UT announces checkerboard license plate

The Tennessee athletics department recently announced plans for a new Tennessee license plate, which features the Vols trademark “power T” and the “checkerboard” design.

The athletics department has already begun accepting pre-orders for the new license plates. In order for the state to begin producing the plates, 1,000 pre-orders must be sold.

“This is another tremendous partnership between the state of Tennessee and our Institution,” Mark Ingram, associate athletic director for development, said. “We are very grateful that this opportunity for our fans to show their love and support will also have a positive effect on our athletics program.”

The specialty plates cost $35 and to order fans should mail a check, payable to UT, for that amount to the address below. Personalized specialty plates are also available for $70 and must be three to five characters.

Along with a check fans should include the name, phone number, address, city, county and zip code of the person to whom the vehicle is registered.

All proceeds of these new specialty plates benefit the University of Tennessee.

TO ORDER, SEND ABOVE INFORMATION TO THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS:

University of Tennessee

Attn: Checkerboard License Plate

PO Box 15016

Knoxville, TN 37901

RockyTop1_old writes:

Wish I could get one to drive in Alabama!

orangecountyvols writes:

This is a sore subject with me. Are you ready for this? Here in Virginia, you see license plates with these schools on them, just to name a few. Rutgers, Texas A & M, Appalachian State, Penn State etc. Do you think those schools are closer to Virginia than Tennessee? I can see Va Tech, W & M, JMU, Richmond etc........they are state schools.
The Va DMV gave me a runaround answer. Said, you have to have 250 requests approved by the state legislature. Rutgers for instance, has 250 alumni and special requests in Virginia?????
Baloney. I will never understand why you can't include Tennessee on Virginia plates.........a border state with many alumni and fans, especially in Southwest Virginia. Sorry for the fussing, just it makes no sense.

vol94 writes:

Yeah, I agree. I grew up in Roanoke, VA and there are a ton of alumni in VA. I guarantee there are over 1000 VA citizens that would register for UT plates in the first day.

Not sure why VA won't allow Ut plates... VA was in the top 5 in personal license plates three years ago, so one would think the state would allow it..

crob7x writes:

I'm not surprised that a prestigious university like Rutgers has many alumni in the D.C. area, whether they originated in Virginia or elsewhere.

You likely need the commitments from a minimum number in any state for any cause. Help mobilize your regional alumni chapter.

orangecountyvols writes:

Thanks, Vol 94

You understand. Really irks the heck out of me when you see a car with Virginia tags and at the bottom the logo for some school like Texas A & M on them.

I have complained at least twice to the DMV and gotten a song and dance reply.

orangecountyvols writes:

Tell you what I did..........I put a small ORANGE T on each of my license plates in protest. They are still there. BTW, in Virginia, you have to have tags on each end of your car..........cannot have a big T on the front as Tennesseans can.

Rutgers? Perhaps........ but how do you get Appalachian State, Penn State, I think even FSU etc, as opposed to the large amount of requests that could be made from Vol fans? Wonder if you need to go through U T itself to do it, other than a national alumni assoc?

crob7x writes:
bemami writes:

naflov writes:

We are now about to have Tennessee plates in Texas. The Dallas Alumni club helped work push it through.

MikeTheTiger writes:

Guess those 1998 national championship tags can go on antique vehicles now.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to MikeTheTiger:

Guess those 1998 national championship tags can go on antique vehicles now.

The last time I checked,the'98 championship still counts...Just sayin'..

elbtenn#502977 writes:

in response to RockyTop1_old:

Wish I could get one to drive in Alabama!

Yeah me too, but you know Alabubba!

fshnhol writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Hey orangecounty, I know exactly what you are saying....I live in Virginia also. I had the same exact talk with DMV. It really dont make any sense. Here we border Tennessee, but cant get a liscense plate with Tennessee on it.

SEC__Headgear writes:

$$$$$$$$$
Who Cares?
It does not compare to football success. That's where the real $$$$$$$ for future success comes from. Any and every state will take your money to advertise your feelings, except maybe Virginia who apparently insists on certain feelings.

ZTaylor writes:

Living in Florida everything is Orange and Blue. YUCK!

I think I will have my FIL who lives in E.TN to order one, keep it for a year then go back to the regular tag and give me the checker board for the front of my motor home..

Looks like a plan to me!

Couchdummy writes:

WHOGAS? Seems like there are better things to worry about!

FatherVol writes:

in response to WEAREBETTERTHANVANDY:

Perhaps you should have gone to Vandy for remedial spelling. It's "congratulations," my friend.

KennesawVol writes:

We have UT license plates now in Georgia. It took the Atlanta Chapter of the UT Alumni Association almost 2 years to get them approved and processed. Proud to have 2 of 'em on my cars.

mparrott5904#651590 writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

They do need 1,000 pre-orders in order to print them. So, sign up.

Classof72 writes:

If there's time for a re-design, the 'Power-T' needs to have a white, not checkerboard, background, so it can be clearly seen. Let's do it right. Just don't have any Orange squares in the two center rows left of the vertical 'TV' letters. That's leaving 3 partial Orange squares white. It'll look much stronger that way. To test, mock up some designs and see how far away one can see the 'Power-T'. JMHO. Go Big Orange!