No commitment, but UT appears to lead with David Mahoney

Tennessee didn’t receive a commitment from David Mahoney but the Vols clearly established themselves as the leader for his services.

“I just want some more visits to see what’s out there for me,” the 6-foot-2, 285-pound defensive tackle from Pierce Community College in Woodland Hills, Calif., said on Sunday. “Truly, Tennessee is on top but I just want to go on some more visits before I make a decision.”

Mahoney, who took his official visit to UT this weekend along with receiver teammate Kenny Davis, said the two will visit Penn State in October and Texas Tech in November before announcing his decision.

Mahoney said the two would like to continue playing together, if possible.

“It’s something we’d like to do but it’s not a have to,” Mahoney said. “If we both like the same school, we’re going to go to the same school but I’m not going to go to a school that I don’t want to and he’s not going to go to a school he doesn’t want to just to be with me.”

UT is still evaluating Davis.

Mahoney is enjoying the fruits of his junior college labor. Once a marginal prospect coming out of high school, Mahoney is now one of the top junior college defensive tackle prospects in the nation.

Mahoney only had a couple of scholarship offers coming out of high school; the most prominent was Utah.

“I have a million now,” Mahoney said.

Mahoney’s statistical record underscores his penchant for making plays behind the line of scrimmage. In 2008, he registered 12 sacks and 12 more tackles for a loss. This season, he already has three sacks and two other tackles for a loss in three games.

Mahoney seemed intrigued to continue his tutelage under UT defensive line coach Ed Orgeron, who is handling Mahoney’s recruitment.

“He’s a great dude,” Mahoney said of Orgeron. “I looked up his track record and he has a lot of dudes that went to the pros. (He’s) got first round picks. Amazing players and he was the main thing that helped them out. He’s a straight shooter.”

If Mahoney has a concern about the Vols or Orgeron, it’s his defensive line rotation. Orgeron regularly plays as many as ten defensive linemen in a game.

“I’m not used to being rotated but I guess if that’s his coaching style and that’s what makes me better and we win like that I don’t mind,” Mahoney said. “If it’s working I’m cool with it.”

Mahoney said he hopes to enroll at his chosen college in January.

As for his official visit to UT, he said the team atmosphere, facilities and “amazing” coaching staff stood out.

“They set the bar,” Mahoney said. “Right now, they’re on top of my list.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

allvolinatlanta writes:

Come on Mahoney, we need you!

ut_vols13 writes:

Sweet

HallowedHill writes:

Reel this young man in - GO VOLS!

givehim6 writes:

in response to allvolinatlanta:

Come on Mahoney, we need you!

Yes sir, and you could be on the field playing your 1st season.

GahLee writes:

UT is going to have to continue to hit the junior college market, lack of depth and overall talent make this necessary.

Wish he played the other side of the ball.

ParisTNVOL writes:

Rotation on the defensive line is something he needs to get used to. If he plays at the next level, NFL teams routinely rotate their defensive linemen to keep them fresh. Haynesworth rotated in and out all the time for the Titans the last few years, and that didn't hinder him from being the most dominant lineman in the league.

acolvol#632266 writes:

Come be a Vol, Dude!

golfballs03 writes:

Doc, I got to tell ya, you have angered me with your irresponsibilty. And yet at the same time, you were a straight shooter. And I can't fault you for that.

Slystone writes:

So if the rotation isn't working and the team is losing does that mean he will be upset and create a locker room disturbance?

Down_The_Field writes:

in response to GahLee:

Wish he played the other side of the ball.

my very same thought.

he needs to be reminded that 2 of the 3 recent names on the stadium are defensive linemen.

lowman4vols writes:

fellas we don't need JUCO defensive lineman, we need some OLineman real bad, we are solid, not great on the DL but we are in terrible shape up there on that there OL, next year could be worse than this year if da vols dont build some depth up front...

rockytopatl writes:

At 285 with good feet, this dude could play offensive line if need be. You can switch defensive linemen -- it rarely works the other way.

TennesseeGorilla writes:

in response to lowman4vols:

It doesn't hurt to load up on depth a lot of our recruits are d-line, but get in where you fit in, if you know what I mean. Besides we are gonna wrap up a few of these high ranked O-line recruits anyway because of the playing time factor, just wait til signing day, we'll have the No.1 class and at least 3 high o-line recruits, this staff will close with fury again this year, just like last year.

tdvol1989 writes:

Well, we are not exactly loaded at defensive line and can really use a couple really good ones. I know our biggest need is at O-line, but a dominant defensive front can keep us in games while our offense...well, is AWOL. But, I will keep checking the recruiting updates for Offensive Lineman because we are inadequate there more so than anywhere else.

I do agree with getting some JUCO Lineman on both sides. We are signing (commitments) and have signed some Offensive Skill Positions and D-Backs. We look a little out of balance now. We need a few guys who can step in and have an impact in 2010 or next year will not be much of an improvement.

InertGas writes:

Rotation on the DL is a must. You'll make more plays with fresh legs and your career will last longer also. C'mon N B A VOL.

VOLFORLIFE writes:

in response to golfballs03:

Huh? Did I miss something?

GO VOLS!!!
JUGHEAD

BobbyGraham writes:

in response to VOLFORLIFE:

Huh? Did I miss something?

GO VOLS!!!
JUGHEAD

A saturday night live reference of a skit with Chris Parnell and Will Ferrell. Pretty funny sketch, actually

volunteers4life writes:

Correct me if Im wrong but, it seems like these coaches often times prefer to recruit DL's, and TE's to play offensive line because they tend to come in with a lot of athleticism. It seems like this coaching staff values athleticism on the O-Line to fit their style of play. Perhaps this is why we have so many D-Side recruits and our class appears to be a little out of balance. Some of these guys may be slated in the coaches' minds to switch sides at the collegiate level. I hope this post makes sense, I have been running a 103 degree temp for the past day and am severely drugged up....

oldsarge writes:

This is how you build your HS team.
First, pick your QB
Second, best athletes go on defense.
The recruiting services make a big deal over whether a player is offense or defense. Coaches know that Defense is reaction football, Offense is assignment football. When a player arrives at a program the coaches will try and place him were he will benefit the team. It is not uncommon for D-Linemen to become O-Linemen, HS Linebackers to become D-Linemen, and HS Safties to become LB's.

in response to tdvol1989:

Keep in mind that at least two of the all-time great O-linemen in UT history were recruited as D-linemen, Fred Weary and Charles McRae. As someone said above, DLs OFTEN become successful OLs but it rarely works the other way. If a kid is big and slow as a HS OL, he will usually take a couple of years to get in proper shape for college ball. DLs are usually quicker than OLs in HS, if a bit smaller. The idea for success in college is to add weight and strength to DLs and try to improve the quickness of OLs. Since quickness is more of an innate quality than size and strength, it is better to recruit for speed and quickness and then put the slower of THOSE on the OL.

micbrooks#212023 writes:

in response to lowman4vols:

We all agree on this, but, some of the D-line recruits will be converted to O-linemen. this is already in the works. We have done this before with good results

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to lowman4vols:

Have to agree this class is loaded with DE and DLine..I think the O Line will take care of it's self in Feb. We have 2 very good in state prospects and should get them both

douglasawilliams#582863 writes:

We need more offensive linemen. The offensive line going to be very inexperienced next season and maybe that won't be a bad thing. Likely will see NS start at qb, unless Bray can be a Matt Barkely type of instant success. Why not, Ainge played pretty good his freshmen season.