Jonathan Crompton's NFL draft stock rises

Former Vol is hailed as 'super sleeper' of NFL picks

Tennessee quarterback Jonathan Crompton (8) leads the Vols to a 31-16 victory over Vanderbilt on Saturday, Nov. 21, 2009 at Neyland Stadium. Photo by Joe Howell

Photo by Joe Howell

Jonathan Crompton was called a lot of things during his playing days at the University of Tennessee, some of them not so nice at times.

Now, one draft analyst is calling him the second-best quarterback available in the upcoming NFL Draft. More than a half-dozen teams, meanwhile, have lined up visits for Crompton after the NFL Combine snubbed him despite his impressive senior season. He's on a West Coast tour of teams this week.

But with names such as Oklahoma's Sam Bradford, Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen, Florida's Tim Tebow and Colt McCoy of Texas dominating the conversations among quarterbacks, how does Crompton measure up?

Continue reading at The Tennessean.

utallvol writes:

Good Luck JC. People don't realize what they got till it's gone. Hard to learn 4 different offense's in 4 years in a row. wish you the best. GO Vols..

utallvol writes:

Oh yea, 1st.

bearbull95#206250 writes:

Considering all that Crompton went through during his UT career, it would be fitting justice to see him starting on Sundays, with the announcers talking about this unknown kid who came from nowhere. We know where he came from. We saw him overcome adversity. We watched him develop in leaps and bounds last year. Let's hear it for late bloomers! Go get'em JC and show them why you were recruited so heavily to begin with!

BPaone (Inactive) writes:

""He's my super sleeper of the entire draft,'' said Russ Lande, a former Browns scout who's now an analyst for The Sporting News. "Jonathan Crompton is the No. 2 quarterback in the entire draft in my opinion. I have Bradford (at) one, then Crompton, and then Clausen. And I think Crompton's worthy of a first-round pick."

I wonder what he thought of Brady Quinn?

Volin68 writes:

THat's it!!!!!! All those omg bone head plays...he was ASLEEP! hahahaha!
Don't get wound up its just a joke.

Good Luck JC

TLepage writes:

good to hear this.... I even admit being too hard on JC.... i wish him the best of luck, and it was amazing to see him bounce back the way he did this year and silence all of the haters and doubters.... Best of luck young man....

volnsc writes:

I hope something good happens for JC in the draft. He deserves it. Given the opportunity, I am sure he will succeed. Could never understand why Cutcliff, the QB guru, never tried to develop him.

VolsFanSince2010 writes:

in response to BPaone:

I wonder what he thought of Brady Quinn?

Yeah any comments from a "talent scout" in the Browns organization should be ignored.

VolInIndy writes:

in response to VolsFanSince2010:

Yeah, all the scouts from those teams bringing him in to look at don't know jack either.

uwishuwereassmartasme (Inactive) writes:

JC had to learn more offensive systems at UT (4) than Peyton had to learn since he started playing high school ball (3- one in HS, one at UT, one for the Colts). Not that JC is another Manning, but does explain some of his struggles

TommyJack writes:

Sorry, but JC had plenty of opportunities to get "developed". This reporter obviously didn't go to the eaTmorChkn Bowl.

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

Whoa, folks, stay real. JC was no 'victim' at UT. He was hammered for not being able to hit basic pass patterns. Not hitting an open receiver is less a function of the offense and more a function of the man making the throw.

For him to be mentioned in this niffle discussion is pretty cool. It shows how much Jon grew last season. Much credit goes to Kiffin and Cheney (and Reaves), but most has to go to Jon himself.

kevin151 writes:

Anybody can be a scout I guess. Crapton the second best quarterback, really??? JC must be the best practice quarterback of all time from his days at UT to now. If you watch the games you see a guy that stinks!

nwcs writes:

Good luck JC! We're rooting for you!

cloudodust writes:

in response to volnsc:

Ainge was Cutcliffe's #1...After Cut came Clawson then Chaney. No continuity on offense during Crompton's tenure and too many people here fail to take into account the decimated WR'er ranks to begin 2009. Crompton, the WR'ers and Kiffin worked together to reduce the picks and up the TD's. Too bad it became a WIP during the season but I lay that part on WR injuries.

OwensboroVol writes:

I still remember seeing Jon warming up during his freshman year. I believe he was Redshirted that year. I ask my son (Proud to say a second generation UT Graduate) who is that? He was a little on the skinny side(most freshman are before the weight program) but I remember that ARM. I believe I would be correct in saying a 30.06 attached to his shoulder. It was clear that no other player had anywhere close to the arm strength he had. He threw it so easily and the ball just jumped out of his hand. That is the one thing that is God given. It cannot be coached and it cannot be earned in the weight room. You either have it or you don't. Those of you who seen some of my post's last fall know that I stuck with Jon because of his natural ability when things were not going so well. I believe this kid can be an incredible NFL quarterback much like Tom Brady if given a chance. One thing to remember. Peyton had 3 Offenses from high school until now. Jon had 3 in a couple of years. Jon isn't stupid, He earned his degree I believe, but when you have 3 very complex offensive systems thrown at you in a short period of time its difficult, and the quarterback must learn everyone's responsibility not just his.

FWBVol writes:

I'm pulling for Jonathan to do well in the NFL. All of you low lifes that keep calling him names, get over it, if he was to blame for all of the losses at Tennessee...which he wasn't, he won't lose any more games for us.

As others have said, he may not be Peyton, nobody is, but he went through more coaching changes and offenses than any quarterback Tennessee has had since we got rid of the single wing in the early 1960s.

I'd dare say that most of the people that are complaining about how well Crompton reads defenses have never played QB. You base your opinions on what seems to be the obvious when he threw an interception to a DB and there wasn't a WR in the area. Some of those were JC's fault, but others are on the shoulders of other guys.

Football is a team sport like none other. A QB is only as good as the guys around him, and the last few years we haven't had ths supporting staff around Crompton that guys like Andy Kelly, Heath Shuler, Peyton and Tee Martin had.

Good luck in the NFL, Jonathan, you deserve it.

I'd love to see him with the Saints. Of course what would really be neat would to see the Colts draft him so he could learn from Peyton.

eb502us#225637 writes:

Nobody ever denied Crompton had the physical tools and arm strength to make it in the NFL, however his struggles at UT were all mental in being able to understand an offense and read a defense.

As much as I'd like to see Crompton succeed, I don't think he has a high enough football IQ to make it. And the NFL is a much faster game.

BigBadVol writes:

in response to voodoovol:

You have to be kidding, right?

jone8191#247590 writes:

What is next? 50¢ gasoline and dogs sleeping with cats? I still haven't gotten over the UCLA game where he proved you can't play bad enough to get pulled at UT.

volsunited writes:

This guy is a former browns scout. Which means holmgren (a real football guy) fired him when he took over there. Wish Jc all the best but first round seems quite ridiculous at this point

KptDBVol writes:

A great kid and a great competitor! Committed early and never waivered. Went through more than any other player than I can remember during his time on the Hill. No headlines other than about football...

The best a kid can do is,"give his all for Tennessee today." I don't believe anybody can deny that JC did that. Sometimes it was good, sometimes it was tough to watch, but at all times, JC was and is..."all Vol"

Best of luck JC. I am a fan!

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

Having an Elway-arm is great, but you can win with a Kosar-arm, too.

Those two guys played some of the greatest football ever. The difference, though, was that Wlway was a SMART guy with all that athletic ability. Kosar was just smart.

tnsportsman writes:

Good Luck JC go get them! Anyone that endure as many offensives as you will be an asset in the NFL! Thanks for being a Volunteer!

GO VOLS!

tennrich1 writes:

I wish nothing but the best for JC...I am still ashamed of the way some UT fans treated Jon...Sure he struggled a lot....but he is one fine young man that deserved better....I hope he turns out to be a GREAT NFL player!!!!!

Orangeblood13 writes:

well they are many out there holding a clipboard, suppose he could to

kazoo writes:

I'm skeptical that Crompton will have much of an NFL career--but he should have been invited to the combine. Somebody dropped the ball there. There were two/three QBs at the combine that have no chance of playing in the NFL--not big or strong enuf. Crompton, physically, does have a chance. Not sure if he thinks fast enough for the pro game. Did he work out for scouts at UT's pro day? Did we have a pro day? If he did, his stock may indeed have risen, but if not I kind of doubt it. The workouts for scouts are crucial.

Ayres_Hall writes:

I believe that Jonathon is a UT graduate. And if he makes an NFL team, regardless if he ever plays a snap, he would still have accomplished more than 99.7% of the fanbase who like to redicule and mock him.

Cldvols1 writes:

Best of luck to ya JC. Go Vols!!!

CrankE writes:

in response to et_vol_fan:

At or near the end of the 2007 season though, KNS reported that Crompton was getting about 50% of the first team snaps according to the UT coaches.

pj_ladyvolnMI writes:

This is awesome...good for Jonathan! It sure would've been nice to see how he could have developed if he'd had the same opportunity as most college players, with the same OC for four years...or even just 2. He's a great guy and it would be fun to see a good outcome for him after all the poop he endured on and off the field the past 4 years.

BTW, please tell me that some of you who are quick to criticize these guys learned something useful this past year that will be carried over into how you treat the next group of students.

NTNSTY writes:

GL JC - We're rooting for ya!

crappieking writes:

in response to FWBVol:

Good luck in the NFL, Jonathan, you deserve it.

Good post FWBVOL. I hope he makes it and shuts these idiots up as well. If he does make it, he will be able to buy and sell half the people on this board three times over. Including me. Good luck Jonathan and GBO!

ellerbee123 writes:

YEAH!!!! You go guy!!! The phooey you had to take from some of the fans was awful.. You are sooooo deserving of this...

xpsyclonex2002 writes:

AM I TAKING CRAZY PILLS! Or did this guy just call Crompton the 2nd best available! OMG!

RoadTrip writes:

Nearly the biggest disappointment for a QB in Vol history. Maybe the pro coaches can turn the headlights off so the deer will run (perform). This is not meant to put down his character; he is a high quality person. However, if SEC defenses scared him and he couldn't read a secondary; wait until Julius Peppers gets a bead on him as he stands back there like a statue!

OrangePride writes:

Not sure about 1st round or "second best QB in the draft" status, BUT I do think this young man is a solid draft prospect somewhere. If he goes in the second or third round, he will have accomplished a very solid goal. Good luck JC!

SaneVolFan writes:

in response to always_vol:

I understand your point, but if a 20 year-old kid is getting death threats for making bad passes... he is a 'victim'. JC took his lumps like a man and is standing stronger on the other side of it all. Whether he ever plays a down in the NFL or not, I respect the kid, not only for his transformation on the field but also for the way he carried himself amidst the criticism. Good luck JC.

springtx_vol writes:

Who was the best passer in the SEC last year against SEC defenses? Maybe Mallet, but if so, Crompton was second. Crompton reads defenses better than Tebow, who never had to make progressive reads. He looked for his primary reciever; if he wasn't open, Tebow would run around until some broke wide open or just take off running (not a real slam against Tebow, maybe the most productive college player ever; even his team mates understand that about his). Snead had a horrible year; no one else was even close.

So, the evidence is that Crompton can have success against good fast defenses in the NFL as long as it is the right system.

Volunatic writes:

Good luck to you, Jonathan. It would be great to see you on an NFL roster next year.

KevDVol writes:

Crompton is not Ryan Leaf. No one will be fooled by his "upside" without a full awareness (and video evidence) of his downside. He will not be picked in the first round and nobody voted for him in the heisman race. Jon Crompton is not Kurt Warner - who actually went undrafted. But like Leaf, Crompton does have an "upside" that cannot be ignored. And unlike Warner, he will be given a much better initial chance to prove himself. Those are two extreme examples of how the NFL is somewhat of a crapshoot (especially when if comes to the QB position).

Good luck Crompton. You might actually be better than most of the other eligible draft day QB's. Go prove it...

VOLS_SEC_RULES writes:

in response to BPaone:

I wonder what he thought of Brady Quinn?

Now that was funny! Best wishes to JC.

spvol writes:

Betcha JC gets more snaps at QB than Teblow does.

RockyTop1_old writes:

in response to Orangeblood13:

well they are many out there holding a clipboard, suppose he could to

....and some can spell and some can't!! I wish JC well!! GO VOLS

givehim6 writes:

Wouldn't it be funny if Crompton went in the draft before Tebow, hahaha

Mobbdeep4life writes:

I will be rooting for him. He definitely has the arm strength and the size. I just hope he can get with a stable organization and not face the offensive coordinator carousel that has plagued players like Jason Campbell.

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

Something to remember...in the pros, he will be wired up, right??? that will help.

Jon also managed snap counts and audibles well.

You know, Casey was a heckuava college qb who could not make the pro throws. Jon, a marginal college QB, CAN make those throws.

If a pro team takes him, it will be because they think he is growing up.

You just don't know, he could turn into a Favre (and people can at least spell his name!)

bigorange61 writes:

The second quarterback picked in the 1979 NFL draft played for Morehead State. His stats were not all that impressive. However, somebody saw something in him to make him the 7th overall pick in the first round.

The fans booed the selection. Alot of people never heard of him. Said the guy would never make it. Good thing Phil Simms didn't listen to the naysayers.

Enough said.

rbhobbs73#226545 writes:

I hope that Jonathan Crompton makes the NFL and does great.

He is a Vol and I pull for them all.

If he starts one game in the NFL, I will be SHOCKED.

The kid is smart, as far as knowing football, reading defenses, etc...where he lacks is the quick twitch brain (like quick twitch muscles) that allows him to think clearly and quickly during the mass chaos of a football play. He doesn't have it.

He is like a guy who can hit the bullseye from 400 yards with a rifle all day on the training ground but pees his pants when the battle starts and bullets fly around him.

This is nothing against Crompton, he is a good kid but he just doesn't have it. I hope he proves me wrong.

jimbo37918 writes:

I thought Crompton was overrated but last year he played like a real quaterback at times so i wish him the best of luck.P.S. I don't see him going in the first round maybe second or third rounds