Fulmer-Dooley relations off to a gracious start

Phillip Fulmer isn't meddling, and he's got no plans to either.

If the new Tennessee coach needs anything from an old one, though, all Derek Dooley has to do is ask.

That in itself might not be a major development considering Fulmer's lifetime of work for the Vols and a passion for the program that hasn't died just because he's a year removed from leading it. But the fact Dooley seems genuinely interested in having Fulmer around might be a bit of a change from the guy sandwiched between the two of them at UT.

"(Dooley) did reach out, and he was very flattering in his compliments of what we had accomplished at Tennessee," Fulmer said Friday during his golf tournament for the Boys and Girls Clubs of the Tennessee Valley. "First thing, I'm a Tennessee guy. I want Tennessee to always do well, and I want us to do it with character and integrity, which we've always done, and to appreciate our traditions and our history. Appreciate what other coaches and players have done here prior to me, and what others will do after me or Derek or whoever. We didn't have that (with Lane Kiffin).

"I'm very appreciative of how Derek has tried to go about his business - and I'm not in his business now. He's just asked for advice and those kinds of things."

When he does, Fulmer is more than willing to provide some answers or be a resource for Dooley, and with his national championship ring and 151 wins at UT, there could hardly be a better one.

But while Fulmer certainly still believes he could get the job done himself with the Vols, he made it clear he's willing to get onboard with Dooley and help as much as possible - without stepping on Dooley's toes.

"It's interesting to understand or try to help Derek see the problems that he has and help him work through them," Fulmer said. "I think he does understand our traditions and our history at Tennessee, and also in the conference. I think he's a smart guy that's going to do the right things and try to put the program back to where we had it."

Based on the talent Dooley inherited, that may take some time.

Numbers across the roster are down for a variety of reasons, there's no real depth to speak of and UT is breaking in an entirely new offensive line and a different quarterback. But the cupboard isn't completely bare, and judging by the NFL draft this past weekend, Fulmer didn't leave it that way for Kiffin, either.

"The knock on the talent, we had four guys play in the Super Bowl, we had two first-rounders this year, looks like four or five guys are going to be drafted," Fulmer said after the first round of the draft. "I think it's just par for the course when somebody replaces somebody and they have maybe a holier-than-thou attitude of arrogance or whatever. Then that's just kind of normal.

"There are certainly good players at Tennessee, and it's a shame what we've gone through with losing as many guys from the program for whatever reason, counting the really good players that I had committed my last year."

Another coaching transition hasn't necessarily stopped the flow of players out of UT, which has lost four more since Dooley took over in January.

But with spring practice over and Dooley continuing to settle into the job before his first season with the Vols, things have begun to calm down at the moment. Business will surely pick up again soon, though, and if for some reason, any reason, Dooley needs Fulmer involved, all he's got to do is ask.

"I wish him nothing but great success, and I'll help him in any way that I can," Fulmer said. "He does understand his problems and his issues, some that are outside and some that are internal.

"He happens to play in the best league in all of college football, so that's a tough duty. But we all need to get behind him and support him every way that we can."

Fulmer is already in line to do it.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

riversetvol writes:

FWBVol writes:

I know there are a lot of you with your crystal balls that can say without a doubt that Phillip Fulmer would have never turned the program around, but I'm not one of them.

Yes, I was frustrated with the inconsistency, but I would have liked to have seen him have one more year.

I supported the last guy in the short time he was with us, but now that he's gone, I like others, can see that he didn't have UT's best interest in heart.

Phillip Fulmer, like every other head football coach in the SEC, ACC, Big 10 etc., without question has a bit of an ego, but that's part of what makes those guys good at what they do.

I have no problem with Fulmer pointing out the guys he indentified and recruited that will be playing on Sundays.

CDD contacted Fulmer and Fulmer extended a helping hand.

As a player, assistant coach and head coach, Phillip Fulmer is as much, if not more, a part of Tennessee football history than almost any other person associated with the actual on field operations (playing and coaching) of our team.

Whether you like him or not, Phillip Fulmer has earned a right to have an opinion about the program more than most of us, myself included, that post on this site.

KJVol writes:

It's great to see Fulmer's attitude toward and acceptance of Dooley. In hindsight, he's pretty much on par with his comments, and I was as ready to see him go as anyone.

You haters need to relax, life's too short.

smokeybitesback writes:

you Fulmer bashers are just sorry..that man was one of the men that got UT where it is today..the tradition,the winning,the character of our young men a lot of that is because of Fulmer..you people bashing fulmer need to go out west and sit on Lane Kiffins lap..anyone that would ever bash Coach Fulmer dont have any place on any Tennessee fan-site

voloffaith writes:

in response to riversetvol:

Classy comments........will the childish,immature name calling please GO AWAY!!! The current coach reached out to him not vice-versa. Get over your pet peeve about Coach Fulmer and show proper respect that is due. Yes change was needed,but why don't you show class you evidently feel Coach Fulmer didn't show? He isn't going away so accept it and support current staff. Skip future articles if he is in them. That actually goes for the poster after you as well. Ego was lightly shown in article,but do you expect the coach to say what you want to hear....I don't know anything and I ran the program into the ground. exactly that isn't what took place ,but the program was close to the trash heap from a respect position in the conference and nation. Tough ,but we will be back in 3-5 years to the respected position on our home turf. Thanks Coach Dooley for trying to heal some old wounds and put them in the 'past'.

TNParker writes:

in response to riversetvol:

Not much respect for a guy who won Tennessee's first National title in 47 years. All Fulmer did was say he would be there if Dooley needed him, and even said he didn't want to step on any toes. It's not like Fulmer wrote an article, someone interviewed him at a golf tournament and he was gracious enough and classy enough to answer some questions and still show his support for Tennessee after fans like you ran him off for a guy who went 7-6 and left after one year.

Huttdawg100 writes:

I'm glad Fulmer will be on good terms with Dooley. Fulmer has a wealth of knowledge and experience that can only help.

ONUV writes:

We don't need Fulmer's help. He's the one who got us into this mess.

22 schools changes coaches this offseason and Fulmer is still without a head coaching job. That says it all.

wbradfitch writes:

Coach Fulmer has and always will be a class act. Coach Dooley seems to be made from the same cloth. Unfortunately Coach Kiffin was not near the man that either of these two are.

BillsBrother writes:

in response to riversetvol:

This type of bashing is getting extremely old.

It would be good of you to follow your own advice, and just go away.

utclassof1992 writes:

It is funny to me how the fan perception of Phillip Fulmer and the fan perception of Elvis are so similar. I am in my early 40s, and to our parents generation, Elvis was the superstar of their day and had no comparison. To my generation that grew up in the 1970s, Elvis was the overweight, drug-addled, 40 something guy that was doing good to remember the lyrics during a live performance. Much the same with Fulmer. Those of us who were really into UT football in the early 90s remember the change as a harbinger of hope after so many close calls with the top under Majors, and how Majors sometimes seemed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. The younger generation who may have developed interest in the Vols in the last decade remember the overly conservative man that seemed to lose the fire that propelled him through the 1990s. What will happen is that both men will be eventually be remembered for their accomplishments, and that the name calling will pass with time.

beartn#223846 writes:

Fulmer will be in the Hall of Fame. I think we will find that winning 75% of the games in the SEC and a national title isn't as easy to do as some think it is.

I think he deserved one more year. Wherever Clawson has gone, the offense struggled in year 1 and scored 35+ in year 2. We also would have had Tajh Boyd as a possible QB starter this year.

My only beef is with Hamilton. He bumps Fulmer's buyout to $6million 6 months before he fired him, and only puts an $800,000 buyout on Kiffin. that's just bad business. Sure, USC would have paid a higher buyout, and I don't want a coach that obviously didn't want to be here. However, we could have used the proceeds from a bigger buyout to pay the next coach. Hamilton frittered away over $10 mil in botching consecutive buyout clauses.

charles57#1378642 writes:

Fullmer is a class act, a great football coach and a great leader of young men.
Can't say the same for you people who continually bad mouth him.
Let's hope coach Dooley has the same skills and class coach Fullmer has.

Mansonlamps writes:

Too bad a $6 million buyout can't erase bitterness, or for that matter amnesia.

"...I think he's a smart guy that's going to do the right things and try to put the program back to where we had it."

Where you had it was under .500 in two of your last four seasons and 1-7 against the big boys of the conference your last two years. Also, getting blown OUT on a regular basis. It was time for you to go. Admit it, move on, and enjoy your various mansions.

BAMF!

feathersax writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

+1 This shows the sort of man CDD is...& I'm liking it!

Vol13 writes:

Unbelievable how some of you are failing to see what a HORRID mess that Fulmer left this program in. When you see us getting trounced by upper crust teams for the next few years, just think about your hero Fulmer and how he let the Vols get in the crapper. If Fulmer loves UT as much as he claims, he'd forfeit that 6MM buyout and give back some of the money he stole his last 5 years while he was running things in the ground. He'd also shut his cake hole and move on. He's a broken record and we've all heard his sad song before.

captainkickass writes:

Good heavens, where to start?

"I think he's a smart guy that's going to do the right things and try to put the program back to where we had it."

Phil -- you mean 5-7? Or 29-20 over your last 4 years? No thanks!

"I think it's just par for the course when somebody replaces somebody and they have maybe a holier-than-thou attitude of arrogance or whatever. Then that's just kind of normal".

Holier-than-thou? Arrogance? You mean like having a desk in your office that sits up on a platform -- was that so all the little people would feel at home? Or how about calling in your marker by saying you have friends on the board when the heat was on?

Oh, you must be talking about the one who got charged with a felony for shooting someone in the face with a bb gun...

There is just no end to this ego-centric, narcissistic a-hole.

bigmikey writes:

Ut will shock the country and win the SEC east and play for the SEC championship!! Remember you heard it here first.Tyler Bray will be all SEC freshman of the year!!!

worldwideturd writes:

in response to Vol13:

Good Points - I always regretted Johnny for continuing to take digs at Fulmer. Sadly, Fulmer didn't learn a thing and has to stick the knife in the former coach? Why? He's gone. Just complement Dooley and be done with it. Fulmer accomplished much, and I will always credit and appreciate him for that, but the man was flat out delusional about the decline of the program - he didn't address problems, he glossed them over. The less I hear from him, the better.

SoddyVol writes:

Fulmer as Vols offensive guard 69-71 won 2 out of 3 against Alabama. 69 SEC Champs, 70 Sugar Bowl Champs, 71 Liberty bowl Champs with coach Bill Battle as coach. As coach produced the only BCS Championship The Vols have. Had a couple of bad years as coach. Why so much hatred?

worldwideturd writes:

in response to bankofdad3:

mercuryvol writes:

This is great news.CDD can close the ranks again and that will definitely help all aspects of the program.Like it or not, CPF is the cause of UT returning to the level that it should (and hopefully will) be. But,like most great men he didn't know when his time had passed (like it will for all of us)and that is when the program began to decline.As Clint Eastwood said,"A man has got to know his own limitations."

tnaseevol writes:

in response to allVolinGA:

I'm not quite as old as dirt, but near it. I also remember from the mid sixties, Dickey and all that followed. Each coach during their time had good games and bad games, some very good, some very bad.

BTW....I don't think of Elvis as an old fat druggie.....do you? I prefer to think of him in his comeback special, that was the best of him.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

This is HCDD's time and place in the sun.

Personally, I'm more interested in what HCDD can produce in the fall of the 2010 campaign than in joining hands and singing, Kumbayah, etc.

There is a time for all things.

VOLinAthensGA writes:

I remember at the Orange and White game a year ago, my son and I were sitting by an obnoxious VOL fan that kept running his mouth about Fulmer when he was be recognized at half time for a lifetime of achievement. He was boasting that we had, a "real coach now" in Kiffin and he was glad he wasn't watching Fulmer coach the scrimmage. All I could think is, "this man dedicated his career to Tennessee and we repay him by treating him like phooey." I understand the desire we had as fans for change, but to ridicule and degrade one of the most successful and loyal-if not THE most loyal-man in the history of UT Football is inexcuseable. Those of you who have done this should be ashamed of yourselves and question if you are truly a UT fan. You got what you deserved in January. There is plenty of room on the bandwagons at Florida and Alabama. Hop on, please!

GO BIG ORANGE! GO FULMER! GO DOOLEY!

chbradshaw writes:

Those last few years under Fulmer were pretty bad.

For whatever reasons, Fulmer did not bring in the quality or quantity of players he did ten years before. Because of this, we have been in coaching chaos for two years and are looking at losing records for the next three seasons.

Fulmer did get his chance to turn the mess around. They were the '06, '07 and '08 seasons. The '08 season was the most embarassing in UT history though the next few may rival it.

Unfortunately, the condition Fulmer left the program along with the coachng mess his failure created, will make it difficult for Dooley to turn things around fast enough for most fans.

Fulmer succeeded at first and accepted the glory. He failed the last 7 years and blamed everyone else.

He owes us an apology for his job performance and I prefer he stay away instead of trying to create a parade for himself.

jandjhome#228397 writes:

chbradshaw you are absolutely correct.

Salpointe writes:

in response to FWBVol:

CDD contacted Fulmer and Fulmer extended a helping hand.

You're right on man! If you love Tennessee football, you have to love those who only want Tennessee to prosper. Fulmer has proven time and time again that he is in that camp. He could have cussed UT and split. He didn't. He wants to help and you have to respect a person like that. He has given so much and wants to give so much more. I hope DD can find a place for him; if only as an adviser.

uwishuwereassmartasme (Inactive) writes:

in response to riversetvol:

I have a better idea, riversetvol - Why don't you crawl back under your rock. We don't need "fans" like you. Go cheer for someone else. You are official booted form the Vol Nation!

DannyVol writes:

No sense in bashing Fulmer. Here's the deal: if a coach goes undefeated and wins a national title - and wins 151 games in 16 years - he's always going to be a part of the program. That's the way it works, like it or not. Did I like everything he did? No. Do I wish he'd left before he did? Yes, like 4 years before. Does he deserve the respect of the fans? Absolutely he does. Some of you really need to stop being hateful about everything before it eats you alive...and understand what being a UT fan means; Tennessee is all about 'family.' Coach Fulmer is not only a integral part of our family, but he fostered that environment when he was the coach.

NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop writes:

"The knock on the talent, we had four guys play in the Super Bowl, we had two first-rounders this year, looks like four or five guys are going to be drafted," Fulmer said after the first round of the draft. Typical FOOLmore quote. Still refusing to accept responsibility for sinking the program. Hey Clapoppatamus...then who exactly is to blame for the Vanderbilt-esque talent on this roster??? Kiffin? Dooley? YOU ARE!!!! The delusion of this man is beyond compare. Take your 6 million buyout and leave forever...

jawbreaker writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

Fulmer and Majors = oil and water. If Dooley can get those two together again, that would be the ultimate PR coup. But, I'll believe it when I see it.

iowavol writes:

in response to riversetvol:

Classless comment. Seems to follow suit that you worship the last guy - he was classless as well.

TennesseeTuxedo writes:

Our football program is in the shape that it is because of Fulmer. The last thing that I want is for our football program to hijacked by that egotistical idiot once again. It is not a good thing for Dooley to tie himself too closely to the guy who killed UT football.

OrangeCrush writes:

Sorry folks love CPF or hate him, if he can help CDD and the Vols I'm on board 100%. Some of you folks need to get some therapy!

govols2104 writes:

in response to Vol13:

What YOU are fialing to see is that Fulmer didn't leave the program. He was pushed out. I hope the words '98 National championship and Eric Berry never leave your mouth because both were because of Fulmer.

jzt writes:

I am in no way a Kiffin suppporter, but Fulmer trying to take credit for the Vols recently drafted is a bit much. Yes he recruited Berry an his talent speaks for itself. Williams, Hardesty and Crompton had done next to nothing their first three years in the program. In my opinion none of that trio is drafted as high as they were if Fulmer had remained. Kiffin and his staff made huge improvements in Williams,Hardesty and Crompton's football careers like it or not.

arkyvol writes:

fulmer reminds me of a line from the 'dark knight', "you either die a hero or live long enough to become the villain".

phil should have retired ten years before he was fired. we would have been deluded, but we would have been dreaming of all those nat. championships he would have won if only....

GerryOP writes:

A really great man would have said "Thank you" and walked away quietly.

131 -- Fear The Dooley Dude...

JWilly writes:

So long as Phil stays away from the Vol FB program and does not meddle with it, I don't care what he does or does not do. Isn't he supposed to be coaching another top flight D1 program now? I thought that was his goal this time last year. Good luck with that.

twovols#669523 writes:

You people from the shallow end of the gene pool and short in the brain department as well are experts in one thing--showing your ignorance! Fulmer did good things for the program and was a great ambassador for Tennessee. What are your accomplishments--tobacco spitting ?

FearTheVols1252 writes:

in response to Vol13:

Yeah, 2 SEC titles and a national title… what a horrid mess!

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not singing his praises… it was definitely time for a change. However, the California kid did FAR more damage than Fulmer ever did. Recruits can handle a coaching change after the release a long tenured coach such as Fulmer. Leaving after 1 SEASON however makes the program appear unstable. If you want to blame anyone, blame Kiffin and/or Hamilton for the current mess.

And why would he be stupid enough to forfeit his buyout money… he got screwed over by the University and you think he’s just going to give the money back?!?! Are you that dumb?!?! In my mind, the biggest mistake Fulmer made was hiring Clawson… that was the nail in his coffin. However, like most have said, I would have given him at least one more season to turn things around. It couldn’t have been much worse than it was last year.

Like him or not, Fulmer was a part of UT football history. The story is merely highlighting the fact that Dooley embraces that history and is trying to forge a relationship with one of its members. I don’t see everyone getting their panties in a wad over Dooley establishing a relationship with Majors, so why are you pissing and moaning when he does with Fulmer?!?

Grow up!

striker4545 writes:

Who cares. A fired boss getting along with a newly hired boss?! What difference does it make. New leadership positions, and firings happen in jobs everywhere. It makes no difference. Phil had a great run for 10 years, and a sub performance the last half. He's gone and it makes no difference either way...

james#216392 writes:

in response to TennesseeTuxedo:

Fulmer was great for Tennessee Football. He won a national championship and built a strong team. He had some bad luck near the end that cost him his job. Icky's injury, a couple players failing to make the grades, some that got into trouble. He can't control a lot of that. He had tutors who tried; coaches who tried but it is up to the player. With the three or four players that couldn't play (whatever the reasons), the program went down but Fulmer had a top class coming it. He would have been just fine.

beef4davols writes:

I think UT NEEDS Fulmer to remain "in sight" with the program. I also feel that UT NEEDS Majors to remain close to the program as well. Both coaches took UT to the next level when they took over the program, Majors to the national scene and Fulmer to the top of the mountain. I do believe it was time for Fulmer to go (probably earlier than it happened), but there is no denying both were and are vital to our program...RETIRE #45!!!

TLepage writes:

i'm not hating on Phil, but I did find it funny that he kept saying he knows how to fix our current problems.... If that were true, then he wouldn't have gone 5-7 in two of his last four seasons.....

orangeman1 writes:

in response to jzt:

Well I dont think you know what you are talking about. Your opinion is total bull and speculation. I think if Fulmer was given another year after losing his Off co. he could have won 10 games last year with this talent, but we will never know so your speculation means no more than mine. You act like no player ever gets better as Juniors or Seniors. Fulmer has put lots of players in the NFL and didnt need cry baby Kiffin to help develop players he recruited. Give Fulmer credit where credit is due. He recruited them and coached them and now they are in the NFL. This team was loaded with talent and all Kiffin could do was lose 6 games, get blown out by Ole Miss and VT and didnt beat a top 25 team with all the talent FULMER left him. To summarize the article. Kiffin underachieved with the talent he was left with(or ran off). Fulmer thinks Dooley is a good man and coach. Fulmer is still a class act, and still wants to help the university he loves in any way he can. Fulmer accomplished more for UT than any coach in my lifetime and more than any coach probably ever will(hope not) so let your hatred of Fulmer go. It only makes you look like a fool.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to TLepage:

Oh , you must have forgot he went 10-4 with and SEC East title and 9-4 with wins over LSU, Ala, and Georgia his last 4 seasons too.
I tend to believe that with the talent Fulmer had coming in and the players Kiffin ran off, Fulmer would have had another 10 win season last year, but we will never know. Fulmer turned it around from 05 and he couldve done it again. IMO

spvol writes:

in response to captainkickass:

Good heavens, where to start?

Phil -- you mean 5-7? Or 29-20 over your last 4 years? No thanks!

There is just no end to this ego-centric, narcissistic a-hole.

No, I think he meant being back in National Championship contention. Fulmer is a Tennessee guy and wants only the best for HIS school...and MINE. You short-term memory types who are used to instant gratification will never appreciate loyalty.

pdowned writes:

Class act as usual, Coach Fulmer. He had no reason to be gracious to the spoiled brat that succeeded him, but obviously knows that Dooley is a different class of person than Kiffin. And, with what he did for UT football as both a player and coach, Fulmer has every right to express his opinions.