Darren Myles likely to be released after today's plea deal over brawl, club fracas

Darren Myles

Darren Myles

Former University of Tennessee safety Darren Myles Jr. apologized Thursday for “my poor decisions” after entering into a plea bargain that not only spares him any jail time but also gives him the chance to wipe his record clean — if he can stay out of legal trouble for the next two years.

Myles, 19, was charged with assaulting a UT Police Department officer, evading arrest and resisting arrest following a brawl on Cumberland Avenue on July 9. He was already facing charges of disorderly conduct, public intoxication and resisting arrest for causing a disturbance in the parking lot of a West Knoxville nightclub just hours after the April 17 Orange and White game.

The assault charge against Myles and a disorderly conduct charge from the earlier incident were dismissed Thursday in Knox County General Sessions Court, said John Gill, special counsel to Knox County District Attorney General Randy Nichols.

Myles, who was kicked off the team after his second arrest, was given judicial diversion on the remaining charges, which means the allegations will be expunged from his record if he keeps out of trouble for two years, Gill said.

Myles also will have to take an alcohol education class and pay court costs, Gill said. He had already performed 48 hours of community service in anticipation of pleading guilty to the charges from the first incident.

“I regret my poor decisions that I made while I was at the University of Tennessee,” Myles said in a written statement. “I am sorry, and I realize that my choices affected, and continue to affect, my former teammates, Coach, the University and the fans on many levels.

“I have learned some tough life lessons from this experience, and will continue to use it as a learning opportunity. I am looking forward to my continued career in academics and football . . . I hope that you will forgive me for my mistakes, and I wish everyone the best.”’

Myles likely will be released from his scholarship and be allowed to transfer without restrictions. He has already been dismissed from the team by UT coach Derek Dooley.

Asked about Thursday’s developments and Myles’ possible release, Dooley said: “I don’t know anything about it. He hasn’t come and asked me for one. This isn’t going to be a drama deal, I can assure you. There will be a release.”

Myles’ attorney, Don Bosch, didn’t answer questions Thursday but suggested in a press release that Myles hopes to enroll at another school and continue playing football.

“He is a fine young man from a good family, and I am confident he has a bright future in front of him in academics, football and in life,” Bosch said.

Myles was one of two UT football players arrested after the July fracas at Bar Knoxville, 1820 Cumberland Ave. During a foot chase, Myles struck UTPD Cpl. Brian Greenlee in the face when he “slipped out” of the officer’s grip, according to court records.

Greenlee didn’t require medical treatment, and Bosch said Thursday that both sides agreed the encounter between Myles and Greenlee didn’t constitute an assault.

“Our investigation determined there was not an assault committed by Darren Myles throughout the course of the evening and the parties appropriately agreed that this case should be dismissed,” Bosch said.

A UT spokeswoman confirmed that campus police had agreed with dropping the assault charge but referred further questions to the DA’s office.

Gill said the evidence in the case showed “the assault charge was related to him struggling to get away” from Greenlee, which led prosecutors to drop the assault charge in favor of pursuing the resisting arrest charge.

“We couldn’t convict him of both” because both charges were for the same incident, Gill said.

J.J. Stambaugh may be reached at 865-342-6307.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

nocleats writes:

There you go.

d_ray writes:

So, if you are a UT football player or former player, you can get away with assaulting an officer of the law and resisting arrest? Justice .... what justice! If this were plain John Smith, he would be in jail for a year.

peacedog05 writes:

So crime does pay? Evidently it does sometimes.

BigOrangeFreak writes:

These guys are getting off too damn light (and I mean, athletes in general, not just the UT variety). Granted, Coach Dooley did the right thing by kicking this guy's butt off the team, but the courts need to send a message also.

No wonder nobody learns jacksh@#t from these incidents. No deterrance, no threat of consequenses. We make excuses for them from the time they exhibit the slightest bit of talent in high school all the way through their pro careers.

See y'all next off season at the scene of our next Bar Knoxville Brawl (if its not closed by then).

spencer1989#206886 writes:

If you look at his record alone, then he will violate his probation period within six months. He doesn't appear to have learned anything from the April event because stupid over took him again in July. Hopefully this young man will learn from his two stupid mistakes and realize he is facing his third strike if he gets in trouble again.

peacedog05 writes:

in response to workinlikehek:

I guess you have different information than almost everyone else then. He pleaded guilty to a lot more than fleeing from police, meaning he admitted to doing those crimes. Huh, wonder why?

PotatoHead writes:

Wasn't he in trouble before this incident? Maybe it was only a team rules violation.

No wonder these guys act like jerks - there is never any consequences to speak of.

gnm53108 writes:

Without knowing his involvement I cant say if this was justice or not.

Coach Dooley kicked em off the team but the guy "could" have a clean record?

There's alot athletes that are playing colege ball that dont have clean records.

I know I am glad we have coach Dooley and not coach Nutt.

heyitsme writes:

in response to d_ray:

Not really d_ray, it has nothing to do with whether you are a UT player or former player, the judicial system is filled with biases and inequities...

I encourage you to look at the entire judicial system, not just micro-segments. Instead of 'financial reform', this government needs to overhaul the judicial system. But that's a topic that doesn't need to be discussed here.

BrassMonkey writes:

Sign him back up and put him on the field.

thevoice writes:

in response to VOODOOley:

Don't you know the assaultees are feeling pretty good today. Man I love this justice system.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to BigOrangeFreak:

If only Dooley had done the right thing after the April incident maybe this other incident wouldnt have happened. No suspension for Myles for resisting arrest. Losing playing time is the one thing that hurts these athletes the most and sends a message to the other players. I hope Dooley has learned that now.
As far as the legal consequences, I think he got what most average citizens would have. Does Ole Miss need a safety?

oskie_score writes:

To those posts above---let's NOT assume (facts) shall we??

The assault charge against Myles was for the slap/shove to the face of the pursuing officer as Myles attempted to flee the scene.

No ONE person has yet to be singled out (by KDP or DA office) for assaulting the officer who had to be admitted to the hospital.
I find it perplexing that KPD (having camera surveillance from nearby businesses) is STILL unable to determine if the officer was kicked in the head OR if his condition was due hitting his head on the concrete when he fell.

DM is getting a second chance (if he does not violate probation) here's hoping that he realizes how fortunate he is and makes the best of it.

VolGrad writes:

Think whatever you want about whether this is justice or not, but don't act so naive as to think or state that he is getting off "scott free." That is insane. And the "no harm, no foul" comment doesn't even make any sense here. There was harm, and there is a foul. And making it sound like DM was the one lone cause for the injuries suffered by the two victims is irresponsible, akin to a mob mentality.

Darren Myles, Jr. has lost his opportunity to play football at the University of Tennessee. He has greatly damaged his reputation (long term), and will have to travel a much longer path -agreeing to jump through several more hoops- if he wants to continue to pursue playing football. He will have to make some major lifestyle & thought process changes in order to avoid violating probation. He is being given an additional opportunity now (in this early stage of his life) to make the changes he needs to make to turn it around, so that later on... if he fails... it will then be justice to leave no recourse. And if he succeeds..., then the intent of this ruling will have been met; he will be able to help others who may find themselves in a similar situation to turn it around.

orangeman1 writes:

I just thought. Wonder if this plea deal is in exchange for testimony implicating the person who assaulted the man in the bar and the off duty cop? Might not be too long before charges are brought against someone.

flatrock writes:

in response to SECFB:

According to a friend on the KPD, the bouncers pepper-sprayed the group (including the off-duty
officer) and pushed them out the door. Cop and
several of the others stumbled going out the door and were trampled (not kicked after the fact per KNS he-said-she-said report)...As for the guy with 2 black eyes, KPD source says
that Bar Knoxville fights are nightly events
and never get reported- they are told to finish
outside...My family is full of law enforcement
types (from 3 beat cops in Nashville to high-ranking Secret Service officers) so I do not ever condone any harm ever dished out to
cops, but every one of my in-laws say that
the off-duty officer should have called for
the uniforms before ever jumping into the fray.
Be real careful about your finger-pointing
(from behind your keyboard)- my wife has worked
at 2 Division I football programs and I can
assure you there are a lot worse incidents that
happen but never make it to the newspapers.
My money says your favorite program is not much
different!

spencer1989#206886 writes:

in response to PotatoHead:

According to the story....."Myles was already facing charges of disorderly conduct, public intoxication and resisting arrest for causing a disturbance in the parking lot of a West Knoxville nightclub just hours after the April 17 Orange and White game".

iowavol writes:

in response to peacedog05:

Whether he has different information or not, he makes a good point about folks adding 4+X and coming up with an answer. Regardless, folks are filling in the blanks with whatever they "think" the volisms are - definition: volisms - statements of utter conjecture made by vol fans so as to be known facts. We are all guilty of volisms from time to time. In this case, i agree with the other dude, trust the folks in charge that they are doing the right thing - they know a lot more than we do.

atlkevin writes:

in response to JEFEGERONIMO:

Huh? You're saying this guy is NOT getting in trouble because he's not white? You're saying that only white guys would get prosecuted?

You're either blind, naive, or just plain crazy.

iadvol writes:

in response to BrassMonkey:

Sign him back up and put him on the field.

My thoughts exactly!

zipper10 writes:

Wow...nothing like taking responsibility for your actions.
Hopefully, they realize there's no way this child will stay clean for two years and that will just make the next sentencing harsher than what this would've been.

flatrock writes:

in response to SECFB:

Darren Myles was no scapegoat. We know that he had one other serious strike against him. What we do not know is how many other internal strikes he had.
His father, I believe, is a head football coach
in the Atlanta area with many ties to other
coaches, players, etc. Absolutely no reason
to single-out Darren- unless there was more baggage. That's between Darren, his parents and
Derek Dooley- and it is really none of our
business!

Gbovol writes:

It would seem all you naysayers are perfect, have led perfect lives, not even a speeding ticket. The judges have heard from all concerned and if there could have been specfic identification as to who did what, I'm sure the DA and Judge wouldn't have signed off. It appears that they didn't have enough solid evidence and arranged the plea bargin, which most parents hope would happen if their son was involved, whether he played football or the piano. All of us have made mistakes in our lives and have been given second chances. I hope the young man makes the most of his.

UTFISH writes:

Which assault charge? Throwing the elbow to escape arrest? or stomping on the unconcious guy (cop) on the ground?

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Good luck, youngster.

Life is a minefield, some make it, others ...

zipper10 writes:

in response to Gbovol:

Not perfect but sure haven't beaten up a cop and left him in the hospital for days. I guess eye witnesses and physical evidence aren't being counted as solid proof.
And no, I'm sorry but I would hope to teach my children responsibility for actions be it benefits or consequences. AND, if they've done something that bad, they would pay the piper. I would NOT pray for them to get off with a technicality. What then would they have learned?

TommyJack writes:

in response to UTFISH:

Were you there, Fish? Is there evidence he stomped on the officer's head? Totally irresponsible post.

burpee_von_rotweiler_IV writes:

"...assuming he can stay out of trouble for the next two years,..."

That's a very big assumption!

UTFISH writes:

in response to UTFISH:

"No one has been charged in the assaults on either Capouellez or 20-year-old bar patron Gary Russell, who became involved in the initial altercation inside the bar" (from previous article). So no one was ever even charged with assaulting the knocked out cop?

UTFISH writes:

in response to TommyJack:

I was asking what the assault charge was for and mentioned nothing about anyone's head. Totally ignorant post JACK.

gaj619 writes:

in response to flatrock:

officer) and pushed them out the door. Cop and
that Bar Knoxville fights are nightly events
and never get reported- they are told to finish
outside...My family is full of law enforcement
cops, but every one of my in-laws say that
the off-duty officer should have called for
the uniforms before ever jumping into the fray.
Be real careful about your finger-pointing
(from behind your keyboard)- my wife has worked
at 2 Division I football programs and I can
assure you there are a lot worse incidents that
happen but never make it to the newspapers.
My money says your favorite program is not much
different!

My next door neighbor is a former captain with KPD and he reinforces what you are saying. The injured officer should have called for backup. He indicated it is one of the hardest things to teach to the newer officers. They want to jump right in and he says it is almost 100% that it will end up being the wrong thing. As to the assault charge against Myles he indicated that it is not unusual for a suspect to try to pull away from an officer and in doing so to brush their face or body and they are then charged with assaulting an officer. It is also frequently dropped as a charge(the article indicates that this charge was dropped with the approval of both parties). I also have family involved in law enforcement, one of whom was a Captain on the PC Beach police force and served there for 20 plus years. They all indicated that this would turn out just about the way it has. It seems to be over unless KPD comes up with new info per Dooley and KPD seems ready to move on. Move On, That Seems Like A Good Idea.

slipshuck writes:

dooley needs to find a suit for myles....what he did wasn't that bad....the punishment should be handled in house...50 laps around fulmer and sit out the first quarter of ut martin game sounds appropriate to me....go vols....

orangeman1 writes:

in response to tweetdriver63#346474:

You would be wrong . Myles was also charged with resisting arrest in the April incident too. Dooley said at that time that Myles had problems before that incident too, but didnt go into detail so the 1st resisting arrest IMO warranted a suspension, not just running steps. If Dooley wouldve given him stricter consequences then(he is a strict disciplinarian right?)it may have sent message that these athletes understand and fear NOT PLAYING.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to tweetdriver63#346474:

Agree about him getting what anyone else would legally, but you are wrong about resisting arrest being because he ran. That is evading arrest. The resisting came in once he was apprehended and he continued to struggle on the ground and not comply with the officers.

volfaninusaf writes:

in response to flatrock:

officer) and pushed them out the door. Cop and
that Bar Knoxville fights are nightly events
and never get reported- they are told to finish
outside...My family is full of law enforcement
cops, but every one of my in-laws say that
the off-duty officer should have called for
the uniforms before ever jumping into the fray.
Be real careful about your finger-pointing
(from behind your keyboard)- my wife has worked
at 2 Division I football programs and I can
assure you there are a lot worse incidents that
happen but never make it to the newspapers.
My money says your favorite program is not much
different!

Ok, thank god there is someone with some street sense on this site. He didn't do anything to a uniformed officer (although the media and sites continually leave out the phrase "off-duty" to make it look worse). It's a brawl and some guy grabs you - that guys getting jacked up.

TommyJack writes:

in response to UTFISH:

Maybe you should review your first post, FISH.

KINGKONG writes:

in response to flatrock:

officer) and pushed them out the door. Cop and
that Bar Knoxville fights are nightly events
and never get reported- they are told to finish
outside...My family is full of law enforcement
cops, but every one of my in-laws say that
the off-duty officer should have called for
the uniforms before ever jumping into the fray.
Be real careful about your finger-pointing
(from behind your keyboard)- my wife has worked
at 2 Division I football programs and I can
assure you there are a lot worse incidents that
happen but never make it to the newspapers.
My money says your favorite program is not much
different!

Tell them again please!!! I believe we have the most horrible judgemental fans in college football.Facts are in so why question the treatment of the football players.Most of you all dont like the football team and love it when something bad happens so you display your hatred in these posts.Support your team through the good times as well as the bad times.I hate 2faced fans cheer for one of thoses Ivy league football teams if you are looking for class.We dont need your support or your opinions. GO BIG ORANGE FREE MYLES LOL

Ironcity writes:

in response to flatrock:

His father, I believe, is a head football coach
in the Atlanta area with many ties to other
coaches, players, etc. Absolutely no reason
Derek Dooley- and it is really none of our
business!

flatrock you seem to have a good understanding of these things. Which is a lot more then most of us on this board.

maddawg writes:

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to maddawg:

Red panties...

dfreeman writes:

yeah chin up fellow volunteers it's good news day from the recruitment front!!

maddawg writes:

in response to Mule_Days_King:

Red panties...

Contrary to what you and others may think nobody gives a flip about the red panties. Its not an embarressment to the GA program. Would you give a flip if Hamilton was found with a girl and some orange panties. I didn't think so. Anyway, good try although quite lame.

VOLliven2it writes:

No matter what, some will feel he was treated lightly. Personally, I felt he needed to be gone when I heard what he did. Release, I am not so sure it should be that simple with him. No doubt Coach D. Dooley is tired of continued picking at him over release or non-release. When a commitment is made it needs to be kept unless there are clear extinuating circumstances.
Where will Myles go? My gut says he messes up again. I hope I am wrong. Time will tell. Meanwhile, can we put this thing behind us and get ready to put a hurting on UT Martin? GO VOLS!

maddawg writes:

in response to RockyTopRenegade:

Yep, you caught us in our down years and spanked us, now its your turn!

TommyJack writes:

in response to marc_ash#231781:

He wasn't crying, Marcus. He had those red panites over his head. His eyes were watering.

crimsonviper writes:

in response to maddawg:

A leghumper riding around Atlanta with a pair of drawers,crying,with his girfriend,dawg drunk,trying to get the cop to let him go because he was the AD at Georgia..You are right,Bulldog fans should be proud.

oskie_score writes:

in response to marc_ash#231781:

Thanks marc!

Dave Hooker??????????
KNS??????????

spencer1989#206886 writes:

Not defending or condemning this young man, but a lot of it starts at home with how they are raised and taught. In his case he screwed up twice. Once in April and then going back out again under conditions (from the April incident) that should have told him to stay at home. In my days of growing up, if I ever got in trouble (even in grammar school) I got punishment at school as well as from my parents. Was I mean as a young kid? Sure. And I remember many times having to go out and break my own limb and carrying it back in for my parents to whip me with it. One time when I was walking back in with a limb, I remembered that my parents always stopped whipping me when the limb broke....So I partially broke the limb in several places so that they could get in only one or two swats at me. The plan worked fine except it took me about 25 years to figure that one out. All joking aside, Myles should not have even been there (Bar Knoxville) during the night of the brawl. Had he learned anything from the April incident he would have realized that. It appears it might have taken him 25 years like it did me to learn a few things. One thing I do treasure today is how my parents raised me and all the patience they showed me over the years. They really did do an amazing job.

tenndave writes:

in response to BigOrangeFreak:

In bars all over town, people regularly get in fights. They don't get kicked out of school. They usually get a warning, sent home, let's drink tommorrow. Why would athletes be any different. Now though hitting the police officer, who did he identify himself or just jump in? Was it Myles that hit him or just Myles that is the scapegoat. Was the other man the only one with black eyes. Who did the bouncers hit, shove remove etc. I'll bet they did it nicely with manners. My point is I would rather have the athletes paying a physical price, service price, fine price etc rather than being thrown out. Next time you see a fight on campus make sure the students are thrown out of school. That will teach them I am sure. I know its been 43 years since I was there but it doesn't sound like much is really different. GO Vols! Recruit Pansies and Nerds! That'll show Alabama and Florida. It will make them feel very guilty when they kick our %$*&.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to gaj619:

"Move On, That Seems Like A Good Idea."

----------------------------------------