QB race starts as a crawl; Stephens, Simms shaky in scrimmage

The pressure of a quarterback battle is intense enough as it is.

It's not helping Nick Stephens any to heap even more on himself.

The Tennessee senior went into the first scrimmage of the spring trying to make a big impression in his race with Matt Simms to take over the offense, and in some ways Stephens accomplished that Thursday at Neyland Stadium. It just wasn't the one he was hoping for after a 3-for-9, six-yard passing performance according to stats provided to the media by UT.

"Personally, it didn't go well, and I'll be the first one to say it," Stephens said. "I won't try to sugarcoat anything, I didn't have that good of a day. I thought I was putting too much pressure on myself, and I'm going to get a lot better from this scrimmage to the next scrimmage. I have to, and I'm going to.

"I've been throwing the ball very accurate this whole entire camp, and I'm going to watch the film to make sure that I am. I've got the numbers to show that I am. That's not the problem right now. I was thinking a little too much today and putting too much pressure on myself to make a big play because of how bad I want it."

Obviously Simms wants the job just as much, though neither of the two favorites for it at this point did much to separate from the other in new coach Derek Dooley's first scrimmage.

Stephens apparently had an issue with nerves, rushed some throws and made a few poor decisions. Simms struggled statistically as well, finishing just 6-for-20 for 83 yards with a touchdown and an interception - leaving plenty of room to improve for both.

"I wouldn't say you expect that," Dooley said. "You always hope them to play better than they do. Some of them play a little better, and then some of them get out there and have a little anxiety because it's the first one and they want to do well. It's important to learn to just relax and play and let the play come to you.

"You know, it certainly wasn't the best performance (for Stephens) and he was probably a little late on some reads, had some batted balls - just very jittery it looked like. That's why you have a first scrimmage."

Even if the quarterbacks struggled throughout it, the Vols still had some offensive highlights.

Both quarterbacks praised the offensive line and the protection they got in the pocket. Running back Tauren Poole busted a long run and piled up 94 yards on nine carries with a touchdown. Receiver Zach Rogers caught a 22-yard touchdown and true freshman Ted Meline added a 14-yarder for a score.

But every phase had some problems to correct as well, clearly starting with some shakiness under center.

"I definitely made some mistakes, but that's football - you're going to make mistakes, especially at quarterback," Simms said. "All eyes are on us. As far as that goes, we'll see how the film looks and go from there.

"The depth chart, at the moment you really can't think about it. This is spring football. We're not going into the season, so we have plenty of time before we have to worry about that."

Neither guy at the top did much to change that depth chart in the first big opportunity. And the pressure isn't likely to go away anytime soon.

SCRIMMAGE STATISTICS

Rushing Leaders: Tauren Poole 9 for 94 yards, TD; David Oku 14 for 23 yards; Toney Williams 7 for 12 yards.

Passing Leaders: Nick Stephens 3-of-9, 6 yards; Matt Simms 6-of-20, 83 yards, TD, int.; Tyler Bray 8-of-13, 69 yards, TD, int.

Receiving Leaders: Marsalis Teague 2 for 29 yards; Gerald Jones 2 for 16 yards; Matt Milton 2 for 11 yards; Zach Rogers 1 for 22 yards, TD; Kevin Cooper 1 for 18 yards; Ted Meline 1 for 14 yards, TD; Ben Lehning 1 for 12 yards; Todd Campbell 1 for 10 yards.

Tackles Leaders: Austin Johnson 8 tackles, 2 TFL (-6) + sack (-4), int.; Herman Lathers 7 tackles, TFL (-1) + sack (-5), QB hurry; Shane Reveiz 6 tackles; Jacques Smith 6 tackles; Willie Bohannon 6 tackles, 2 TFL (-5), QB hurry; Montori Hughes 5 tackles, TFL (-1), 2 PBU; Chris Walker 4 tackles, 2 sacks (-13), QB hurry; Janzen Jackson 2 tackles, int.

Offensive Starters: Tackles Dallas Thomas and Ja’Wuan James, guards JerQuari Schofield and Jarrod Shaw, center Victor Thomas, tight end Luke Stocker, wide receivers Denarius Moore and Gerald Jones; fullback Kevin Cooper, tailback Tauren Poole, quarterback Nick Stephens

Defensive Starters: Ends Chris Walker and Gerald Williams, tackles Montori Hughes and Marlon Walls; linebackers LaMarcus Thompson, Herman Lathers and Austin Johnson; cornerbacks Eric Gordon and Naz Oliver, safeties Janzen Jackson and Darren Myles Jr.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

jcherrie#219531 (Inactive) writes:

Ughhhhh! Bray may be starting by mid-year.

423tiger18 writes:

Can't wait for Orange and White Game...First?

vols2#227315 writes:

Put Tyler Bray in with the first team, let him get experience now; he is our next quarterback. We do not have the time to waste.

vol_in_bigten_land writes:

No offense to JC. But at least we want hear about our all world practice QB's that don't transfer to games.

99gator writes:

in response to FirstAndGoal:

it better.......especially against that offense.

GerryOP writes:

What is it, 5 or 6 days of practice and the QBs have a bad day? Yup, the sky is falling.

156 -- Fear the Dooley Dude...

Ironcity writes:

This is the first time since the 80's I am not drinking the koolaid. Its going to be a long season guys. When we get good again it will be all the more satisfying.

TommyJack writes:

Yeah, one scrimmage. Let's all panic.

UCFgradVOLatHEART writes:

I love spring practice. I get to read all the great posts from all the people that are in panic mode. Trust me I sometimes get a little unsure about what is going on on The Hill. The last couple of years have been tough on us all. I think we need to just stick together and cheer as loud as we ever had, and I am sure we will be back on top sooner than later.

vols2#227315 writes:

Why won't Doodley Squat give Tyler Bray a chance to compete with other quarbacks.

OrangePsyched writes:

Bray had the better day but as Simms said, it's a long way till the fall. May the best QB win. Manage the game and don't turn the ball over. We'll have some Meacham type receivers who can turn a short gain into a touchdown. Poole is separating himself it looks like. Good article with player stats.

REVOL writes:

I trust the coaches and I'm sure they are smarter than me, but, Tyler Bray was not mentioned in the article, yet he completed 62% of his passes and had 1 of the 2 passing tds. I say give him some reps with the ones, against the ones. The competition should be wide open for any and all. Go Vols!

vol_chaz writes:

Nice stats for Tyler Bray.. Could he pull an Erik Ainge? i hope so.

rockytopatl writes:

in response to ehawkins32#429287:

The problem with your logic on Nash is your "the arm must become a lot stronger." I worked with kid pitchers for years. If you don't have it, you don't get it. You can improve your accuracy, and yes, you can slightly improve your arm strength. But what I call "zip," how hard you can deliver the ball, doesn't increase appreciably unless you discover a major flaw in mechanics. And Nash's mechanics aren't bad. He will be a decent short yardage passer, but he will never have the pro-style out or the deadly deep ball. Bray and the others appear to have those throws.

BillsBrother writes:

It sure is a strange feeling to be looking forward to basketball season...

Cldvols1 writes:

Not making any assumptions, too long before season begins. However I do expect the team as a whole to improve over time, that's why they call it practice. Go Vols!!!

ThugTillIDie writes:

It's not just one scrimmage people are freaking out about. It's two mediocre seasons while our biggest rivals dominate. It's three coaches in three years. It's an entire new offensive line. We've got a freakin' defensive lineman playing center for crying out loud. It's the knowledge that Stephens isn't any good and we're going to have to start a true freshman behind the worst line in the SEC. It's the fact that we play argueably the toughest schedule in the country. It's knowing that we hired Buzz Peterson cuz he roomed with Jordan and now we've hired a football coach cuz his daddy coached Herschel Walker. It's the fact that we lost the best recruiter in college football at a time when Florida, Alabama, LSU, Auburn, and Georgia are cleaning up. It's knowing that our DL is undermanned, the LBs are small and unathletic, and our secondary took a HUGE hit losing it's two best players. We don't need a scrimmage to tell us that 5-7 will be one hell of a season and we're staring 4-8, 3-9 in the face.

OrangePsyched writes:

I just looked up in my Websters Dictionary Thesaurus the definition of fan. It says (slang)a devoted admirer. (abbrev. of fanatic) That's word for word. Point being I understand the troll's negativity and people always argue I'm just realistic and just because I don't drink the koolaid doesn't make me a non fan. Would anyone call Biggunzz and others that come on here and constantly spout negativity a fan by definition? I'm not saying that you don't criticize your team for playing a bad game or whatever, but to criticize day in and day out when we haven't even laced them up for one game..come on guys. If you're not a devoted ADMIRER and always criticizing all things orange then you're just a malcontent. QB's and team will do just fine. Now you can blast me.

tnalbundy writes:

in response to ThugTillIDie:

I agree that the Buzz Peterson hire was a big nightmare. I agree that the past couple of seasons haven't been the best either. Last year looked like a step in the right direction. I don't believe Stephens will be the QB answer either. But, I disagree with a few things as well. Our LBs might be small in general, but they are not un-athletic. Nick Reveiz for example. Or Savion Frazier. Both quality LBs. Tauren Poole will have a breakout year if the line holds up. That is a big question. Our secondary shouldn't drop that much. Jackson is still there.

Double D was a good hire I think. Look what he started at Louisiana Tech. Took them from a guaranteed victory to a legitimate threat to beat you. So what if his daddy is Vince Dooley. They always say that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Maybe that will hold true here. I am just happy that we are not splattered all over the front page with players being stupid off the field.

Bray needs to bulk up a little. The last that I heard he was up to 205 lbs. Nash was recruited to get Rogers. They say they didn't but, come on. It is pretty obvious.

One more point. I remember hearing us giving Bama down the road during the Dubose era and the infractions that followed for them. Now look at them. Georgia isn't really cleaning up. Look at them last season. They might bring the talent in but, how do they develop it. That is what got Fulmer canned. I think Urban is too focused on Tebow. He almost cried when someone picked on him. Auburn is always good but, they aren't consistent. LSU is always going to be good with "The Hat" down there. Give Double D a couple of years to get his system installed. At least he salvaged the recruiting this year. Could have been worse. Enough rambling. Sorry it is so long guys.

richvol writes:

Discouraging to hear of such a poor performance by Nick...a senior that should be clearly ahead of the others and not nervous. He should be way beyond being nervous and should easily separate himself from the others. No excuses,just do the job or step aside.

The lines on both sides of the ball may be thin but it's more about how much fight they have in them than anything and so far the reports are not bad and if anything encouraging. We must stay healthy this season and that requires some luck.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Yeah, one scrimmage. Let's all panic.

Stephens is what, on his 3rd corch.

TLepage writes:

we didn't the writer include Bray's stats... I wasn't at the scrimmage, but when you look at the stats, it appears as if bray had the best stats... Has he already been written-off by the coaching staff for this year???? I would think after today's showing it would be a three way race, but who knows (literally).... Great reporting KNS!!!!

gnm53108 writes:

in response to pdhuff#552644:

Stephens is what, on his 3rd corch.

3 different hc's,3 different oc's and 4 different offensive staffs.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to pdhuff#552644:

Stephens is what, on his 3rd corch.

Wow 421 am...You miss all those quaint middle of the night talks with sjt dont ya.

SEC1 writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

FIVE GUYS BURGERS AND FRIES... WOW VERY FUNNY!

gnm53108 writes:

in response to FreeTDTN:

If he follows it up with back2back sec championships...like 89 and 90...I could live with that.

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

How about this: leave the worry about this program to us and you worry about your coach that goes postal on a reporter because that reporter DARED report anything negative that someone said about his boy.

Carlitovol writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

I heard on the radio this morning that nearly all of Bray's attempts came against the second string D.. So you definitely can't read too much into any of his stats...

Stephens and Simms are the only 2 possible starters, unless some crazy injuries come up. Bray will be a red shirt, book it.

It's going to be extremely ugly on O this year, we just have to deal with it..

I'm reminded of the old marathon adage "Start slow and then slow down".. Well, for the upcoming UT Football season, the slogan should be "Keep your expectations low, and then lower them."

GBO!!!!

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to ThugTillIDie:

Where to begin? Three coaches in three years? Fulmer was fired for mediocrity and Lane left for his dream job but UT is still a relatively easy place to succeed. Defensive linemen switching to offense is no big deal - the other way around would be more concerning. Stephens stunk last year but so did Crompton the year before and Ainge his junior year as well. Give him time. And we don't know how the line will play - just because they are new starters in no way means they can't or won't play very well. Give me new starters with SEC size and speed over the Sullins brothers any day. The schedule stinks but that was made years ago. It is what it is - as Popeye says, you pays your money and you takes your chances. I prefer to see it as opportunity. We didn't hire Dooley because his dad was a great coach. If that were the case, Skip Holtz and two Bowdens were available and none of them even got a sniff. We hired Dooley because he's intelligent, southern, experienced, a good recruiter by reputation (we'll see on that one), squeaky clean and a gentleman. Kind of reminds you of what they said about Neyland. To infer that he got the job because his dad coached at Georgia is silly at best. The "best recruiter in college football" left us hanging and two of his three prized 5-stars, Brown and Richardson, are off the team and [the third] Janzen probably should be. And his mouth....His stay at Tennessee would have been fraught with such things. USC can have him and good luck with that. Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and LSU will always "clean up", nothing new. The only valid point you make is about our front seven. The D-line certainly has the talent but it is the SEC and the DT spot is not only thin, it's real young from an experience standpoint. I haven't liked our LB corps for years - they are too small and too slow. Nothing we can do about that this year except hide the deficiencies with scheme, but it needs to be a priority. Considering Dooley's Saban ties, I'll bet he's already working on that. Our secondary should be OK. Yeah, Berry is gone but Rogan is very replaceable and we do return several gifted athletes who have significant PT, including Janzen. We could win 6, maybe 7. It could certainly be worse but it could also be better - we've overachieved before, recently, and I prefer to think we can again. Not hatin' bro, just see things a little rosier. Not KoolAid rosy, just a little brighter than you do. Go Vols!!!

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

What's he gonna do? Yell at Dooley like a little girl and then throw an empty threat at him?
I can see it now: "Hold me back! Hold me back! (unknown person let's him go)"Wait a minute, I said hold me back, dammit!"

gnm53108 writes:

in response to asleep#212036:

6 maybe 7 wins.

Thats a good startin point.

Now we have 155 days(thanks Gerry) of koolaid drinkin to move that up a little.

Frost brewed of course.

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to FreeTDTN:

Could be but even so, Dooley's responsibility for it would be limited. He didn't recruit the pitiful 2006-2008 classes nor the class of 2009, who have lost two 5-stars, a 4-star, and a OL starter...so far. He didn't make the schedule. He didn't choose the circumstances of his sudden hiring or the sudden interest by USC in all our top recruits. He didn't bring Saban, Meyer, Richt, Spurrier, Petrino, or Miles into the conference, all of which make winning in the SEC much tougher than in 1988. He didn't initiate the contracts with Fulmer and Kiffin that have the athletic budget so strapped right now. He didn't ruffle the feathers of all our SEC brethren with years' worth of bulletin board material. This season may well be rough but until he has some control of the situation, he can't be faulted. If we are still having seasons like this 3 years down the road, well then....

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to gnm53108:

6 maybe 7 wins.

Thats a good startin point.

Now we have 155 days(thanks Gerry) of koolaid drinkin to move that up a little.

Frost brewed of course.

I wish I could say I won't drink it but I probably will. I mean, I have before and I just can't stay on the wagon. That's why they call us fans I guess. Go Vols!!!

Y10 writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

rockytopatl good post. You are correct that you either have it or you don't. But as you know, thru mechanics you can get more velocity on the ball. I watched Nash play probably 11 games this past season and arm strength wasn't his problem. His main problem was accuracy, which can also be improved with "tweaking" of the mechanics. Coach Chaney has alredady picked some things up on film that he can fix, so we'll see.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

This is Spring practice so it's all kind of tongue and cheek,,It's good to see Stephens so motivated and I think he will start ..Poole and Johnson are out the gate fast..Iam still wondering about Askew; you never see his name mentioned anywhere

gnm53108 writes:

in response to asleep#212036:

Fallin off the wagon is the best part.

It lets you know you've just about have had enough.

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

Not really.

If Pearl's 8-2 record against Eddie Munster is "irrelevant", then by your standards, so is Corch Urba Mya's 5-0 record against UT.

VolFaninDC writes:

in response to FreeTDTN:

I'm betting worst team since 1977.

I know, I'm not a fan unless I "support" Dooley. I'm not sure how exactly I do that but I do know he doesn't have any previous proof that he'll be a winner.

I didn't "support" hiring an AD after a national search simply because he happened to be in the office already, I didn't "support" the hiring of Randy Sanders or letting him stay on so long when cleary the offense was siking, I didn't "support" bringing back Cutcliff when he was cleary only needing a place-holder job, I didn't "support" hiring some Div I-AA no-name as OC, I didn't "support" hiring some guy that had only ever been fired as head coach, I didn't "support" an AD that has made the Tennessee job so apparently undesireable, and I didn't "support" the hiring of a guy that hasn't proven he can win at the major college level. I only prediced correctly each time that these hires were a mistake.

nocleats writes:

in response to orangeluvr:

Please, Its his first scrimmage in a new offense with an entirely new O Line and backfield. Remember getting them lined up correctly is the QBs job also.. Come on people, you cant expect our QBs to go 20 for 23 w/ 3 tds and 220 yds in that situation. Its going to be a hard learning curve, its supposed to be a HARD learning curve, Smooth seas do not do not make good sailers!

TommyJack writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

You have your own cubicle at KNS or is this a work from home enterprise?

gnm53108 writes:

Does anybody have any damn gator repellent?

NO_DIGGITY writes:

in response to imnotDC:

Hey Gomer,

I was able to find a picture of Coach Donovan taking a class for his new profession after 3 medicore seasons. His new boss looks like a Cool Dude.

Semper Fi

secsecsec writes:

It is the over reaction of fans to news like this that has caused coaches across the SEC to close their practices and scrimmages. Teams don't practice because they are great- they practice to become great. This was the first scrimmage- if the QBs had lit up the first team defense- then fans would be down on the defense. We don't need to be down on anyone, in my opinion- that would be like me scolding my son because he can't play a Beethoven piano sonata the first time he practices it. The team will do fine. The coaches have a plan and a process. It will come together- wins or losses or irrelevant- all that matters is that the team plays as well as they can possibly play. The wins will come, though, when they do that.

ArkyVol73 writes:

After reading the article, I'm now more worried about our defense more so than our offense. Normally defenses totally dominate the offenses early on in practices. I know this is one practice and I'm not freaking out. I told my friends last year that this year we would be in bad shape as a football team in the SEC. There were going to be to many loses on the offensive side of the ball. At work we do upcoming schedules and predictions every year and these Ark. guys always have us losing to our major rivals. They are right some and I am right more often because they are wishing instead of really seeing the talent. I have us being 2-6 going into the Memphis game, but I have us winning the rest of our games to end up at 6-6. We are going to struggle offensively this year without doubt. I know it's way early but our strong point this year I think is our defense and we gave up 2 touchdown passes and a 100yd rusher. Not a good way to start. I know it's way early and the sky is not falling but our defense should prevail right now. Vol fans we are going to struggle this year, and we would with any coach in the nation, pro or college.

kman29 writes:

in response to tnalbundy:

Your post almost came across as legit until you threw in there "LSU is always going to be good with "The Hat" down there. Anyone who considers Miles any sort of top flight coach loses credability. Miles is a freakin joke that lived his first couple seasons off of Saban's kids, then was dubbed a "genius" of a coach because they converted some 4th downs in 2007. Even his national championship you have to scratch your head on with them losing 2 games that year including to Kentucky. "The Hat" will be gone in the next two years at LSU, book it. The fans there are already starting to get restless with how the last two seasons have gone.

Ironcity writes:

in response to secsecsec:

I am not down on anyone but can anyone tell me who will make all SEC on this team? Will anyone even make 2nd team all SEC. We are terribly weak on the O line. We will likely have a below average QB, every starting linebacker is coming off of a major knee injury, our corners are suspect, and our kickers have proven through the last couple of years that they are average at best. If coach Dooley can turn this team into a winner he probably deserves coach of the year in the SEC. I hope he does, I hope we shock the world but I am not going to drink the koolaid.

kman29 writes:

in response to Mule_Days_King:

Not really.

Have to look at the two sports. college basketball regular season quite honestly is not as relevant. You can lose 6-7-8 games, heck even 10 games and still win the nationl title. You can be like the 2006 UF bball team and not even win the division and win the National title. In college football, you lose that one game within the division to a rival and you might be done for the year. So quite honestly, while its a nice stat for Vol fan in bball being 8-2 over UF in last 10, it is pretty irrelevant in the big scheme of things within the game. While 0-5 in football is very relevant.

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

You have an astute command of the obvious. What a step out to say that!
To me, the wins in basketball and football are equal. There's no such thing as a meaningless win in the SEC, regardless of whether it's football or basketball.

tnsportsman writes:

Sounds like Simms had a better day than reported here:

Chris Price on Scout.com
"And while Stephens may be struggling, juco transfer Matt Simms seems to be winning over his teammates with his presence in the huddle. Dooley said that Simms seems to have the intangibles for the quarterback position.

“Matt has a good personality for a quarterback,” Dooley said. “He is a confident guy, he has good command, has a good presence in the huddle, but at the end of the day you have to be able to execute, run the offense, move the ball, score points."

I agree with Coach Dooley and Simms, it's early but after next week's scrimmage is when shaping the positions with personnel begins.

And Poole with 94 yards on 9 carries and 1 TD, YEAH BABY!

IMO, Stephens has competed 3 times for 3 coaches to earn starting QB. I don't think it's in the cards for Stephens, we will see. IMO, it will be Simms, Bray, Stephens in that order with Nance redshirting.

GO VOLS!

rbhobbs73#226545 writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

yes I would and yes I would.

I would also trade our 3 college world series appearances of the last 15 years for one win over Alabama or Florida this year in football.

I really only care about 2 sports at UT....the ones you mentioned.

I respect Pat Summitt and think she is a great representative of our state and university. I smile when she wins a National Title, but I have never bought any gear with "Lady Vols" on them. In my 4 years on the hill I attended one Lady Vols game and that was because they played it immediately prior to the men's game with Kentucky and I got there early to get a good seat!