Adams: Masoli situation bad for SEC image

John Adams

Former Tennessee football coach Phillip Fulmer was once fined by the SEC commissioner for failing to attend SEC football media days. Florida coach Urban Meyer was fined last year for critical comments of conference officials.

The SEC's 2009 spring meetings provided another opportunity for conference commissioner Mike Slive to exert his authority in the league's best interest. He made it clear to the football coaches he wouldn't tolerate their being critical of other coaches or schools.

Much of the commissioner's wrath was directed at former Tennessee coach Lane Kiffin, who considered ridiculing the competition to be an integral part of his job. But all the coaches got Slive's message.

More than a year later, Slive should have sent another message - this time, to Oxford, Miss., where Ole Miss football coach Houston Nutt and his administration embarrassed themselves and the conference in their successful, shameful pursuit of former Oregon quarterback Jeremiah Masoli.

Slive didn't need to call a news conference or issue a statement. He should have called Ole Miss chancellor Dr. Daniel Jones and said: "Let it go."

Think of it this way: What reflects worse on college football's most high-profile conference - Meyer criticizing the officials or the Rebels' frantic search for a graduate-level curriculum to accommodate a three-star offender who will be eligible this fall.

The counterpoint to Masoli's criminal activity is popular reading these days. There's an extensive account on SI.com, which focuses on the extenuating circumstances surrounding each of Masoli's three incidents. That's right - not one, or two, but three.

He spent three months in a juvenile facility for his role in a robbery five years ago. He pleaded guilty this March to burglarizing an Oregon frat house. He was cited two months ago for driving with marijuana in his car.

The last two incidents resulted in Masoli being kicked off the Oregon team, which was expected to contend for a national championship. Ole Miss wouldn't win a championship this season with a young Archie Manning at quarterback. It's picked sixth in the West.

Suppose Masoli boosts it all the way to fifth. Is that worth the damage it will do to the program's image?

The SEC's image has already taken enough hits this summer. Half-a-dozen UT players were involved in a barroom brawl that put an off-duty policeman in the hospital. Several of the conference's best players are being investigated by the NCAA in an agent-related probe.

Last year, Ole Miss signed defensive back Jamar Hornsby, who was dismissed from Florida after he was charged with fraudulent use of a credit card (he made 70 charges on the credit card of a student who was killed in a motorcycle accident).

Hornsby didn't make it through one spring at Ole Miss. He was kicked off the team after being charged with felony assault and petty larceny.

Given the appropriate forum, Hornsby surely could point to "extenuating circumstances" and "getting involved with the wrong crowd" as explanations for why he made a couple of "bad decisions." Maybe he needed his own website to set the record straight.

Masoli has one. It's professionally done and includes a picture of him hugging his grandmother. The website also has a section on "media mistakes" in which Masoli cites published errors, followed by the "truth." That's ironic considering Masoli initially lied to his coach about the incident this March.

In a recent update on the website, Masoli thanked Nutt and the Ole Miss administration for their kindness and understanding during his weekend campus visit.

Kindness? Understanding? How about acknowledging their desperation while you're at it?

Ole Miss lost quarterback Jevan Snead, who strangely decided he was ready to turn pro after his junior season. Then, second-string quarterback Raymond Cotton elected to transfer last week. That left Nutt with two quarterbacks, starter Nathan Stanley and junior college transfer Randall Mackey. Obviously, the coach needed help.

And the SEC commissioner should have provided it.

John Adams may be reached at 865-342-6284 or adamsj@knoxnews.com.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

WillTNKnox writes:

I'm just glad Tennessee doesn't have to play against Masoli this year when Oregan comes to Knoxville Sept. 11th.

NoSirRee writes:

All that matters... Just win, baby

FWBVol writes:

in response to WillTNKnox:

No, but we do have Ole Miss in November. Maybe Masoli will have screwed up again and been kicked off the team.

wazzya69vol writes:

I'm disappointed in Ole Miss,especially Coach Nutt, for recruiting this thug just because they need his services. Ole Miss is rich in tradition with "the Grove", the Mannings, Coach Vaught, etc. I'm all Orange, born and raised, but I hate to see this dark cloud appearing over the Oxford campus. Houston, this is a very bad move,,,,,GBO

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

Very good article. SEC football is bigtime and most of the programs want to win at any cost. Hope coach DD can change that image at UT and still win, which is extremely hard. The fans will give him 3 yrs, then if he isn't winning big time (8+ wins) they will go back to the "win at any cost" philosophy (Kiffin ball).

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to wazzya69vol:

Well said.

Hell, he probably won't last his first week against SEC defensive tackles.

charles57#1378642 writes:

Nutt is a nut!
'nuff said............................

Chris4Vols22 writes:

Why the heck should we or anyone else care? Doesn't it make it less relevant if they have a bad season like they're supposed to? Seriously, who cares? Move on.

nocleats writes:

Houston is trying to save his butt.

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

John Adams, I gotta tell you something...

everywhere else in the USA, they really respect SEC football. They do NOT respect SEC players, or programs. They think we cheat excessively, that we bend the rules to load up on kids who can't spell 'kat', and our officiating is a joke.

I dearly love SEC football, but it's because I was raised in it. Would I care so much if I came to it 'cold'?? Would I see people who I can identify with playing the game??

I go all the way back to guys like Richmond Flowers, Bobby Scott, Condredge, Larry Seivers, and Stanley Morgan. Those guys, with John Ward, where really something.

Now?? Well, now instead of Reveiz's knee, we talk abou tB. Browns messed-up head. Instead of Da'rick Rogers great hands, we are talking about how stupid he looked in the post bail photos.

Point is, guys, SEC football really is in a borderline area.

For once, John Adams is dead on target.

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to Chris4Vols22:

Adams is frying bigger fish...and I can't argue with him on this. SEC football is getting damaged as a brand. That IS very important.

cjones72 writes:

in response to WillTNKnox:

Not to get of subject but lets everyone remember the victims of 9/11/2001 .

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

...and when I think of SEC football, I like these thoughts:
LSU, big, fast, emotional. Always some guy named Broussard or Doucet. Great fans.
Bama, talented, crappy QB, great defense.
UK: the little team that could. Always putting a scare into someone.
UF: receivers who run 3.7/40's. QB's who throw lasers (no, not Tebow).
Ark: running backs who never seem stoppable.
Aubie: solid team, a lot like us;
UT: good QB's, great punters, all-around talent. A 'texas' type program that every now and then makes a run.
SoCar: crappy QB's surrounded by talent.
UGA: always missing a link....

THAT is what I think of when I think SEC. I do not want to be thinking bar brawls, stolen credit cards, agents, textbooks, phone cards, on and on.

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to cjones72:

Not to get of subject but lets everyone remember the victims of 9/11/2001 .

I was coaching little kid's soccer that day...

I remember sitting the kids down and asking them if they new what happened. They did. I told them that we were having practice because it was our little way of fighting back, that we shouldn't be scared but should do things like we normally would.

The discussion wasn't 'deep', but I was surprised at how much they knew and what they thought.

tennezz writes:

in response to nocleats:

Houston is trying to save his butt.

You had a shot at some serious poetry if you had typed in Nutt instead of Houston!

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

"Ole Miss isn't in the same league with UT or Georgia when it comes to off-the-field incidents. But Nutt recruits as though he's trying to catch up."

What the bloody hell, Adams? Do you always have to say things like this? We all know you're not a TN Alum, and this is just a job for you, but please try to keep from writing KRAP that makes us Vol fans angry at you.

crimsonviper writes:

in response to always_vol:

...and when I think of SEC football, I like these thoughts:
Bama, talented, crappy QB, great defense.
UK: the little team that could. Always putting a scare into someone.
UF: receivers who run 3.7/40's. QB's who throw lasers (no, not Tebow).
Ark: running backs who never seem stoppable.
Aubie: solid team, a lot like us;
SoCar: crappy QB's surrounded by talent.
UGA: always missing a link....

That is a quality post....thanks.

andy112382#209793 writes:

in response to FWBVol:

My bet is he is arrested before then.

jcherrie#219531 (Inactive) writes:

in response to always_vol:

John Adams, I gotta tell you something...

Point is, guys, SEC football really is in a borderline area.

For once, John Adams is dead on target.

Great post Untamed_vol. I live in Washington and that's certainly the perception here.

But anyone that claims they're not a hypocrite is a hypocrite. How soon Oregon afficionados will forget Onterrio Smith?

american_pitvol_terrier writes:

AtLannaVol writes:

are the vols so far behind with the "DaRick is in DaJail but not in DaDawghouse" routine? Yes it's bad, but who are we to judge?
Sleepless In Atlanta

PS. At this point, if Dooley brings us a 7-5 record with no felony convictions this year, I'll celebrate heartily at the Chicken Pot Pie/Peach Pie bowl in the Georgia Dome on New Years Eve.

Just give us an ounce of dignity and a promise of future O-lineman to protect Tyler Bray long enough to hit some of these thouoghbreds we're bringing in at WR.

Go Vols.

PMC2726 writes:

No lose situation for Houston Nutt. Masoli was a true Heisman contender before getting booted from Oregon. If Masoli helps the Rebs win a few games they otherwise wouldn't, keeps the heat off Nutt another year while he rebuilds his team, and stays out of trouble/earns a degree, it's a great story. If Masoli busts, Nutt can and will cut him quick and chalk it up to having too big a heart. EVERY SEC team has at least one kid with a checkered past playing for them, including the Vols (a certain kid from Catholic High), so I don't know why everyone is up in arms, other than the fact that Masoli could shake things up this year.

mwhla writes:

"We all know you're not a TN Alum, and this is just a job for you, but please try to keep from writing KRAP that makes us Vol fans angry at you."

I wondered where Adams was born, grew up, went to school, et al and clicked on his name and under "Information" it reads:

No biography available.

What is up with that?! One would think it would not be too difficult for a writer to have a bio.

mwhla writes:

Another thing...does it annoy anyone else that the "Photo Gallery" section of this site still has "Lane Kiffin Leaves UT" still up. I mean, come on, can this not be deleted by now? Maybe have later events such as a UT tennis (NCAA runner-up) or softball (NCAA 3rd place) photo gallery highlighted instead?

DannyVol writes:

I seriously doubt that Adams was bothered or shocked by Masoli's admission to Ole Miss, but simply saw it as an opportunity to bring up some of UT's transgressions yet again as he clearly loves to do. He hates UT and if you don't belive me, start reading his columns a little more carefully.

While Adams certainly isn't a good writer, he has become somewhat crafty at squeezing in barbs about UT while writing stories about other teams. As a matter of fact, he has never failed in doing that in any almost every article he's written over the past few years. What's more amazing is how seldom he gets called on it. If he tried that in any other SEC town like Athens or Gainesville, there would be a serious uproar. I won't even suggest what might happen in Baton Rouge.

His barbs are in every column, but let's look at this one: The column begins with Fulmer and Meyer getting fined, but Adams defends the Florida coach five paragraphs later without another reference to Fulmer. Then when citing the SEC's off the field issues, he gets pretty specific about UT's problems while lumping all the other team's problems together and without mentioning the other teams by name.

While this is actually a pretty mild example of Adams' disdain for the program we love (certainly not as bad as his negative articles on game days when scores of recruits and their families are in town), but taken collectively over the course of several years, it is clear that the sports editor of the Knoxville News Sentinal has some serious issues with the home team.

Still don't believe me? Just go back and read his last 5-10 columns...or again, just read his upcoming columns more carefully. Not only will you see more barbs at UT, but eventually tons of praise for all of our arch-rival's coaches and players, especially Meyer and Saban.

In one fairly recent article, Adams stated that UT might not score one touchdown vs. Alabama AGAIN this upcoming season although we did so last year and the Tide didn't. And I doubt that he meant it as a joke...even if it was, would that be funny or acceptable?

The sports editor of a newspaper has some amount of power in defining the local program and affecting recruiting; Adams is using his influence to inflict an endless negative campaign against our program. That's the plain truth.

jobrando#216494 writes:

punkin writes:

in response to FreeTDTN:

He's gonna get killed in the SEC. Say that after the first couple of hits.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to DannyVol:

He actually wrote a very good article about coach Joseph just two hours before he posted this.

He wouldn't have been able to sleep last night if he didnt take a jab at Fulmer or the university of Tennessee.

orangepaws writes:

I agree with DannyVol...I don't think hometowners HAVE to be "homers"...but Adams is totally LSU/Western conferece biased

JWilly writes:

Masoli may deserve this chance, I don't know and I will leave that decision up to the people that have the most information. But it does appear to me that he is being brought in to start ahead of Nathan Stanley (I can't believe Masoli is going through all of this to ride a bench as a back-up). If I was Stanley, I would think strongly about leaving Ole Miss as well.

8ball writes:

in response to ForeverRockyFlop:

GO CRAWL IN A HOLE, I KNOW THERE ARE A LOT OF THEM IN ALA. BECAUSE I LIVED IN HUNTSVILLE FOR 2 YEARS. I'AM THANKFUL EVERY DAY FOR BEING ABLE TO LEAVE FOR TENN.

GreerVol22 writes:

I have a major problem with people that smoke pot, rob people, and steal from fellow students..then take a picture with grandma and show up in church on Sunday as if all can be forgiven and redemption is automatic. Adams is right on this one, theschool should have said , "Nutt, let it go". But then again, the Kiffen mantra is to "Just win baby"...

TommyJack writes:

Don't much care where Adams went to skewl.

voloffaith writes:

Hello...."Houston we've got trouble......" Old movie line fits well here doesn't it? Yes I'm with you on the part of people in glass houses shouldn't throw atones or better yet,"he who is without sin throw the first stone." Masoli has everything to gain by keeping his nose clean and out of trouble. NFL will give more leniency over the past if he has stellar year on/off the field.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

Great article. The actions of Houston Nutt and Ole Miss in soliciting this thug to Ole Miss are reprehensible. The article on the juvenile incident, when the thug was a senior in high school, said he was guilty of several strong-arm robberies at a shopping mall, where men and women were threatened or beaten as he robbed them of their money. Oregon gives this poor baby a second chance, and he responds by committing a burglary, for which he only gets a suspended sentence and placed on probation. Oregon gives him a third chance, and a few months later he is arrested for drug possession. Then, even Oregon had enough and kicked him off the team. That's the end of his career, right? No. Ole Miss needs a quarterback. They take advantage of a stupid NCAA rule that allows transfers after graduation, without penalty, if you go to a school for a graduate degree not provided by your school. Ole Miss found a Parks Management degree program not offered by Oregon. But wait, the deadline for enrolling in Ole Miss' graduate school is April 1, according to their web site, and that was 4 months ago. No problem. They can make an exception for this sterling character. As I said on another post, Houston Nut has climbed the coaches sleaze scale to rank right up there with Ed Orgeron, Urban Meyer and Lane Kiffin.

nocleats writes:

in response to mwhla:

Your talking about the same site that kept all the ncaa documents of P Fulmers testimony to the NCAA about Albert Means up for 18 months.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to nocleats:

Houston is trying to save his butt.

Clearly a desperation move by Nutt because Stanley is taking them nowhere..2 weeks ago Nutt said they weren't interested at all in Masoli..Masoli scored 13 td's running last year; that's not happening in the SEC unless he wants to be on crutches..Ole Miss was extremely lucky Snead went the whole season without injury because QB depth is a big problem for them..Masoli is a prime example; He might get them 6 wins but Nutt does still have a great front 7 on defense

d_ray writes:

in response to orangepaws:

Adams has openly admitted that he is not a Vol fan. He lives here only because this is where he found a job. I never expect a pro Vol report from him. As a matter of fact, I never expect a positive article from him on any subject. He just stirs the pot.

NeylandWest writes:

in response to always_vol:

John Adams, I gotta tell you something...

Point is, guys, SEC football really is in a borderline area.

For once, John Adams is dead on target.

Spot on!

CrankE writes:

Masoli isn't the story here. Houston Nutt is.

Nutt's best season at Arkansas was his first. From Clint Stoerner's fumble onward, it was largely forgettable. The same story is developing at Ole Miss where they knocked off UF and won a Cotton Bowl in 2008.

Arky tolerated Nutt for a number of years because he's an Arkansas guy. However, Nutt's predecessor (Cutcliffe) had a winning record and Ole Miss fired him anyway. Nutt will not get the same patience from Ole Miss as he did from Arkansas and he knows it. The Masoli signing may turn out to be a whole lot like the Mitch Mustain, Guz Malzahn, Springdale High soap opera a few years ago. Good luck with that.

Who will be Ole Miss' next HC and when will he be hired?

rbhobbs73#226545 writes:

in response to CrankE:

Masoli isn't the story here. Houston Nutt is.

Who will be Ole Miss' next HC and when will he be hired?

My best guess is Gus Malzahn after the 2011 season....they can finally get payback on Aubie for stealing Tuberville...

volfan#207874 writes:

in response to DannyVol:

Right on Danny! I agree with your post wholeheartedly! Adams can't joke...he is the joke! It is a sad day when the local sports writer cannot find favorable comments on the local team. I hope that DD ignores him just as Fulmer did. He is a complete jerk and KNS should also be ashamed that they have him in their employ. Go Larj Arnj!

Bigger_Al writes:

in response to DannyVol:

You are absolutely right. He went after Major's program big time back in 1991, and has been gleefully gigging the Vols ever since. I call him "Tuscaloosa John" (think "Hanoi Jane") because he will go on popular Alabama radio shows to skewer the Vols and our coaches to the delight of the Tide fans; Hey, when the Knoxville paper's editor hates the Vols, who could like them, right?

pomp_and_circumstance writes:

in response to d_ray:

I don't believe pot stirring is his motive. JA is driven by a pathological hatred of Phillip Fulmer. Exactly how JA was dissed by CPF is any body's guess, as the sensitivities of a boob are mysterious things. But if Phillip died today, Adamas would make weekly visits to the cemetery to stomp on Fulmer's grave. This might be explained by Adams feeling painfully slighted by an indifferent public. It was Adams, after all, who lead a single minded crusade to topple CPF from his throne for reasons that had nothing to do with won/loss records, police rap sheets etc. His reasons were a personal corrosive hatred of Phillip. So Johnny became the giant slayer. And did the partisan mobs laud Johnny with hosannas of praise. Not exactly. Lane Kiffin dashed in and stole the stage out from under Adams. In short, no one has publicly recognized Johnny's super human role in righting the floundering ship of UT football. Not a single book has appeared to explain to the Vol nation how close to disaster UT football was, without the heroic intervention of John Adams and his Fulmer coup de etat.

This is really all John Adams is. His personal feeling for any college football team is strictly unbiased, because he has only the vaguest idea of what takes place on the field. Two things about Adams are very odd. One is, how did he ever end up the position he holds, and stay there? The other is: Adams is simply funny as hell...every thing that comes out of his mouth paints a picture of Don Quixote jousting the arms of windmills.

bkgunter writes:

Amazing--Adams really writes one column over and over. He is like a heroin addict--only he's hooked on that killer fulmer-sh**. This hack just used the matriculation of a guy from Oregon, at Mississippi, to lead off with a poke at Fulmer's corpse. Pathetic. And who, by the way, appointed Adams to the post of college football Character Csar ? And please spare us future puff pieces about recruiting "good characters." I, for one, am glad Masoli is getting another chance. Sometimes circumstances are extenuating---how else can you explain Adams' continued employment?

murrayvol writes:

in response to voloffaith:

It's "Houston, we have a problem"

murrayvol writes:

in response to rbhobbs73#226545:

That's a good guess but I think he's gone after this year unless Aubie's offense tanks.

murrayvol writes:

in response to marc_ash#231781:

Has one writer ever been so vilified for being right?

Colliervol writes:

No big stunner that Nutt would make this decision when it comes to "sleaze versus need". Did it all the time at Arkansas and all I have to do is point to his selective punishment of Cedric Cobb and Ken Hamlen (both all SEC performers) after multiple offenses. Neither would have still been on the team if they had been a 4th string offensive linemen. Houston desperately needs another QB and that is the ONLY reason Masoli is coming to Oxford. And that's just pitiful.

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

in response to WillTNKnox:

1. who is oregan?
2. tn will play masoli this year.
3. we will destroy him anyway.