Kiffin is subject of feature story by Men's Journal

Lane Kiffin's cover photo for an article in Men's Journal.

Photo by Art Streiber, Men's Journal

Lane Kiffin's cover photo for an article in Men's Journal.

Kiffin vowed to wife Layla, with their three kids, that he wouldn’t sleep at the office like his dad, Monte.

Photo by Art Streiber, Men's Journal

Former Tennessee coach Lane Kiffin is a feature story in the new issue of Men’s Journal. Kiffin, who is in his first year as coach at Southern California, talks about a variety of topics in the piece called “Crunch Time for Boy Wonder.”

On his time at Tennessee:

“At Tennessee, I had to go in talking, make a lot of noise to get attention. I didn’t love everything I said down there, but we had to get notice for our football program with only eight weeks to sign a recruiting class. And I’ll tell you what — it worked. We got a top-10 bunch, and every kid in the region knew our names.”

On his reaction to controversy:

“I could sit here and say, ‘Why did Oakland happen? Why did leaving Tennessee cause the trouble it did?’ Those things happened to prep me for this, to be a stable manager in a crisis. My model was Obama and his coolness under fire, the confidence he projects during disaster.”

On his intense recruiting tactics:

“People ask if I can coach – well, isn’t recruiting coaching? You’re a lot smarter coach when you’ve got a bunch of All-Americans playing each other in practice every day.”

On how the NCAA-imposed sanctions will affect his players and staff:

“The players here now, they’ll barely feel it – they’ll play one game less a year and move on. It’s my staff that’ll take the hit in three years, when we’re down 30 guys and playing freshmen. That’s what burns me – those men and their families. How are they to blame for what happened?”

On backlash from other universities:

“Meanwhile, other schools are smelling blood, calling my juniors and seniors. They’re calling our recruits now, saying ‘SC’s done, they’re finished.’ I can’t wait till September is all I’ll say. They’re gonna see a fury coming at ‘em.”

What he told his staff to tell their star recruits when the news broke about the NCAA-imposed sanctions:

“We’re still USC, still the team that others fear, and still the school that trains you for the NFL. We’re King Kong to deal with when we aren’t pissed off, and now we’ve got a chip on our shoulder.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

volguy writes:

Just when I thought I couldn't hate the guy any more, he uses Obama as his role model.

Pompey writes:

.."My model was Obama and his coolness under fire, the confidence he projects during disaster"

If I had no other reason to hate Lane Kiffin this would be enough!

jobrando#216494 writes:

Just a few more years will reveal his legacy

fronix5000 writes:

in response to volguy:

EXACTLY!!! That explains quite a bit about him.

fronix5000 writes:

It isn't coolness with obama...it is complacency and arogance.

I think/hope we got a better deal by him leaving....Dooley has the right personality so far...we'll see on Sept 4th.

FearlessFreep writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

Just a few more years will reveal his legacy

Indeed. We'll all be wondering why so much attention was spent on this fool.

heyitsme writes:

Kiffin's self-analogy to Obama is perfect, as far as their lack of "positive" accomplishments. But it is a back-handed analogy used solely to appeal to the black athletes. There I said what many of you know is true, but didn't want to say. Kiffin, like Obama, is not stupid.

FearTheVols1252 writes:

"We got a top-10 bunch, and every kid in the region knew our names.”
______________________

Well no kidding... that's because we were in the paper for another secondary violation each week!

"You’re a lot smarter coach when you’ve got a bunch of All-Americans playing each other in practice every day.”
______________________

Unless of course they're sitting in a jail cell because you don't look at anything beyond their talent level.

volatil writes:

Hey "King Kong" why don't you climb to the top of the Empire State Building and jump. BTW Dennis Dodd from CBS Sportsline was on 104.5 in Nashville this morning and claimed Haden was already fed up with Kiff.

ALBIGORANGEFAN writes:

One of the wisest men I've heard stated "It's not your titles that people will truly remember you by, but it's your testimony!" Though I desire SEC Titles and maybe a BCS Title, it's true character that people will long remember you by. That's why I'm excited about Coach Dooley's leadership. He puts character first and ability second. When the day comes that Coach Dooley is no longer with us, his testimony of character both for himself and the TN Vols will be a legacy that we will all be proud of. Kiffen's comments revealed his true character. Coach Dooley, blessings to you, your family and staff. Go Big Orange!

ktemaque1 writes:

I clicked on this story only to say that Vol fans (at least THIS one)really couldn't care less what "The Temp" is doing now. To quote Hounddog "Let's play football".

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

He and his goons can go swim with the sharks for all I care.

CroKev writes:

Kiffin & Obama:
1) Both got their jobs without any prior experience or success
2) Both are great at promising what they know they cannot deliver
3) Both love to blame their predecessors for the mess they've created
4) Both ignore the rules (Constitution w/ the latter)
5) Both are thin-skinned when it comes to criticism
6) Both are extremely narcissistic and love the camera
7) Neither works very hard
8) Both came into hard situations and made them worse
Anyone want to add to the list?

HartfordCTvol writes:

If Obama is his role model for coolness I'm guessing Bill Clinton is his role model for honesty.

Vol86 writes:

Orgeron's role model is Barney Frank.

buck_fama writes:

OTPVol writes:

Layla deserves better.

RandRams writes:

Obsession?? ENOUGH w/ Lane Kiffin!! Move on KNS...

In your attempts to sustain current while attracting more readership---Here's a thought...one-on-one's w/ Derek Dooley and his coaches (topics ranging from team & individual development & performance to discussing each upcoming opponent (for example; coaches & players, strengths & weaknesses, etc).
Another, contact and interview ALL (2010) prospects interested in Tennessee and post those interviews on GVX. Considering the number of HS & JC players that fall into this category KNS should have no problem generating material for articles that appeal to the Vol masses.

volguy writes:

At least we have more proof that he belongs on the Left coast.

OTPVol writes:

..not that the bar's set that high anyway...

Vol86 writes:

in response to buck_fama:

When you need a doctor tell about the health care plan you fool. Oh go move to cal. they need you.

Vol86 writes:

in response to buck_fama:

Why to the black atheletes? Are they the only ones to believe him.

Capt_Winters writes:

D-E-N-I-A-L
N-A-R-C-I-S-S-I-S-T

Your time is coming scumbag.

Vol_FAN_atic writes:

On how the NCAA-imposed sanctions will affect his players and staff:

Uh... I believe it was under your watch Kiffin that those things happened. So... I guess its your fault. Willing to take the blame? Didnt think so!!!

TommyJack writes:

in response to buck_fama:

Right Buck. Watch MSNBC and get the straight skinny, huh?

buck_fama writes:

in response to Vol86:

Oh let me guess did you copy that from Glenn Beck's chalk board you FOOL hehehehe...I am a 3 rd year med. student so dont talk to me about health care. Don't talk about stuff you have no idea about cause you sound stupid.

buck_fama writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Right Buck. Watch MSNBC and get the straight skinny, huh?

No, its called RESEARCHING that means you investigate information independently and make your opinions with all the info available not just fox news or msnbc or any of those media markets bc they have there own agenda.

CB4VOLZ writes:

in response to buck_fama:

Lawdy, Dem boy... calm down.... You'll get all flustered before your big date with Keith Olbermann tonite.. I know you get all your info from him...

pigskinnut4vols writes:

As much as I would love to comment, I am going to actually leave this one alone... ok ok maybe not. Heres how you do it Kiffy...
"What, the NCAA has handed down huge sanctions on our university? What, it doesnt look good for a very long time? What I may run this program in the ground? ...Well in that case I am off to play golf! Its Pete Carroll's fault anyway"

VOLS_SEC_RULES writes:

in response to CroKev:

Kiffin & Obama:
1) Both got their jobs without any prior experience or success
2) Both are great at promising what they know they cannot deliver
3) Both love to blame their predecessors for the mess they've created
4) Both ignore the rules (Constitution w/ the latter)
5) Both are thin-skinned when it comes to criticism
6) Both are extremely narcissistic and love the camera
7) Neither works very hard
8) Both came into hard situations and made them worse
Anyone want to add to the list?

LOL! Absolutely correct. Thanks CroKev...I can't stop laughing. One for you to add to the list...both will be done/finished/terminated in a couple of years.

Vol_FAN_atic writes:

in response to buck_fama:

OK Med student. Tell me how I can afford to keep my small business when I have to provide insurance for everyone in such a bad economy? Margins are already tight enough as it is. Ever tried to run a business? Doubt it! Thats why you sir are the FOOL! Speak intelligently about issues you really know. Dont pretend to because you are a student. Life is much different then what you learn in school young lad!

Vol86 writes:

in response to buck_fama:

Actually, learned from my accountant my company will be getting a $20,000 dollar tax credit from his plan. That will help a lot of poor black people who voted for him. lol. I do not need the money I want what is best for our country. Yes I am a fool.

jesusvol4 writes:

in response to buck_fama:

third year med student huh. i'm impressed. good luck finding a job, really. the new healthcare bill, if it stays in place, will be taking a good toll on us by the time you start your job search. Lord willing, the new healthcare bill will be tweaked some, by the time you are searching for your job. God bless.

TommyJack writes:

Hey Bucky: I worked with med students. They probably know less about the totality of health care than the average Joe Sixpack on the street. Lighten up son. Your screen name alone shows you don't have much going for you.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to buck_fama:

A hem...........this means we should be watching CNN

No thanks

buck_fama writes:

in response to back2z1:

Precisely, I keep my mouth shut when I don't know about some stuff like the economy bc I don't want to sound dumb. But as to dumping my tuition fee on the tax payers, I believe that's called a scholarship from private endowments and NIH grants and it has to be earned. So know your stuff before you comment bc you sound IDIOTIC.

10volunteers98 writes:

Obama as his role model?That would explain why he breaks the rules!

buck_fama writes:

in response to jesusvol4:

I don't need luck it's called RESIDENCY and then you become a fellow for the hospital you were resident for so it's pretty much guaranteed.

fronix5000 writes:

in response to buck_fama:

Fox? Republican? What does that have to do with our dislike of Obama? we dislike him because he is ruining our nation. In every possible way, unless you are an ILLEGAL ALIEN, or sit on your lasy arse and collect welfare checks and milk the system as much as possible. I don't like welfare states, i don't like the fact he stated "I'll never pledge my alegance to America" , his involvement with Soros, Frank, Pelosi, Geitner, Shore Bank, etc...

We don't like him because we are not a communist nation. that's all. Not based on opinion, but facts. . . something the left wing can not comprehend.

VolzInTheHood writes:

Think if Kiffin where still here. The NCAA would have buried us already and USC might have not been punished as much as they were. It is obvious that the NCAA is out for Kiffen blood and glad he is not on our turf when it spills.
Also, maybe Kiffin is reaching out to Obama for a bailout.

fronix5000 writes:

in response to CB4VOLZ:

nice.

volatil writes:

Wow, way off topic guys. Focus your anger towards KING KONG.

CB4VOLZ writes:

in response to buck_fama:

IF and WHEN you ever do graduate from Med school, you better hope you get a job in a government run facility like the VA so that you can show off your immense intelligence and live off the government teet... something you'd never be able to do in the private section (not enough common sense to run your own practice I would guess)... Good luck with that..

buck_fama writes:

in response to TommyJack:

OKAY TOMMYJACK you're absolutely right, i am glad you think I have nothing going for me based on my screen name shows me the level of you intelligence or lack of.

MemphoVol writes:

in response to CroKev:

Kiffin & Obama:
1) Both got their jobs without any prior experience or success
2) Both are great at promising what they know they cannot deliver
3) Both love to blame their predecessors for the mess they've created
4) Both ignore the rules (Constitution w/ the latter)
5) Both are thin-skinned when it comes to criticism
6) Both are extremely narcissistic and love the camera
7) Neither works very hard
8) Both came into hard situations and made them worse
Anyone want to add to the list?

Great list! Other than both will be out of their current job in a couple of years, I can't think of anything to add.
In summary, one empty suit admiring another empty suit.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to buck_fama:

Your classy name says all I need to know! Man, think before you speak....just try, man just try to THINK!

buck_fama writes:

in response to volatil:

Wow, way off topic guys. Focus your anger towards KING KONG.

hahahaha you're right ....WAY OFF TOPIC

Vol86 writes:

in response to buck_fama:

Pre-med boy, please edit your stuff.

buck_fama writes:

in response to back2z1:

Oh yea NIH Is BAD bc you know they give the grants to research Cancer, Obesity, and all other dieases that we face today. DOWN WITH NIH...lol

dwolfcreek#397971 writes:

Obama's destroying the USA . KIFFIN destroying footBall.