Adams, Hyams to serve as celebrity coaches for Orange and White game

Which celebrity head coach has the advantage in the Orange and White game?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Knoxville News Sentinel sports columist John Adams and Jimmy Hyams, sports director of WNML radio, will serve as celebrity head coaches for Saturday’s Orange and White game in Neyland Stadium, Tennessee football coach Derek Dooley said through a UT press release Sunday.

Adams has been a sports columnist at KNS for 23 years. He has earned this state’s “Best Sports Columnist” award each of the last nine years and has been covering SEC sports for the past 35 years.

Hyams is co-host of “Sports Talk” on WNML. He has covered UT sports since 1985, coming to Knoxville first as a sportswriter for the News Sentinel before moving to radio in 1998. Hyams also is a two-time Tennessee sportswriter and sportscaster of the year.

“There are many who believe John and Jimmy possess two of the top football minds in East Tennessee,” Dooley said with a smile. “I’m looking forward to watching how they can turn their knowledge into a winning result in Neyland Stadium.”

Dooley said a Wednesday night draft will determine rosters for the Orange and White teams. Seniors will be split 50-50 between the two squads and then take turns selecting teammates, coaches, support staff and administrators. Then on Thursday at Haslam Field, Adams and Hyams will meet their squads and help conduct the team’s final spring practice.

Kickoff for the Orange and White game is 2 p.m.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

HadMyPhil writes:

Just don't scare off anyone!!! We've lost enough this spring....

eduardo writes:

what about Basilio??????

GerryOP writes:

Should be a blast! See ya'all at Neyland on Saturday ... the good Lord willing and the creeks don't rise. If you see me say "Howdy!" I'll be wearing an orange and white Tennessee shirt!

Peace ya'all!

vol94 writes:

why in the h*!!.......

GreerVol22 writes:

How in the world do they expect to get both Adams and his ego into Neyland at the same time?

cc623 writes:

I bet Hyams(out of touch with this century)picks Berry,Douglas,and Nu'keese while Adams refuses to pick anybody since he is in no way a Vol fan...

Sarcasm intended...

tnsportsman writes:

Why in the world would Tennessee wants these 2 anywhere close to our team! CDD must be trying earn some media pionts, LOL! This is scary!

GO VOLS!

Drpippin writes:

April Fools day was on the first.

TommyJack writes:

Wonder if Hyams' team will wear black jerseys?

murrayvol writes:

And with this appointment goes a free pass for each to the 2011 Coaches Clinic and scrimmage.

RoadTrip writes:

This is a stroke of genius on CDD's part. OK boys, if this is so easy, have at it!

It's a no-lose deal for CDD - if they play poorly nobody will know since there were two goobers running the teams. If they play well everybody is happy anyway.

I am lookng forward to this!

CRFVols writes:

I hope they're just going to be standing there and not really doing anything. I see this as valuable time for our new coaching staff to get more reps.

bobbarbilly writes:

What's a celebrity?

cdonsbach writes:

in response to eduardo:

what about Basilio??????

Basilio sucks.

ZacharyUTK writes:

I hope their team gets demolished.

vol_chaz writes:

Hyams will choose LSU uni's, while Tuscaloosa John goes for Crimson and cream.

AtlantaTide writes:

in response to iamnotDCtoo:

Now that's funny!

spacificislander writes:

Is this a joke??? Are Hyams and Adams going to coach (call the plays) the orange and white game? This is how CDD is getting us fired up for a tough season with a weak roster especially for the SEC? Wow go Vols, I guess. Why would anybody want to go to the O&W game now?

Bigger_Al writes:

Tuscaloosa John is no celebrity. I liked charging him to get into the game better.

Melveen writes:

Gomer coaching the Orange. Goober coaching the White.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

(shakes head and goes to another article)

rockitwithrespect writes:

once again, proof knoxville has no celebrities

QB_10 (Inactive) writes:

Maybe John or Johnny can get Nick Stephens to come back...Matt Simms 0 for 11 in his first 11 passes- cant wait to see Attorney Dooley staging to make Simms look better then he really is, which folks is not that good...Tyler call Tigers docetor in jail, we need you kid..I guess Phil Simms is 2 for 2 getting jobs for his kids...May NuKeese can come back and run the offense since they all have some things in common.

keepitreal4vols writes:

Hyams-Really? Seriously His head just swelled up so big it won't fit inside Neyland Stadium now.
Adams said he is most excited about the locker room experience.

King_Scuba writes:

You guys are crazy...this is the best thing Dooley has done since signing day. I love it

MidTennVol writes:

One of the dumber and scarier ideas I've seen come out of this program in a long time. I thought the O&W game was supposed to be serious football.

And, Coach Dooley, how can you say something "with a smile" through a press release? Did it include a photo of you smiling when you said it?

Anybody old enough to remember how Lurch on The Munsters used to mumble-groan when he smelled trouble?

I did that after reading this article.

ric1958 writes:

in response to workinlikehek:

I think CDD knows they are boobs and that is why he is doing this....to show them they dont know SQUAT!

Muscle_Shoals_Vol writes:

Hey guys, calm down...... It's an honorary coach activity. Do you really think these guys can call plays? They don't even know the caliber of the talent on the field. Trust me, this is more publicity stunt than serious coaching..

99gator writes:

i know why this is done....because of the criticism of media access. so, let's name two media guys as honorary coaches for the spring game.

however, i can foresee an article from adams in the fall about certain plays working for dooley about as well as they did for adams in the spring.

not that adams or hyams are really going to be doing anything

wsmows writes:

They's a fox in the hen house, pull your britches up,sound the alarm!!!

volswithclass writes:

We have officially sold out to the media... Things must be bad.

Pitch26 writes:

You guys really are stupid if you believe that they're actually going to coach. Tennessee's best and brightest on the board today....

TommyJack writes:

I seem to recall this honorary thang being done here and elsewhere in the past. No big deal. And no coaching is attempted. Thankfully.

MiserableFloridaVol writes:

Celebrity has become a broad term these days. I may not watch any football this year.

TitanandVolfan4life writes:

If a couple of DT's accidently crushed both of them and they were carried off to the hospital I seriously doubt if anyone would care.

This is a absolutely brilliant PR move by CDD and I love it !

GO BIG ORANGE !!!

armyvol544 writes:

Who is going to start the "Fire John Adams and Jimmy Hyams" websites? lol

agentorange writes:

another long off season to endure

great_2B_Vol writes:

yawn...

pomp_and_circumstance writes:

Not so fast here! Has Johnny A. actually accepted this minor honor? The Emperor still has cards to play. There is precedent. Marlon Brando once scorned the Academy Awards and didn't appear to recieve his Oscar. Besides, what is two hours wearing an honorary coach badge compared with being named Tennessee Sports Writer of the year every year? Or as long as KNS sponsors the award and KNS staff make up all the voters.

abnermc writes:

Look out! More mattresses to burn.

NO_DIGGITY writes:

in response to rockitwithrespect:

once again, proof knoxville has no celebrities

Knoxville used to have lots of Celebrties. Too bad this guy couldn't be around to Coach.

givehim6 writes:

When I first read this I thought what the ****. But now I've had a min.to think about it I understand, with the closed practices now this, CDD is keeping his game plan a secret till fall. He will attack each foe with the element of surprise, very clever!

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Wonder what size brain bucket Adams will wear?

gnm53108 writes:

Seems like wasting a practice to me.

bkgunter writes:

"Guest" coach might be a more accurate term----how elastic is your definition of celebrity ?

hueypilot writes:

in response to gnm53108:

Seems like wasting a practice to me.

I think it's probably pretty darn clever. After mulling this over for 3-4 minutes, and after reading something as crazy as " I thought the spring game was serious football" it is, in fact, not serious fooball. The serious football work will be done in the practices leading up to and the practices during the week of next year's season.

Remember how the imbedded reporters changed their attitudes after living with the troops in the field? I'm not suggesting Hyams and Adams will henceforth become big defenders of the program with a "you have no idea how difficult this is" attitude, but it is bound to help with what has obviously been a strained relationship with the local media.

I give a big thumbs up to Dooley and suggest that nobody saw this coming. JMO

Halls3 writes:

So now UT's only chance to let its fans see what to expect next fall has become a joke. CDD doesn't get it. Football is a religion at UT & he is disgracing it with this idiocracy. Why waste the money to go see it b/c you won't see anything worth watching.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to hueypilot:

I give a big thumbs up to Dooley and suggest that nobody saw this coming. JMO

This is the closest thing we have to see how players are gonna react to gameday situations.

IMO...making adams involved in any way turns the whole thing into a joke...and I could care less if that relationship is strained.

That relationship needs to be abolished.

Orangeyouavol writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Peace ya'all!

yaaaa riiight, Ill be looking for ya, shouldnt be to hard to spot

Orangeyouavol writes:

Yawn, Burrrrrrrp, Wheres my beer?