that's our immediate need, and it makes sense to do that by design.

Voluvr writes: