Rosters determined for Orange and White Game

Tennessee’s seniors turned the Neyland-Thompson Sports Center into their own version of a “War Room” on Wednesday night, selecting the teams for Saturday’s Orange and White Game.

“The seniors were very well-prepared for their first draft,” coach Derek Dooley said of the one-hour session. “They had detailed scouting reports on every member of the team and created some calculated mismatches in their picks.

“Like the NFL draft, it will be interesting to see if some of the higher picks perform to their value.”

Selection order wasn’t revealed, but both sides were pleased with the outcome in anticipation of Saturday’s 2 p.m. kickoff from Neyland Stadium.

Wide receiver Gerald Jones joins tight end Luke Stocker, tailback David Oku and linebacker LaMarcus Thompson on the Orange roster, which will include quarterback Matt Simms. The White team features wide receiver Denarius Moore, defensive end Chris Walker and defensive tackles Marlon Walls and Montori Hughes, with Tyler Bray opening at quarterback.

In addition to drafting assistant coaches, strength and conditioning coaches, athletic training staff, football operations and academic support staff, Tennessee’s seniors also selected their respective celebrity head coaches and celebrity assistant coaches.

John Adams of the Knoxville News Sentinel and Dr. Bertin Louis of UT’s Africana Studies Department are leading the Orange team, while Jimmy Hyams of WNML Radio “The Sports Animal” and Jeremy Higdon of UT’s Mathematics Department will be guiding the White. The celebrity coaches are meeting their teams for Thursday’s final spring practice at Haslam Field.

Saturday’s game will feature four 10-minute quarters with regular game-clock rules. Teams must go to hurry-up mode inside 2:00 of each half, and quarterbacks are not live.

ORANGE TEAM

96 Chad Cunningham, P

Injured

25 Art Evans, DB

43 Savion Frazier, LB

99 Ben Martin, DE

CHITOWNVOL writes:

who the hell is Mike Fromke (QB)?

jcherrie#219531 (Inactive) writes:

Sure -- leave me off the roster.

CHITOWNVOL writes:

sorry, Matt, not Mike. Seems like we have a lot of walk ons on the roster. handful of names i don't recognize. was this game always only 10 minute quarters?

FWBVol writes:

in response to CHITOWNVOL:

It seems every coach has his own special ideas for the spring game.

If I remember correctly, one year Phillip Fulmer had the offense against the defense the entire game. The defense could score points for things like a sack, interception, tackle for loss, forced fumble....

This is the first time I recall Tennessee using this format for the game, but it seems as if it will work.

UTSmokey04 writes:

If I'm not mistaken, Fromke is a walk on who held some small school offers. He's 6'3, 200lbs. I think he was a two star recruit out of high school.

CHITOWNVOL writes:

in response to UTSmokey04:

thanks for the info. we'll see if he gets snaps.

i like this approach a whole lot better than offense vs defense. might get to see a few more players get on the field. i thought it was interesting that Poole wasn't listed as one of the notables....

UTSmokey04 writes:

in response to Navalorange:

Simms also has Todd Campbell at WR. Seems to have a host of TEs as well.

xRockyTopVolsx writes:

I love the idea to let the seniors draft the orange and white teams for the spring game. This will create even more competition and add some extra excitement to the game.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to Navalorange:

Hey NavalO.
Wanted very much to be at the O/W. But just got home last Friday from UC Davis Medical. They said no travel yet. Pee Pee! I had tickets for three, my grandson, myself and one for a sister back there. But I am glad to be back on the GoVols board. Was hoping to meet some of you guys this Saturday. Doing a lot of catching up on the team news, so I am a little confused about Nick and some of the other that have left. But I still think we win 7 mim. So hope to see you this fall.
The Old and Ancient

PopsinCapetownSA writes:

It may not have been fair to the young men but it sure would have be interesting to see the draft order for the teams because you can bet the boys now who the best players are, unless they were instructed to pick teams based on achivements other than total football skills. (i.e. rewarded for hard work during spring)

DannyVol writes:

I'm sure the debate about which 'celebrity' coach to pick was heated. I bet it went something like this: "we don't give a [phooey]."

I still contend that Adams should not be allowed on campus. The dude makes his living off UT and spits in our face every chance he gets.

punkin writes:

What the he!! is the Africana studies Dept.?

Couchdummy writes:

in response to TimGeezy:

Where is your concession, Mr Dewey?

TommyJack writes:

in response to punkin:

What the he!! is the Africana studies Dept.?

It's just like European Studies, only different.

99gator writes:

were the two professors named honorary coaches in case adams and hyams don't come up with the $50.00 necessary to attend the scrimmage?

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to 99gator:

Hyams and Adams claimed poverty and the two professors had to spot them the $50.

UTByrd writes:

I'm putting my money on Tyler Bray and the White team. Sure wish I could be there as it is my birthday on Saturday. Bad neck and back will keep me from it. I will be there in spirit.
Go VOLS!!!!!

BillyVol writes:

Score 118-117

tmartin writes:

in response to CHITOWNVOL:

who the hell is Mike Fromke (QB)?

you've seen him before, just under a different name. . . aka nick stephens, joey matthews, burney veazey, randy sanders, jim bob cooter, josh plemmons . . . .

Fulton_Vol writes:

in response to CHITOWNVOL:

who the hell is Mike Fromke (QB)?

Fromke is a local kid who was asked by UT to walk on. He added much needed depth last fall but since he is still listed a Freshman he may been redshirted last season. He played for CAK and had solid numbers for 2A QB on a team that has made the state playoffs the last several years.

Here is a link to Michael Fromke's senior stat from 2008 at CAK: http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/0-Lf...

VolsToTheWall writes:

in response to tmartin:

but most notably...stanley asumnu

VolsSoldier1986 writes:

What's the word on the kicker with the big leg Palardy? Is he enrolled or what? Did not see his name on the roster and was wondering if he is still a part of the team. Thanks,

ellunitiko writes:

in response to VolsSoldier1986:

Yes we need to know his deal- I don't think I could ever again physically live through what happened at Bama last year. I was there at the game praying in the aisle when we BLEW it twice, then had to deal with fukface yella hammer folk

gnm53108 writes:

in response to ellunitiko:

Haha

I would've been there with ya but I had to miss my first tn-al game since 94.

My little vol was born 3 days before.Couldn't leave the boss.

SickEmSmokey writes:

Palardy will graduate in June, he was not enrolled in the spring semester and is finishing out his last few weeks of High School.

easleychuck writes:

in response to TimGeezy:

Whoops...close but no cigar.

VOLFAN78 writes:

Looks like the spring will be pretty interesting this year. How both sides play well. GBO

Vol737 writes:

Seeing that Oregon is the second game of the season and our DC came from Boise State that allowed Oregon only 8 points last year, it will be interesting to see what he can do with the talent at Tennessee against Oregon. Can't wait to see the what kind of looks he gives our offense in the spring game.

bigorange61 writes:

in response to VolsSoldier1986:

He's finishing high school. Will be here this Fall.

tmartin writes:

in response to gnm53108:

Haha

I would've been there with ya but I had to miss my first tn-al game since 94.

My little vol was born 3 days before.Couldn't leave the boss.

that's no excuse

196SVol writes:

I am not sure how effective dead quarterbacks are going to perform.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to tmartin:

that's no excuse

Wasnt meant to be an excuse.....it was the reason.

tnsportsman writes:

I like this format of real game conditions and rules! The former HC and Coach Fulmer used earned points for defense vs offense. This way gives each team (or half teams, LOL) good practice in game type conditions!

Can't wait for Sat! We are practicing our tailgating and drinking too, lol!

GO VOLS!

NashvillePreds writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

Now, that's funny.

Go Preds... win a f-in playoff series!

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

Am I just not seeing it or is Michael Palardy not listed on either team??? I see Daniel Lincoln but not MP. I was hoping to see him in person and see if he IS all that.

kman29 writes:

Spring games are so much fluff now a days. I almost wish that schools from different conferences could get with each other and make the spring game a sort of preseason type of game. So instead of an intersquad game, the Vols say play against Texas or Oklahoma or whoever and schedule that team for 2 years so one year you play at their place, the next at yours. The games dont count for anything other than being a glamourous practice, but the kids get a chance to go against another colored jersey instead of the same kids they have practiced against all month. The only stipulation would be that you cant play someone you have scheduled for in the regular season. I think that would add some spice to spring football and give schools a chance to show big time matchups without having to worry about it counting as a loss. But Im sure the NCAA would find something wrong with it.

nicknack1 writes:

Palardy isn't enrolled yet. He said on facebook that he really wanted to play in this game but can't since he's still in high school

PEYDAY writes: