'Anxious' day for Vols' QB Matt Simms

Simms displeased with performance; Dooley agrees

Matt Simms was his worst critic.

And the Tennessee quarterback didn't get much argument from his coach.

By his own admission, the first day for Simms as the clear-cut favorite to win the starting job and take over the Vols offense also was his worst, turning in another rough outing during the second scrimmage of the spring at Neyland Stadium.

And though UT coach Derek Dooley was in agreement with the harsh reviews, the struggles aren't likely to change his depth chart - which might be out of necessity as much as anything after he lost the other top candidate for the gig on Thursday when Nick Stephens left the program.

"Of course, I haven't watched the film and I'm not quick to judge, but I would agree with Matt," Dooley said. "I think that was a good assessment of him. He looked a little anxious, wasn't as accurate as I know he wants to be, so we'll look at the film and see why and go to the next day.

"We don't make judgments on one practice, and he's been progressing very well for 10 practices, really shown improvement every practice, and he probably hit a little dip today. There won't be any stories, and I don't expect Matt to want to transfer on Monday."

Assuming Simms doesn't, he should head into the final week of spring practice as the de facto leader in the quarterback race.

The junior hasn't been great in either scrimmage according to statistics provided to the media by UT, and his 8-for-25, 110-yard effort with a touchdown and an interception on Saturday certainly wasn't enough by itself to help him win the job outright.

But with Stephens out of the picture and true freshman Tyler Bray probably not ready physically to compete in the SEC, it would likely take a lot worse for him to lose it.

"You know, this was our last real scrimmage," Simms said. "The Orange and White game (next Saturday) is a scrimmage, but it's more of a show, really. I wanted to do well today, wanted to finish strong, started slow but I'm just going to keep getting better.

"As it went on, I definitely feel like I finished strong. I'm just a little disappointed in myself for the way I started out. I just talked to (offensive coordinator Jim) Chaney about it, and I was telling him that I started off bad, and he was like, 'Did you? Because I already forgot about it.' And he was like, 'That's what you need to do, too.' I said, 'Yep, you're right.' That's just something I'll work on for the future."

The work-in-progress Vols collectively have lots of issues to work through right now, so another uneven scrimmage didn't send Dooley scrambling for answers or showing any signs of panic.

He's somewhat unsettled on special teams, needs to find more depth at defensive line, work out some kinks with penalties and substitution issues and find more consistency from the running game.

And, of course, UT needs to find an offensive line capable of protecting the quarterback, and it's still shuffling though four guys at center just trying to find somebody to get him the ball in the first place.

Throw in an injury to receiver Gerald Jones and the Vols had no trouble coming up with justifications for Simms' struggles, even if they'd obviously prefer not to need them.

"We didn't have Gerald Jones out there, and that hurts us because he's going to be a real steady, go-to guy," Dooley said. "That probably hurt Matt a little bit, but we did see some good things out of Denarius Moore and Luke Stocker. Luke made a couple of big plays, and we're going to need him to make a bunch of big plays, and Denarius has an ability to stretch the field.

"We had two long ones that we just missed on. The first play of the game he double-moves, and wide open we overshot him. It's those little things, you've got to take advantage of those opportunities."

Simms didn't do it with the spotlight focused almost entirely on him.

But barring another surprise, his worst day shouldn't be his last at the top of the UT depth chart.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

knox123456 writes:

Matt Simms is a inexperienced JUCO qb just like Derek Dooley in a inexperienced JUCO "coach". We'll be in the cellar for years.

vols2#227315 writes:

Like i said before, Tyler is the quarter, start giving him rep or come this fall you are going to see why he did not make it at Louisville. Really you do not have to be that smart to find that out.

Nuthinbutorange writes:

in response to knox123456:

Thanks for playing. Come back when you have something useful to post. BTW: Don't let the doorknob hit ya on the way out.

mountainbrook writes:

in response to imnotDC:

knox123456 writes:

in response to Nuthinbutorange:

Well you must agree with me being that you cant even come up with anything to say about Simms except "dont let the door hit you on the way out". Take off the orange colored glasses. And you'll see when the "playing" starts that Simms is AVERAGE at best. Along with the spectator called Dooley.

NoSirRee writes:

in response to knox123456:

Agreed, maybe someday we'll hire a legitimate coach

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

why do we not hear anything on Lamaison? Is he in spring practice?

Cldvols1 writes:

Haters keep on hatin! This is only April and we still have 5 and a half months till season. Plenty of time to get ready. I expect Simms to be ready to go out and give his all for UT. We finish no worse than 6-6 and make a bowl, book it! Go Big Orange!!!

knox123456 writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

I wouldn't make a tremendous mess making dinner and then turn it over to my 7 year old to clean up such as..... well you get the point. About my name ,which has nothing to do with football, leads me once again to think that you have no opinion or point to make. As for the "philkiffin crater" I think we will all be very pleased with last years season as compared to this upcoming season. At least Kiffin had talent and thats more than I can say for Dooley. His career record at LA-tech says enough. For Tennessee fans to think he can come here and perform miracles is grasping at straws.

tnsportsman writes:

LOL, Forfiet the season UT we are doomed! The sky is falling, help me, help me! OMG what the hell is going on at UT, ROFLMAO!

The Big Orange 8 or more wins this year! BOOK IT and Taking Bets!

This is when we separate the men from the boys! BIG ORANGE put the women and children to bed and let's go HUNTING DINNER!

GO VOLS!

NoSirRee writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

There's simply no comparison btw Dooley and Pearl. Pearl got the AD's attention by making a run with "mighty" UW-Milwaukee. One winning season at LA Tech does not equal Pearl's accomplishment at all, haha. Dooley wasn't even the AD's 4th choice. Your logic is flawed.

musicjl#606296 writes:

in response to knox123456:

For the record, Kiffin had less HC experience and a worse combined record as a HC coming into TN than Dooley. Not sure where you're getting that he had more talent..... OTher than how to tick off the SEC commish, other coaches, get the NCAA snooping around and committing secondary violations. Those are talents that he difintely has....

maciste54 writes:

I keep hearing Bray isn't ready physically. What the heck ? Is he a stick figure or anorexic or something ?

knox123456 writes:

in response to musicjl#606296:

Kiffin coached for the Oakland Raiders even Vince Lombardi would be lucky to win half of the games there. And lets not pretend that Dooleys record is MUCH better than Kiffin's record. As for the talent kiffin produced.... Kiffin got Tennesee in the public eye and finally had some passion. I don't know about you but seeing tennesee on espn was nice for a change. As also for the legacy issue with Dooley and Kiffin. Comparing the two is like apples and oranges. Kiffins father is still part of football coaching. Dooleys "talent" from his father, who has no current up-to-date role, is useless to Dooley. This is another point of the overrated view of Dooley you possess.

steamboatticket#484773 writes:

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

why do we not hear anything on Lamaison? Is he in spring practice?

Lamaison's JUCO numbers were impressive. Kiffin actually spoke well of him and of Stephens late last year, as if they were both finding the handle. Say what you want about Kiffin, but he did wonders with Crompton and was not one to bandy false praise.

1965Vol writes:

Looks like Coach Dooley has a sense of humor, a rather biting one! Took a shot at our departing senior QB and hit him right in the bullseye! Cool!

"There won't be any stories, and I don't expect Matt to want to transfer on Monday."

NoSirRee writes:

in response to steamboatticket#484773:

Kiffin did a great job with what he had last year. Anyone that can turn JC around in one season and have pro scouts looking at him (even if it is the Browns) is a fantastic coach.

TitanandVolfan4life writes:

Knox123456 & NoSirRee,

You 2, and those like you, seriously need to seek Psychiatric help first thing Monday.

We understand that you're a total failure in life, have no friends, no lady and no kids to hug you and tell you that they love you.

You're just pathetic, miserable and sad people that only come to message boards to attempt to make everyone else as pathetically miserable as you are but it's NOT going to work so seek the Psychiatric help you so obviously need.

Exactly NOBODY knows how well CDD & staff will do and another FACT is that they WILL be here for at least 4 or 5 years and you can NOT do anything about that either.

FACT is that Nick Satan would never have kept CDD on his staff at LSU and in the NFL if CDD wasn't a excellent football coach, recruiting coordinator and a smart, organised professional and then tried to talk CDD into going to AlaBubba to help him rebuild that program too.

You are NOT real Tennessee fans because real UT fans would NEVER come on every single day and bash and belittle the coaches, players and entire football program the way you miserable losers do.

I can't stand Nick Satan but I DO respect him as 1 of the best college football coaches in the country and I'll take his professional opinion of CDD over miserable losers and useless TROLLS like you any day !

GO BIG ORANGE !!!

steamboatticket#484773 writes:

in response to Plasticman:

Crittenden is a big bammer, taking time off from trashing Tennessee. But yes, Hurricane fans are taking some pride in their program these days despite their W/L record, and they are looking at UF as Florida's Thug U.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

We have no choice but to trust this new coaching staff. Whether you think it is the right decision or not. We have not had those one-on-one meetings individually with the players and are not there for every second of the weight-room/film study/warmups/drills/practices that the coaches are.

We must put faith in Dooley.

allntl1#565211 writes:

in response to knox123456:

Alabama won a national championship with an average QB.

SEC1 writes:

"BONES NEVER LIE"!!
WRITE IT BOWN!!!!

NoSirRee writes:

in response to TitanandVolfan4life:

Knox123456 & NoSirRee,

GO BIG ORANGE !!!

Sounds like someone got upset, haha. When will we get chapter 2?

wbsmd1 writes:

Any word on football season ticket sales?

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to knox123456:

Son, don't use the word 'we' in this context. You ain't a damn fan.

tnsportsman writes:

in response to Plasticman:

Plasticman,

That was a nice disagreement, thanks. IMO we are much better off than last year. Given the teams we are playing 8 wins will be obtianable! I believe and yeah I'm an optimist, it's part of being an old football player! CDD is building a no BS football team. I have seen this before where players RUCK UP and PRODUCE! I'm not saying Tennessee will win the SEC Championship YET, but we can beat 8 or 9 teams on our schedule!

Regardless, I will be at every ball game with all my ORANGE ON screaming until my lungs bleed! All I need is 106,999 more FANS with me!

GO VOLS!

tnsportsman writes:

in response to TitanandVolfan4life:

Knox123456 & NoSirRee,

GO BIG ORANGE !!!

Excellent Post! Thanks!

196SVol writes:

This is scary after Stephens just walked!

Raynoch writes:

in response to NoSirRee:

This is completely ridiculous that some of you people aren't going to give this guy a chance. He hasn't even coached a game, yet. Yes, we are probably going to stink this year and maybe for the next 2-3 years, but Dooley deserves our support. Throwing him to the dogs during his first ever spring practice under these circumstances is childish and just flat out stupid.

OrangeinCarolina2 writes:

in response to TitanandVolfan4life:

Knox123456 & NoSirRee,

GO BIG ORANGE !!!

Come on TandVfan-Tell us how you really feel. It's spring practice. It's a new offensive and defensive scheme. It's players not only learning these new schemes but competing for starting positions. We don't expect this year's team to be competing for a NC, but we certainly expect them to be competitive. Give 'em time to gel with Coach Dooley and with each other. This is Tennessee football. Get behind 'em or get out. Good luck CDD and players. GO VOLS!

volsoutwest writes:

in response to knox123456:

Some of us would just prefer to grasp at straws and view the the future in a positive way. Call me the eternal optimist if you wish but I just have a good feeling about this coaching staff. I like viewing life as the glass being half full. There is already enough negative stuff in the real world without casting a dark cloud upon one of the few pleasures left in this world, i.e. "football time in Tennessee."

volsoutwest writes:

in response to TitanandVolfan4life:

Knox123456 & NoSirRee,

GO BIG ORANGE !!!

What he said!

volunteer_cowboy writes:

in response to knox123456:

AMEN!!!! dooley will be fired in no more than 3 years....

DennisVols writes:

There are going to be struggles this year and it has less to do with who is coach or who is the starting QB as it does with the oblivious situation that both the prior coaches left.
There have been no star QB or offensive linemen signed in the past 3 years prior to Dooley. Without an experienced OL UT will struggle with both the run and pass. Simms may develop into a quality QB. How soon we forget that this time last year we were moaning about Crompton being the starter and he finished the season as one of the highest rated QB’s in the nation.
New coaches (3 in less than 3 yrs), new systems, player turnover caused by such uncertainty is bound to cause struggles. The world in not coming to an end and UT will still make it to a bowl game but if you are expecting a SEC or National Championship team come back in a couple of years. Vince had no HC experience, was young when he took over at GA and that turned out to be the best hire in GA history. Derek deserves the opportunity to prove he can bring UT back to what it should have been all along. The facts show he has little to work with his 1st year at too many key positions on both sides of the ball.
I would love to see UT win the SEC this year but I am a realist and understand what it is going to take for UT to get back in that fight.
Keeping it Real
Go Vols!!!

orangecountyvols writes:

Not so fast. John Adams, Hooker etc aren't privy to the practices..........so our board of experts, Nosirree and Knox123456 must be the new media personnel on the job. Obviously, you experts are at the practices and know everything that's going on.

Not only that, show us your crystal balls which you must be using to prophecy the future. Hilarious it is that a few trolls know so much about football.....
or at least think they do.

hikerdude writes:

What we don't know is whether Coach Dooley is a good coach. What we do know is that our offensive line, our defensive line and our quarterbacks are severely challenged. I doubt seriously that we will win five games in any of the next three years.

NorthwestVol writes:

Guys, I may have a bit of a different view point. I came west after high school. Got a degree from the University of Idaho. Married a fine lady who graduated from Washington State. Having watched those two programs I've seen way more than my share of bad football, and these Vols simply have too much talent to sink to the level many of you are crying about. I'm no good at predictions. Certainly, they will go into many games as underdogs and rightfully so. But I suspect they'll circle the wagons and show up anyway. May even take the field with the crazy idea that they can win and walk off knowing they gave it their best shot. May surprise some folks.

TommyJack writes:

in response to wbsmd1:

Any word on football season ticket sales?

Yes. The word is they will be plentiful.

rockytop_pop writes:

completely off the subject, but, I'm sitting here watching the 1997 Citrus bowl against Nortwestern.... WOW !!! the good ole days with Peerless Price, Joey Kent, Leonard little, Jay Graham...and of course Peyton...Lots of great players.. Looking forward to those days again real soon... Go Vols !!!!!

flatrock writes:

Note to nay-sayers:

Derek Dooley is more qualified to be our HC
than Doug Dickey, Bill Battle and Phil
Fulmer were at the times they took over.

In my humble opinion, we kept the best of
Kiffin's staff.

Let me repeat: I will take one Dooley
over 2 Kiffins for the long-term
good of the program.

Go Derek Dooley! Go Vols!

VolsToTheWall writes:

oh phooey. did he say he has to watch the film?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

SEC1 writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

or at least think they do.

o.k. our 06&08 "CRYSTAL BALLS" are in the throphy case in gainesville fl.

volpreacher writes:

AT SC= WIN

AT MEMPHIS= WIN

MISS= WIN

VANDY= WIN

KENTUCKY= SORRY, NOT HAPPENING

VOL24 writes:

Everyone needs to take a chill pill. Have we forgotten that the players are still division 1 players and with the right coach on the sidelines like we have now the sky is the limit.

OrangePsyched writes:

Tnsportsman...dude you and I are kindred spirits. I have been predicting 8 wins also. There is not a team on the schedule that we are not capable of beating. We have talent but not depth. We will beat teams in special teams play, in game schemes and in effort. It will be a pleasure to gloat with you on a lot of posts this season. Lace em up men and remember the maxims.

peyton4prez writes:

No QB, inexperienced up front (both sides) and a coach with a ways to go to fill the shoes we want him to. No chance we win nine games (Volpreacher), more likely bones is right.

beachvol1 writes:

in response to NorthwestVol:

That is the same way I feel....underdog roll ain't bad....that is the reason they play the game.....on a given day, you never know....all the negative posts, are armchair critics.....

alwaysVol writes:

its amazing how many people have so much free time to pretend they are vol fans. you would think they would have better things go do.

osbymartin#581730 writes:

in response to SEC1:

o.k. our 06&08 "CRYSTAL BALLS" are in the throphy case in gainesville fl.

Yeah they are owners of the 06 and 08 crystal ball. But they are also owners of the BIGGEST disappointment in college football. 20 returning starters, 2 deep at every position on defense, "all world" QB and NO national title or perfect season. Which, by the way, has alluded the Gators forever!! I mean heck a list of teams with a perfect season that include:
Yale, New Mexico St., Rutgers, San Diego St, Toledo, Tulane, Pacific, Princeton, San Francisco, Miami, OH, Bowling Green...
ALL national powerhouses...
half the SEC has had at least 1..Alabama, Tennessee, Auburn, Georgia, Arkansas and even VANDERBILT!! OUCH!

transplantiam writes:

I seem to remember back in '93-94 we had a qb that "missed a beat" and this tall, skinny, kinda thin kid came in and did a pretty good job for us for 4 yrs! What was his name? I wonder...
Maybe all is not lost, just maybe???
GO VOLS!!!