Pope piles on the food, veggie style

Offensive lineman has lived meat-free life since birth

Know your Vols - Cody Pope: Junior, center

Cody Pope

Cody Pope

His offensive-line teammates, big guys all, prefer a slab of ribs. The big guy with the pony tail will have the sushi, thank you.

There is no cheeseburger in Cody Pope's paradise.

The 290-pound, 6-foot-6 junior projected to be Tennessee's starting center might be college football's largest vegetarian.

If he's not college football's only vegetarian, surely they could all be seated at the same table. Just make sure the table isn't at a burger joint.

"I've been a vegetarian from birth,'' the Southern California native said. "My parents have always raised me that way.

"I guess they're two California hippies,'' he added with a laugh.

Boy, does he eat seafood. And pasta. And veggies and fruit.

"Ask the offensive linemen how much I eat,'' Pope said. "They tell me if I ate meat I'd weigh 500 pounds.

"I can out-eat all the big boys, (Jarrod) Shaw, (JerQuari) Schofield, any of them.''

Pope has seen enough message-board chatter to be aware that some UT fans are anxious about having a vegetarian anchoring the offensive line. They would, it seems, prefer a red-blooded carnivore.

But as far as his coaches or teammates go, Pope said he's never heard a discouraging word.

On the contrary, he feels blessed the program has gone out of its way to support his needs. That's where UT nutritionist Allison Maurer comes in.

"Lucky for me he eats fish,'' Maurer said.

"I plan all the meals when we travel. I always make sure there's a vegetarian option for Cody. I want to make sure that he feels he's being cared for.''

Last week after a scrimmage, the team's post-game snack was catered by Chandler's, a barbecue restaurant. Maurer picked up a vegetarian burrito from Moe's for Pope.

"In a way, it's spoiling me,'' Pope said. "I'm the only player she has to go out of her way for.

"I don't like to make a big deal out of it.''

In geography and lifestyle, Pope might be the farthest Vol from home.

He grew up in Julian, Calif., a small former gold-mining town in the mountains an hour east of San Diego.

"Being from Southern California, everybody thinks you must be a beach bum,'' Pope said. "That wasn't exactly the case.

"We'd have three feet of snow sometimes.''

His parents, Chris and Sherri, have been vegetarians all their adult lives. Rather than being viewed as left-coast weirdos, they have been embraced by his teammates, Pope said:

"I always hear from the players, 'Your parents are so cool; they're great people.'

"I'm just so fortunate I've had a loving family.''

Now, his UT family is a bunch of meat-eating behemoths. The offensive line has made a point of hanging out and eating together this summer.

"I guess I'm the big what-if,'' Pope said. "They say, 'Can you eat here?' ''

The answer is generally yes. Pope will find something acceptable on most any menu, but he has his preferences.

The Sunspot on Cumberland Avenue is a favorite. So is any seafood or sushi buffet.

"Eating fish and beans, he's getting plenty of protein,'' Maurer said. "He's probably getting better protein sources than the other guys on the team.

"I don't worry about him keeping his weight, the way he piles food on his plate.

"And he drinks the protein shakes after a workout. They're 700 calories and he'll drink two in less than five minutes. ''

If it makes nervous fans rest any easier, Pope shared the 2010 John Stucky Award presented to the players who demonstrated the best physical and mental conditioning in the offseason.

Shaw, a 330-pound guard, is a frequent dining partner. His diet was limited when he arrived on campus from Louisiana.

"He's got me to eat Mexican, things like that I never tried before,'' Shaw said.

What about sushi?

"I tried sushi one time and almost threw up,'' Shaw said. "I ain't trying it again.''

Sometimes the Vols try to broaden Pope's horizons, just as he has theirs.

"We try,'' said tackle Dallas Thomas, "to get him to eat meat, but it's not working. He's a full-blown, hard-core vegetarian.''

Which makes him one of a kind at UT.

"Even cross country or track, he's my only one,'' said Maurer.

"It's kind of funny that the one vegetarian I have is an offensive lineman.''

Mike Strange may be reached at strangem@knoxnews.com or 865-342-6276.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

CCLC writes:

Dang!

VolsToTheWall writes:

well thats the dumbest thing i ever heard

CoverOrange writes:

First I heard of it, and I read this board everyday. Let him eat cake if he wants to. Sans eggs though.

keepitreal4vols writes:

2. Dogs that don't wag their tails
3. People who don't eat meat
4. telemarketers

and...
5. dumb posts

Orangeatang writes:

If you believe in evolution, which most educated people do, it's clear that meat is on the way out. In a thousand years, we will all be vegetarians, at least in this country. It's the healthiest choice. I bet Pope's cholesterol is next to nothing and his blood pressure is spot on compared to most of our readers. I eat poultry and fish only and feel great. I don't even crave red meat anymore. Good for him!! Go Vols!!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

I could probably be vegetarian if I didn't love chicken so much...I eat more of it than any other meat...AND in a thousand years, I won't be around to worry about how much meat I eat..LOL!!

tree_em_smokey writes:

in response to Orangeatang:

I guess the people who believe in creation are a bunch of idiot's huh? Why did you feel the need to express your belief in evolution to say you don't eat red meat. I can respect your view of evolution as why we are here. But I do NOT appreciate being called an idiot for my belief in God.

Orangeatang writes:

in response to tree_em_smokey:

Have you ever been to the Grand Canyon? Smoky Mountains? Rockies? Have you ever taken geology? The rock strata took millions of year to form. Within different levels of that strata scientists have unearthed dinosaur bones and fossils of creatures that became extinct millions of years ago. You won't find one serious scientist who disputes the general theory of evolution. I believe in God, and I also believe in evolution. These are not mutually exclusive ideas. But if you think the earth is only 6,000 years old based on an ancient text written thousands of years ago I can't help you. I don't think you are an idiot for believing in God. But if you choose to deny hard scientific evidence regarding how we came to be, that may give me a reason to consider you an idiot. I hope that's not the case.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog:

And who knows there may not be any Chickens around then. And if things don't pick up soon you will have to raise your own in the next two years.No eating eggs, you'll need them all to hatch.

tree_em_smokey writes:

There is also a lot of hard scientific evidence that supports creation. Recently geologists found a dinasour bone with moist bone marrow. That negates the idea of dinosours being extinct millions of years ago. There are many scientists (that previously supported evolution) that have converted to the idea of creation because of the lack of evidence that supports the idea. We can agree to disagree. Just didn't like you calling people who believe in creation "idiots".

tnalbundy writes:

Isn't this a forum about the Vols? Living smack dab on the belt buckle of the bible belt, I (and I would say the rest of us here) get a unique perspective on religion. If you were to ask any die hard christian, they would tell you that a day to God could be 1 million years to us. They tend to forget that the bible is grouping of different versions of history from a lot of different people.

Science is definitely hard facts. There are no mention of dinosaurs in the bible that I know of. Having said that. I am no die hard christian, so I could be incorrect about that.

Now, it is starting to look like the former weakness for the Vols is starting to look like the strength. Both QBs have had decent scrimmages and are keeping the turnovers to a minimum. I like that. The defense is looking like they don't know what is going on and they are playing their own team. Wait until they get a load of Alabama or Florida. But, enough gloom.

I think the offense could potentially put up some good point totals this season. The receivers a great. The RBs are stout. And the O-line is looking decent enough. Although it is against a very depleted D-line. I still have faith!!

GBO!!!!

VolGrad writes:

in response to Orangeatang:

And most "educated people" once believed the atom was the smallest particle in existence.

Outside of universal laws (such as gravity), today's "science" will be tomorrow's "laughable absurdities."

Back to the topic: as the article stated, "Technically, Pope labels himself as a pescatarian - he eats fish and seafood, but no other animal meat."

VolGrad writes:

Personally, I don't care what these guys on the OL eat as long as they can run and pass block, opening holes for the RBs and protecting the QB.

Go Vols!!!

tennrich1 writes:

in response to Orangeatang:

Pal, you need to spend about two hours at the Creation Museum in Ohio....Want to talk smart...I listen to a doctor give a two hour lecture on four different types of meat eating plants...One of the most incredible lectures I have ever heard.....I'd like to see you debate him....talk about and idiot.....

tree_em_smokey writes:

in response to tnalbundy:

GBO!!!!

That's because the word dinosour wasn't invented until the 19th century, google it to find out. In the book of Job 40:15-24 speaks of a behemoth. Check this out: http://creationwiki.org/Behemoth,_fro...(Talk.Origins) Yes I believe men lived with dinosours.

Orangeatang writes:

in response to VolGrad:

So are saying you don't believe in plate tectonics, continental drift, evolutionary biology, string theory, the theory of relativity, etc.? So every scientist at Yale, Princeton, Harvard, Stanford who has dedicated his or her life to their respective scientific field is wasting their time? A "theory" in scientific terms is not the same as a "theory" in laymans' terms. In science, a theory doesn't become a theory until you can reliable test it, like the theory of relativity for example, or the theory of evolution. I'm glad you're not in charge. We would still think the earth was flat and the center of the universe and would still be heating lamps with kerosene. Of course, I'm sure you would find some way to reconcile this with the Bible as being God's will. Wake up.

McMinnVol writes:

in response to Orangeatang:

I graduated with honors from UT in 1982 with a BS in Mechanical Engineering. I hope that qualifies me as being educated. There are so many holes in the theory of evolution that I don't know where to begin. The only reason that someone would choose to believe in evolution is because they have already begun with the assumption that God does not exist, and they have no other way to explain why we are here. By the way, God originally created man as vegetarians. It was only after sin entered the world that we became meat eaters.

But I am also a huge UT fan. More power to Cody for following his vegetarian lifestyle, if that is what he wants to do. Go Vols!

tree_em_smokey writes:

I think we will be better this year than a lot of people think. I bet we win 7 games this year. If the stars align then 8. Lol. We will surprise someone and get beat by someone we should win. In a couple years we will all be discussing hopes of winning an sec championship that we will be playing in. How many days till kick-off. I can hardly stay still!

Orangeatang writes:

in response to tree_em_smokey:

Is that why? Oh. Ok. Now I understand. God help our country. No wonder we are falling behind the rest of the world in education rankings.

Orangeatang writes:

in response to McMinnVol:

Why are God and evolution mutually exclusive? And while evolution may have various questions still to be answered, it explains things a hell of lot better than the Bible or any other "sacred text" does. I guess we should still stone people since the Bible says so. Or have capital punishment for witchcraft and sorcery, adultery, homosexuality, blasphemy, perjury, false claims of a woman's virginity, and cursing out your parents. All of this is in the Bible. You can't pick and choose. Of course, you probably take literally the story of Noah's Ark, Job, Jonah and the Whale, and other such allegorical stories found in the Bible.

tree_em_smokey writes:

in response to Orangeatang:

No thats not all. But since you brought up dinosours I just provided you with a link so you could see that there are many things that the TV or other info sources don't reveal. If I provided you with a link to something that proves to be a "gray area" to the theory of evolution it would take a lifetime. Just browse around on the computer someday and you will find soooooooooo many dicoveries and scientific findings that you might stop wathching the discovery channel and consider the facts for yourself and then make a decision on your own, with all the facts.

Orangeatang writes:

in response to Driving_Ms_Dooley:

Yeah, I need to see that. I really like grilled chicken, but it's probably a good idea to avoid these days. It's not the same chicken our grandmothers used to cook anymore.

tree_em_smokey writes:

in response to Orangeatang:

The bible said to stone people in the OLD TESTAMENT.....which is no longer in effect since Christ came and sacrificed himself for us. The bible was not intended to explain all of the questions you may have but rather to show people the way to heaven. I do take the story of Noah's ark, Jonah and the whale etc literally because there is no indication of it being symbolic, unlike much of the book of revelation.

Orangeatang writes:

in response to tree_em_smokey:

My brother has a Ph.D. in molecular pathology from Vanderbilt. I have a law degree from UT. Most scientists laugh at Biblical creationism. Laugh out loud. I'll side with them.

McMinnVol writes:

in response to Orangeatang:

God and evolution are mutually exclusive because God has told us that is not how He created the world. He was there when He did it, so He should know. You and I were not there, so we must depend on His telling us how He did it.

I have been to the Grand Canyon and seen it for myself. A perfectly logical scientific explanation is that a whole lot of water over a short period of time (ie - Noah's Flood) caused it rather than a little bit of water (Colorado River) over a long period of time (evolution).

Evolution violates the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics. Sea shells have been found on top of large mountains. How did they get there? There are numerous problems with carbon dating, etc. As I said before, too many problems to debate.

I am trained in science and I reject evolution. It takes more "faith" to believe in evolution than it does to believe in God's Word.

Go Vols!

tree_em_smokey writes:

in response to McMinnVol:

Go Vols!

Totally agree mcminnvol. I have also been to the grand canyon and when I saw it I said to myself God created some awesome stuff, maybe not on the day he created land and sea but as you stated. God has control and by his design has given us great things to see and explore. I have been to the creation museum and it is awesome. Go big orange......and Jesus!

spacificislander writes:

in response to Orangeatang:

You won't change any minds on here if they believe the bible is to be taken as a word for word explanation of the world. But since you believe in evolution you should know that we got our big brains from protein eating meat. Also we need big farming practices organic farming can only sustain 2 Billion people a year.

Munsterlander writes:

in response to Orangeatang:

Funny how you can be semi-vegetarian and still be a total meat head. Everybody on this board is entitled to their religious or anti-religious beliefs, and I'm sure there are plenty of boards out there where you can go rant and rave and denigrate to your snide little "I must prove I'm smarter than everyone else" heart's content. I'd bet I'm safe in saying most of us don't come here for that kind of stuff, from either viewpoint. Most "educated people" would know to take it somewhere else. Hope the editors delete the whole back and forth. Has NOTHING to do with Tennessee football.

77VolFS writes:

in response to Orangeatang:

Sorry Tang, but Evolution is just like Creationism - it's theory - can't prove it in the lab. In my personal opinion, it seems to require much more faith to believe that we have evolved from something that crawled out of a swamp than it takes to believe we were created by a loving God; who by the way could have easily created something already millions of years old. And yes, I've been to all of those places and yes, I've taken Geology. Your background may be rock, but mine is of the life sciences and when one looks at the human body and doesn't see a Master Creator that put that thing together; well they just don't want to admit the obvious - that could be tough on the ego.

OrangePsyched writes:

I don't want to get into a scientific, theological debate on this particular forum. I will say however that I don't care as much about the ages of the rocks as much as I care about the Rock of Ages.

DL and LB's won't care what Pope eats as he is pancaking them to the turf. This OL has really bonded and they are going to fight for each other every Saturday this fall. tnsportsman I agree with your 8 win prediction. ROCKY TOP!

jcherrie#219531 (Inactive) writes:

in response to McMinnVol:

Go Vols!

I don't wish to enter any discussion regarding religion. However, my very religious wife served as a Chief Assistant Professor of Physics for 19 years and she indicates that it's absolutely fallacious to apply the 2nd law of Thermodynamics to one sub-system connected by mass-energy flows to another open system - as biological systems become more order the net change in entropy is positive. If you want any credibiltiy Drop that argument immediately. The 2nd law of thermodynamics neither proves nor disproves evolution.

While not a statement on modern vegetarians - without meat modern man would not have evolved -

Do I dare mention that Adolph Hitler was a famous vegetarian? (as was Albert Einstein).

And Chris Campbell - one mean wrestler - bronze medalist in world championships was too.

bobbarbilly writes:

in response to Orangeatang:

Pick up a copy of Lee Strobel's book, "The Case For A Creator". A lot of the top scientists are not laughing.

DannyVol writes:

in response to Orangeatang:

That's some serious football talk there, Mr. Darwin. Who do you think is going to emerge...uhh...evolve as our best defensive tackle?

UTbassdrummer writes:

This is, thanks to both sides, the worst thread ever. Take this debate elsewhere. Talk Vols. Cody Pope seems to be doing his thing and making it work, which is a LESSON FOR EVERYBODY.

keepitreal4vols writes:

More things I don't trust:
5a. Evolutuion Scientists
5b. Sharks

bigorange61 writes:

"Piling on the healthy pounds" the headline reads.I can't find any nutritional, medical, etc, website that says 300 lbs is healthy, even if you are 6 foot 6 inches tall.

VolGrad writes:

in response to Orangeatang:

No, I never said any such thing. However, I guess I did leave my post a bit broad on that note, but I was making a statement specifically regarding your assumption that "most educated people believe in evolution." I do not put much stock into the "theory of evolution" as there is not a single imperical piece of data to support it. It has more holes than a sponge, yet holds less water. The majority of those "scientists" I have heard from who support evolution have rejected the scientific method altogether and were professing atheists. They analyze "new data" with the net result already in mind. There is nothing open or objective about that. And to eliminate any other possible explanation just because it may "seem" (subjective) to be incomprehensible despite the fact that it may fully fit all the facts and data we know is in itself, a completely unscientific approach.

This was not the place to mention such a highly controversial topic, and I assure you that it is highly controversial. Perhaps you just did not realize that.

Man.... All this over an article about a "vegetarian" who is not even a "vegetarian" in the purest sense.

Go Vols!!!

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

" has succeeded in isolating soft tissue from the femur of a 68-million-year-old dinosaur"

68-million.

VolGrad writes:

in response to bigorange61:

You may have a point there.

I guess it is "healthy" in the relative sense that it may prevent you from being crushed by someone else who is 6' 6" and 350 lbs.

VolGrad writes:

After noting how this OL has performed thus far in the scrimmages, I don't know whether to be encouraged about our offense or discouraged with out defense.

I do think some of these guys could teach a thing or two to Justin "Bones" Hunter about eating, though.

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to VolGrad:

Go Vols!!!

I'm an atheist...but I don't deny their could be a 'creator', but sincerely believe the biblical version is a bunch of superstitious BS.

A 'creator' who would set up the building blocks of life, with all the sophistication of magnetism, black holes, light, and so forth would be SO INTELLIGENT as to have no need to be 'worshiped', no need to be vindictive or angry or whatnot. In fact, such a creator would be able to program all beings to do EXACTLY as it desired.

Of course, you have all that 'who created the creator' stuff. Anyway, evolution by no means denies there being a creator. All evolution does is explain how survival of the fittest shapes the development of species.

Another puzzle for you: dinosaurs where around for millions of years. Us humans have only been aroudn for a few hundred thousand....do you suppose there where some really, really smart dinosaurs?? Did they have cell phones, tv's?? We'd never know, as all that stuff would degrade over the huge amount of time.

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

What really puzzles me: what stupid fan would worry about where the guy gets his calories?? There are a lot of good sources of protein besides meat.

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to Driving_Ms_Dooley:

trying to remember...wasn't Hunter a Kiffin commitment who waffled, but came anyway??

tree_em_smokey writes:

in response to Driving_Ms_Dooley:

I agree. He just stated that all who believe in creation are idiots. I defended myself and others from his verbal attacks. He brought up evolution on a TN sports site. I love to talk football. GBO!!!

hcjournals#206623 writes:

This team has character.....They like each other...If they are good athletes, we are on to something/.....

hcjournals#206623 writes:

richvol writes:

All things being equal,Pope will outlive his cohorts on the offensive line due to his diet.

orangebloodgmc writes:

Yeah, if he eats seafood and beans he'll be fine. I wonder if he does eat eggs or dairy products?