Vols shift two receivers

KNOXVILLE — New Tennessee football coach Derek Dooley doesn’t like moving players to different positions.

But he really likes winning, and Tuesday he announced several swaps with that in mind.

Young wide receivers Marsalis Teague and Ted Meline will start preseason camp today at defensive back in response to the Volunteers’ thin depth in the secondary.

They lost likely starting safety Darren Myles after he was arrested twice in the offseason, and Dooley confirmed Tuesday that junior college signee Dave Clark didn’t qualify academically. The coach also noted that two of the team’s four signees still in academic limbo were defensive backs Eddrick Loften and Marcques Dixon.

Continue reading at the Chattanooga Times Free Press.

PMC2726 writes:

I'm sure Marsalis is talented as heck, but I hate having 5ft 10in backs. 6 ft. 3in. WR's don't have much problem winning those single coverage jump balls in those type of match-ups. With that said, I think CDD is doing the right thing -- putting his talent where it is most needed. CDD is following the old saying "talent wins out." Even if the kids don't know the play book as well from that position, they can make things happen with their talent. Can't wait to see it play out. Go Vols.

monsterman writes:

Teague may not be very tall but make no mistake he is a superb athlete. With the addition of several highly touted WR added to the couple of good ones we already had, Teague's move makes a lot of sense. I watched him play at HC and he is the real deal. He does things that only a handful of players on the college level can do. He is fast enough to run with big dogs but his athletic moves is what will make him a star at DB. I wanted him to play WR but this may actually be the place where he solidifies himself as an SEC star of the caliber of EB and insures himself a career in the NFL. He is that good.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

Teague is an all around good athlete who will transition well..I doubt Meline is real happy about the move..I don't think either can convert to CB in one fall session.Safety maybe.Don't forget you have to be a good open field tackler too. We will see thats for certain.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to monsterman:

Thanks monsterman,

Appreciate the background info on Teague. It always helps when someone actually knows something about a certain player. We need to get the players on the field who can help and it'll be interesting to see what they can do.

Now that practice is underway, there may be more changes forthcoming. It'll be really interesting to see how much the new kickers will be able to help.

volfaninusaf writes:

Two things: Establish a black jersey permanently. Start the young players so that they get experience while Dooley loses his first two seasons.

If Daniel Lincoln gets to start again, I'll shoot myself.

mountainbrook writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

And Vandy will still lose to them again.

kyvol98 writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

We can line up our cheerleaders at any position and still beat the Vander-Puke Comode-Doors.

in response to licknpromise777#651578:

Depending on the defensive strategy, it could be easier for an offensive player to jump right in as a CB than as a safety. Many CB's are simply told to cover their guy and don't let him catch anything. Safeties not only have to play the run but they are also the ones who play the zone areas in the various coverages. Also, it is usually a safety who makes the lineup and coverage calls for the whole secondary. In other words, CB is a position that usually requires more in the way of instinctive athleticism and safety is usually a position that requires more experience and knowledge of the game.

PMC2726 writes:

in response to volfaninusaf:

If Daniel Lincoln gets to start again, I'll shoot myself.

The kicker situation will resolve itself within the second full week of fall practice. I take no pride in saying that Palardy and Darr are going to embarrass Lincoln and Cunningham. But it's going to happen. I feel bad for L & C, but that's the nature of the beast and a testament to CDD's recruiting ability. If players are looking over their shoulder every year in fear of losing their spot to a more talented younger player, it brings the overall talent and intensity level of the team up. These two freshman will make an IMMEDIATE difference to the team this year. Go Vols!

bebecerveza writes:

in response to PMC2726:

Thats right.. Let the kickers loose!!

jcherrie#219531 (Inactive) writes:

in response to PMC2726:

Yes - 6' is desirable. But in college ball I'd take an athletic 5'10" DB that puts himself in position.

Troy Polamalu and Derrelle Revis are among the best at the next level despite being short by league standards.

Smokey_Told_Me writes:

in response to PMC2726:

I agree 100%. I strongly feel that we will upset 2 teams that we will be underdogs to due to better special teams play.

...Smokey knows where the bones are buried.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

Austin Ward on right now on ESPNU.

oskie_score writes:

Now this young man is a TRUE Vol!

A good read for those interested...

Stay healthy Tauren and reap what you sow!

Good luck!

Orange_Juiced writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

VD...I've read your drivel for about a week now and have delighted in others taking care of your nonsense, but now I have to respond because you are absolutely living in lalaland,

We have hit our low point and are on the way back up...you guys hit your peak a few years ago and are plummeting into the great abyss. Heck...even your coach got tired of losing and quit two weeks before fall practice...what's up with that? Sounds like he just got tired of a hopeless situation to me. Nobody wants to be a loser their entire life.

Even if we lose every game this year which includes Vunderbroke...we STILL have a future of winning to look forward to. You guys? Not so much.

I'll take my one or two years of mediocrity to your 70+ years of irrelevance any day. If I were you...I'd do like BJ did and turn 'em loose. Man you'll end up suicidal if you try to watch Vandy football for the next 50 years. Heck, I wouldn't doubt BJ is not getting his orange and white ready to go now. It's much much more fun to win and support a winning program. Check us out...come on over to the orange and white side.

ncvol17 writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

Dude, you are right in one thing. Vandy is smart enough to keep cashing the checks from others success. Every year their share of the SEC cash is their pot o gold. Doing virtually nothing but being a punching bag for the SEC and cashing the checks. Well done Vandy, well done...Let's go out there and be 2-10 again. Ah Shucks Robbie, ah shucks

VolGrad writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

I'd take Robert Meachum over Earl Bennett.

in response to oskie_score:

Now this young man is a TRUE Vol!

A good read for those interested...

Stay healthy Tauren and reap what you sow!

Good luck!

Thanks for the link, oskie! Poole has been pretty much in the background as far as most of us fans are concerned. We knew he had talent and many of us also thought he was getting the short end of the stick last year, but I'm not sure many of us knew what an unselfish, team-oriented guy he was. Light 'em up, Tauren! Show everybody what you got!