Kerbyson staying home with commitment to Vols

Catholic offensive lineman had offers from across country

Catholic offensive lineman Kyler Kerbyson practices on Thursday, Aug. 12, 2010. Kerbyson committed to play football for the University of Tennessee in 2011.

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Catholic High School offensive lineman Kyler Kerbyson had scholarship offers that spanned the country, from Southern Cal to Florida, from Stanford to Alabama.

He chose home.

The 6-foot-5, 300-pound offensive tackle committed Thursday afternoon to the University of Tennessee. Ranked a three-star player by Rivals and four-star by Scout, Kerbyson became the 13th commitment for Tennessee's 2011 recruiting class.

Family factored into the choice. So did coaching.

"(Head) Coach (Derek) Dooley is just a class act," said Kerbyson, whose maternal grandfather was a 5-11 running back at Tennessee in 1954. "And, I went to a camp there, and (offensive line) Coach (Harry) Hiestand, I really learned a lot from him. And I think I could learn a lot more."

Tennessee fell behind in the chase for Kerbyson in late spring but quickly made up ground.

"They really stepped up their game," said Kerbyson. "They were sincerely sorry. They apologized. They started calling, started messaging me on Facebook and doing a lot more stuff. They got right back up in the circle."

Mack Crowder (Bristol, Tenn.) and Alan Posey (Athens, Ga.) are Tennessee's other offensive line commitments. Should Tennessee land Antonio Richardson, a 6-6, 310-pound offensive lineman from Nashville's Ensworth School, its recruiting class would receive quite the jolt.

Richardson's the News Sentinel's top prospect in the state. Rivals ranked him as the nation's 44th best player.

Tennessee, among plenty of others, has offered Richardson.

"I've talked a little with him on Facebook, and I think he's a great guy," said Kerbyson. "He still says he's going to wait until Feb. 2, or whatever Signing Day is, to make his decision. I'm going to start doing (player recruiting) more, because when I go (to UT) I want my class to be a winning class. I want us to be a great class, one that brings this program around."

In February, Vanderbilt was the first Division I school to offer Kerbyson. His recruitment snowballed into offers from Tennessee, Florida, Alabama, USC, Arkansas, Kansas, Duke, Illinois, Maryland, Memphis, Stanford, Syracuse, UCLA and Virginia.

He trimmed that to Tennessee, Duke and Alabama in recent weeks. Duke finished runner-up.

"One of my brothers actually pressured me," said Kerbyson. "He asked me a question, 'If you had to choose right now, and it was a life-or-death situation, what would you choose? Would you have a school in mind?' I said, 'I think I would.' He said, 'What makes you think that'll change in the next few weeks?' I was like, 'You got a great point right there.' So, I just called my family and sat down with them and talked it out a little bit and decided to go to UT.

"Right after we decided, we drove over to Tennessee, and I sat down in Coach Dooley's office with (offensive coordinator) Coach (Jim) Chaney and Coach Hiestand. I told them, and they were very ecstatic. They started giving me a bunch of hugs."

Tennessee's roster has three of Kerbyson's former Catholic teammates: offensive lineman Daniel Hood, tailback Dorian Cozart and defensive back Nick Branum.

Kerbyson won't wait long to play inside Neyland Stadium. Catholic will play there tonight in the Knoxville Orthopaedic Clinic's Kickoff Classic jamboree.

"I was joking around with Coach Dooley," said Kerbyson. "He said he's a little jealous I get to play in Neyland Stadium before he does."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Cldvols1 writes:

Made the right choice young man! GBO

runninbroke writes:

YES!!! Keep it coming Coach D! Congrats young man and welcome to the Big Orange!

Orange_Juiced writes:

Like the fact he will be a lightning rod for other recruits. Sounds like these guys keep up with each other much like the gator trio did last year (Ronald Powell, etal.) Facebook and other venues makes it possible and after going to camps together, it's possible he could have an influence.

Go forth young man and bring your fellow linemen to the big house! See if you can grab a D-tackle or two as well.

Peace and GBO!

UTVOLSRROCKN writes:

Wise decision Kyler, staying at home where you belong. The Vol nation thanks you, young man. Reel em in Coach Dooley! I'm loving this!

deputy658 writes:

For what it's worth , this young mans committment moved UT up 10 spots in team recruitment rankings to 28th , Great job CDD and staff.

tovolny writes:

Welcome aboard the BIG ORANGE EXPRESS!! I love all the Vols, but a good in-state player keeps me coming back to games. There is a thing called Tennessee Spirit and being from Tennessee, you will feel it the first time you run on the field. You will not be able to explain it, but you will feel it. Do us old Vols proud son, if you try your best, the spirit will do the rest. You were chosen and you have chosen...all is well.

RaineyVol writes:

This kids tape in unreal he is tossing people around like its nothing! Nice pick up! I like it!!!!

JCJ1986 writes:

Whoever posted this article should check some NCAA recruiting bylaws. Isn't it against the rules to contact recruits on social networks? If so, who would allow that quote to get published?

BigVolFaninSC writes:

Yes!!! Build that foundation with the big uglies up front! Now, let's get some big ones for the D line, too! Rake 'em in!

FWBVol writes:

in response to JCJ1986:

As someone in the media myself, and a Tennessee graduate, I can tell you it isn't the job of the KNS to protect the UT coaching staff if they have done anything wrong. If a kid gives a reporter a quote about how they were recruited and the reporter doesn't run with it that reporter isn't doing his job.

That said, I believe that CDD is a stickler for the rules and if using a social network is a violation of recruiting per the NCAA, I doubt if the Tennessee coaches would be doing it.

Technology has changed so many things and sometimes the NCAA is slow to catch up with the trends in recruiting. I believe using Facebook to contact a recruit would be the same as sending him an e-mail. But I could be wrong about that.

redskinvol1 writes:

Run towards the strong side,smash mouth football.Tennessee football.GBO!! Just 22 days.The waiting is the hardest part.

keepitreal4vols writes:

I thought talking to recruits on Facebook and Twitter was a secondary violation? O well, doesn't matter, he's ALL VOL now.

Strap writes:

Does anybody know the name of his grandfather who was a UT running back in 1954?

whippersnapper writes:

Welcome to Big Orange Country Kyler ! !

TLepage writes:

in response to JCJ1986:

I'm pretty sure there are no limitations on how much you can contact a recruit on facebook.... Text messaging has restrictions and limitations, not facebook messages...

gnm53108 writes:

Hot damn!

Welcome Kyler.

Guess coach Dooley can recruit,and win,against the bammers,reptiles and birth controlls of the world.

He actually proved that last year.

TnScooby writes:

Great pickup and seems to be a great young man off the field as well...BTW, direct messages on Facebook are not a violation as they are deemed to be private...Posting messages on his wall would have been a violation as those are considered public..

Go Vols!!

VOLS_SEC_RULES writes:

in response to tovolny:

Amen!

brokebackvol writes:

Great news on a Friday morning! GBO!!

HoustonVol writes:

Social media sights are regulated like any other form of contact. There are active periods and quite periods. I am sure CDD contacted him during the legal active periods.

PHAT_VOL writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

YOUR RIGHT ! Smart outgoing young man thats just what we need.
Welcome Kyler !!
GO VOLS!

FearTheVols1252 writes:

Finally!! Some good news for a change! :) Go Big Orange!!!

gnm53108 writes:

in response to shen24:

You'll get yours and we'll get ours.

See you in oct.

tnsportsman writes:

Welcome Kyler to BIG ORANGE COUNTRY! You can be a great recruiter now for Tennessee, go get us a lot like you! I'm sure you can help with Richardson!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

VolGrad writes:

in response to FWBVol:

Check it out: http://deadspin.com/5529225/byzantine...

"While it is permissible per NCAA bylaws to privately message a prospect on Facebook, it is not permissible to publicly post a message on their wall."

boroviathaochvolsfan writes:

This is great recruiting news!!! Man if we can land Big Antonio now from Ensworth that would be awesome!!! I jumped up and clapped when I read this article this morning....Go CDD and GBO!!!

volfan#207874 writes:

Best news of the day! Welcome aboard young man. I can almost feel the electricity in the air over the prospect of: ITS FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE!! He appears to be a lead mule in the "O" line to blast a hole for the four horsemen in the backfield. Go larj arnj!!

DaddyVol writes:

in response to keepitreal4vols:

IT'S NOT A RULES VIOLATION. Sorry trolls.

DaddyVol writes:

All of a sudden, we may soon have one of the best ofensive lines (commitments) in the country.

It all starts up front.

And, there will be a few more surprises soon!!!

gnm53108 writes:

in response to DaddyVol:

It all starts up front.

And, there will be a few more surprises soon!!!

Give it up.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

PL3,

The trolls are here proving the point.........they are very concerned about Tennessee. They know it's coming, maybe not right away.........but the Vols are coming back.
And you're right about visiting somebody else's site.
That would be a waste of a day to get into the discussions with people on their domain. It would just make us look like we are worried about somebody else...........such as the trolls are here.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand for Vol fans. Great news with Kerbyson making a sound choice and there will be more to follow.

Vol_Doc writes:

in response to GeneralNeyland96:

Actually, it does mention just that. Paragraph #7. As has been stated, it's not a violation, though.

VOLliven2it writes:

in response to tovolny: It is not just the player that "feels it" when an instate player hits the field for UT. I am from Loudon and when I first saw Bruce Wilkerson from there run on the field, it was amazing.He was big but not very coordinated in early days at Loudon High. I never played for the Big Orange but it seemed as if a part of me was running out there too that day. Bruce became a heck of an O-lineman for the Vols and NFL. No doubt there will be many feeling the same way I did that day when Kerbyson runs through the power-T.
As for shen, get a life and a Bammer sight. We are tired of you. How much time is Saban going to spend fighting agents and bugging up to the NFL commissioner? Is he planning a move back to the big time? GO BIG ORANGE!

Southland writes:

not enough stars, not enough stars, not enough stars, the sky is falling, the sky is falling. Just mocking the experts star gazers. Keep it up Coach Dooley

BigOrangeBill writes:

"HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN!" (Sorry, didn't mean to bust out singing). "CLIMB EVERY MOUNTAIN!" Dang it, there I go again. "ROCKY TOP YOU'LL ALWAYS BE!" Ah shucks. I'll get off here since I can't control myself. "WE PLEDGE IN LOVE AND HARMONY...!"

hueypilot writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

PL3,

And you're right about visiting somebody else's site.

If you want to post on the Alabama site I think it's on the men's room wall at a rest area outside of Huntsville.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to shen24:

Bless your little heart!

tennrich1 writes:

Honestly, has anyone else on this site EVERY been to an opposing teams site and posted? Maybe some have briefly but can you imagine having so much time on your hands and hate another SEC team so much you would take time away from family, job, friends, church, or whatever to post on another site....I mean, that is really bizarre to me...and I have a young man who works for me that does this very thing...ask him why...he said it makes him mad when other teams do something good....makes his team look bad....so, to get at them he post trash on their site...I'm thinking of a management referral to a shrink....Witch Doctor, got any openings?????

RollTideJoe writes:

in response to hueypilot:

Don't worry; it will be on the scoreboard in Neyland Stadium in October easy to read.

Jakevol writes:

Give Dooley some time and the rest of the SEC better look out. Good wine takes some time to develop.

crimsonviper writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

bwahahaha...,Ice,Ice, naffy!

gnm53108 writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Vanilla Ice?

naffy seems more like a boy george person.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

If we can land Richardson or some other big name offensive lineman, I think that will be plenty of them for 2011..Let's go out and snatch a few DT's to add to this class..It is really coming together nicely..By NSD, we will see the results of CDD and Co. and their recruitng abilities.

BTW..Has anyone heard anything else about Pat Martin?? Like who he is leaning toward at this moment?? Thanks.

im4davols writes:

I need some help. What is the name of the guy that has his own website and he reports on UT sports? I thought his first name is "Tony.", not sure. I used to read his articles alot and enjoyed them. I would appreciate any/all help.

Mobbdeep4life writes:

in response to ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog:

Martin is suppose to announce on Aug. 16th and it is between UT and S. Carolina. He's had several unoffical visits to UT yet there is pressure on him to stay at home. If I was a betting man I say he commits to UT.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to Mobbdeep4life:

Good to hear!! Thanks for info!!

shaymous writes:

WOW!!! Great News!!!! I had all but written him off, this young man is not only a great player, but a fine young man....Look forward to him clearing the path for our future RB's....Welcome to UT...

TLepage writes:

in response to ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog:

UT is supposedly his leader.... Apparently, SC is not expecting him to commit.... Announcement will be made sunday night (August 16)...

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to TLepage:

Thanks!!! Sounds like we got him!!

Caspian writes:

in response to Strap:

No. But I hear he was 5'11".