Dooley to set bar with discipline

Myles' record clean before incident

Darren Myles

Photo by Knox County Sheriff's office

Darren Myles

Darren Myles got the fresh start he wanted on the field.

Now the Tennessee safety may need something similar off it.

According to an incident report obtained by the News Sentinel on Monday, the rapidly developing sophomore and presumed starter for the Vols this fall was charged early Sunday morning with public intoxication, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest after being removed by bouncers from a club on Kingston Pike.

Just a few hours earlier Myles had been a factor in a 16-7 victory for the White team in the Orange and White Game to close out a productive spring, wrapping it up with a diving interception to validate the clean slate he was given by the new UT coaching staff. Now he may be looking for another, though no punishment for an incident that included riding on the hood of a vehicle and fighting with officers has been announced yet.

"I am disappointed in Darren's behavior," Vols coach Derek Dooley said in a release Sunday night. "We are conducting a thorough investigation to determine a proper course of action.

"We will continue to implement our structures to educate, discipline and support our student-athletes so that they represent the University of Tennessee with class and integrity."

It's the first such issue for Myles, who was generally praised for his attitude and work ethic throughout the spring. And it's also the first at UT for Dooley, who has stressed discipline and character development since taking the job in January.

Dooley had three players leave the program for various reasons since the start of spring practice, though none appear to have been for disciplinary issues. So his response and possible punishment for Myles will no doubt be closely monitored.

And for Myles, his status as effectively a first-time offender at UT and the fact that all charges are misdemeanors could work in his favor.

"I've got a clean slate," Myles said last month. "Coaches come in that don't know me, that's how I look at it. It's like a new coach so it's a new chance to prove myself. I'm not trying to be put into a different category.

"I just kind of felt like I did get messed over a little bit (by the old staff). But I kind of felt like it was my part, too. I mean, last year is over with. It was different coaches, and I'm here now and it's a new me."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

Better not set the bar at a 'bar'....

tnaseevol writes:

"Ihave a clean slate" said Myles. Not any more Mr Myles, not anymore.
You screwed up at 2:30 a.m. Sunday morning.
If you had gone home at 1 a.m. on that Sunday morning - you would probably still have a clean slate.
Good luck on your hearing, and I truly hope you have learned your lesson; and from now on out you represent yourself and your school admirably.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

Does this mean next time I go into my local bar there will be a bunch of serious looking guys talking discipline there.......

Cldvols1 writes:

Hope you've learned your lesson Myles! GBO

bugman (Inactive) writes:

blah blah 2 game suspension. move on

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons:

If so, you had better leave, you've had too much to drink.

mreed90 writes:

I'm thinking maybe a game suspension. This really isn't that big of a deal.

NoSirRee writes:

I honestly don't even see the big deal here. All schools have arrests for various reasons. He'll probably get a game suspension that way Dooley can say he is establishing "discipline", but really arrests are not a reflection on a coach. Its not like he's following them around and babysitting.

TommyJack writes:

One game, TN Martin, whoop. Carry on.

crimsonviper writes:

The kid needs to run steps till he pukes..Then forget about it and move on.

Voltallahassee writes:

The thing that bothers me most isn't what he was arrested for, it's the fact that he couldn't be bothered to think for a minute about everything this team has been through & how much this team really needs him....AND everyone else in a position to start. We really do need this guy, hopefully he'll come to his senses and realize that it benefits no one if he gets kicked off the team in the future. With all the guys over the last couple seasons who have transfered, been arrested or kicked off the team or graduated, we really need guys to understand that they can't settle for acting like a "typical" college student. His behavior isn't that far off from what you'd find other players at other schools doing, but as stated, we don't have the depth right now to lose guys to "typical" college student behavior. Hopefully a 1 game suspension and an ear full will be enough to get him straigtened out.

NoSirRee writes:

in response to Voltallahassee:

blah blah blah... get a hobby

Southland writes:

are you fellas really wanting to set the standard so low that we continue to have one foolish event after another. Bust this kid with something that means something to him and the rest of the team. Put your foot up so far his back side that it takes three years to get over it. To make him miss the game against UT Martin and thats it is to tell the entire team you are going to put up with arrests all the time. bust his rear end. I am not saying end his career but he needs the fear of God put into him. And since I know some of you dont know what that is then put the fear of losing his shot at the NFL cause it can sure be done easily in college. Hanging out at bars all night is a sure fired way to die young.

Voltallahassee writes:

in response to NoSirRee:

blah blah blah... get a hobby

A hobby huh?....you mean like trolling forums and bashing other posters? Congrats you have elevated your hobby to an art form.

Voltallahassee writes:

in response to Southland:

I really do agree with what you're saying but I could understand if Dooley tried to balance discipline with not hurting the team more than it already is. I'm not trying to excuse his actions but if a florida player can try to gouge an opposing player's eyes out and only suffer a self imposed 1 game suspension, I don't think Myles should have to sit for more than one game either. Any trouble after that and all bets are off.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

a new coach but the same old Myles. Two strikes now, should be 2-3 game suspension and zero tolerance. Next mistake, bye-bye.

notautfan writes:

in response to Plasticman:

Wow shocked to hear you comment on the running of steps. Weren't you one of the ones complaining when Raleigh did it for punishment? OH guess it is ok for football just not from baseball?

HtownVol writes:

Some kids will just never learn.

After all that UT has gone through, one bad apple still has to give the school another black eye.

I know all schools has them, but some kids T me off b/c they dont see what they have been given. Most kids dont even get to go to college, much less play for one of the top football programs ever.

He just could care less about what he has been given. I know that kids mess up, but when you have the chance to maybe go to the NFL one day you should not be in the situation for this to happen.

I wanted him to be a starter, but we will manage without him. I think no less than 3 games will be setting the tone and show that he wont be given 1-2 games just to be back for UF.

CDD, let the kids know that you are in charge and that UT will hold their players to a very high standard!

GO VOLS!

ChkrboardCoonHound (Inactive) writes:

What an idiot. As soon as he gets a little recognition, he's got to go out and show his rear. Nice job. However, the kid deserves a second chance. My money says he'll learn from this and become a responsible, yet humble young man. Good luck.

springtx_vol writes:

The thing that bothers me is the casual attitude our society has about drugs, alcohol, and late nights. Mix any two of those three together and you are asking for trouble. It makes no difference whether you are a student athlete, a student, a blue collar worker, or a white collar worker. A lot of people seem stho think that they have no responsibility for their actions.

In Myles case, I am more concerned about him being in a bar at 2:30 am than anything else. There is absolutely no good that can happen at that location at that time. We can debate all we want on whether 18 year olds should be able to drink (personally, even though I don't drink, I don't understand why you can vote at 18, die for your country at 18, but nary a drop of alcoholic beverage shall pass your lips). Why is ANYONE out on the town at 2:30 am?

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

I'd kind of rather he set the bar with ice-cold beer, hot burgers, and some onion rings.

Add in a couple of hot (Dave's last name), and it is a fine night to be alive.

shaymous writes:

in response to mreed90:

I'm thinking maybe a game suspension. This really isn't that big of a deal.

Not that big of a deal? Only a blatant disregard for the law and team rules...Yeah, no big deal...SHEESH!!!

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to shaymous:

Many of us show blatant disregard for some law or other.

gwaidley#279246 writes:

Derek Dooley has had 4 players leave since the beginning of Spring Practice, not 3. Everyone forgets about William Brimfield. With such a thin O-line, how could one forget?

jboyle5555#228112 writes:

Hey Darren !
News bulletin for you here... getting drunk in a bar as a college student, not a big problem.. riding on the hood of a car.. not a big problem...
Resisting arrest and fighting the cops... STUPID. You are an athelete at a big time football program, get a brain and cut your losses. You may be a great cover guy or safety, but obviously a moron. Get it together !

worldwideturd writes:

in response to NoSirRee:

blah blah blah... get a hobby

blan blah blah...you're a punk. Volahassee makes a good point. the guy should have had enough sense to get out of there peacefully when he was told to leave.

DaddyVol writes:

in response to bugman:

blah blah 2 game suspension. move on

Sin never was happiness.

not_guilty writes:

It sounds as if this young man was where he should not have been, perhaps consuming a beverage that he should not have consumed, and got mouthy with police officers. Poor judgment, to be sure, but resisting arrest and disorderly conduct charges are easy to allege and difficult to disprove. Police have a great deal of discretion about whether to make an arrest or not, and there are things that one can do to improve the chances of a better outcome.

When dealing with a police officer, attitude makes a hell of a difference. One of the best videos I have seen in dealing with police encounters is 10 Rules for Dealing with Police, narrated by legendary attorney and former judge Billy Murphy of Baltimore. The video is viewable at this link, beginning at about the 5:15 mark:

The video is somewhat lengthy, but well worth watching.

Police have a difficult and often dangerous job. An encounter with police is fraught with the potential for danger, for the officer and for the subject of police attention. The subject can ratchet the controversy up; he can also ratchet it down.

Stepchild_nFL writes:

With the atmosphere on this site, we'll never get another football player come to UT. He had a good day. A good spring. He celebrated. He made a mistake. We don't own these men. He is 19 years old. Education is not always in the classroom. Far from it. He was on ESPN. Drop it.

FWBVol writes:

in response to gwaidley#279246:

I don't think anyone can really blame CDD for any of the players that have left the program.

I'll go out on a limb and guess that had the former staff come to the same conclusion about Nick Stephens and taken away his snaps, he would have left any way. Aaron Douglas, from every indication, was a personal issue that had nothing to do with the football program and wouldn't have stayed with the team. Brimfield, in all likelihood leaves too no matter who the coach is.

The only one of the four that probably would still be with the team is Brown, and he's probably the guy that, because of the depth at RB, the team can best absorb.

jcalhoun writes:

Come on guys, let's be a little fair. I'm sure most people on this board, including me, have had nights where they had a few too many drinks and embarrassed themselves in public. I have plenty of nights I would like to forget, and unfortunately the alcohol allowed me to do that. I understand it is different when you are in college on full scholarship, but it is not worth a serious punishment. Maybe miss the Oregon game so he misses an important game, and it sends a message. I want to show that we are above Florida by showing we care about teaching our players discipline, class, and integrity instead of just using them to win games as Urban Meyer does. He is like the parent that spoils their kids so they never grow up, let's not be like that.

rocky_topper writes:

way to represent the university that you supposedly care about moron! i hope they boot your tail right on out of here.

volsfannsc writes:

I have attempted to research details about the arrest but can find any published. It seems everyone is calling for his head and there are no known details about the resistig arrest, etc. If an officer is in a heightend state of mind, the slightest wrong move can be considered resisting. Disorderly can come from just being mouthy, which after being man-handled by bouncers I could see happening. The flipside is that he could have been sloppy drunk and delivered a roundhouse to the arresting officer. My point is, who knows the details and is he guilty of all charges? Sure, he was in the wrong place at the wrong time- bad decision number one. As far as the intoxication goes, bad decision number two- but according to the CDC, most fifteen year olds have already consumed beer. Lets get the facts before we pass judgement and demand a three game suspension. If his alcohol level was through the roof, he hit an officer, additional units had to be called in- I'm in favor of seeing him off the team. If it was a simple case of he had a few beers, the officer was having an off-night (they are human too), he was mouthy, maybe the one game suspension is adequate. LETS GET THE FACTS!

VOLsince68 writes:

in response to gwaidley#279246:

Hey, isn't that the old actor that does the blood sugar testing commercials........."check it, and check it often".

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Anyway, maybe that's what we need to start doing with our player's after they've been out at night, except with a breathalizer.......

As bad as I hate it guys and girls, a precedent needs to be set here. I don't want to see him kicked off the team, but a hefty suspension should be in order. CDD has to show he's not playing.

GO VOLS!!!!!

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to Plasticman:

Right as usual..First offense on some typical college hi-jinks..He should receive the same punishment any other student would face

CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED writes:

Since this is CDD's first time to set the mark for discipline, I feel like he needs to go a good bit harsher or Myles, just to set an example that this kind of behaviour will not be tolerated. Sorry that Myles needs to be the guinea pig, but something has to be done.

I think sitting for 3 games plus extra work at practice should set the tone for our team. Just my opinion.

GerryOP writes:

Move along folks ... nothing to see here.

137 -- Fear The Dooley Dude...

cloudodust writes:

Let us be thankful he didn't body slam any females (UGA) or get into a 2 ton missle and drive drunk endangering the public (Florida) or offer up fake ID's while obstructing officers (UGA) or attempt to gouge out eyeballs (Florida). Opps. Eyeball gouger was sober. Nonetheless, CDD knew this day was coming. It was inevitable. Worst part of coaching from high school on up is having players that force your hand.

Fulton_Vol writes:

Coach Dooley, I hope you take a page out of Mark Richt's coaching manual and send this selfish player down the road. Yes, we need players but we don't need players who put the team or the school second to his stupidity. Let him spend a year playing at the JUCO level and land somewhere else in a year if he can. I am tired of seeing gifts of talent thrown away and gifts of a free education tossed aside like spoiled food being put in a trash bin. There are 18-22 year old US Military personnel dying in Iraq and Afghanistan so this immature child can play a game and attend college for free. Let them grow up and be real men or don't let Coach D's door hit them in the backside as he boots them out the door.

striker4545 writes:

I think what our program really needs to set things strait is to hire new head coach with no head coaching experience for Millions of Dollars.....Oh wait, never mind...

easleychuck writes:

in response to Fulton_Vol:

Someone always has to play the 'war' card. Your decision to do so but what Myles did was break the law by drinking when he was not supposed to be drinking, drank too much, got angry when he was called on it, and did not get driven the heck out of there once he crossed the line. What is going on in our military and the connection between the lives of brave and honorable military personnel and what Mr.Myles did is lost on me.

The visibility of him being a football player at a major university gets him headlines on a newspaper's sports page and mentioned on ESPN. I don't know the kid but it appears that this was not normal behavior for him. I would think that the entire body of work would be taken into account when his punishment by Coach Dooley is handed down. Would not think that it should warrant him getting as you put it 'booted out the door'. I would think that the level of embarassement that Myles is feeling over this is beyond belief. Coach Dooley is a smart man and will handle this in the best interest of the player and team.

Mark Richt has nothing to do with UT. He is the coach at Georgia and he has given out numerous 'second' chances over the years...some with good results and some with bad results.

OTPVol writes:

Darren needs to learn responsibility and accountability, not excuses. Best of luck to him and GO VOLS!!!!!!!

drone#208075 writes:

Could be like UF and suspend him for the first minute of each half in the UTM game.

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to Fulton_Vol:

See what YOU do not understand is 'relativism'. Myles knows nothing else than being talented. He is not some slow, fat, white guys with glasses frustrated by his inability to be 'cool' or or 'useful'. He leaves that to you, or many a blogger who always goes for the hardcore punishment angle.

Alcohol is part of college. Period. It impairs your judgment. Do you not know these tings by now?? Seriously???

College coaches have been dealing with this issue ever since there where college coaches. Universities deal with this constantly, throughout the student body.

Yes, these young people will learn to conform to be little robotic nothings like the rest of us. For this little bit of their lives, though, they are bullet-proof and rebellious.

Maybe, just maybe, YOU need to be 'kicked-out' for your failures in being able to deal with young people??

dbow10 writes:

I am a firm believer that everyone deserves a second chance, but not a third or fourth or fifth. If this is truly Myles first offense of any kind I would not be offended if he gets a slap on the wrist, but "warned" the next time he would be booted indefinitely from the team!

Theses young men are mentors and role models for our children to show them that being a well rounded athlete, student and a moral human being, life has so many great things to offer; and that people do make mistakes. The most important thing to learn is to not make them (mistakes) again! If this guy is as talented as he has been made out to be...he has a lot to lose if he does not straighten up and fly right!

I like how Coach Dooley is not jumping to any conclusions, he is investigating and making a sound disciplinary decision based on all the evidence......but I honestly think he will do what is right and best for The Vol's,Myles and the persona of what a Tennessee Athlete should be......on and off the field!

GOOD LUCK COACH DOOLEY!!

scvols writes:

in response to crimsonviper:

The kid needs to run steps till he pukes..Then forget about it and move on.

I would agree, but for fighting the police I think he should miss a game and pick up trash for a week.

tk6930#654373 writes:

If I were in Coach Dooley's shoes here's what's I would do:

There will be a suspension (1 or 2 games) to satisfy the torch carrying mob at the gates. This will drive the point home that his actions impact the team.

Then there will be some physical penalty (i.e. stadium stairs, sprints, or whatever evil exercise the conditioning staff can conjur) severe enough to get his attention.

Then there will be ongoing requirements to determine if this is a one time abberation or a pattern. Possibly a midnight curfew over the summer, party ban, random checks. I would expect from Dooley some sort of public service aspect also. Possibly school or hospital visits over the summer.

Last but not least, he'll be on a short lesh so any repeat will be dealt with much more harshly.

Taken in its entirety this is a severe punishment. However, its not so bad the the young man can't correct, overcome, and move on with his playing career.

Ayres_Hall writes:

in response to always_vol:

Many of us show blatant disregard for some law or other.

Thanks for the reminder.

The kid made a awful mistake and he'll either make it good or he will be sent packing.

BillyVol writes:

Miss 2 games, and have him set and watch the rest of the team have to run up and down the steps until they puke. They will take care of him later in the locker room.

striker4545 writes:

We will get to the bottom of this horrific American tragedy. This College Football Player was given a "Clean Slate", do you know how big a deal a clean slate is? Its not just a slate, but a Clean one! How sad a day is it when college student gets hammered at a club! Beer was spilled, cookies were tossed and hearts and hoods have been broken and all after a brillant 16-7 victory for the White team. I am sickened. We are conducting a thorough investigation to get to the bottom of this!~

I've got a clean slate, and even i know that is something that doesnt come along that often. Coaches come in that don't know me, that's how I look at it. It's like a new coach so it's a new chance to do what I like. I'm not trying to be put into a different category. I just kind of felt like I did get messed over a little bit (by the old staff). But I kind of felt like it was my part, too. I mean, last year is over with. It was different coaches, and I'm here now and it's a new me, even if i am at da club, bottle for a bub..So come give me a hug..