Arkansas radio personality wears Gators hat, loses job

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — An Arkansas radio personality announced that she was fired Monday, two days after wearing a Florida Gators hat to an Arkansas news conference.

Renee Gork announced on Twitter that she had been fired by KAKS, a northwest Arkansas radio station that calls itself Hog Sports Radio. Gork had worn a Gator hat Saturday to a news conference with Arkansas football coach Bobby Petrino.

Petrino, whose team lost to the Gators last season 23-20 at Florida, commented on Gork’s hat after answering a question she asked. “And that will be the last question I answer with that hat on,” Petrino said.

Gork, a Florida graduate, said she grabbed the hat without thinking Saturday because it was raining outside. She also said she sent a letter of apology to the university and Petrino.

“Was hoping to publicly apologize to coach Petrino and UA fans on the show today ... but I won’t get that chance,” Gork wrote on KAKS’ Twitter account. “I’ve been fired.”

Gork could not be reached Monday for comment. There was no telephone listing in her name in the Fayetteville area.

KAKS general manager Dan Storrs confirmed in a telephone interview with The Associated Press that Gork was no longer working for the station but declined to comment further, saying it was a personnel matter.

However, he added, “This radio station is Hog Sports Radio. We are very biased. We support the Razorbacks 100 percent.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

vol75 writes:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZ.......

bobbarbilly writes:

Is it safe to say that she is not a mensa candidate?

smokeyvol1 writes:

Wow, this would never happen at KNS!

nocleats writes:

in response to smokeyvol1:

Wow, this would never happen at KNS!

Amen! Thats the truth!

westennvol writes:

I would have fired her also..

CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED writes:

WOW..they really do exist. I thought that all trolls were just KNS workers.

1965Vol writes:

You meanin' to tell me that other guys hate them UF swamp lizards as much as we do? Wow!

OrangePride writes:

So what's the problem?? I've seen John Adams just about don his own Gator Hat in some of his articles. :)

westennvol writes:

Hog fans are still pretty upset about being hosed vs UF last year...as far as that reporter is concerned, free speech is protected by constitution...as long as you use good judgement. Clearly, she didn't use common sense..

dvols writes:

hope she learned her lesson!

lvhemphill#250428 writes:

I hope she takes them to the cleaners.............if Coach P really has a problem and feels the inferior then they just need to work harder and beat those Gators.

Pullingguard writes:

in response to back2z1:

Sense of humor... In SEC football there is little room for humor... Asking me, the gal did a stupid thing.

tnsportsman writes:

LOL good way to go AR, WE ALL HATE THE SWAMP LIZZARDS!

keepitreal4vols writes:

Typical arrogant Gator fan, thinks everyone will bow down to you. Well, the Pig Sooie trumped the Gator Chomp.

GreerVol22 writes:

I tell you that if you wear a Gator hat into a BBQ place in this part of South Carolina, somebody is fixin' to lose their man parts.

volatil writes:

Slow news day.

whistlinwingman writes:

Good for Arkansas radio. Arrogance is ignorance. That is what is wrong with the media, they have personal agendas and push them on people. This one got pushed too far.

HollySpringsVOL writes:

CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED writes:

in response to ShaversChoice:

You know why..the government has installed quotas that must be met...big tax breaks for the company. After all, that is change that we can believe in.

Take_Back_Knoxville writes:

That's the way it is in the rest of the South. Knoxville is the only town in the SEC whose media does not embrace their local collegiate team preferring instead to bash all that do as not being objective or for being "homers." This strategy is some 20 years old in this town pushed by a couple of pompous LSU thugs who have made it their personal mission to drag down public support for the football Vols and it has worked. You can hear it everyday on local sports radio and you can read it here too. Heck, the logo of this site has "Go Vols" X'd out and shrouded in black. Over the top? Maybe...

OldNumber7 writes:

in response to westennvol:

But on the job, you are bound to the whims of your employer - you do not have free speech rights in the office as it is a private affair and therefore doesn't apply. You can be fired for any reason whatsoever as you are an "employee at will", unless under a bonafide contract. I think she'll "think" next time.

CCLC writes:

I've always enjoyed GoVolsXtra!

Mr_Bandman writes:

I teach high school. It is a violation of dress code in my classroom to wear gator paraphernalia. I make them change, or turn their shirts inside out. I don't care that many people may find this ridiculous or unreasonable. I am ridiculous and unreasonable when it comes to my loathing of the florida gators.

Willis writes:

I always worry I'm going to put my underwear on over my pants and not realize it until it's to late.

AllforTenn writes:

in response to westennvol:

This is not a free speech issue. It is the right of an employer to terminate an employee for embarrassing actions.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

I think she got off way too easy.

Stepchild_nFL writes:

in response to Willis:

That's what you get for not "thinking".

TommyJack writes:

Sounds like she would fit in nicely with KnoxVegas talk radio.

DannyVol writes:

Precisely what I have been preaching for over a year on this board: They wouldn't tolerate Adams' nonsense anywhere else. This girl slipped up and wore the wrong hat - once. Adams pounds on your team on a weekly basis. See the difference?

hcjournals#206623 writes:

mwhla writes:

"Gork, a Florida graduate, said she grabbed the hat without thinking Saturday because it was raining outside."

Rrrriiiggghhhtt. We believe you, Gatorette.

Volcoast writes:

Come on! This is ridiculous. Its not like she was a reporter for television. She's on radio. Its like a McDonald's employee being fired for eating at Burger King. No wonder unemployment is so high!

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Wait, it's coming to me.

Biting the hand that feeds......

stevefrommemphis writes:

in response to AF1A4:

Now be careful. SEC ruler Mike Slive will issue you a reprimand.

TennHillbilly writes:

in response to Volcoast:

I disagree. Yes, it was radio, but she was interviewing the Arky Head Coach. Show a little respect for the people you work for and who you are interviewing. And it's not like a McD's employee eating at BK. It's like a McD employee serving food in a BK uniform. The girl messed up, got caught, was removed. She could wear her gator hat in the studio where nobody could see her, but working for "Hogs Radio" outside of the studio, you should be wearing Hogs gear.

HallowedHill writes:

It sounds like a teenage stunt and is, at the very least, disrespectful of her employer and their client base. She obviously didn't care much for her job so she won't miss it.

Volchief writes:

in response to ShaversChoice:

My thoughts exactly! I'm sure it said in clear, bold letters on her resume "Bachelor of Arts in Communications:Journalism from The University of Florida." If you are a "very biased" station & "support the Razorbacks 100%", her resume should have raised a couple of red flags.

budd#207344 writes:

in response to Take_Back_Knoxville:

Given your comments I have to assume you have never left Knoxville. In most SEC markets the coach is praised to the heavens before the season and then made ready for firing as they lose one game. Who do you think put Richt on the "hotseat"? John Adams? Sorry it is the local ATL media. You can tell the seasons by Mark Bradley's yearly columns. In summer he praises richt and in the middle of the fall calls for his firing. Happens every year. I want to know the full story not just a bunch of PR phooey. If you cannot stand to hear the bad with the good then go back to comics. But KNS presents some of the more balanced reporting in the South on college football. And you can read the same comments as yours in every paper.

xd9x19 writes:

Only in the idiocy of the sports world could someone get fired for something so trivial.

Colliervol writes:

in response to CCLC:

I've always enjoyed GoVolsXtra!

I enjoyed it better when it was a pay site. Didn't have the trouble with trolls from other schools then. My IQ drops 10 points every time I log on now.

Colliervol writes:

in response to smokeyvol1:

Wow, this would never happen at KNS!

Heck no. They probably wouldn't have a reporter there and would just monitor Wes Rucker's tweets.

BillsBrother writes:

Too bad there wasn't an emergency slide and a galley full of beer in that conference room...

smifrat writes:

Same thing as Jimmy Hyams wearing his LSU garb when reporting on the VOLS and John Adams wearing his Tim Tebow thong while writing his columns!

volatil writes:

North Arkansorea

EMBuckles writes:

Here in the "wilds" of Virginia where I, a Bristol, Tennessee native and Vol fan live, we have all sorts of different colleges and universities represented so nobody gets really uptight if somebody shows up in something other than Virginia Tech or University of Virginia or VMI clothes or hats. However, many states, such as Virginia, are "at will employment" states where an employer can fire you for just about any reason(I don't think that is fair, but it is just how things are). Of course, I think that the young lady who was fired was, shall we say, "not wise" to show up with a Florida Gator hat on for that interview while working for that station. Had I been the manager, I would have simply counseled her that wearing Gator clothes in Arkansas "Razorbacks" land was a bad idea and asked her to not do that again, but I would not have fired her for that. I have to wonder if there were other "issues" and if this might have been the "final straw", so to speak. She probably ought to go apply for jobs at Florida TV and radio stations. They'll probably be very sympathetic. Meanwhile "GO VOLS! BEAT THE GATORS!!!" ;>

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to Mr_Bandman:

I would love to do that at the middle school where I teach, but there would likely be issues with my principal. I tried to get my son to wear my "Florida $uck$ shirt while he was a student there, but knowing our principal, she would have tried to suspend him and it wasn't worth the trouble. I usually give any student a very hard time who dares wear anything with the logo of that hideous reptile. That's usually enough to keep them from wearing it again. Keep up the good work Mr_Bandman and GBO.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to Mr_Bandman:

I can understand where you are coming from, sir!!!

boogimn3 writes:

in response to rabidvolfan:

-itch..
There..I feel better now.
But we need more comments about her name...Gork? Really close to Dork or Geek. I know somebody out there can do something with those...

DRORANGELOVE writes:

I admire station KAKS for what they did. She deserved to get fired. If she worked for a huge supporter of the Razorbacks she should have had enough courtesy to show respect for their views and the Razorbacks program.
She showed disrespect and disregard for another SEC schools program and traditions which is typical of Florida Gators and their fans .

If she wants to wear Florida Gator hats and cheer for the Gators, then let her get a job for a radio station in Florida who backs and supportsw the Gators. Good Bye "GORK THE FLORIDA DORK " SEE YA, WOULD'NT WANTA BE YA

pridebone writes:

in response to ShaversChoice:

Why would the KNS hire LSU or Bama grads? Why are many of our Knoxville folks from other schools? Russel Biven at WBIR was a WBIR sports anchor for awhile and graduated from Alabama. Mark Packer at WVLT: TCU; Steve Phillips at WBIR: Alabama. Jim Wogan at WATE: Arizona. Prentice Elliott at WATE: South Carolina. While Mark Packer and Jim Wogan aren't alums of any of our rivals, they aren't "hometown boys" either.

News media, sports included, are not hired because they are good ol' local boys. They are hired becasue they have demonstrated a proficiency in reporting sports news, and increasing listeners in radio, viewers in TV, and readers in newspapers. People on here may hate John Adams, but boy do we all read what he writes. As long as we keep reading, Adams will keep writing. As long as these people don't pull crazy stunts like showing up at a press conference in an LSU hat, then when they keep the viewers/readers/listeners, then they are doing their jobs.