Negedu's visit to Indiana 'going in good direction'

Former UT player waiting for a call back

Emmanuel Negedu's best shot at returning to big-time college basketball could be at Indiana.

The former Tennessee forward visited the Big Ten school last weekend and is waiting for a call back.

"I took my visit to Indiana and everything is going in a good direction,'' said Negedu, who has three years of eligibility left. "Now, I'm just waiting.''

Negedu had an ICD (Internal Cardiac Defibrillator) implanted in his chest after a Sept. 28 cardiac event on UT's indoor football practice field that required him to be revived.

The 6-foot-7, 225-pounder from Kaduna, Nigeria, announced at the Volscars athletics awards ceremony on April 12 that he had been cleared by doctors and hoped to continue his career at UT.

UT athletic director Mike Hamilton, however, announced the following day that the school would not clear him to return to action for the Vols.

Negedu said he is disappointed, but he will honor the UT administration's decision and is intent on maintaining a strong relationship with the school.

UT coach Bruce Pearl said he talked to Negedu about succeeding in other facets of life, but Negedu is intent on returning to basketball.

After investigating his condition and talking to others who have experienced the same condition, Negedu remains determined to play basketball again.

Indiana was a logical first choice, as he played four years of AAU basketball for the Indiana Elite based in Bloomington, Ind., and was recruited by the Hoosiers.

Mark Adams was his AAU coach and his first guardian when he came to America as a freshman in high school.

Adams also is the founder and president of A-Hope (African Hoop Opportunities, Providing and Education) Foundation, which helped Negedu come to the United States.

Negedu attended the Brewster Academy for high school in New Hampshire, but he spent his summers and school breaks back in Bloomington.

Drew Adams is Mark Adams son, and is now the new director of basketball operations and coordinator of media at Indiana after serving as the coordinator of basketball systems last season.

Prior to Indiana, Drew Adams was the basketball manager at Tennessee the previous two seasons.

UT assistant coach Steve Forbes, who recruited Negedu, said he'll support whatever decision the 21-year-old ends up making.

"It's Emmanuel's decision; he's a grown man, and if he wants to play basketball, it's his decision,'' Forbes said. "I'm not a doctor. If he wants to play, it's his right to play

"We'll support him in that endeavor, and if he can't find a place to play, he knows he can come back here and finish his degree on scholarship.''

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

osbymartin#581730 writes:

in response to rabidvolfan:

I wish he was 100% healthy so he could play for us. The PR nightmare would be letting him play and having, God forbid, something happen to him on the court.

BradleyJKinkaid writes:

in response to RichRollin:

You got it RR. His situation is obviously extremely serious. I think MH's decision is not only a PR move but as well a supporting message of the DR. report. Sure he's been cleared, but does that mean he should play? Probably not.

newtonrail writes:

in response to rabidvolfan:

Liability. If he goes to enough Docs, you can get a favorable verdict. I only wish him good health.

osbymartin#581730 writes:

in response to RichRollin:

As much as I love basketball, especially UT basketball, it is after all just a game and not worth potentially risking a young man's life over. Apparently, UT doesn't want to risk it. I, for one, applaud them for putting his health ahead of BB. And, also the potential PR issues and liabilities.

osbymartin#581730 writes:

in response to newtonrail:

Exactly! Liability. LMU was sued by Gather's parent after they allowed him to play..after he had collapsed once before in that season and was diagnosed with a heart condition.

BillsBrother writes:

This is a very similar story to "E". Only this guy passed out during a game. Five years later he has not been cleared to play.

Alwaysavol writes:

Doesn't it seem irresponsible of Indiana to let him play?

MidTennVol writes:

I agree with what Steve Forbes said in the article.

txvolsfan writes:

in response to Alwaysavol:

Doesn't it seem irresponsible of Indiana to let him play?

I think Tom Crean is in a desperate situation and hasn't thought out the best interest of the player. The article also states, "he hopes to hear back from the them" The IU AD may stop this also and not let Crean bring him in.

jakethevolguy writes:

in response to RichRollin:

Hey Rich, an ICD doesn't work like a pace maker which keeps the rhythm of a heart. An ICD is a defibrillator that produces a shock to the heart if it stops beating to get it going again. The chances of E-Man actually dying are greatly reduced with the ICD. But, should it stop while he is playing BB and the ICD kick in, well, it wouldn't be a pretty sight to watch and that would be the PR nightmare. Go VOLS and best wishes the E-Man.

james#216392 writes:

I think it was great of the Vols to let him stay on scholarship, if he wants. Most schools would release him as scholarships are renewable each year. Shows a lot of class. I don't see where Indiana has agreed to let him play, so don't cut Crean down just yet.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

Good luck to the young man, you will always be a Vol to me.

BigBadVol writes:

in response to osbymartin#581730:

Exactly! I would hate myself if I encouraged him to return only to have his life end prematurely. Good luck to him.

Vol_In_Ohio writes:

I think if he is cleared by the doctors and the school attorneys sign off, he should get to play here. Who is Mike H. to say that Emmanuel can't do what he loves to do? I get it on the liability, but Emmanuel shouldn't stop living because he almost died. It should be his choice.

Indiana's gain if things work out that way. As much as I really wish I could pull for him in orange, I'll pull for him in red just as much.

All that being said, I sure hope the doctors are right about this one.

in response to dirtdobber01:

I tend to agree. According to posters the main reason UT doesnt want him to play is negative PR? I dont pretend to know anything about his condition, but if more than one dr cleared him to play and he wants to, I think UT should let him play. He is a grown man and is going to play somewhere anyway whether its UT or Div 2. It just doesnt seem right that UT wont let him play if he's been cleard and wants to play, just because they dont want negative PR IF something happens.

pj_ladyvolnMI writes:

"...he played four years of AAU basketball..." Mike, it would help to tell us what AAU stands for. Maybe most people know, but I don't.

SickEmSmokey writes:

in response to pj_ladyvolnMI:

AAU is just a Traveling Trophy Team. They get a lot of looks from big colleges, moreso than high school teams.

Sick 'Em Smokey!
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRR

givehim6 writes:

in response to AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons:

Good luck to the young man, you will always be a Vol to me.

That's right in the end it's up to this young man what to do if the doc's cleared him. Good luck good health and God speed.

avolfan73 writes:

It's such a sad situation. And hard for a 21 yr old young man to understand the potential severity of the situation. I wish him the best but hoped he would find success in something other than basketball. It doesn't have to be all about a PR nightmare. MH and BP have children of their own and maybe they look at the situation as a parent more than a competitor. Maybe they just want to do what is truly best for Emmanuel!

mrvol2u writes:

He should not play. I really like this young man and a lot of what he represents but you cannot let that cloud medical judgements. The standard medical practice in this type of situation is clear. No contact sports. The difference of medical opinion may really be one of if basketball is a contact sport or not. If the chest area is hit it can cause the ICD not to work the way it was intended. Have you ever seen a player catch an elbow to the chest?

Mike Hamilton and UT made the correct decision. For any poster to state it was done to avoid negative PR, is just plain bunk not backed by fact. I really think the best interest of this young man was the reason for the decision. UT had the proper equipment and staff to save Negedu's life the first time and I believe that is the intent and why the decision not to let him play was made this time.

UT is willing to let him go elsewhere but if that does not work out, they will let him come back and finish his degree on scholarship. That is the right thing to do and I for one applaud not letting him play and extending him the offer to complete his degree.

I wish some posters would just try not so hard to see negative in everything that is done that they do not agree with.

Good luck and I for one hope you catch some good breaks, Emmanuel. I really appreciate the effort and the way you represented UT. I am glad that if you leave, you have said you will maintain a strong relationship with UT. That shows a lot of class on your part as well. Thanks.

GO VOLS!!!

in response to avolfan73:

I guess thats where I have the problem. UT wants to do whats best for him? How about letting a grown man decide whats best for himself. MH is doing whats in the best interest for the school which is his job, but dont act like they know whats best for Emmanuel. He is going to play BB whether its at UT or not. He knows whats best for him and its to play BB. As far as the parent angel. What if his parents want him to play? Maybe they trust the Drs. Does anyone really know? This guy has probably been playing BB his whole life and he would rather take the calclated risk than to quit doing something he loves. That is why he's leaving UT cause they dont want too take the risk, but you wont convince me its in his best interest.

avolfan73 writes:

in response to orangeman1:

He is an incredible athelete so you have to believe MH and BP talked at length with doctors and maybe the risk is just higher than what they feel the reward could be. Especially if something did happen to him. I am a parent and that is how I look at the situation. I would tell my son that things happen for a reason and he was blessed with a second chance but that he is not going to be a failure if he can't play competitive basketball. Regardless if they are making the right or wrong decision it says a lot they are willing to let him finish his degree on scholarship. If he can play at Indiana I certainly wish him best. You are right. It is his decision and apparently he has made it and will follow his dream. I hope to read about his success for years to come!

Lizardgrad89 writes:

Him playing would be difficult on the other team too.

Do you want to see a player go up hard for a rebound, clear out with his elbows and hit an opponent (or heck, even a teammate) with that condition who was standing behind him, causing his machine to fail and him need the crash cart? That player would never be able to forgive himself.

On the flip side, would you want the Vols playing a team with a player in this condition? You know your team would be inhibited in their aggression level, for fear of hurting or even killing the kid with the heart condition. You could end up losing the game because your team played tentative. And worse, if he's on your team, your guys might be tentative all season for fear of accidently hurting him, and also be very protective of him on the court, to the point of distraction from the task at hand. Distracted and tentative isn't a good recipe for team success.

IMO, if this kid has a problem so serious he needs mechanical assistance to ensure his continued existence, he doesn't belong on the court.

mrvol2u writes:

in response to orangeman1:

The standard of medical care is pretty clear in this case. No contact sports. That is in the best medical interest of Emmanuel. It is also in the best interest of UT. That being said, M. Hamilton and UT could make only one decision.

Emmanuel may wish to take the risk but that does not mean it is in his best interest. What does he gain versus what does he chance, we all play that game to a certain degree in life but that does not mean others have assume or take part in it.

To hint or suggest UT is doing this just because it is playing safe and therefore somehow slighting Emmanuel is just ignoring the facts.

Ironcity writes:

Tenneesse did what is best for the program and Emanual should do what he wishes. I don't think either party is wrong here but UT has a lot to lose if they let him play here. Think what would happen to UT if something happened to the kid while playing for us. It would not matter if UT did right by him or not. Everyone would question why UT knowing what had happened before put this kid in harms way. Schools would recruit against us suggesting UT doesn't care about the individual, that they only care about what you can do on the court. Really this is a no brainer. I hope it works out for Emanual. I hope he goes on to the NBA and makes some money so he can take care of his family.

VolsToTheWall writes:

its a hard situation, because a normal american student would be able to not play and be a success in life. While i'm not saying Negadu won't succeed without basketball, it will be much harder for him considering his family and where he's from and his money situation. He came here so that he could play basketball to support his family. Thats what he's trying to do.

kazoo writes:

It would NOT be irresponsible for any team to play the kid if the /doctor's/ say he's OK to play. It's their call--and as I understand it, he's been cleared to play. It's not a whole lot different from being cleared to play after a serious concussion or other major injury. There are risks there, too.

in response to RichRollin:

I understand why Hamilton wouldnt want him to play at UT, but my problem is with the people saying he's doing it in Emmanuel's best interest. Emmanuel has already expressed what is in his best interest. He wants to play BB and he will play somewhere. I know he is 19 but, 19 year olds choose to join the military which could be dangerous too. Why arent people saying its not in their best interest to do that? The other posters analogy about concussions is good too. They are very serious too yet Drs clear people all the time to return. The Drs have cleared him to return too. I dont see the difference. Bottom line is the Drs have cleared him. Hamilton doesnt want to take the chance though because he is concerned about the university which is his job. Does anyone know how Pearl feels about this. I seem to remember him saying if the Dr cleared him then he would like to have him back. I'm not positive on that though. Just wondering if the decision is coming from coaches point of view or the administration.

in response to RichRollin:

I heard that 2 different Dr cleared him. I thought one was affiliated with UT, but could be wrong on that. My assumption is that he had really good Drs. I guess your is that the Drs he saw are incompetent. Maybe thats why our opinions differ.

in response to orangeman1:

Just checked and neither Dr was affiliated with UT, and Pearl told Emmanuel that he would have to consult with MH about making the decision. UT talked to experts in the cardiology field and apparantly dont trust the 2 drs that cleared him. I really do think that MH doesnt want to take a chance, but it still stinks that he wants to play for UT, is a good athlete, has been cleared by 2 drs, but cant. All I can say is I wish him luck and health at his next school.

osbymartin#581730 writes:

in response to orangeman1:

Not that it really matters but he will be 22 in Oct. I still think that the risks outweigh the rewards. CBP couldn't win in this situation:
1. If they had let him play then they are just all about winning at all costs
2. If they let him play and something happened to him then they would hear it from everybody
3. If they don't let him play then they are refusing this kid his right to play ball
So its darned if you do and darned if you don't...
Mike Hamilton is the one that released the statement saying that he would not be cleared to play after talking with medical experts and reviewing his condition.
And comparing a GAME to the military is Apples to Oranges..He wouldn't get in the military with this condition either.

murrayvol writes:

in response to rabidvolfan:

The PR nightmare would come if he's cleared to play and has another cardiac event on the court.

1vavolfan writes:

in response to Alwaysavol:

Doesn't it seem irresponsible of Indiana to let him play?

He is "waiting" on Indiana because they have not cleared him yet either.He went for a medical evaluation at IU and is awaiting its findings.

mrvol2u writes:

The standard of medical care for the condition Emmanuel has is pretty straight forward: Sports are ok IF, the patient is in the physical shape to compete. And IF, the sport is non-contact.

Basketball used to be considered non-contact but no longer. It is a very physical sport especially so for the low post players.

I read one case study of a player having an ICD and it involved a young man who played point guard. The young man very much loved the game and wanted to play but could not. His father was a MD. He was asked if he thought his son could play BB again. He replied,"No way, too risky." He knew the risk, he knew the percentages, and made the painful but correct choice.

Negedu's Dr. may tell him he can play BB and he can but that is only one part of the equation. Physical contact could disable the ICD. There is no way UT can let him play under those circumstances.

I don't have any inside information and this is just a hunch, but I believe before it is all said and done, IU will come to the same conclusion.

in response to RichRollin:

What part of the post did you not understand?

in response to RichRollin:

Many athletes have suffered permanent damage from concussions. The military might not have been the best example, but it had nothing to do with the military taking someone with his condition. I was trying to point out that joining the military can be dangerous too,yet people decide to join anyway. If they want to take the risk, who are we to tell them its not in their best interest?

in response to RichRollin:

Kinda like you assumed the Dr's he saw werent any good? Thats why you said there are Drs you woldnt let work on your dog. Kinda like you assume Hamilton is doing this in the best interest of Emmanuel and not the school. We are all just assuming here. Its funny this thread started with most posters saying it would be a PR nightmare if they let him play and something happened, but when I say MH should let him play because he's been cleared by 2 drs people want to defend MH decision by making it out like he's doing it in his best interest. Thats the part that I dont agree with. I can see why he wouldnt want the PR nightmare or liability, but I think thats where the decision ends.

in response to Biggunzz44:

I agree. He love BB, is an adult, has been cleared by 2 Drs to play, and knows the risks. MH just doesnt want to assume the risk. Thats his perrogative, but I would have liked to see him suit up in orange instead of playing somewhere else.

osbymartin#581730 writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

"Big Brother" has nothing to do with this..What does helmet laws and seat belt laws have to do with this? We are talking about someone with a serious heart issue wanting to play a GAME. Like I said I would love to see him play at UT, but I for one, wouldn't want to see him get on the court and have something happen to him. Sure, it is a PR issue and they are looking out for the school. Believe it or not, they are looking out for BOTH, their liability/PR issues AND his well being. These kids go to these schools and parents expect the coaches to look after their kids and to do whats best for their kids. Question..would you feel the same way if it was your son? If you were the coach that made the decision and he collapsed on the court? Just asking...

in response to osbymartin#581730:

You missed his point. It all has to do with someone else whether the government or Mike Hamilton telling someone else whats "in their best interest." Hamilton only need be concerned whats in UT's best interest. If I was the coach and he was cleared by reputable Drs, I would have no problem letting him play if the 21 year old wanted to and was going to play somewhere anyways.

hueypilot writes:

I would bet that this is entirely a liability issue. You could bet that if Negedu came back to play for UT, the dirtbags on the back of your phone book, would have Negedu's next of kin programmed into the cell phone, and would have contacted them to prearrange representation, because, in their parlance, "we have some deep pockets here."

Until we got something done in the area of tort reform, we will always have a lot of these "what the heck is going on" moments.

Don't know how it is in Tennessee but here in Florida if it weren't for the local ambulance chaser ads for everything from traffic accidents to "does your child suffer from cerebral palsy" to asbestos claims, the TV stations would go bankrupt. It's a cottage industry and I'll bet the main factor here is a liablity issue.

in response to RichRollin:

I guess my feelings should be hurt because the GREAT RICHROLLINZ2 thinks I'm an idiot. ha. I am not the only one that wants him to play for UT, and thinks Hamilton only made this decision based on UT's best interest. So dont sit there and act like you know Hamilton made the decision because he had Emmanuel's best interest in mind. That was my point, but you are the one who cant understand. And as far as Fulmer goes, I will defend the greatest UT coach in my lifetime when people make b/s comments about him. WAAAAAA Richrollinz2 called me a girlWAAAAAA GROW UP

orangeman1 writes:

And by the way, 7 other posters agreed with me that they think he should be able to play for UT or think Hamilton made his decision based on liability/badPR. All just opinions, but for some reason you think yours is worth more than anyone else's. This isnt the first time you've thrown a fit over a poster's opinion and started calling names. Maybe you need to take a break from the message boards if you let it get you that worked up. Maybe KNS should ban you for your "best interest"-----that was a joke, dont get all worked up again.

Colliervol writes:

UT made the right call. No chance I'd let him play if I was Pearl or Hamilton after that diagnosis. Too much liability for the school. Would you want to witness a death on the court because some short-sighted coach thought it was OK just to get another win or two? It ain't worth it. I can't believe Indiana or any other school would even think about it.

On second thought, after thinking about some of the coaches out there and the win-at-all-costs strategy that pervades college sports, I can believe it. I'm surprised it wasn't Kentucky.

in response to RichRollin:

Not an idiot again. oh no, how will I survive. This has nothing to do with my satisfaction as a fan. It has to do with me feeling bad for Negedu because he wants to play for UT and has been cleared to play by Drs., but Hamilton wont let him just because of liability/PR. You have not proven any different with all your assumptions.

osbymartin#581730 writes:

in response to orangeman1:

I didn't miss his point. But thanks for letting me know that you think I did. That was great news for me to know. Anyway, like another poster said it is a MOOT POINT he isn't playing here. Ask Paul Westhead how that went playing a kid with a heart condition and that kid was 23. And it isn't set that he is going to play anywhere else..still waiting to hear back from them. Hamilton is looking out for UTs best interest. Hmmm..ever think that sometimes Drs could get it wrong? Not knocking the medical profession but there would be no need for medical malpractice insurance if Drs never made mistakes. On a side note, glad my kid doesn't play for you!

in response to bigorangekoolaid:

So, do any of you knowitalls even know if a UT doctor has examined him? Was he even given that option? I could see if UT's doctor didnt clear him, but I have not seen anywhere that this is the case. You call me ignorant, yet you agree with what I was saying about this decision being about liability and not about Negedu's best interest. He is a grown man should decide for himself. Just answer me this and I will admit I am wrong. Did a UT Dr examin him and report that he shouldnt be cleared? Because the only Dr's I've heard from about this have cleared him to play. Maybe he went to Cali to see a National Heart Specialist. I dont know, Do any of you? If not, dont sit back and call people ignorant and act like you know more than the 2 Drs that have cleared him to play. That would be ignorant.

in response to osbymartin#581730:

You and Rollins do alot of assuming about Drs dont you? So what if the Drs in this case have it right? too bad for Negedu then I guess. Also, I would hope if you had a 21 year old son he wouldnt still let hid daddy tell him what to do unless of course you were a heart specialist.

osbymartin#581730 writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

Im sorry to hear that for you..but not even close to the same type situation. If something happens to you while lifting weights NO ONE but YOU is held liable for that. If they let this kid play...He isn't the one that will be held liable..UT, Pearl, and Hamilton would be. Its a totally different situation.

osbymartin#581730 writes:

in response to orangeman1:

I never assumed anything about his drs. you need to learn how to read and comprehend what you have read. You do alot of assuming about what you have read. Here is an assumption for you so you don't get confused okay..seems like you stop being a father when he turns 21 huh? I would hope that if you had a 21 year old that had a serious heart issue you would care about it. Its what you are saying there. Oh yeah, that last question there was an assumption okay? Just don't want you being confused again. I was saying that IF Drs were ALWAYS right why would they need medical malpractice insurance?? Not assuming that the Dr. is anything, good or bad.