Dooley ‘disappointed’ as Darren Myles faces charges

Tennessee defensive backs Stephaun Raines (29) and Darren Myles Jr. (3) celebrate after Myles intercepted the ball from wide receiver Gerald Jones during the Orange and White game at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Apr. 17, 2010.

Photo by Adam Brimer

Darren Myles Jr.

Darren Myles Jr.

Tennessee has started its offseason on the wrong foot.

And it did it with the first step.

Just hours after the Vols wrapped up spring practice with the Orange and White Game on Saturday, one of the stars of the exhibition was picked up for misdemeanor charges for an incident on Sunday morning.

According to a release from the UT athletic department, the charges involve sophomore Darren Myles Jr., a safety who was among the best performers throughout new coach Derek Dooley’s first 15 practices.

The Knoxville Police Department did not respond to requests for comment from the News Sentinel.

“I am disappointed in Darren’s behavior,” Dooley said in the release. “We are conducting a thorough investigation to determine a proper course of action.

“We will continue to implement our structures to educate, discipline and support our student-athletes so that they represent the University of Tennessee with class and integrity.”

Dooley had a more positive take on Myles after the defensive back helped lead the White to a 16-7 win on Saturday afternoon, coming up with an athletic interception just before halftime that provided a reminder of how productive he’s been all spring.

The sophomore is expected to play a critical role for UT at the back of the defense along with Janzen Jackson, and the strong combination could make the secondary one of the strengths for the team.

“Our secondary came a long way this spring,” Myles said Saturday. “We had to adjust to new coaches and different schemes. Through all the adversity we stuck together and we got through it and motivated each other.

“We had a couple busts, but I think we did OK. We still have some work to do though.”

Heading into the offseason, that might now apply off the field as well.

CHITOWNVOL writes:

i was just telling my girl about how i was feeling really good about our secondary prospects for 2010. yipes.....

Gator_Hater (Inactive) writes:

Que the trolls in...5...4....3....2....1...

CHITOWNVOL writes:

dooley needs to put a leash on him this summer. he could be a starter if he keeps his head straight. sounds like he is JJ's boy as well. hopefully they don't drag each other down.

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

This came out earlier today on OTHER sites. Anyway, as far as I know from what else I've read, it was disorderly conduct and underage drinking. He'll serve a suspension and be back a few games into the season. With that said, bring on the trolls...

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

in response to Gator_Hater:

Que the trolls in...5...4....3....2....1...

You beat me to the punch... :) LOL

Gator_Hater (Inactive) writes:

in response to V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO:

You beat me to the punch... :) LOL

SEC1 will be here in a second...

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

in response to Gator_Hater:

SEC1 will be here in a second...

as will DC10point_0, kman29, and the other retards.

Also, since GVX always insists on posting other team information, here's something to hopefully take the light off of us a bit...

RaineyVol writes:

Why can't players just stay out of trouble... stop acting like thugs and play freakin football!

Cldvols1 writes:

Hope DM can learn from a misdemeanor and not turn it into a felony. Go Vols!!!

NoSirRee writes:

Its just a misdemeanor, big deal. Do you know how little you have to do to do get a misdemeanor?

Thad123 writes:

I am shocked a college student drinking and probably being loud about it.

BrRice16 writes:

Got caught in someone else's mess trying to leave Sobu in Bearden for the night. Was put in a police car in cuffs for asking why he was getting a ticket.

dvols writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

that kids a player! we need to get these guys, cmon jabriel say it aint so!!!!

516milesfromUT writes:

memphis_vol_fan writes:

in response to BrRice16:

Sounds just like the thing the KPD would do.

volzcrushm writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

Hey dingleberry, the guy went to alabama, not clemson. And, he is a very small back at 5'11'' and 165 lbs. Doesn't seem to pose a serious threat.

bugman (Inactive) writes:

thus begins the end of the dudester. mr troll is here. HI!!

GreerVol22 writes:

in response to 516milesfromUT:

tnaseevol writes:

A group of us went out to dinner after the game last night, and during the conversation about the game someone said they 'hoped some dumb@ss kid on the team wouldn't get arrested before the night was over'.....more than not thought it would happen! Some kids never learn - not even by the mistakes made by others - they still cannot keep themselves out of trouble.

Same to be said about the GA boy.

If the TN kid is guilty CDD should let the team know here and now that this kind of cr@p will not be tolerated.

Halls3 writes:

Wow what a thug combo in the secondary. Of course, he is one of Kiffin's boys so I can't say I'm all that surprised.

tennezz writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

Who cares?

hueypilot writes:

I'm not exactly sure that being disorderly as an underage drinker qualifies you fully for the title of thug. I wonder how many of the self righteous here ever did such a thing, or did such a thing and didn't get caught.

Orangeblood13 writes:

goto school, free education
keep nose clean
grades, girls, ball
excel in football because your gifted
make the grade, get paid

is it really that hard?

if it is, call Eric Berry, he has cliff notes

vols4ever93 writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

I live and play football in jackson i havent heard anything about bama being a major power for his services i had been hearing that georgia was in better standing with him. So the bama stuff is a little strange sounding

Gator_Hater (Inactive) writes:

in response to DukeDeLuca:

More than likely it was alcohol. Alcohol is a drug. Does that mean we should boot him for underage drinking? If you can show me an adult male in the U.S. who did NOT have a drink before they became legal age, and who's not Amish or Mormon, then I'll show you concrete evidence that Manbearpig is real.

Gator_Hater (Inactive) writes:

in response to tweetdriver63#346474:

Personally I think it's more like a Pigbearman. And everyone knows Santa IS real. You can't save Imagination Land unless you bring back Santa! Just like all the other imaginary people like Luke Skywalker, Popeye, Morpheus, the lion from those Narnia books, and Jesus.

jcherrie#219531 (Inactive) writes:

in response to Gator_Hater:

Que the trolls in...5...4....3....2....1...

That's "Queue the trolls in"

Though "Que" in Spanish means "what" as in QTF Myles?

Gator_Hater (Inactive) writes:

in response to jcherrie#219531:

That's "Queue the trolls in"

Though "Que" in Spanish means "what" as in QTF Myles?

At least I was close. Most people would've tried to use "cue".

cloudodust writes:

Probably a good thing to go ahead and get this stuff out of the way early. CDD can make a statement that echos off the hills and keep the team thinking the rest of the summer. If Myles gets tabbed with misdemeaner charges, he'll play but will need to be punished to some degree.

CapitolC writes:

in response to Gator_Hater:

At least I was close. Most people would've tried to use "cue".

Actually "cue" would be the better choice in this case; a signal to begin a scheduled activity event. "Queue" is a distinct, ordered line formed up to gain admission.

VOLinDAWGland writes:

I just don't get it. I went to college and partied hardy and never got arrested or cited. These boys can have some fun, but they need to keep it a bit lower profile.

He seems like a good kid so hopefully this is a learning lesson where he let things and himself get a bit out of hand and will make better decisions next time.

bigvol662004 writes:

Geez.....it's patently ridiculous that these guys can't seem to learn from the past or dwell even for a moment on the consequences of their actions....

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to NoSirRee:

I know what you can't do.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Glass houses, pile of rocks, young man full of pizz and vinegar, how could this possibly happen?

Never happened before in my young lifetime.

Take your medicine and lets get thru the doldrums.

Ennui....

gbrown2 writes:

I hope that he will learn from this and move on with his life. Please do not allow this incident to define him in any way. We live in such a judgmental society. As a whole, we have been detained/arrested because we DIDN'T GET CAUGHT!!! Just about ALL of us have broken the law in some shape form or fashion. Just consider yourselves lucky. That is for now.

springtx_vol writes:

in response to Gator_Hater:

I don't know who Manbearpig is, but you had better be finding that evidence. I am not Mormon, nor I am Amish (nor Mennonite). I grew up in what used to a rural podunk town just south of Nashville. I am 50 years old and not only did I not have a drink before I became legal age, I have never had an alcoholic drink in my life. That includes time as a college student from 1977 to 1982. It can be done.

easleychuck writes:

in response to DukeDeLuca:

Nice post....not. You feel need to bring drugs into the conversation based on what???.

From what has been written about Myles parents, anything Coach Dooley does short of dismissing the kid (which would be heavy-handed for something as stupid and immature as underage drinking and then making an arse of himself when confronted by his action) will be mild. I would not be surprised if he is afraid to head down I75 for home this summer. More than likely his folks have already been here to pay him a visit. Most likely the worst day of his life, deservedly so.

striker4545 writes:

Twas the Spring before The Vols worst season and all threw Gibbs Hall, not a creature was stiring, except for all the guys hammered at the Toga Party Down the street! Toga Toga TOGA!

golfballs03 writes:

misdemeanor charges. could be an underage or something. nothing serious

BarefootandCantgetpregnant writes:

There is always something younger and more talented on your footsteps. Bench his arse, when the pain exceeds the pleasure he'll do something different! - If he dosent his moment in the spotlight will soon be forgotten by the next. Dude its " suit up and show up" not " suit up and show out!"

Ironcity writes:

in response to hueypilot:

Huey no reason to argue with the guys here. You know most of them expect to be given Saint Hood as soon as they die. Additionally they expect all athletes to never commit a sin while on campus. Its comical that some on here sound shocked every time a teenager has a drink.

bugman (Inactive) writes:

in response to orangeluvr:

that's some pretty offensive language.

TommyJack writes:

in response to striker4545:

nice spelling, meathead.

striker4545 writes:

Yes I said "Threw" I just left the Toga, so what!

y2church#372759 writes:

in response to springtx_vol:

2nd that motion. I'm 37, never had a drink in my life. Not Mormon or Amish. Small town TN just like g_v. I am a Christian and have never had any use for alcohol. I know how to have a good time without it.

Church

KCHS63 writes:

in response to BrRice16:

So he is 21 years old? Then the KPD has a lawsuit on their hands. If not, then he wasn't "caught is SOMEONE ELSE'S mess." It was his own.

VolsFanInNC writes:

I say we tie him to a tackling dummy and have EB come back and tear him up... Maybe he can knock some sense into him???

DC_Vol writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

Well DC, I must say I am pleased you have taken the high road here. Good job! Agreed young kids away from home for the first time in their life make mistakes from time to time. Hopefully, he learns from his mistakes and matures into a fine young man. Time will tell.

govols2104 writes:

in response to hueypilot:

I agree completely! Disorderly probably means he was a little loud because he was drunk. big deal!

1Volunteer writes:

in response to Gator_Hater:

Whether you believe his claims or not, Jesus of Nazareth is a historical character, not fictional.