Slive pleased with hiring of Dooley

SEC commissioner doesn't expect Kiffin-like outbursts

This is a July 23, 2008 file photo showing SEC commissioner Mike Slive speaking to the media at the SEC football media days in Hoover, Ala. Slive has plenty of reason to smile leading up to the league's football media days.

Photo by Butch Dill, Associated Press

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Mike Slive isn't changing the rule.

The SEC commissioner also isn't planning on having to use it as much without Lane Kiffin around.

Slive's tolerance for criticism of officials or his ability to discipline offenders around the league won't change just because the former Tennessee coach and his one-year adversary is gone. And it's also safe to assume he wasn't exactly sad to see Kiffin leave after riling up opponents and the conference office during his short stint with the Vols.

"We'll have to see, (but) I don't anticipate anything like that happening again," Slive said Monday during the Associated Press Sports Editors' Southeast Regional meeting at Alabama Sports Hall of Fame. "I wish him well, I really do - as long as he's in California."

That puts Kiffin safely under another commissioner's jurisdiction, and Slive has already established what appears to be a more friendly relationship with Kiffin's replacement.

And while UT athletic director Mike Hamilton has repeatedly emphasized the better cultural fit new coach Derek Dooley provides within the program, the same also applies in a broader sense for Slive and the conference.

"It's been clear for a long time that Derek was going to be a very successful football coach," Slive said. "The fact that he was familiar with the SEC - it's in his DNA, so to speak - is, I think, helpful to him.

"So we were very pleased to see Mike Hamilton make that appointment. I was very pleased with the positive reception that he received from Tennessee and the fans. And obviously, like any new coach he has his work cut out for him. I think his appointment is good for Tennessee and good for the SEC."

Ultimately the scale for measuring Dooley's success will be different for each, with Slive not likely to be as concerned with on-field results as Hamilton.

The league office will surely judge Dooley more by his ability to follow the rules, which Kiffin had some early troubles doing with six secondary violations and a public accusation of cheating by Florida coach Urban Meyer before even coaching a game.

That didn't exactly enhance his popularity around the SEC, and it didn't improve when Kiffin threw around conspiracy theories about officiating after a controversial loss at Alabama, which prompted the league to give Slive the ability to hand out punishments for violations of the sportsmanship rule.

At this point, Dooley would be hard-pressed to have violate that rule. But so far, he's also managed to keep everything at UT safely between the lines.

"(The relationship) has been fine," Slive said. "As a matter of fact, I came up and sat down and had a nice visit with Coach Dooley and Mike and talked about the league and where we were, and we're looking forward to his coming to new coach's orientation and getting to know all the people in the office. So far it's been exactly what we've hoped it would be.

"I expect all of our coaches to follow our rules. All I care about is not breaking rules. It's not about individuals, it's about making sure that we follow the rules. That's all that was about from Day One."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

volsn3 writes:

I am sure he is....It took the heat out of the oven....Slive is a BAMA lover anyways.

Volunatic writes:

in response to volsn3:

Wasn't it the consensus on these boards last Spring that Slive worshipped urban meyer?

tnaseevol writes:

Slime..oops..Slive is for the team he thinks will be the SEC champ, so for awhile it looks like it could be Bama or Gator.

And always KY for basketball!!!

This is JMO, understand

AJeray4TN writes:

Who cares what Slive thinks. He's a crusty old man, with nothing better to do than to try to flex his crusty old man muscles, over a league that lost respect for him years ago.

stevefrommemphis writes:

I really don't care what Slive thinks about Tennessee's coaches.

Why shouldn't the SEC coaches complain when Alabama was not penalized for offensive holding in their last seven SEC games last year?

Slive said he would move the SEC Media Days out of Birmingham after the Bammer rednecks treated Fulmer so poorly - then after the heat died down, Slive forgot.

After the LSU v Alabama officiating debacle at Tuscaloosa, Slive said he was going to meet with the head of officials to make sure the SEC had the best officiating in the nation - then when the heat died down, Slive forgot.

Then a poster from Owensboro, KY posted on this site that Slive was on TV in Kentucky praising the Wildcats as the prominent basketball power in the SEC, totally ignoring Kentucky's history of corruption and discounting Florida's two national championships, UT's progress under Pearl, the great Alabama and LSU teams of the past, etc...

The league needs somebody like Kiffin to keep the heat on that jerk Slive.

The athletic directors at the nine or ten out-of-favor SEC schools are weak for not banding together and firing Slive.

sm1 writes:

Mr. Slive, don't you mean, "It's about making money--lots of money--that's all it's ever been about from day one. This is why we need as many SEC teams as possible in the national championship picture. So if you make it to 4-0, the SEC zebras under my direction will help you to continue winning, especially if you are playing another SEC team that already has one or two losses."?

No honest observer of last year's game between Arkansas and Florida can deny that some biased officiating occured in that game, securing a win for the Gators. Suspending these officials after the fact (a vain attempt by Slive to NOT appear corrupt) was like closing the barn door after the horse ran away--it did nothing to "right" the "wrong" that had already been committed against the Razorbacks.

Officials are human and sometimes they make mistakes. I have no problem with an occasional bad call. But tendentiousness on the part of officials should never be allowed or taken lightly.

And what about the umpire who tackled/blocked down the South Carolina running back in their game against LSU a few years ago?

Sorry for the accusations but something sure smells "fishy."

I want an SEC team in the hunt for a national championship as much as anybody. But I want it to always be 100% legitimate.

For the record, last year I think Alabama's NC was 100% legitimate.

I would not be able to say the same thing if Florida had won th NC last year.

Thad123 writes:

I am a supporter of this staff but offensive lineman recruit Trip Thurman made a trip from Delaware to the Spring game and he told them he was going to be there. The staff did not even talk to the kid and he was very pissed about it. They have been in contact since but it is just unbelievable that this would happen. Just a blunder.

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to stevefrommemphis:

I really don't care what Slive thinks about Tennessee's coaches.

The league needs somebody like Kiffin to keep the heat on that jerk Slive.

The one good, positive memory I will keep of Lane Kiffin is putting the spotlight on Slive, and exposing him for what he is...a front-runner.

Sure, I made comments about him favoring Florida and Alabama and all that last fall. I also made comments about him leaning Kentucky's way during the SEC tournament. And in all situations, one of the main issues had to do with poor officiating. Many of us agree on this topic, but as it has been noted, Slive forgot.

When Tennessee returns to prominence in football, good ole Mike will be there with his brown nose smack-dab in the picture, you can bet your @$$ on it. Because he's a front-runner, pure and simple. Having said that, I'm looking forward to the day when it happens. GBO!!

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

Agreed. Slive is a front-runner because that's where the moolah is...

And I'll add one more thing about pretty boy Kiffin--I honestly believe that if Kiffin wasn't here, then Jonathan Crompton never would have been drafted. That's the only other good thing I have to say about that jack-wad.

RespectTradition writes:

Awww, man! And just when I was thinking that we had made a good hire, Slive has to open his mouth and make me second-guess myself!

Go Vols!

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO:

Agreed. Slive is a front-runner because that's where the moolah is...

I can't argue with that. Great name, btw.

RockinTop writes:

I agree, who cares what Mike Slive thinks.

~Yawns~

claiborneh writes:

What's Slive supposed to say-"I think Tennessee at best made an average and speculative hire, I hope it works out ok for you all. Secondly as long as a coach wins nobody frets over what kind of "cultural fit he is." Fans would love Liberace as coach as long as he won. And third who really cares whether Slive is "pleased" or not.

richvol writes:

Slive would show support for Jack the Ripper if he didn't criticize the job that Slive was doing...or should I say not doing. Slive has not done anything to fix the horrendous officiating that plagues the SEC in football AND basketball. Additionally,it was worse this past year than I can recall in over fifty years of watching SEC sports. At times it was pathetic and biased.

Talk about a poor cultural fit...that would be a perfect description of Slive. A little lawyer that never played any sport. Can you imagine him in gym shorts?

RollTideJoe writes:

in response to stevefrommemphis:

I really don't care what Slive thinks about Tennessee's coaches.

The league needs somebody like Kiffin to keep the heat on that jerk Slive.

You are purely jealous. I'm sure having Kramer running the league with a wife from Maryville was just fine with you though, huh. Whiner !

CadmiumOchre (Inactive) writes:

in response to V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO:

Agreed. Slive is a front-runner because that's where the moolah is...

Well, I suppose even a cancer can bring out the best in some people. Whether it be charity, courage, or Crompton's development.

littlec195360#215853 writes:

Now it is time for Slive to clean up his act. The officials are Slive's direct responsibility and there are obviously very serious problems there. The school presidents should appoint a panel to review the officiating as well as Slive and give him a very limited time to clean it up. A non foul call in the NCAA cost us a chance to advance. The bad calls are not all day every day but only when it is a game decider.

bspurlingcac#225603 writes:

Slive's comment:"I wish him well, I really do - as long as he's in California."

That comment...Shows no class.

What he needs to be saying is we are going to do everything we can to upgrade the officiating in the SEC.

He gets a lot of credit for putting together great TV money deals. Just think about it...a trained monkey could sell the SEC! Go Vols!!!

QB_10 (Inactive) writes:

I saw this guy pictured above selling paint at Home Depot.
Regardign DD, he will need all the positive press, come the fall Players Win games and Coaches loose games- I predict 4-5 wins at best

HallowedHill writes:

The irony may be lost on some, but the rule that was whipped up to keep Kiffin in line was never used to punish him. Instead we saw Meyer get slapped with a fine. Kiffin may not have been smart, but he was smarter than Slive.

GO VOLS!

Bearwuzacheater writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

cloudodust writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

Right. Meyer also pony'ed up a few thousand for ruffling Slives feathers. Guess when Slive levied the fine on Urbie, he told him, "This hurts me more than it does you. Now shut up"...

budd#207344 writes:

in response to AJeray4TN:

You sir are 100% correct.

VOLinATL writes:

I figured that Mike Slive would be the second happiest person with the departure of Kiffin, besides myself.

kazoo writes:

Slive is an idiot--I do not like the guy.

feathersax writes:

in response to RockinTop:

I agree, who cares what Mike Slive thinks.

~Yawns~

Komrade Kaptain Saliva is such a loser, latching onto the apron strings of Meyer & Saban. Well, your SEC officiating is ludicrous & needs to be taken to task...& you need to be shown the back door of the SEC office.

77VolFS writes:

I think one thing that all objective SEC fans, if they're honest about it, can agree on is that SEC officiating has become unacceptable. There seems to be a noticeable slant to the teams that are in the hunt for a national championship. Both football and basketball. Arkansas at Florida in football was bad enough, but then Kentucky at Miss. State in basketball was unbelievable - on MSU's court no less. Slive seems more interested in shooting the messenger and worshipping at the altar of TV's megamillions than in doing the right thing.

BigBadVol writes:

Does Slive really think we believe him? LMFAO

SEAL_9821 writes:

I for one have little respect for the way Kiffin departed us. But, it does'nt change how I feel about him as a coach. I liked what he was doing at Tennessee. He done if for a reason! Those of you who think otherwise...just look at the news and you havn't seen Kiffin in it at USC. We all have our feelings about Kiffin, but I will go to my grave saying he is one college football's best coach's. Given the time if he would've stayed at Tennessee, he would've gotten us back to the top. However, he's gone and i'm all DOOLEY. Things happen for a reason and Tennessee will be better in the long run. As far as Slive...well, I have no respect for him. He is a front runner like most of you said on here. I lost my respect for him last year when he decided to lash out against the coach's instead of the refs.

Pullingguard writes:

in response to tnaseevol:

And always KY for basketball!!!

This is JMO, understand

Slive butterfly's between the two...

Vol86 writes:

Slime should learn how to wear glasses and keep his trap shut. I do not see his importance.

Blonde_Stranger writes:

in response to SEAL_9821:

You think a man with a career losing record as a head coach is "one of college football's best coach's"? Dude, step away from the crack pipe! Let me guess: you think Jimmy Carter was one of the greatest Presidents in U.S. history, and John Delorean is the greatest corporate executives of all time.

If you truly believe that Lane hasn't been in the news since heading to USC, then you must not be paying much attention to news regarding college football beyond UT. I've seen/heard plenty of news regarding Lane at USC and their (potentially) looming problems with the NCAA. Heck, he was just on ESPN Radio last week for a 15 or 20 minute interview.

Thanks for commenting, though, as it is mildly entertaining to read such opinions.

TommyJack writes:

Nice, informative article.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

The jury remains out on Dooley, a great guy, but 3 years from now there better be wins and competing for SEC-E going on.

Just saying.....

roanecovol writes:

With Slive's obvious bias for frontrunners and the rest of the SEC office being staunch Alabama fans, the Presidents of the other also ran SEC schools should demand his resignation and move the SEC office to Atlanta. Enough Already|||

mountainbrook writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

And lots of player arrests. You are very welcome.

DaddyVol writes:

in response to Thad123:

Thanks Trip (ur um I mean Thad) for letting us know about you.

abnermc writes:

in response to richvol:

My sentiments exactly.Well said.

NashvillePreds writes:

Beware DD. Slive liking you is strike #1.

Vol_Doc writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

Why say "you're welcome," when you obviously had nothing to do with what you stated? It's funny how some fans feel they are somehow responsible for how their favorite teams perform. You're just another fan. You're an observer--not part of the team. You have absolutely no bearing on UF's performance.

Lizardgrad89 writes:

I don't care who you are or what team you root for, if you believe SEC officiating is corrupt and that the SEC offices need to move out of Bama, you have my 100% support.

Hating Slive is ok too, but I believe he is just a figurehead. I don't think getting rid of Slive would change one thing.

tnsportsman writes:

To hell with Slime (Slive)! He is an Ivy League Grad and east coast liberial lawyer that never played a down in football or any sport for that matter. Why does the SEC hire commissioners like Slime and Kramer from vaaaanderbilt?

The SEC is the Big Boy League and we have and had little boy league commissioners!

Oh, and you can thank Kramer for the parity in the NCAA! he wrote the book and rules on it for the NCAA, because precious vaaaanderbilt couldn't win in the SEC with UT, AL and GA spending so much money in their Athletic Departments and giving out so many scholarships back in the 'Good Ole Days' WEENIES!

ALL the former Hall of Fame Coaches tried to warn us years ago when they formed the CFA!

GO VOLS!

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to QB_10:

I saw this guy pictured above selling paint at Home Depot.

Wonder how you "loose" a game??????

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

Hey DC, this is from the article you posted....
" Like Meyer’s outburst at a reporter earlier this spring, this kind of national attention is the stuff recruits eat up."

You guys made fun of LK last year for stuff like this.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

God bless you pl3. (Ask him when he jumped on)..

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

Well Farragut ( less )

Is Alabama's goal to try and score at least ONE touchdown against Tennessee this year????????

Without the big slob in the middle in 2010, it'll be interesting when Palardy lines up for a field goal, not that we'll need it.

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

Ok, Slive, the ref's and the system SUCK. Kiffin called you out on it.

SEC football is a BILLION dolaar business. Some suggestions:
-full-time, salaried, PROFESSIONAL referees who study and work in the off-season. This includes fitness standards.

-a Centralized INSTANT REPLAY office that has a quality control staff onsite. The IR office will be, by definition, off-site, removed from the passions of the game. While all plays are reviewable, QC will just sample those. QC will FULLY approve the 'under further review' calls.
-same setup for basketball; no more 'Rupp Arena advantage'.

A smart thing to do would be to coordinate with any other football conference that wants to improve its product, as well as the NFL.

It's the day of electronics, of remote conferencing, all that. Video replays have NO need to be onsite, they have access pretty much instantaneously.

Those two steps, full-time referees for the tow 'money' sports and centralized, instant QC'ed calls, will go a long way to eliminating the controversy.

VolunteerLifer writes:

Mike Slive - you have more important fish to fry than spending your time yakking about Lane Kiffin and Derek Dooley.

1) How is the retraining of SEC football officials coming along? It's your responsibility to put good officials on the field and last year you failed in that responsibility, and miserably. I trust you're working on that so as to avoid a repeat?

2) How is the change in seeding for the SEC basketball tournament coming along? You understand that the league got a black eye when the three and four seeds went to undeserving teams last season, don't you? So are we going to have fair rules for seeding in place for this next season?

How about answering these questions for a change instead of wasting your time blathering to the media about trivia such as your likes and dislikes of Lane and Derek?

easleychuck writes:

in response to stevefrommemphis:

I really don't care what Slive thinks about Tennessee's coaches.

The league needs somebody like Kiffin to keep the heat on that jerk Slive.

Great post...the guy does not rule with an even hand.

springtx_vol writes:

in response to always_vol:

Ok, Slive, the ref's and the system SUCK. Kiffin called you out on it.

SEC football is a BILLION dolaar business. Some suggestions:

-same setup for basketball; no more 'Rupp Arena advantage'.

There is no way that the SEC is going to go to full time officials for any sport. The NFL doesn't even have full time referees, why should the SEC?

As to a remote instant replay official, we already have that with an off-the-field review official. He is in a separate press box (or maybe even a closed room) where he can watch all the replays.

The system is not broken, the officials are not corrupt. Yes there are (what fans see as) bad calls, but as a sports official myself, I can guarantee you that the officials are calling what they see.

I have been accused of favoring one team in games. I can confirm that neither I, or any other official that I have ever talked with, has intentionally favored one team in a game. Has it happened?

Yes, the NBA has several examples. But, in those cases there was personal gain (read gambling) involved. I am not going to accuse any official of fixing games without some proof. A bad call in the UF-Arkansas game doesn't suffice.

Also, having full time officials does not end bad calls. If you think so, just look at last year's baseball playoffs. The officials blew three calls in one Yankees game. Sometimes you just miss it. Get over it.

Finally, for those fans out there that remember, UT was the beneficiary of a questionable call against Florida when the clock should have been restarted after a personal foul against (Major Wright?). In the long run, all of the bad calls even out.