KPD: Vols’ Darren Myles was drunk, combative, removed from club

Darren Myles Jr.

Darren Myles Jr.

KNOXVILLE — Knoxville police this weekend arrested a combative and allegedly intoxicated University of Tennessee football player outside a West Knoxville club.

Just hours after the Vols wrapped up spring practice with the Orange and White Game on Saturday, one of the stars of the exhibition was picked up for misdemeanor charges for an incident on Sunday morning.

Darren Myles Jr., 19, who plays the safety position, was arrested about 2:29 a.m. by officers with the Knoxville Police Department, said police spokesman Darrell DeBusk.

Myles was charged with public intoxication, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. He was jailed in lieu of $1,500 bond. Because of telephone and computer problems this morning at the Knox County Detention Facility, it was unclear if Myles was still in jail.

DeBusk said bouncers at Sobu, 6213 Kingston Pike, removed Myles “due to being intoxicated and disorderly.” Myles, police said, continued to create a disturbance in the parking lot of the club.

“Officers observed Myles being drunk and disorderly and riding on the hood of a vehicle in the parking lot,” DeBusk said.

Although DeBusk said, “Myles resisted arrest and started fighting with the officers as they were attempting to take him into custody,” no officers were injured during the incident.

DeBusk said Myles “had a strong smell of alcohol on his person and was unsteady on his feet.”

Myles was not charged with underage consumption of alcohol. DeBusk said the incident will be reported to the KPD Inspections Unit, which oversees business compliance with laws concerning serving underage patrons.

According to a release from the UT athletic department, the charges involve sophomore who was among the best performers throughout new coach Derek Dooley’s first 15 practices.

“I am disappointed in Darren’s behavior,” Dooley said in the release. “We are conducting a thorough investigation to determine a proper course of action.

“We will continue to implement our structures to educate, discipline and support our student-athletes so that they represent the University of Tennessee with class and integrity.”

The sophomore is expected to play a critical role for UT at the back of the defense along with Janzen Jackson, and the strong combination could make the secondary one of the strengths for the team.

More details as they develop online and in Tuesday’s News Sentinel.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

BrassMonkey writes:

First. We are toast.

RockyToptoNeyland writes:

well, its a pretty major offense, from any way dooley looks at it, it could be a 1-12 game suspension

BrassMonkey writes:

I meant we are toasting each other with full drinks too much at "da club."

VolunteerPassion writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

OH!! Thats what we need! We need it to be LEGAL to drink at 18. So that way, there can be MORE fights, suspensions, arrests, drugs, DUI's etc etc... You sir, are an idiot...

matrosscbc writes:

Bye Myles

Rocky_Mountain_VOL writes:

Thank you, BrassMonkey for starting my Monday with a laugh.....after I cried

TommyJack writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

Legal drinking age and being in armed services has NOTHING to do with one another. A hollow argument.

SeanJean writes:

Give me a freaking break. Will this sh*t ever end?

matrosscbc writes:

I'm done with thugs

stinky_pinky writes:

he's 19 and went out had too much to drink. i don't condone his behavior but i know i was doing the same thing at that age. not sure if i'd classify him as a thug. he deserves some punishment but lets not overreact.

beef4davols writes:

in response to matrosscbc:

I'm done with thugs

Nothing in this article suggests that Myles is a thug...if it does then I guess I was thugging it up after the orange and white game myself, and trust me "thug" is not a word I would use to discribe myself.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to stinky_pinky:

I disagree that he did nothing the MAJORITY of college kids do. I partied with the best of them and did some stupid things like riding on the hood of a car,etc, but if I was ever asked to leave an establishment or ran into law enforcement I was always respectful(escpecially to law enforcement). I would say that the majority of college students do party , but the majority would not resist arrest or fight with police. This just shows his lack of respect for authority and lack of self control. If he is doing this kind of stuff this early in his career, more will come his way if he doesnt get some help now. I dont think kicking off the team is right, but he should be mandated to go to alcolhol/ anger management classes and if he messes up again, he should be gone. And 'THUG" is not the right word. Punk comes to mind when talking about a kid who doesnt respect authority.

TommyJack writes:

Public intoxication. Make him run steps. Lots of steps. Then move on. He ain't O.J. for cripes sake.

volguy#211935 writes:

Not what you want, but not the strangest event to ever happen... a college kid getting drunk and acting stupid. Not condoning it, but I seem to remember having one too many way back in the day at UTK, but I wasn't a star safety and, no, I didn't ride on the roof of a car, either. Make him run a bunch of stadium steps for two weeks straight in the heat of a Knoxvegas summer. That should run the alcohol right out of him.

richvol writes:

Let's have Al Wilson talk to him while he's in town. Out back in the alley would be a good start.

Ironcity writes:

in response to matrosscbc:

Bye Myles

Hi Myles see you in September!

Ironcity writes:

in response to orangeman1:

I did resist arrest I ran like @ell in any direction the police weren't. Darren needed to use that 4.4 speed and try to beat the taser like the UF players do!

oyamlauxes writes:

LETS ALL OVERREACT

10volunteers98 writes:

Real smart,Myles.Real smart.You moron!

DILLON writes:

in response to matrosscbc:

I'm done with thugs

THUG???????? Kid. Yes. Mistake. Yes. a carry over from the game, I would say so. Thug NO!! These are KIDS, and guess what kids do, they make mistakes like this. He didn't have a gun, he didn't have any drugs, he didn't try to "hold" someone up. he is a kid. What needs to happen is the KPD needs to look into how he was getting his drinks at this establishment and fine them. This kid dose deserve and will get punished, but any thing more than a 1Qt or at the most a Half is as far as it needs to go. this is kid not a "thug"

ImaGATORmyGirlfriendsaVOL writes:

This is Dooley's chance to set the tone for the program. He will either offer a very light or no punishment at all and let the team know that he's a softy, or he will lay the hammer and let the team know that this wont be tolerated. If I had to guess, since this is the first event, he will lay the hammer. Because he has to set the tone for the future

I say probably a 2 game suspension, and then he'll be available for the Florida Game...Thats my personal opinion

cwarden24 writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

tommyjack, i must say brother you are probably the most intelligent man on here. while i agree it is a hollow arguement...having served 17 years myself; i do agree a military member should be able to be with an "active duty" ID card.

Bottom line: this kid, and i mean kid "19" knows the law, broke it and then made it worse by his conduct with the cops. i feel dooley will set a precedent with him to send a message to the rest of the team...this will not be a dismissal.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

What?!!!
I agree 18 year olds are old enough to make decisions. Usually not mature enough tho'. If we change the age limit then change it so an 18 year old doesn't have to go to war...even as a volunteer (no pun intended). I believe in defending our country but only with non-teens.

finn writes:

in response to Ironcity:

Funny post, Ironcity. Unfortunately, based on his condition at time, 4.4 was probably closer to 4 minutes and 40 seconds! The kid screwed up, he'll get punished, and hopefully learn from his mistake and have a great career and life.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to beef4davols:

He is not a thug.He is just plain stupid.Alcohol and drugs makes one do stupid things.Better to just say no.Not just no but Hel no.

1965Vol writes:

in response to orangeman1:

"This just shows his lack of respect for authority and lack of self control."

Don't think so o-man1, kinda shows he had too much to drink. He messed up, but give the kid a break. Dooley will take care of it.

Ya'all are sure quick to be judgmental and start labeling these kids with not nice names. If the kid wasn't a football player, just a UT student, wouldn't have made the paper.

Clevername writes:

in response to VolunteerPassion:

You Sir ... are the IDIOT !!!

If an 18 year old is old enough to go fight YOUR battles and kill others or be killed, then he is certainly old enough to have a beer. And in case you haven't noticed age has little to do with getting drunk ... even old idiots like yourself are often arrested for public intoxication.

Good grief !!!

TommyJack writes:

in response to cwarden24:

Agree he should absolutely be punished. Not sure it would work with the military i.d.....What if you're discharged shy of your 21st. b.d.? Back to too young? Tough call. I'm just saying that the drinking age and being in the military are two different issues.

RammerJammer123 writes:

Most kids drink...most kids don't resist arrest. What can you expect from a kid kiffin brought in. He sounds like a thug and a moron.

1965Vol writes:

in response to richvol:

Big Al had a way of dealing with this kind of thing.

maddawg writes:

Well lets see what Dooley does with this. Hopefully more than Kiffin did with "armed robber lookout Janzen Jackson".

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to DILLON:

You may think he is a kid,but I bet you he thinks himself as an adult.Either way,the kid or whatever has enough knowledge of the world that would allow him to choose not to be involved in such stupid acts.

I agree with an earlier post.The club should be fined for selling or even allowing under aged people inside their club.

mercyseat writes:

in response to ImaGATORmyGirlfriendsaVOL:

hey I'm a gator...... I agree with you 100 percent. Dooley has to take control of this and nip it in the bud. 2 game suspension sounds about right. now.... go back to your gator site!

CincyOhVol writes:

in response to stinky_pinky:

He wants to drink, ok.

He wants to act like the idiot he is, ok.

But when you fight the police you just cost yourself a scholarship.

The cops should have kicked his arse and Dooley should do the same.

law_vol writes:

He is not a kid kid, he is 19 and an adult. Calling anyone with "teen" in their name a kid is what gives people license to do what they want and act like they should be treated like an 8 year old with their hand in the cookie jar. That being said, a college student having too much to drink does not merit dropping the hammer. As for "resisting arrest", we don't know why the bouncers really tossed him, and he probably felt he didn't do anything wrong to be embarassed like that, and then to top it off, patrolmen swoop down and try to arrest him. Until we know the whole story and exactly how things went down, I would hold off on judging him and calling him a thug, or calling for the hammer from CDD. Didn't involve anything illicit, just too much partying after a good showing this Spring.

NoEndToIt writes:

Hooray! Just had our orange and white game and we're already warming up to be the front-runners for this year's highly coveted Fulmer Award. I think that particular award is most of the reason we still consider Florida our "rivalry", because it certainly isn't the heat on the field justifying it as a rivalry anymore.

Oh well, young kid and a dumb mistake. These are more along the lines of the tresspasses you would anticipate a college athlete to make (read: not robbery). Its a serious offense, but I don't see this as reason to boot him out completely. Stout disciplinary action, a few games on the bench, and a close eye on his academics will do the guy more good than kicking him out of the program.

OrangePride writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

I used to agree wholeheartedly with your thoughts on the drinking age and your argument about military service, Biggunz. That was until NJ enacted that very law some years ago and I saw the catastrophic rise in drunk driving accidents and associated death rates. The issue was that my neighbor's kid, who was not drunk, or even drinking, was hit and killed by someone who was. Happens all the time, but when the drinking age is 18, the rate was nearly 40% higher. As far as the no guns or drugs part, I fully agree. This is a mindless drinking problem, but not nearly up to the kind of problem we had last Christmas or last fall. This will be a good opportunity for CDD to teach and get these young students in the picture regarding expectations and their public behavior.

jakethevolguy writes:

Sounds like he was just being a college kid. He did nothing that the majority of college kids do on a Saturday night after completing a major exam, paper, spring practice, etc. He was out celebrating. He could have done without the resisting arrest but, he was drunk. I think we have all done stupid things while we were drunk. This is nothing for everyone to get their Tebows in a wad about. There were no guns involved. This was not a felony. Like one poster said, let him run the steps a Neyland until he pukes his guts out and move on.

govols2104 writes:

I am shocked that anyone on here would dare jump to conclusions. Dooley will handle it. Did everyone forget the man was a lawyer? I'm sure he knows a thing or two.

spvol writes:

Ejected from the club by the same conscientious bouncers who checked the nineteen year old's ID?

UTbassdrummer writes:

in response to The_Four_Horsemen:

Did ANYBODY read this post? Or were you
too busy calling this guy (I guess because
he's black instead of a drunk kicker...?) a thug?

VOLFAN78 writes:

I would give him a two-three game suspension. Should be alright without him for that long.

UT37916 writes:

in response to govols2104:

How many lawyers does it take to change a light bulb?

Fifty four. Eight to argue, one to get a continuance, one to object, one to demur, two to research precedents, one to dictate a letter, one to stipulate, five to turn in their time cards, one to depose, one to write interrogatories, two to settle, one to order a secretary to change the bulb, and twenty-eight to bill for professional services.

bigorange61 writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

You cannot neccessarily drink on base underage. The following is from a Military FAQ site.

"Several years ago, Congress passed a law (USC 10, Section 2683), that mandates that military bases adopt the exact same drinking age as the state (or country) that the base is located in.

The legislation allows an installation commander to adopt a lower drinking age if the installation is within 50 miles of a state or country with a lower drinking age. In that case, the Installation Commander *MAY* adopt the drinking age of that state/country.

On Installations that are within 50 miles of a border with a lower drinking age, some Installation Commanders have elected to adopt the lower drinking age, while others have not."

bigorange61 writes:

Those of you who throw around the word "Thug" so easily need to educate yourself on the origin of the word. It does not apply here.

UTVOLS14 writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

actually that law has been changed and they are no longer to drink at all

balloonman writes:

Fools.....it's Fulmer's fault! :-)

orangeman1 writes:

in response to 1965Vol:

"This just shows his lack of respect for authority and lack of self control."

No judgment of labeling in post. When someone resists arrests and fights with police as the article states, how can it not be disrespect for authority and lack of self control. Regardless if he was drunk or sober, it is what it is. Alcohol is an excuse that doesnt work. People are held responsible all the time when they do stupid things drunk. Its no excuse. The drinking isnt the issue to me. Its the mindset that you dont have to listen to what anyone in authority tells you to do. Like the club that threw him out. Like the police that tried to arrest him and he resisted. Either he needs to quit drinking or learn to control himself when he does. This behavior should not be acceptable and Dooley needs to get him some help or he will be in the headlines again.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to The_Four_Horsemen:

Please give us all the details since you were there. How did the police handle it wrong? Would he not turn around to be handcuffed and continued asking what he did? Thats reason to be taken down for resisting right there. Please give all the details

cwarden24 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

I hope Darren learns from this as it appears Janzen has learned from his second chance.

That was why I said "Active Duty" ID card only. Guard and Reserves only get them when activated which covers their being on leave and such. Upon disacharge from active duty, you are required to surrender that ID and are issued a different one which wouldn't be honored. Only the white active duty CAC card w/ chip.