Greg King, Marlon Walls back with Vols

Walls, King reinstated to Vols as of today

Derek Dooley is ready to report for his first fall camp with Tennessee.

Exactly which Vols will be joining him appears to still be a bit uncertain.

Signee Dave Clark is out. Linebacker Greg King and defensive tackle Marlon Walls are back in after an indefinite suspension for their roles in the Bar Knoxville brawls. And the status of incoming freshmen Eddrick Loften, John Brown, Martaze Jackson and Marcques Dixon has yet to be determined as UT prepares for its first practice on Wednesday.

That roster limbo has forced at least two position changes already, as receivers Marsalis Teague and Ted Meline will move to defensive back to address a lack of depth in the secondary - which was largely created with the loss of Clark and likely absence of Loften.

For more updates on Dooley's roster and more from his first fall press conference, check back to GoVolsXtra.com throughout the day, follow on Twitter @Vols_Beat or join in the live web chat on the Austin Translation blog this afternoon.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

kevin151 writes:

Teague should be DB anyways... He could be a great corner!

easleychuck writes:

Brown is not a freshman. He is a JUCO, as is Clark. I wonder this stuff will sort itself out.

Wonder if the same SEC class requirement that keeps tripping up potential JUCO signees got Clark?

Volunatic writes:

I didn't know that Loften was questionable/doubtful. That's really bad news-- I hope he manages to qualify.
I REALLY hope John Brown qualifies because the need at DT is HUGE.
Having a great recruiting class doesn't mean much if you can't get them on campus due to academic shortcomings.
While there's a lot to dislike about our former coach, I did like how he stressed to the players that even if they had no interest in academics, they still had to do enough in the classroom to qualify to play ball. The team's grades last Fall were pretty good as a result of that emphasis.
I hope Dooley stresses the importance of an education to the players also.

ravensearay writes:

Good news........ Now, let's go play some football. Go Vols!!!!!

monsterman writes:

I was hearing Meline was supposed to be a great receiver prospect. I hope we can get him back over there soon. Teague may be better as a corner. Hope Jackson is back, he has looked really good.

VOLliven2it writes:

The challenges continue for our coaching staff but crunch time is literally right around the corner. I hope all the guys getting second chances will step up, man up and show they are worthy to be on the field. Let's brace ourselves, strap in it will be some kind of ride after the first game. GO BIG ORANGE!!! I for one AM READY for FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE!

gnm53108 writes:

Marlon and Greg welcome back!

Great news.

The rest of this bites.

InertGas writes:

in response to kevin151:

Teague should be DB anyways... He could be a great corner!

I agree that he could be a great corner. He sure has good hands though. He seems to have a knack for getting open.

MemphisVol1485 writes:

I like Teague and Meline in the secondary. That is where most people recruited Teague. He only went to the offensive side because Jones and Moore were injured at the start of camp last year and we needed depth at receiver. I just wish we would have known this so both could have had the spring and summer to learn the defense.

We definitely needed King and Walls back. Those guys are both in positions of need and are good players. Now hopefully the rest of the guys clear but don't hold your breath while waiting for Dixon. He was supposed to have a worse chance of getting in than Clark.

nothinglastsforever writes:

Teague needs to be on the field, period. He's a playmaker.

nocleats writes:

Loften even took a class to help him with his ACT test...... come on man!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

Great news about Marlon Walls and Greg King..I trust CDD got the WHOLE story in their roles and dealt with it properly....That's too bad about Dave Clark being out, and I hope he's not out forever..I hope that Loften,Brown, Dixon, and M.Jackson can get qualified so Teague and Meline can return to their respective positions but you gotta do what you gotta do as a coach..As I said, I trust CDD 100%.

nocleats writes:

are any of our 2010 DB recruits going to get in?

Long_Time_Vols_Fan writes:

Gotta remember that CDD is working on the building whole player concept. These kids will get straight, just gonna take some time. We need to quit expecting some kind of miricle this season... if it happens great, but lets be surprised by it and support the coach and the team in the mean time.

Mobbdeep4life writes:

Had no idea Clark was out. Of the other four mentioned Brown is the biggest due to the need for interior defensive linemen.
Anyone know why Jackson and Dixon are questionable?

Bogus writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

If you read the same link off Volquest that I did, you'd also have noticed that they predict his offers to triple by the beginning of February, and that he projects to be an OLB in a 3-4 defense. That, and he was the hardest worker at the Top Gun camp. I'll take Chuck Smith's word on a pass rusher anyday, lord knows he's worked with the NFL's best for years. Sorry if you have stars on the brain like so many others, but I'll bet he plays well above a 2-star rating.

orangeman1 writes:

I have to wonder why UT recruited 5 players that couldnt qualify to enroll. Three 4 stars and two 3 stars. I wonder how that would affect UT's top 10 recruiting ranking last year. Maybe all schools have the same problem, but we just dont hear about it. It hurts to lose recruits at positions we already thin at.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to Long_Time_Vols_Fan:

Its not a good start when 20% of the players Dooley recruited cant qualify. I would think recruiting intelligent athletes that can actually graduate would be a major factor in changing the culture at UT that he likes to speak about. I know the requirements for football players is lower than the general public to get into UT so I just dont understand how these guys couldnt get done what it takes to qualify. This isnt Vandy.

Orangeatang writes:

in response to Bogus:

2 stars. Hmmmmmm. Just keeps getting worse. Hawaii, Weber St., Wyoming? Yeah baby!! This is gonna get us to the promised land!!! (Because our coaching staff obviously knows something Florida, Alabama, and Texas don't. Yeah right.)

volfaninusaf writes:

Where are all the fans outraged on here that Dooley is letting players with questionable character back on the team? You all sure gangraped Brown and others. I'm glad to have them back and it's good to see Dooley means to put his best players on the field and forgive some of their nonsense. The loss of Myles is going to hurt.

Bogus writes:

in response to Orangeatang:

And you do? Yeah, right.

196SVol writes:

in response to volfaninusaf:

Heck, Meyer took the scholarship away from his best receiver for DUI and Dooley lets these guys skate while a cop is still recovering from a beat-down. Hard to go after Meyer now.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to volfaninusaf:

I've never heard what Brown or Walls even did wrong so I cant give an opinion as to whether Dooley is doing the right thing letting them back on the team. I am glad Dooley finally kicked off Myles. He had been given enough chances. I just wish Dooley wouldve been tougher on him after the 1st resisting arrest and maybe the last incident wouldnt have happened.

Volunatic writes:

in response to orangeluvr:

When is the BBQ going to be ready?

volfaninusaf writes:

in response to 196SVol:

I was just speaking to the holier-than-thou fans that squawk about how Dooley is bringing character back to the team and that is more important than going after bigtime players like Brown because of the "egos." The same ones saying how great it is that Dooley forgave the ones from the brawl would be burning them alive if he had kicked them off the team. It's time a lot of people on here admit that it is okay to win and that liking winning is okay. Let 'em play! Go Vols.

Volunatic writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

Now, now. I was only commenting on the pure academic side of things.
At least academic ineligibility wasn't a factor in last year's bowl game. (Monte's scheme or lack thereof against a well-run option, on the other hand...)

Volunatic writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

He is a 2011 commitment.
Another DE, and the "star hounds" are going to howl some more.
I haven't seen any reason yet to distrust the coaches' assessment of recruits.
Glad to have you commit to Tennessee, Juda!

jack_2222#231746 writes:

in response to InertGas:

I always thought he had more potential as WR than G Jones or D Moore. Hope he doesn't languish at CB.

Volunatic writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

Todd Kelly thought very highly of him at that camp and immediately called Chuck Smith to tell him to offer.
Good to have the former Vols "networking" like that.

Bigger_Al writes:

in response to 196SVol:

Easy to go after Urbie Cryer. He wanted to let his starters play after DUI's a couple of days before the SEC championship! He let his leading tight end fail drug tests throughout his career and never miss a down on Saturday, the only publicity coming from the Boston Herald after he was drafted - not so good by the Gainesville newspapers, eh? Equating the above to a bar fight is foolish. But so are you, TROLL!

Volunatic writes:

in response to RichRollin:

The rest of the recruiters in CFB took notice of Kerbyson after Dooley offered. I guarantee several of these 2* and 3* commits that are causing such consternation among Vol fans are going to be recruited by other top programs in the country, and we'll be glad that Dooley got the jump on giving them the offers.

196SVol writes:

in response to Bigger_Al:

Wow, I had no idea Meyer was able to do all of this and the NCAA and SEC turned their heads? Please send a link so I can get Slive right on it.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

Having Character means taking responsibility for your actions. Sure there are always excuses, but ultimately 20% of Dooleys first class didnt qualify for UT and Rodgers has already been arrested. Most of the players that left did so because of a wide range of reasons. I doubt most were due to character though.

smokies_old_soul writes:

it does sound to me like coach dooley has gone too easy on the participants of the cumberland avenue bar fight. running some stadium steps isn't enough.

montario hughes displayed attitude problems around other areas of campus before the bar brawl ............... and the account of the bar incident sounds like he started it simply because some poor soul accidently bumped into him, which i suppose he took as an insult. what punishment or penalties has montario suffered as a result of his actions.

no real consequences = nothing changes.

Bigger_Al writes:

Troll - We both know that Florida's history of cheating is much longer than their history of winning, but don't bother reporting, because these are indictments of lack of discipline following drug tests and DUI's, not involved with UF's NCAA violations.

Also, Urbie Cryer taking away a scholly just frees up a scholarship for someone else they signed but didn't have room for. Urbie will make sure the DUI guy gets his tuition and such paid through the Gator donor network.

Volunatic writes:

in response to RichRollin:

No, I don't think EVERY commitment is a "diamond in the rough". I think some of them are, and I think the rest are players with good solid potential in positions of dire need.
Dooley isn't going to be hauling in a class full of 5* recruits this year, and he isn't going to get ANY commitments from 5* prospects before the season starts. I think he will get a few on NSD, though, and it will be good to have some solid players around them to enable them to make the big plays on Saturdays.
For now, just enjoy the fact that he is addressing the depth problem handed to him by his two predecessors. And for crying out loud, throw out the cornflakes in that bowl already!

Ironcity writes:

in response to RichRollin:

He also played against LSU the next week after the UT game before he was kicked off the team.

huntined#565710 writes:

Wish we would save some of those offers for FEB. We may need some if our team has a pretty good year and they are fun to watch or at least really tries..and shows promise.. and our coaches show they can coach..

Orangeatang writes:

in response to Volunatic:

Or we wake up one morning after we find ourselves 3 and 6 this season and wonder what happened to the days when we consistently recruited 4 and 5 star guys.

Orangeatang writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

Or he's just unable to get 4 and 5 star recruits interested in our program. I think you're being a tad optimistic.

VolAlum2003 (Inactive) writes:

in response to Volunatic:

He is a 2011 commitment.
Another DE, and the "star hounds" are going to howl some more.
I haven't seen any reason yet to distrust the coaches' assessment of recruits.
Glad to have you commit to Tennessee, Juda!

How about the two players that Dooley recruited that are still indefinitely suspended for their involvement in a violent brawl that left a Knoxville police officer in the ICU?

I mean...how much more will it take?

rollonbeagles writes:

in response to volfaninusaf:

Well I am one of those holier than thou folks and I still believe that if CDD had of acted quicker and harsher it would help up for years down the road. If CDD is the guy to bring us back to winning then how great it would have been to kick everybody that was there at 2:00 a.m. kicking a police officer in the head off of the team and showing the five years of recruits that thugs and cowards have no place at U.T.

VolAlum2003 (Inactive) writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

You know...Dooley is one crafty guy. He's got everyone snookered. Here most of us are thinking that he's falling behind in recruiting because of his losing record as a headcoach, problems within UT football, and our recent stagnation of talent....when the reality is that all Dooley has to do is just "plan" on going out and picking those four and five star players up at the last second!

Maybe next year he'll "plan" on picking more than 8 four or five star players. Every season Urban Meyer "plans" on picking up at least 10 four and five star players...so does Nick Saban. But dont' tell Vandy, Kentucky, or Miss. State...they don't "plan" that way. I say someone needs to convince Dooley to "plan" on picking up at least 20 four/five star players next year. Of course...those players aren't "solid" so I guess what wouldn't work out in the "plan."

JACK8254 writes:

in response to ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog:

I dont understand how 2-4 people who said they saw what happened could be wrong or lying. At least that many said they saw Walls and King kick the deputy while he was down and probably unconscious . Either they are lying ( and what do they have to gain by that) OR ( this is more likely) they have been pressured to forget what they saw. Anyone who kicks an unconscious man in the head, especially a policeman, should not be on the team. I want to beat Fla as bad as the next Orange Fan, but playing these guys , if they are guilty , is not defensible in a civilized world. The facts do not add up. What really happened? This whole situation is another stain on UT's reputation. The message should be" we will not tolerate thugs representing our school. If that is what it takes to win- count us out"

10volunteers98 writes:

Might be a dumb question,but what about Rodgers?Is he still out?

VolfanClinton writes:

Please bring Coach Kiffin and Coach O back !!!

boroviathaochvolsfan writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

He did really good at the Top Gun Camp in Virginia. Todd Kelly worked that camp and let Coach Chuck Smith know about him....The Rivals "analysts" that were there over the three day camp said that he was a lot better than a 2* and he will be upgraded when the next rankings come out....hopefully he will turn into a very good prospect...GO VOLS!!!!

Colliervol writes:

in response to VolnotHAMILTONfan:

Has anybody been indicted yet in the beating? Hard to kick somebody off that hasn't been arrested yet. I think maybe I'd wait till any indictments occur before saying that Dooley hasn't handled it. Once an indictment occurs, by all means, let the beheadings begin.

No need to even dignify a discussion about Fulmer's disciplinary record. 21 arrests in 17 months which led to a total lack of discipine on the field which contributed to losing records and his firing. End of discussion.

And please stop using the term "we". You don't deserve to do that as you are most certainly not one of us.

Bogus writes:

in response to VolfanClinton:

Please bring Coach Kiffin and Coach O back !!!

Um, no.

jjsteel writes:

in response to VolfanClinton:

Please bring Coach Kiffin and Coach O back !!!

How about you just go to them.