Hamilton: Possibility exists of letter of inquiry from NCAA

The possibility of receiving a letter of inquiry to investigate Tennessee for NCAA violations still exists.

It doesn’t appear to be in the mail yet, though.

An ESPN.com story citing a source Friday indicated the Vols were expecting an official letter, though UT athletic director Mike Hamilton clarified the circumstances in an impromptu meeting with a handful of media on Friday.

“I think, based upon what I know right now, that there’s a possibility we will get a letter of inquiry,” Hamilton said.

“We’ve not had one yet, and as I acknowledged earlier, we’ve publicly acknowledged that the NCAA has been looking into some potential allegations during Coach (Lane) Kiffin’s time here. Obviously at this point there hasn’t been a conclusion to that. We’ll see, but I think that is a possibility.”

That outcome is nothing new, and in some ways UT has had the same expectation since contact with the NCAA was made last year relating to possible improper use of hostesses in recruiting under Kiffin during his one season.

Holdovers from that staff — Lance Thompson and Jim Chaney — were questioned by the NCAA last spring and ESPN.com confirmed that former UT assistant Eddie Gran had been as well, though whether UT is being investigated for more than the Orange Pride issue could not be addressed specifically by Hamilton.

UT has not self-reported any additional violations by Kiffin past the six that have been made public. New coach Derek Dooley has a clean record of compliance since taking over the Vols in January, according to Hamilton.

“They originally came to us to talk to us about allegations related to the hostess situation last fall,” Hamilton said. “I don’t know the specifics of their lines of questioning with the folks that they’ve talked to, but I’m sure once the NCAA begins to look into anything, certainly everything is fair game in terms of their line of questioning.

“I’m not privy to that specific information, but I would imagine if they had knowledge or reason to believe there might have been things to question, certainly they would be doing that.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

mallardbayvol writes:

I bet Kiffin will get us some kind of NCAA slap down and be laughing at us all the way from USC. He personally is the one who should be punished, monetarily, banned from coaching, something, for his corrupt stay here. Secondly, Mike Hamilton should carry the lions share of the blame for this as well. He did a great job with Pearl, but, handled the Fulmer ouster poorly and made a horrendous hire in Kiffin. He had better pray that Dooley does well, quickly or Fulmer could have his job in the near future.

whistlinwingman writes:

No shocker here! Hope it gets resumed quickly. Get ready USC your probation and troubles are just beginning.

tnsportsman writes:

THAT LIAR LAME SURFER DUDE SOB! Please give me a wake up after this IDIOT is gone from College Football!

I hope USC let's Liar Lame conduct and speak at the NCAA Appeal, ROFLMAO!

Al Davis, I'm so sorry I ever doubted you my man!

Tennessee will be OK, we have Mr. Clean CDD at the helm now!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to allVolinGA:

There's something called institutional control. The ncaa expects the institution - read Mike Hamilton - to supervise the coaches and make sure they are not breaking the rules. If this turns into ncaa sanctions, Hamilton is on the hotseat, not just Kiffin.

CCLC writes:

" Tennessee acknowledged it committed at least six secondary violations during Kiffin’s tenure. The NCAA said the large number of secondary recruiting violations could warrant classification as a major violation.

One source said “a ton of people” have been interviewed regarding Tennessee’s recruiting methods, including recruits who signed with Tennessee to play for Kiffin."

Vol fans, just remember to tell yourselves it’s all part of the plan. 6 months after Lame watched the mattresses smoldering in his rear view mirror and still making headlines. Hiring Lame is kinda like trying to score with the beautiful coed and finally dating her only to break up a week later and then realize it burns when you pee.

DekanGator writes:

Lane Kiffin, And the hits just keep Onnnn coming.

VOLFANnVA writes:

LANE KIFFIN SUCKS!!!!!!!!

RR writes:

OUCH.

sampears writes:

in response to CCLC:

ok thats funny right there I dont care who you are!....LOL....wait was she a bonde..about 5' 7"....OMG!

Jason55 writes:

So what is the story....... I saw something on ESPN a bit ago... saying UT "would" come under a NCAA investigation....... This could get really bad..... And yes, Lane is a bad seed....

Jason55 writes:

Lane's "recruiting" bimbos will bit the Vols on the butt....

SGTSpurge writes:

There was a lame poster commenting on another GVX article, stating that if we had kept the above mentioned FHC, then we would have had a National Championship within two years. I somehow find that very hard to believe. I mean, with six secondary violations in just a year, we would have had a major violation within two years. After all, the NCAA said that a significant number of secondary violations could constitute a major violation. I don't think it would have taken the FHC and his crew too much longer to rack up such a number of secondary violations. Then again, he might've had a couple of major violations. With the way he and his staff were going, the only NC we would've won would've been National Champions of NCAA violations...I'm just saying... .

txsvol#372416 writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Do you mean that she will show the NCAA investigators around campus? LOL, SAVol

txsvol#372416 writes:

Or, do you mean that she'll show them exactly what she did to entice recruits? SAVol

CCLC writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

Thanks PL3- always nice to be appreciated. Nothing wrong with humor as long as it doesn't cross the line. But, to be honest anything bad happening in Knoxville scares the heck outta me anymore. Georgia just can't stand to be upstaged and goes outta their way to out do the Vols when it comes to negative press.
just sayin'

jjsteel writes:

Did he not claim to score 100 on the NCAA rule book..??

99gator writes:

in response to allVolinGA:

remember, hamilton was upset when kiffin left.

Psychovol writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

Wrong! Hammy is responsible for his subordinates just like the rest of us with supervisory jobs. When the secondary violations were piling up he could have laid down the law but he was still enamoured with wonder boy.

vol94 writes:

in response to ForeverRockyFlop:

Please elaborate the details about Pearl, etc.
DO you know something or someone or just your opinion?

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Thanks for being FIRST on this one, WD!! Comments of to a good start!!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to tnsportsman:

I hope USC let's Liar Lame conduct and speak at the NCAA Appeal, ROFLMAO!

Al Davis, I'm so sorry I ever doubted you my man!

Tennessee will be OK, we have Mr. Clean CDD at the helm now!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

As always, good to hear from you, tnsportman..We will be OK..No worries.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to KatManDewVol:

Hey KatMan, I know we didn't see eye-to-eye a few days ago, but I am backing you up on this one.

abnermc writes:

"Does he know something"? Are you kidding? His I.Q. is abt 20.

SGTSpurge writes:

in response to ForeverRockyFlop:

Hey forevercockyflops...nobody on here really cares what you say. If you have credible evidence to support your claims about CBP, then post some links or other evidence. Otherwise, please kindly exit our board.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Hey WD..Please put a spell on ForeverFlopMan because he isn't welcome on here.

vol94 writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Ok, I figured as much.

WD, I cannot recall if it was a blog or a post on the internet but it was stated (again not sure- probably a rumor) that Bryce Brown was involved with the hostesses and supposedly his father told Dooley and Co. to release him or else.... Again, probably a rumor but man I am really concerned about this.. I have a bad feeling we will regret more than ever the Kiffin hire and only hope BB doesn't haunt us.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to vol94:

Please elaborate the details about Pearl, etc.
DO you know something or someone or just your opinion?

vol94, He has been running his mouth for a long time on the Pearl issue..I think if Bruce was guilty of something, the NCAA would have found it already..He's been here for 5 years...Pay this jerk no mind.

vol94 writes:

in response to ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog:

thanks for the heads up.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to vol94:

thanks for the heads up.

Anytime!!

ktm589 writes:

My guess is it has something to do with Bryce Brown.

Bloodrunzorange writes:

in response to Psychovol:

I think Hammy is a stand up guy. This could cause him to loose his job. He has done good and bad. This will get pinned on Hammy in the end. And that POS kitten said he left the program in better shape than when he arrived. Old Foot in Mouth Kitten! Ickday edhay!!! GBO!!!

vol94 writes:

in response to ktm589:

My guess is it has something to do with Bryce Brown.

Hope not.. See my earlier post. That is what I read few weeks ago.. I Just can't recall if it was a blog or someone's opinion. I had/have a bad feeling about him, even when we committed to UT. Hope I am wrong and it has nothing to do with BB but.........

rudy123 writes:

I think the NCAA will poop and snoop around and then finally give up. I doudt that there is any real stuff out there though. However; had Kiffin
remained here, he would break the rules in an effort to get recruits from FLorida, Alabama, Georgia and LSU. With him abandoning us, we actually came out ahead. It was a close call though.......

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to mallardbayvol:

Someone might get Hamilton's job, but it won't be Fulmer, so you can get that idea out of your head. And yes, the Fulmer ouster was handled badly. It should have happened 5 years sooner

orangevolman writes:

I'm just glad LK is gone, and that he took Mongo with him.

Now, if only we could get rid of the trollers.

CCLC writes:

in response to ForeverRockyFlop:

let it go ...you're not fun anymore.

CCLC writes:

Make no mistake: This is also aimed squarely at Mike Hamilton. Did he even make a token gesture last year to tell Kiffin to STFU? The fact that he still has a job is mind-boggling, but I think Tennessee should keep him;-). This probably goes back to “lack of institutional control” since Hamilton did little, if anything, to reign in Kiffin, After Kiffin basically held up his middle finger to the NCAA before he left. The powers-that-be, as overwhelmed as they are, just tucked that stuff away for a rainy day. I think the forecast calls for flash floods…

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to ForeverRockyFlop:

FACTS??? REALLY?? You not given us one SPECIFIC FACT about CBP, just vague information as usual..Nothing new.

bornonamoutaintop writes:

in response to allVolinGA:

So let me get this strait. He took players ran off more and took coaches.Is there nothing in the coach's contracts that say they will be forced to give back any money due to detremental behavior that may surface after they leave or while present? It seems they just leave with the school and future players to pay the bill. If Hamilton made a big mistake worth firing it would be the contracts he approved that would let them leave scott free.

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

People are so funny, or maybe just naive with misplaced passion.

If the NCAA had something real, they would serve it. If they have received something perceived to be real and investigating, then it could be anything. To jump to conclusion is simply silly.

If the rumor stated here is true, that this is somehow coming out of Bryce Browns camp, then Dooley should stick to his guns and say bring it!

If I was a new coach, I would NOT want to play along any further with past transgressions.

I would tell them come clean all you want, because you will be talking about the past coach, and I'm not going to be a part of your b.s.

If it does prove to be true then Dooley would be signing his own termination papers as a coach to continue to help cover it up, or be any part of past violations.

Hamilton may have been eager to have a hot young coach. He may be guilty of playing along a bit too long, but you can never convince any sane person someone in his position would want to be an IDIOT and place ignorance ahead of basic business 101.

VolFanNC writes:

This is Hammy's fault for hiring him in the first place. Ed O came with baggage, LK came with baggage. So if you hire those guys you take your chances.

on the other hand, this will blow over by Monday, just slow news day. They have been looking at this for a while. I expect a few months from now we will hear something again.

RJ_Vol writes:

in response to CCLC:

Ditto...

W/ our number of unfilled scholarships and our low probability at a bowl game, we are on probation already for all intents and purposes. One has to wonder if the NCAA finds Lane guilty here after his problems at USC(the first time), you have to wonder if he may indeed be targeted at USC if this goes. Really, they should suspend him from the league. I bet that new AD won't need much arm twisting to cut that blowhard loose.

RJ_Vol writes:

Fear the Kiffin...He'll get you put on probation.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to ForeverRockyFlop:

Geez..That's funny(not literally) because we have not heard one thing about this whatever the h@ll you are talking about..Around here, news gets out pretty fast when a sports coach has done something.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to DukeDeLuca:

So anyone that supports the new coaching staff is drinking koolaid??? okay..whatever!!

SEC__Headgear writes:

The 26 lawyers UT had working on NCAA stuff during the 90's should have reviewed the Kif contract. Had there been some hooks in that contract, Kif could never have done this damage. Now it's time to hire some new council to get proper closure through negotiation with the authorities. Alabama type denial will only make things worse. MH continues to fail on the legal side of the business. BOOBA BOOGA BOOGA

vols345 writes:

in response to tnsportsman:

I hope USC let's Liar Lame conduct and speak at the NCAA Appeal, ROFLMAO!

Al Davis, I'm so sorry I ever doubted you my man!

Tennessee will be OK, we have Mr. Clean CDD at the helm now!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

Bud I have been a Vols fans since 3rd grade. USC fans made the same statement that you just made. We are USC. We are UT. Yes they are USC and the NCAA laid the smack down on LiL Lame. No I don't think this will mount to much but who knows.

SGTSpurge writes:

So, is there anything that CBP should be concerned about? I want to know and I want to hear from someone who has creditible information...as in not ForeverCockyFlops, or whatever his name is.

Also, this latest news is similar, in some respects, to the news that came out of WVU on yesterday. A good for nothing coach breaks rules at one school, then leaves that school to clean up the mess. Meanwhile, said good for nothing coach breaks rules at the new school. If there are any WVU fans on here, all I can say is this Vols fan feels your pain... .

UTVOLSRROCKN writes:

in response to vols345:

Speaking of USC...read where 2 players got into a major brawl after practice yesterday...one of them is having surgery. Lil Lame was not there but later quoted something like..." it was a poor example of leadership...etc.." Hahaha..that coming out of HIS mouth????

As far as this article, we knew it was coming...as some of you always say...Nothing new here folks, move along.... GBO!!!!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

Don't pay any attention to ForeverFlopMan because you are right..He is not credible, no matter what he says....The only reason I respond to him is because I don't like his trashing of CBP..I have a lot of respect for CBP and what he has done for the bball program the last five years.