Dooley not afraid to show displeasure

UT head coach Derek Dooley during practice at Haslam Field on Saturday, Aug. 7, 2010.

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

With the opening weekend of fall camp over, what is your biggest concern with the Vols?

See the results »

View previous polls »

The pads went on for Tennessee, but the gloves came off for Derek Dooley.

The Vols coach apparently didn't get the attention to detail he was expecting during a workout Sunday afternoon, and he had no problems letting his team know about it.

Getting animated or extremely vocal might not be Dooley's ideal method of operation, but he clearly has it in his repertoire after tearing into UT's players following their first practice in full gear.

"I told them after practice, there's high expectations on everything we do," Dooley said. "I don't care if it's the player, the trainer, the coach, the manager, the video guy, the facilities - it doesn't matter. We have high expectations where we demand perfection. When we don't meet those expectations, we're not looking the other way. We're going to confront them and get it right.

"We all need to put those expectations on ourselves. Doesn't mean we're (not) going to make mistakes. In order for us to get where we need to be, that's what it takes - a total commitment to excellence in everything we do. When we say, 'Don't flip your hips until you cross the line,' if you continue to not do it the right way, then either you're not smart so you can't play, or you don't care. It's one or the other."

Dooley didn't really dive into specific areas of concern or single out players, though senior receiver Gerald Jones indicated some problems on special teams might have drawn the wrath from the first-year coach.

But no matter who or what it was, the message was clearly delivered to the Vols.

"He's all about perfection, so if we don't do it right then he's going to let us know about it," Jones said. "That was the worst I've seen him so far, I'm pretty sure.

"You know, I don't think intensity or anything is a problem. I think it's discipline and doing exactly what they tell us to do. If we make a mistake, he don't like it and he'll let us know about it. If you let a puppy bite you, he'll grow to be a dog and bite you. So if you allow the young cats to do it now, they're going to do the same thing. To establish what he's about is a good thing for us."

He delivered it in a way that was hard to ignore on Sunday, though he would seem to prefer a more subtle approach.

He's proved to be a hands-on coach during practice, sprinting from drill to drill and jumping in a few as a defensive end or cornerback. Dooley also has been quick to praise players who catch his eye, but he can get vocal another way, as well.

"I don't come out here prepared to act a certain way," Dooley said. "We had to get a little feisty out there, and I don't like doing that.

"It's not really my style."

It's now obvious to the Vols that it's there when Dooley needs it.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Vol4Keeps writes:

Way to go Coach!

BigOrangeSmoker writes:

Good job coach i like what im seeing,we expect perfection thats great keep up the good work,Go Vols

VolsINFan writes:

I am glad that we have articles to read about the progress of the team, but I am even more glad that in 26 days the Vols will take the field and whip on UT-Martin. Hopefully that will be the first step to putting a lot of the past 21 months behind our program.

Go Vols!

volvann writes:

Good job CDH!! Keep the guys in line.. Keep working them hard, cause Oregon. FL and AL are all lickin' their chops with a shot a hurtin the Vols. But hey they may be in for a surprise.
Bleedin orange all day from me... GBO

nocleats writes:

Perfect practice makes perfect plays... One from John Majors book. Fundamentals matter

Hounddog writes:

Brick by brick. Hounddog

92volalum writes:

the first time in 25 yrs i have no idea how good or bad we'll be this year.... would like to think we could win 8 games.. we used to win 8 showing up and should have won 8 last year expect Coach LK went south on the play calling the last 4 plays of the ucla game.....

GBO!!!!

elbtenn#502977 writes:

Little Nick!

Southland writes:

in response to 92volalum:

GBO!!!!

Kiffin got out coached from begging to end in the UCLA game. Sad game. Wished I could forget our last two against UCLA

clvolfan writes:

in response to jrod:

Didn't that sound just like one of the Jone's boys?

nocleats writes:

Classic stuff! Making them own it!

Huttdawg100 writes:

Discipline and attention to detail are the first steps to success. Keep it up coach!

SouthALVol writes:

Dooley is probably gonna be hoarse by the end of this year. BUT I watched the 1982 Bama game highlights on the FanZone the other night and got chills remembering that game in person. We weren't too good that year either and beat Bama for the first time in 11 years. It's possible...

TurfToe writes:

The more I see and hear about CDD, the more I like. I think he is exactly what our university needs. GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BeVOLy writes:

Immediate feedback is important. Listen to the coach, team. Can't wait to see you play. Go Vols!

volfanmo writes:

"He's proved to be a hands-on coach..."
proven*
don't you write for a living?

volfanmo writes:

in response to volfanmo:

"He's proved to be a hands-on coach..."
proven*
don't you write for a living?

haha i read it backwards and then corrected it backwards. my bad KNS

UTbassdrummer writes:

I watched part of this practice. CDD was kind
of awesome. He was fiery and in faces, but
in a motivating and smart way. I was shocked
to see him like that. Really intense.

Vol_in_VA writes:

This shouldn't be a shocker to anybody. He did the same thing at Louisiana Tech. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjvODj...

WinkeyVol writes:

I love the Tilley hat. Wish mine had the ORANGE on it. Fire Up Big Vols!

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

Okay, something I'm good at...the counter argument.

UT has, what, 27 assistant coaches, grad assts, and so forth?? THESE the second-line commanders. The first-line commanders are the seniors, the QB's, and the LB's. CDD is, in effect, a general.

I'm not saying he shouldn't chew butt, or be picky on selected things. I'm not at practice, so I don't know all the details....but what I AM saying is this: you can have a perfectly formed battle line, every man in perfect step, guns held just right...and the entire unit can be wiped out by one machine gun (World War I reference).

In other words, CDD's main job is to determine the big picture, the tactics to win ball games. If he's confidant in his tactics, then he can move on to the details.

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

Oh, and BTW:
my first order of biz if I'm an SEC head cocah?? NO facial hair, NO hair sticking out the helmet.

We had that rule in junior high, and I hated it. But, lemme tell you, I hate the 'predator' look even more.

OrangeinCarolina2 writes:

Man,am I ever excited about football season! NOthing I enjoy more than cheering for the Vols. Coach Dooley is instilling work ethic and commitment to excellence in these athletes. Hang around VolNation- great things lie ahead. GO VOLS!

volsfannsc writes:

in response to always_vol:

Oh, and BTW:

I liked your first post, but this???????
What the #@%$?
Ever heard of Troy Polamalu? I'll take 11 of him on defense any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
I'd like to tink we have bigger fish to fry than to worry about hair.

TitanandVolfan4life writes:

Dress code and personal appearance code instills discipline and personal pride in players.

I'll have no problem if CDD decides to put something like that in place but I doubt he would make players cut their hair or shave their beards.

Personal accountability and the constant demand for excellence in every facet and on every play will become trademarks that get well known from CDD and our Vols football team and that's a great and important step in the right direction.

Our Diesel Dooley is on the right road and pushing forward and I love it!!!

GO BIG ORANGE!!!

richvol writes:

Dooley's anger at the special teams play is long overdue from a Tennessee coach. The effort has almost always been there for Tennessee but the discipline has been so lax in the accountability of doing your job properly that we have been horrible in the kicking game for years. I am so glad that we finally have a coach that won't accept anything less than doing it right instead of clapping his hands at screwups. Discipline wins football games...and many times over superior talent.

brokebackvol writes:

CDD impresses the HECK outta me (H/T to agentorange)

gnm53108 writes:

in response to FLVOL79:

As long as it's not a bounce pass.

rootin4volz writes:

Smack some sense into 'em if you have to, coach!

govols81 writes:

I want the hat he's wearing. I'm just glad it's not a visor.

DaddyVol writes:

in response to always_vol:

Oh, and BTW:

And while you are at it, I think you should shave your butt.

DaddyVol writes:

in response to naffy:

Great idea. We need some tackling D-U-M-M-I-E-S

DaddyVol writes:

in response to UTbassdrummer:

I watched part of this practice. CDD was kind
of awesome. He was fiery and in faces, but
in a motivating and smart way. I was shocked
to see him like that. Really intense.

So if you are a UT Bass Drummer, why was the Pride of the Southland Band so short on people last year?

Will they have their numbers back up this season?

tnsportsman writes:

Big Orange Fans,

CDD is in the 'mode of operations' something he learned very well over 7 years from Saban. It seems to me after several conversations with CDD he has a great personality, is likeable and a gentleman; traits Saban doesn't have. The good things he took from Saban is his great on the field coaching and training methods.

You Go CDD! Get in their face and coach them to where you want them to be! Break them down and build them back up to Champions!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

Gee, more expert analysis from the poser.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to volfanmo:

"He's proved to be a hands-on coach..."
proven*
don't you write for a living?

Have you ever made a mistake while performing your job?

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to volfanmo:

haha i read it backwards and then corrected it backwards. my bad KNS

He is proved to be a hands on coach.
He has proven it many times.
He will prove it again.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

He is proved to be a hands on coach.
He has proven it many times.
He will prove it again.

Well,I guess that proves it.

OrangePride writes:

in response to orangeluvr:

That pretty much says it all. If you know anything about Lombardi, you know that tact and soft spoken were not his coaching style. But it sure got results. Dooley does well to take a page from that playbook. GBO!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to richvol:

I agree....I always hated it when a certain coach always clapped his hands when the Vols made a mistake..That doesn't even begin to help fix the mistake, and if anything it made things worse because the players didn't learn from it.. A coach is supposed to let his players have it when a mistake takes place...That's one of is jobs as a coach, and I'm sure CDD will do just that.

fordboys12 (Inactive) writes:

in response to always_vol:

Oh, and BTW:

Agree 100%! Need to cut all ties with the "THUG University" look and actions.

This could be "change and hope" for Big Orange fans to believe in!

UTbassdrummer writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

Nobody thinks he's the only coach yelling. The
point is that people have been concerned that
our new coach is too soft, and this was our
first glimpse of his capability to drive a practice.
I guess you would be the expert on why
Football teams lose, Vgrad. Thanks for the
insight. I hope you enjoy another year of
questionable inclusion in Division I NCAA
Football.
Vandygrad.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to govols81:

I want the hat he's wearing. I'm just glad it's not a visor.

I just said the very same thing to my husband and he just kinda looked at me..I don't know if that is good or bad..LOL!!

oldskewlorange writes:

where can i see a 2010 football roster or depth chart at...? there is not a link to either one that i can find

AugVol writes:

in response to Vol_in_VA:

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but a little head-slapping doesn't hurt anything and it certainly gets the slapee's attention. (Not sure if slapee is a word, but hopefully you get my meaning). CDD got criticized over that video if I'm not mistaken. I don't see any problem as long as he gets his point across and it doesn't cause a concussion. :)

TommyJack writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

Gee. How profound. No one else would have ever thought of that.

VolGrad writes:

in response to always_vol:

Okay, something I'm good at...the counter argument.

There's probably only 1400 ways for a head coach to go about fulfilling "his job" demands. I like the fire I see in Dooley. If the head coach is laid back in his actions with the team, it requires that the OC and DC be more vocal, disciplinarian types. Perfection has to be demanded by someone. I loved CPF, but without Coach Cut and his disciplined style, it killed me everytime we failed to execute a play to see CPF just sort'a grimace and walk away. It was rare that he would go up and get into a guys face - that was reserved basically for when a player committed some dumb unsportsmanlike penalty.

CDD has to be himself, and this is what we are seeing. I do not doubt in the least his ability to evaluate the bigger picture, analyze the details and bring it all together to achieve success. In the meantime, it is nice to see him setting the tone for the coaching staff and the team about the need for perfection in the details.

As for your analogy, without the attention to details... which is actually a result of being disciplined, the battle plan, tactics or strategy won't matter a whole lot. The foundation of an army is discipline. That is where CDD has to start with this team and with this staff. It is the first year of his administration, and it is only natural that he be more involved with those details right now.

Go Vols!

99gator writes:

coaching will not be the problem at tennessee in 2010.

boroviathaochvolsfan writes:

Great story and attitude CDD!!! I can not wait to watch these Vols this year....one thing if we are goo or bad I just hope they are disciplined and well coaches because the only thing worst than getting beat is getting beat by ourselves...

whistlinwingman writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

Have you ever made a mistake while performing your job?

I'm sure he has, but he corrected his mistake in a following post.