Reveiz hurts knee; Rogan suspended

Trainers tend to Tennessee linebacker Nick Reveiz (56) in the third quarter on Saturday, Sept. 26, 2009 at Neyland Stadium. The Vols evened their record to 2-2 with a 34-23 win over Ohio but Reveiz suffered a season-ending knee injury.

Photo by Adam Brimer

Game recap: Tennessee 34, Ohio 23

It was a painful victory for Tennessee's football team Saturday night at Neyland Stadium.

The Vols suffered a myriad of injuries during the 34-23 victory over Ohio University. None hurt worse than the knee injury sustained by starting middle linebacker Nick Reveiz.

With 2:05 left in the third quarter, Reveiz went down with an injury to his right knee and didn't return.

"I think our middle linebacker (Reveiz) is out for the year," UT coach Lane Kiffin said. "He blew his knee out."

Reveiz is a former walk-on from Farragut High School who earned a scholarship and a starting job.

"That's a huge blow for us because Nick is not only one of the big leaders on our team, he brings a lot to our team physically, mentally, and emotionally," defensive end Chris Walker said. "Just him being out on the field is a big plus for us, the way he plays, his attitude, his leadership is something that's great for our defense and great for our team.

"If he's not able to go it will be a big blow but I'm confident in the leadership we have on our team we can pick that slack up."

Rogan Suspended: Starting left cornerback Dennis Rogan didn't play Saturday and he wasn't seen on the sideline.

"Dennis was suspended as an administrative reason," Kiffin said. "He'll be back next week. We talk about doing the little things right and everybody doing them and when people are selfish and don't do the little things right, they don't play. The immediate effect is the team. You saw it tonight. We missed him today out there."

Brent Vinson started in place of Rogan, and Marsalous Johnson also played the left corner.

Nu'Keese Starts: True freshman Nu'Keese Richardson got his first start at wide receiver in place of senior Quentin Hancock (broken jaw). Freshman Marsalis Teague got his fourth consecutive start at the other wide receiver spot.

Redshirt freshman Aaron Douglas started at right guard in place of Jarrod Shaw. Cory Sullins started at left guard in place of Vladimir Richard (knee/Achilles); Jarrod Shaw replaced Sullins on the second series.

"I was anxious at first, but that's just normal," Douglas said. "It felt good to get a game under my belt. Now we'll move on and get Auburn."

Defensively, Vinson got his first start at of the season at left cornerback, where Johnson started the season opener and Rogan the next two games. Andre Mathis started at left tackle for Wes Brown (knee). Greg King started for LaMarcus Thompson at strong-side linebacker.

Nu-Gun formation: Jonathan Crompton's first pass of the game was overthrown to NuKeese Richardson. Seven plays later, Richardson lined up at quarterback, took the snap, and handed off to Montario Hardesty, who scored on an 11-yard run.

Richardson took the snap from center for one play during the Vols' second possession and gained 5 yards on a run. It was the last time Richardson lined up in that formation.

Fourth-Quarter Points: Matthew Weller's 31-yard field goal with 10:38 left in the game were the first points allowed by the Vols in the fourth quarter of a game this season. Weller later missed a 32-yard field-goal attempt with 2:08 to play.

Not Streakers: With 6:54 left in the third quarter, three male fans (fully clothed) ran onto the field from near the south end zone. They ran across midfield to near the 20-yard line of the other side of the field. Two of them were tackled by security and the other was grabbed by security before being taken out of the stadium.

No Vol Walk: The Vol Walk was canceled due to heavy rains before the Ohio game. UT announced 2 hours the Vol Walk was called off for the safety of players and fans.

Bowl Rep: Representatives from the Capital One Bowl were at the game.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

Orangeblood13 writes:

ya, I especially hate his basketball with Bert. MOney! gimmie a break. BUt right now, outside of Hardesty, what does ole Bob got to get excited about?

VolAlum2003 (Inactive) writes:

Wow...Reveiz out for the year. That is horrible. I hope that Kiffin's initial eval. is wrong. Much love to Nick and well wishes on a speedy recovery. We'll definitely miss you.

AlpharettaVol writes:

in response to scknowsit:

Whoever you are, just go away!

fpcoach writes:

in response to scknowsit:

What a pathetic little girl you are. You should stick to watching oprah.

xvolx writes:

in response to 02champs#209256:

You should have heard Smith on TV. He was even worse.

paul5170 writes:

in response to scknowsit:

From under which rock did you come.

Vols033 writes:

in response to scknowsit:

Obviously sc doesn't know the definition of glue guy.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Sad about Nick.

Ohio ate Vinson alive. Doubt if we see faster or better WR's than they showed.

Tebow got cold-cocked at Ky, also.

leedsvol2007 writes:

The loss of Reveiz hurts. He plays with smarts and guts and is the quarterback of our defense.

Let's hope someone steps up.

kazoo writes:

What happened to Thompson? This team will miss Reveiz badly. He is important to the defense and the team--got a lot of respect for the kid.

spencer1989#206886 writes:

in response to smokey65:

Sine your question is a NASCAR related question (that dates back to Smith wanting UT to play football inside the Bristol race track and NOT Neyland stadium)....Why not take your question to their site and start your garbage there. It's obvious you are not a true fan and your momma must have not bought you any more marbles, pebbles, or stones to play with. I'm sorry if you have no one to play with, but you deserve no more attention than I already gave you...And that is too much as it is. My bad....So have a good day.

dvols writes:

kesling does a fine job....keeps it even! vinson was a five star

GR82BAVOL writes:

in response to xvolx:

You should have heard Smith on TV. He was even worse.

XVOLX! I still have a Randy Smith hangover. That was the worst call of a game in the history of football at any level, and I had to pay for it!

give_him_6 writes:

in response to xvolx:

You should have heard Smith on TV. He was even worse.

Smith was way better than Bob. Even Jeff was better. Bob needs to get out of town.

Fryinpansvols writes:

in response to jcvet:

Exactly! I hate to wish injury on anyone but man Crompton sucks. He gives us no chance to win. Nick is a heck of a football player. The last few years when he played special teams he was always around the football. At least one positive from this is that Nick is only a Junior. Get well soon Nick!

midtnfan writes:

Another great moral victory.

spoonerism writes:

Bob Kesling is just plain BAD. Whenever he says, "Check that", it means he messed up a guy's name or the spot of the ball, but is blaming someone else.

Can we get someone with some knowledge or enthusiasm? Man, I miss John Ward.

At least with John you were entertained. Whenever they show those memorable moments on the jumbotron, John Ward's calls were just as memorable. Kesling is BORING!!!!

navarrebeachvol writes:

in response to DaMan:

still haven't gotten yourself a life i see. a "big fat F"? what are you, like in 3rd grade?? i'm sure you have accomplished many great things. feel free to name a few. I'm sure just last week your teacher taught you how to color inside the liness. name something else. we could use a good laugh, a__clown

tom.johnson59#1360512 writes:

NICK REVEIZ (56) YOU WILL BE MISSED BY THE BIG ORANGD NATION HANG IN THERE AND GOOD LUCK
GOD BLESS

GO VOLS

navarrebeachvol writes:

in response to scknowsit:

some of the "posters" are just plain stupid. some are just jerks. some have such an inferiority complex, they have to attack everything to make themselves feel better about their sorry little life. congrats, you qualify for all three categories.

yabadabadoo1026 writes:

in response to navarrebeachvol:

so true---we have our share of losers who just have to seek out anything to complain about

gbeejr#1354500 writes:

in response to DaMan:

DumbMan, you be dumb.

kiffownsfla writes:

dam this bites

blitzshoot writes:

I wish Reveiz, TeBow, and all the others that had the stones to give it all on the field yesterday, a speedy recovery. I will never understand why some wish for injury to young men that put it on the line every week. AS far as Crompton, blame the people that put him in this position, not him. If you are told to take the field, how many are going to say no. Whether I like a player or not, I understand that are on the field, I'm not.

in response to scknowsit:

Aha! Now we know that you are just another incarnation of RobVol/Naffy! Since everybody connected with both programs, AND most of their on-field opponents, recognized what leaders and key performers both Bradshaw and Reveiz were, your opinion means nothing. Your comment about Berry just confirms that you have NO CLUE, let alone "know[s] it".

OwensboroVol writes:

You guys complaining about Kesling! We're spoiled because we had what I consider to be the best announcer in the country in John Ward. Nobody did it better. I'll go to my grave never hearing any better. Anyone would be a let down after John.

blitzshoot writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

Very True!

TennesseeGorilla writes:

Get well Nick...Good Fight Kid, you've done great. We need the rest of these guys to step up and play hard. Auburn is way tougher than Ohio.

pammyvol1000 writes:

Until we can throw the long ball, we have a tough road ahead. We don't have an AJ Green as receiver that knows how separate and position against defenders.. This was an ugly win but I'll take it.

bluetick writes:

in response to scknowsit:

Don't you love these people who are so brave hiding behind a computer screen in their panties talking trash. What a tough lil girlie you are. Alligator mouth and a tadpole @@@. Keep running your c@@@-sucker lil girlie.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to GR82BAVOL:

You should try as I did listening to Kesling drone with a pelting rain hitting the top of the barn.

Geeszus!

hgvol writes:

in response to dvols:

kesling does a fine job....keeps it even! vinson was a five star

I like Vinson, but he was a five star receiver, after a year at Hargrave. You are reading into that a little much. I do like the guy. I wonder if he shouldnt have another crack at the other side of the ball.

LibertyVolance writes:

in response to 02champs#209256:

One thing I have noticed. For whatever reason, the best sports broadcasters seem to have gravelly voices from the northwest. Places like North Dakota, Minn, or Wisc. UT should accept demo-audios from every source and probably should find a classic broadcaster longterm. I think Kesling was selected primarily on familiarity only. His voice certainly doesn't appeal to the listeners. We could do better, I agree.

givehim6 writes:

NOTE to all 4-Star defencive recruits, immediate opening and playing time. Be coached by great EX NFL coach. Come to UT and this can be yours!

ibvolman writes:

in response to smokey65:

that would be a very short track. no truth to nthat one.

VolVolFan writes:

in response to BIGGEST_UT_FAN:

True This! Can't replace the Legendaire Coach Phil Fulmer. Never have, never will ... especially with Junior.

SavTnVol writes:

in response to GR82BAVOL:

I agree...and I had to pay for it too...but the one with the hangover had to be Smith, cause he had to be drunk to make some of the calls he made last night....I used to turn off the sound on the TV and listen to John Ward while I watched the game...Not anymore radio listening...The only time I've listened to Kesling is when I was on the road and couldn't watch the game on TV (once only)...Thats why I've bought every game on PPV when they wasn't on regular TV..I wasn't about to listen to him and Priest...

Volsrbest writes:

Hang in there Nick and come back stronger next season! We'll miss you!

Go Vols!!

crimsonviper writes:

Hate to hear about Reveiz.We lost a good one too.Hope see him back at full strength again. Reveiz is a good one.GoVols

eutefan writes:

A positive going for Nick is his excellent work attitude.

I'm sure he'll approach rehab and therapy with the same intensity he showed on the field... and he'll be back!

Good luck, Nick.

TommyJack writes:

in response to GR82BAVOL:

My favorite Randy Smithism was "the man was out of bounds,but not enough to stop the clock". I'm not kidding here.

Psychovol writes:

I have all the empathy in the world for Nick and none for Dennis. Grow up and represent. Randy Smith must have been in the tank. He's the worst I've ever heard.

UTROX writes:

in response to xvolx:

You should have heard Smith on TV. He was even worse.

The TV announcer was HORRENDOUS!!!! That must have been the worst called game I have ever heard. He had no clue about the rules, and kept getting players mixed up. What an embarrassment.

MUFFIN_41 writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

very very very true

1Big_Orange_Fan writes:

Funny that you guys mention how bad Smith was. He was so bad that it became comic relief for us as we watched the game. Although you couldn't see Jeff Francis (just writing that name makes me long for a QB that can complete a pass), you could feel how uncomfortable he was trying to call the game yet not make corrections on all the missed calls that Smith made.

Ok, it's obvious that CLK wants to make a passer out of Crompton but it ain't happening. With every quarter that goes by he is losing credibility with us as fans and he will eventually lose the players. Crompton will lose games for us that we should win. Does anyone remember how average receivers Austin Rogers, Josh Briscoe, and Lucas Taylor had a combined 150 catches in Ainge's senior year and less than 50 combined last year? Simply pathetic. Crompton CAN'T be our best option. TIME FOR CHANGE!!!

mytrifecta writes:

in response to 02champs#209256:

no kidding! When I was a kid my dad would always turn off the sound to the TV and we would listen to John Ward. I tried the same thing with Kesling and it lasted about 3 plays. He's got all the entusiasm of a PGA Golf announcer. I recall him being an announcer on local TV and truly believe that's his calling. Too bad we couldn't have locked up Mike Keith before the Titans got him.

mytrifecta writes:

in response to LakeCityGator:

i think he's intimating that no single player is bigger than the team by the way he responded. Doesn't make it right...but that seems to be his attitude.

STNVol09 writes:

in response to xvolx:

You should have heard Smith on TV. He was even worse.

You are right xvolx.......Randy Smith was absolutley terrible. Could not get player names correct, was very confused about who had the ball ..was it Ohio 1st and ten or Tennessee 1st and ten? A very disappointing experience.

wjackson#226202 writes:

Holy Cow! My wife and I were watching the game and kept commenting on how the guy calling the game kept telling the wrong score. The wrong team. It reminded me of Bob Ueker on Major League. At least Bob was acting. This guy is rediculous. But it was funny.

LiveFaith writes:

in response to smokey65:

This is either a joke or the dumbest post in the history of GVX. And that's baaad.

What's NASCAR gonna have a 1/16 mi oval in there!?!? All 43 cars would be bumper to bumper with the pole sitters front bumper touching the rears of the last qualifiers. That should make for some paint swappin'. Geesh.