UT considering options to replace Reveiz

Tennessee will think long term in deciding how to best fill the vacancy left by middle linebacker Nick Reveiz' season-ending injury.

Reveiz suffered a torn ACL in UT's 34-23 win over Ohio and Kiffin said the Vols clearly will miss him - at linebacker, on special teams and as an example off the field.

"We've seen the difference when he's not in there,'' coach Lane Kiffin said.

As for who will be in there, the staff will look at several options this week while preparing for Auburn's visit to Neyland Stadium (TV: ESPN, 7:45 p.m.).

The one they looked at during Monday's brief practice was Savion Frazier, a 6-foot-2, 221-pound junior who has backed up Rico McCoy at weakside (Will) linebacker.

Redshirt freshman Herman Lathers has been listed behind Reveiz on the depth chart. Because Lathers had a concussion against Ohio, true freshman Nigel Mitchell-Thornton played most of the 20-odd snaps after Reveiz went down.

"There's two ways to go about it,'' Kiffin said. "If it was the 10th or 11th game you just play the back-up because he knows it best.

Frazier said he last played middle linebacker in the seventh grade, but that he welcomed the opportunity.

"Linebacker is linebacker,'' he said. "Physically, I'm good. I think I'll be OK.

"It's more of a challenge mentally, because you've got to call the defense and know all the checks.

"I know all the checks and calls but I've never had to make 'em. Now they're all on me.''

Strongside linebacker LaMarcus Thompson, who missed the Ohio game due to a bruised back, said he felt "normal" Monday.

Rogan Back: Dennis Rogan has been reinstated after a one-game administrative suspension and worked at cornerback.

Jones To Apologize: Receiver Gerald Jones said Monday his frustrations bubbled over again Saturday night and led to a regrettable display of emotion.

Jones said he would apologize to Kiffin after practice for his display on the field after Jonathan Crompton missed hitting Jones on a pass route.

"I haven't got a chance to apologize to Coach Kiffin but I guarantee I'm going to do that just as soon as I go in,'' Jones said.

"Everything I did was out of line. In the heat of the moment, a competitive attitude comes out when things ain't going right.

"I talked to my momma and we talked about how I've just really got to keep my composure. I've still got a lot of growing up to do. I'm 20 years old but that ain't no excuse.''

Jones said the fact that he has caught only three passes in four games after being a go-to target in his first two years has left him frustrated with his role.

"It's humbling,'' he said. "I feel like if I'm not catching the ball or making plays, then I'm not helping the team.''

Georgia Kickoff To Wait: CBS-TV has opted to take a six-day window (rather than 12) on announcing a kickoff time for the Oct. 10 UT-Georgia game.

Athletic director Mike Hamilton said a decision will be made Monday. The options are either around noon or 3:30 p.m.

Good Grades: Kiffin praised first-time starters Cody Sullins at left guard and Aaron Douglas at right tackle against Ohio.

Noting that both will face more physical match-ups in the coming weeks, Kiffin said Sullins and Douglas "played extremely well" and that right guard Jacques McClendon had his best game of the year, despite battling an illness over the weekend.

"Even though the perception was (the line) played really well at Florida they did not,'' Kiffin said. "They came back and were much more consistent (against Ohio).

"They played faster and I attribute that to a better week of practice.''

Still Out: Montario Hardesty (leg), Vlad Richard (knee) and Chris Walker (back) did not participate Monday.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

AceVentura writes:

in response to DaMan:

And how do you know this? And when did this happen?

eve.mitchell6#1374325 writes:

DanMan, you mind your business, just stick to the game!

FWBVol writes:

in response to DaMan:

Don't trip over the facts when you are telling your lies.

FACT: Hancock's jaw was broken in the fourth quarter of the Florida game when he was trying to recover a fumble.

FACT: Rogan did break someone's jaw, the UCLA quarterback's.

VolAlum2003 (Inactive) writes:

We can (should) replace Crompton...I'm not so sure we can replace Reveiz.

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

in response to FWBVol:

Don't trip over the facts when you are telling your lies.

FACT: Rogan did break someone's jaw, the UCLA quarterback's.

An appeal I make regularly to my wife:
Will you PLEASE stop clouding the argument with the facts?

GR82BaTennesseeVOL writes:

in response to Lostvolinhighweeds:

An appeal I make regularly to my wife:
Will you PLEASE stop clouding the argument with the facts?

LOL...so i'm not the only one?!?

Why does she have to think she's right ALL THE TIME (even though she IS)?!?

GR82BaTennesseeVOL writes:

Sorry...back on topic:

I really hope Savion Frazier earns the starting MLB spot. We've been hearing since the Fulmer administration that Frazier's a "playmaker in waiting". Well, IMHO, why wait any longer?!?

We're sure going to miss Nick Reveiz, but I hope that Savion Frazier wins the job and shows us all what we've been missing while he's been sitting on the depth chart behind Rico McCoy.

Then, next year, when McCoy graduates & is gone, Frazier can bring all that starting experience with him back to the weakside spot when Nick makes his healthy return back to the middle!

As for Rogan: whatever it was, I don't need to know. Based on Kiffin's track record thus far in handling disciplinary problems, I trust that he handled it the right way. I just hope Rogan learned his lesson.

As for G. Jones: I agree that he has NOT played well this year, but I attribute that to his injury problems which have kept him out of too many practices. It's nice to see him admit that he's not been acting right and to vow to improve. I hope he follows through.

We're in for a rough stretch in terms of our upcoming schedule. I simply hope we win at least two out of the next four.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

One concept would be to see how the elgible candidates do in a game situation. Could apply to many positions.

Just a thought.

eb502us#225637 writes:

Gotta be frustrating for Jones. Beyond his injuries, he OBVIOUSLY feels Crompton can't get the job done and said as much last season.

Had Crompton been competent, Jones would have at least 2 touchdowns already. I'm sure there are plenty of other players on the team that feel the same about Crompton needing to be benched. It's hard not to when you have a 5th yr. senior that plays like a 5th grader, needing his hand held at all times. It's really a pathetic situation and is doing Crompton no favors either.

Just hope Lane realizes that by leaving him in, he risks a repeat of last season where it seemed to divide the team. Looks to me like it's already started.

SouthDakotaBob writes:

Wonder how long it would take to get Gerald Williams up to speed at MLB? Like his size for stuffing the run. GBO

Down_The_Field writes:

in response to DaMan:

don't mix politics here. the staff NEVER promised disclosure.

would you?

those who've coached and played this game know that what happens in the locker room, stays in the locker room some cases, if not most case.

disclosure??? do you disclose to the media and fans how you plan to attack auburn's offense.

crimson viper was write.....you're not DaMan.....you're DaClown.

NeylandWest writes:

in response to Bob4Vols:

I'm fairly sure that if one athlete knocked the other athlete out for a few games b/c of a fight that Kiffin would toss them. Lest we forget the 11 that left prior to the beginning of the season...and since then...have we had any arrests or other issues??? No.

Don't be an idiot. I know it's hard, but seriously Bob4Stupidity, go back to drooling and watching the butterflies. The meds will kick in soon, big fella.

OrangeCrush writes:

Man where is Chris Donald? He should be competing for playing time. I was really hoping the staff could get him on the field.

I'll leave it in Coach Thompson's hands...

the10sevol writes:

read on another site that rogan was benched for skipping classes. d morley example didn't register with dennis, i guess.

get well, nick, we'll miss you this season.

GBO

mbible1utk#324980 writes:

Lane handled this like Urban should have handled it.... this was the first we've heard about any player being sick, and he didn't even use that to mention a poor team performance, he used it in saying that his player played the best game of the year in spite of it. Urban should take note!

Txvol57 writes:

in response to eb502us#225637:

Yeah because it was Cromptons fault that Jones ran out of bounds in the end zone cant run his routs right or catch balls that hit him in the hands....you're a joke...do us a favor and stop posting

Orangeblood13 writes:

Jones, you have done nothing since your Wildcat against Kentucky, stop whining and do something. Everything I read on him is not football related but apology and sorry. I would say 1 catch for 4 yards or whatever is sorry, apologize for that.

Da-Moron like I have said about your posts, blah blah blah, you have no substance with your babble.

Rogan will make a difference and LB is not a problem, we will be fine in there. Bigger question is where is Eric Berry?

voloffaith writes:

in response to FreeTDTN:

Crompton sir....figured you didn't want to look childish by calling him a cutsey name like we did in third grade.

On topic, missing Reveiz will potentially be most noticeable in calling the defense and doing the checks. C'mon VOLS send Aubie home with his tail tucked 'tween his legs back to the plains!

hopalong writes:

Quote from Coach L. Kiffin in the article, "But eight regular-season games left is a long season. We have to make sure we're not just playing a guy because he knows what to do if we have guys that would be better.'' Question- If there are guys that would be better, why are they not playing now and above some of the others on the depth charts who are playing?

volunteerfan23 writes:

I feel that Nick Reviz is Tennessee football. He is ALL heart and soul, former walk on to starter he gives 125% all the time. I would take 11 starters like him against your five star recruits any day. He will be missed and I hope his recovery goes well. I would like to see Savion Frazier get the nod at middle linebacker. And finally I have been waiting for Crompton to have that breakout game for a year and almost a half now..............kind of losing hope of it happening. But I still love the Vols!

murrayvol writes:

in response to pdhuff#552644:

Just a thought.

"You just keep thinkin' Butch. That's what you're good at." Sundance Kid - circa 1900.

Major_Magilicutty writes:

I think I'll continue to post how disappointed I am with Kiffin's decision to keep Montario in the game when it was obvious he could barely walk. Irresponsible.

murrayvol writes:

in response to eb502us#225637:

These players aren't stupid. They know who can play and who can't.

October will sort things out as far as this season goes.

murrayvol writes:

in response to OrangeCrush:

I'll leave it in Coach Thompson's hands...

I think we can stop worrying about Chris Donald.

HollySpringsVOL writes:

in response to Bob4Vols:

Ok, now we really know. "Bob" must be Phil or Vicky Fulmer. Chill out, Philco. Give it a rest. What is done is done. Go do some fishing and spend the 6 mill wisely. We loved ya when you were here, but you aren't any more, so move on.

1pavolfan writes:

I to am wondering about Chris Donald, #1 rated linebacker out of H/S, Whats his problem?????

OrangeCrush writes:

in response to murrayvol:

I think we can stop worrying about Chris Donald.

Probably right.

Too bad though...

tenncorncob writes:

in response to long_vol:

Andy Kelly is the best QB to play for the Vols in my lifetime.......

voloffaith writes:

in response to long_vol:

Rethink that one with $ and cents applied to buyouts of staff. Might look good in theory,but in reality the UT pckets are not deep enough in these economic times to do that again on the heels of freeing Coach Fulmer of his duties.

in response to voloffaith:

I don't recall the details of the buyouts, but as a rule they DO go down over the length of the contract. Still, it's WAY too early to start thinking about that stuff. There is a sense in which much of this staff came here to prove that they are in fact winners. We haven't enjoyed hearing it, but some of the 'lopers may have a point. CLK and CEO in particular have some gaps in their resumes. Even CMK might want to show he can still do it after the fall-off at Tampa last year. Thompson and Garza have also had issues in their recent past. I know and have made the arguments that there were reasons why these guys had the problems they had elsewhere, but we shouldn't underestimate their desire to put any such doubts behind them. For that reason, I'm pretty sure they are going to do all they can to make sure they leave for their own reasons, not because they didn't get the job done here. JMHO.

Ringleader writes:

in response to NeylandWest:

It's 15 that have left, not 11.