Florida defensive linemen angry about rankings

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — It’s startling, sometimes, how easy it is for a college football coach to control and bend the minds of his otherwise freethinking student-athletes. Consider what has taken place at the University of Florida as proof.

For more than a month, Florida’s defensive linemen have prattled on and on about some obscure ranking by a preseason magazine. On page 83 of Lindy’s Sports Southeastern 2010 Preview, the Gators’ defensive line was listed seventh in the Southeastern Conference in a section about position groups. Good heavens! To hear the players talk about it, it’s as if Lindy himself walked into a defensive huddle and besmirched the good names of each player’s mother.

Junior defensive end William Green called the ranking “a bunch of crap” and scowled angrily when venting, unprovoked, about it. That was last week. This week, senior defensive end Duke Lemmens said he used it as motivation during “every rep” of practice.

Why all this pent-up rage about some meaningless magazine filler? Credit UF defensive line coach Dan McCarney for his players” loose grasps on reality. It is McCarney who has reminded the players of the ranking throughout the preseason. Just imagine what Vanderbilt’s defensive linemen must be thinking. Lindy’s ranked them 12th in the SEC.

“When people are telling you that you aren’t any good, that you’re the No. 7 defensive line in the SEC, you feel that every rep you’re out there,” Lemmens said. “We’re really enjoying that pressure that’s on us.”

If a preseason magazine’s ranking so enrages UF” s defensive line, imagine what raw emotions must bubble to the surface when players such as Green and Lemmens are reminded about something that actually matters. For example, the 2009 SEC championship game.

Florida’s defensive line performed terribly that night, and the unit’s preparation for the biggest game of the season was even worse. Not that anyone needs reminding, but the most celebrated player of the group, defensive end Carlos Dunlap, didn’t even play because he was suspended for being arrested and charged with driving under the influence. Without Dunlap, Alabama’s offensive line bullied Florida up and down the field to the tune of 490 yards, including 251 yards on the ground.

Dunlap and the more reliable Jermaine Cunningham, a former three-year starter at defensive end, are now in the NFL. Who remains to fill the void? Well, that’s why more than a few people are skeptical of UF’s defense.

The projected starters at defensive end are a bit of an odd couple. There’s senior Justin Trattou of Ramsey, N.J. He loves homemade Italian food but hates the TV show Jersey Shore. At the other end is Trattou’s best friend, senior Duke Lemmens, who is from posh Westlake Village of Ventura County, Calif.

Combined, the two players have accounted for nine sacks in three years.

“My name comes up a lot,” Lemmens said when asked about the defensive line” s perceived lack of experience. “I’ve just always been a serviceable backup my whole life. I know that. That’s what everybody says about me. I love it. They’re not lying.

“This is my chance to prove to everyone I can do more than that.”

The spotlight is new for Lemmens, but he has long been a valued member of the team in the locker room. His energy is infectious, according to his teammates, and Lemmens is one of the most colorful characters on the team.

“If you had a face of the program, he’s one of the faces,” coach Urban Meyer said.

Still, Meyer was hesitant to name Lemmens a definitive starter this week and he enters the third week of training camp unsure about the pass rush.

“I’m a little concerned,” Meyer said. “We’re used to having some freaks out there.”

Don’t let the lack of measurable statistics take away from Trattou’s and Lemmens’ value to the team, said defensive tackle Terron Sanders, another senior who’s looking forward to making a name for himself this season. To Sanders, UF’s defensive line is about strength in numbers — there was talk of a 12-man rotation this week.

“The last few years, we’ve been led by the linebacking core with Brandon Spikes and Ryan Stamper and them, and it’s our time to step up,” Sanders said.

“We have a lot of talent and maturity up front.”

And a lot to prove.

hcjournals#206623 writes:

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

since when is Lindy's 'obscure'...that and Street and Smith have been staples of pre-season football forever.

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

BTW, McCarney is a good coach. Always thought ISU was bone-headedly stupid for running him off.

volfaninutah writes:

I'm sure they'll find some freaks that know how to jab some eyeballs in the pile. I bet last years' freaks don't do it in the NFL. They'll get their azzes handed to them.

keepitreal4vols writes:

And I should care because ___________?

CroKev writes:

UF has reason to be concerned. I just saw where FSU picked up Wilder, someone both UF and UGA thought they would get. Wilder is a stud DE (or whatever he wants to be) or what Meyer would term, a "freak." I've been writing this for a long time: UF's biggest concern is not going to be another SEC team (though that's important!!), but rather the re-emergence of Miami and FSU. UF is not the only game in town anymore for Florida talent and their recruiting will reflect as much. They aren't going to fall on hard times per se, but they will find it harder to camp out consistently in the top-10.

chadavolic1976 writes:

Why in the world are you posting about FL??? Does anyone in the Tennessee give a flying %#@* about the Gators??? It must be pretty damn bad this season if these so called editors cant find anything better to post on this site besides this...wow!

westennvol writes:

Gators suck...who cares. I guess since Tebow isn't there anymore, Urban Crier has to get press somehow with manufactured "outrage"

EZVOL writes:

Who cares? No one north of I-10.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

I'm a little interested to see an offense where the ball is not snapped directly to the fullback.

A little...

UT37916 writes:

in response to pdhuff#552644:

A little...

They won a lot of games with that strategy. You and TJ are getting "a little" old ...

Down_The_Field writes:

a group of 19 and 20 year olds that have been worshiped and lauded all their lives and given a free education who actually think they matter in this world?

funny.

nocleats writes:

in response to Down_The_Field:

funny.

Lizardgrad89 writes:

in response to CroKev:

Wilder is being looked at as a RB or LB. Not as a DE.

We signed Ronald Powell last year, #1 DE in the country. He'll play some.

We also signed the #1 and #2 DT's in the country. They'll play some too.

I like how they focused on these two guys only (who were both 4 stars, just playing behind NFL caliber guys), ignoring other DE guys, like Greene and Powell, and the entire DT position.

But let me tell you, as someone close to the situation, we have no worries.

TommyJack writes:

in response to UT37916:

Whoa!! Don't group me in with that old fossil!

huntined#565710 writes:

He was wearing RED and BLACK when he chose FSU I thought the dude was GA bound...He is a HOSS!!! That was a BIG GET for FSU..

DC_Vol writes:

in response to Lizardgrad89:

Wilder is being looked at as a RB or LB. Not as a DE.

We signed Ronald Powell last year, #1 DE in the country. He'll play some.

We also signed the #1 and #2 DT's in the country. They'll play some too.

But let me tell you, as someone close to the situation, we have no worries.

Well Lizard are you closer to the program than the man who made this comment about your defensive front???

The truth is there are serious concerns with UF's defensive front. Weren't these the same guys who replaced your star defensive end during the SEC Championship game last year!!! Look how that turned out. You and all of your gator trolls stated in comment after comment last year that the loss of Dunlap would have no affect on your defensive front because these four star guys would replace Dunlap.

How did that turn out? Alabama rushed for 251 yards and provided an embarassing beat down of Florida on National TV.

Good teams will run all over Florida this year and without Tim Tebow converting first downs in the 3rd and short game, UF's defense will be more vulnerable than ever. Have you forgotten that Charlie Strong left your progam and your defense is in a coaching transition. Yeah you have nothing to worry about right. I am sure you aren't sleeping well at night and we both know Meyer isn't either.

FearTheVols1252 writes:

in response to westennvol:

Manufactured outrage… I like that. It perfectly describes yet another teams poor attempt at seeking bulletin board material to get them ‘fired up’. Pffft… whatever! What a waste of an article. Thanks for posting another Gator article KNS. I feel as though I was getting dumber as I read it.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to UT37916:

A "little old" is the best compliment I've had in a long time.

Thanks.

By the way, Tebow is hurt.

VOLliven2it writes:

GOVOLS is suppose to be about the University of Tennessee. It is not GOUF or GOGATORS. We don't care how mad they are that they haven't been anointed as Defense of the Decade. People everywhere are convinced the VOLS(as in GOVOLS)will be horrible in about all areas imaginable. I suppose our restroom facilities will be 12th in the SEC. We just hope they play up beyond all the degrading. As for UF we do not give a Gator's tooth about their being mad or how they will use that as motivation. Give me a break for heaven's sake.

nocleats writes:

in response to back2z1:

Lizardgrad89 writes:

in response to DC_Vol:

Never heard of coachspeak, I see.

Meyer is notorious for poormouthing in the spring and preseason. But tell me, if the DE's were really a concern for him, would he have moved Earl Okine, 6-7 280 lb FREAK, from DT/DE hybrid over to TE, which he did YESTERDAY?

Kinda doubt it.

UF will be fine this year. Better than fine, in fact. In time, you will see.

TommyJack writes:

Seeing more and more of the zz/dc posts. Hooker must want his job back.

OrangePride writes:

Disrespect? Florida should be carping about an issue of disrespect? These guys are so used to every paper and talking head fawning over them that they have lost touch with reality........and that includes their coach. I don't know if Florida's defensive line is 7th or 3rd or whatever. It's preseason and it doesn't matter! But one thing I am pretty certain about is that NO ONE is intimidated by the name Florida...at least not in Knoxville. GO VOLS!

DC_Vol writes:

in response to Lizardgrad89:

Never heard of coachspeak, I see.

Kinda doubt it.

UF will be fine this year. Better than fine, in fact. In time, you will see.

I am very familiar with coachspeak (if that is a a valid word).

This is not coachspeak as you say this is genuine concern.

Digital5000 writes:

Oh man, FL's D-line was rated #7.

They have more 4* and 5* d-linemen than they know what to do with. They'll be fine. Glad we're reading that FL is ready to go and motivated.

Enjoy Yourselves-

DC_Vol writes:

in response to DC_BackByPopularDemand:

Thanks DC,

Arent't these the same guys who were run over by Alabama in the SEC championship to the tune of 251 yards?

Doesn't it concern you that you will start two also rans at DE this year?

Doesn't it concern you that you have a new defensive coordinator?

Doesn't it concern you when Meyer says "I am concerned" about our defensive line?

Doesn't it concern you that Tebow won't be there to convert third and short causing additional additional pressure on your defensive line?

Come on DC be honest you are a little worried.

NeylandWest writes:

in response to Lizardgrad89:

Wilder is being looked at as a RB or LB. Not as a DE.

We signed Ronald Powell last year, #1 DE in the country. He'll play some.

We also signed the #1 and #2 DT's in the country. They'll play some too.

But let me tell you, as someone close to the situation, we have no worries.

"Looks to me like a UT writer trying to make you guys feel better about yourselves."

Did you bother to check out the writer of the article?

Typical.

DC_Vol writes:

in response to Moral_Victories_U:

Here write this down.

1 2 3 4 T
#1 FLA 3 10 0 0 13
#2 ALA 9 10 7 6 32

Tim Tebow couldn't do a thing, tears streaming down his cheeks as he watched the clock wind down on an ending that wasn't in his farewell plan.

Love this quote!

ragtag61 writes:

This is one of the most juvenile articles I have read (almost read – I gave up a few paragraphs into it) this season. How is this worth the “paper” on which it is written?

Colliervol writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Whoa!! Don't group me in with that old fossil!

"I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was."

Colliervol writes:

There must not be a Gator site as good as this one since these goofs like to visit here so much. But somebody would have to tell me about what theirs is like because I wouldn't dream of visiting. Anything an opposing fan has to say is of no interest to me. (They do provide mild comic relief from time to time though.)

Oh for the days when it was a pay site.

DaddyVol writes:

The only group ranked lower than FU's (er uh I mean UF's) defensive line is our offensive line.

So...let us see if our little ole choir boys are as motivated as the Gators are.

September 18...Neyland Stadium...bu bu bu BE THERE!!!

DaddyVol writes:

in response to back2z1:

back2Z1...Although I am a Tenneesee fan, I DO have to agree with you on this one.

I fully expect Demps to definitely take it to the end zone.

The one his azz gets knocked back into.

Anyone get the number of that truck?

NeylandWest writes:

in response to DC_BackByPopularDemand:

No one will care about stats, just wins. Like it or not, that's how it works.

Don't believe me? Look at Peyton's performances against the Gators. His numbers were great, but the ones that mattered were a big fat zero.

Chris4Vols22 writes:

As ridiculous as those guys are sounding, that's the attitude that champions have. I absolutely hate that I will be ending my 5 year academic career at UT without witnessing a single victory, or even a close game, over Florida. But at the same time, I've come to respect UF big time. I wish ALL of our players had that kind of intensity.

To all who want to harass and insult me for not saying something negative about UF, know that I've been at UT for 5 years working on a double major and a minor, before you try to take a jab at my intelligence.

Mule_Days_King writes:

I love trolls. They make this site fun. The kind of fun that you get when you step in a pile of dog sh*t and spend the next 20 minutes trying to clean off your shoe.

DC_Vol writes:

in response to DC_BackByPopularDemand:

Great comment about the change in UF Def Coordinator. "You welcome the change". Man if that doesn't say it right there Vol fans! DC just basically stated I have no confidence in my new DC. LOL.

Geez, "I welcome the change". Wow great support of your new DC. Thats all you got!

By the way, you can throw around as many nameless wonders on your DL that you want, but the fact remains that the professionals college scouts don't think much of your DL.

I will take their opinion over yours anyday.

Lastly, I want to refer to your illustrious statement one more time referring to your new DC. "You welcome the change"! Well DC, Vol Fans welcome the change too" LOL

Ralph_Crampton writes:

Fellow Vol fans...there is very little to be gained by beset about what is said about Florida...We Vol fans, according to what I read and hear are going to "DOWN" for several years. Just Like OU spent 12 years "Down" after a good whipping by Miami a couple of years...and then the scandel..which put Oklahoma out to pasture. The Vols it appears are in the same category...It would take a coach-rec ruiter like a young Doug Dickey to shorten our misery...but a guy like that comes along once in a generation. I still think that had Dickey stayed on at Tennessee with that super material he had recruited...The Vols would have won at least three more national titles. Maybe more.

DannyVol writes:

Football season is two weeks away and UT is in the middle of fall camp, yet this embarrassing excuse for a sports section is running a rather long article on Florida's d-line. Meanwhile, the KNS is publishing such informative and intriguing stories of its own about Dooley's hat and Cody Pope's vegetarian diet. If not for Ward and the new sringer there would be zero UT football news at a time when the rest of the SEC papers are in high gear with real analysis and insight. Some even have the nerve to write stories that make the season sound promising!

Throw in Adams' hateful tirades and that dispicable editorial cartoon published today and you come to the conclusion that Knoxville has the only SEC hometown newspaper that doesn't care at all about its readership. This is the least informed I have ever felt going into a season.

Before someone claims that practices are closed to the media, consider the fact that UT tried to extend an olive branch to this newspaper during the spring and that the KNS slapped it away.

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to Chris4Vols22:

You can un-pucker your lips now.

TommyJack writes:

in response to Chris4Vols22:

Indeed You're clearly a man of intelligencia. Bwahahahahaha

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to DC_BackByPopularDemand:

Thanks man for all the professional insight on the Gators.You are right,on paper they should give a good account on the field.However,remember,injuries,people not panning out etc equals a wait and see.Maybe we will be much better than you slander us to be.Maybe we will be as bad as you claim.Either way,we are very proud to be Volunteers and will take the field against you.Let the game begin and see what happens.Just remember,you are never as good as your best day and never as bad as your worst day.I know that as fact from 10 years of pro bowling.

Lizardgrad89 writes:

in response to DaddyVol:

I fully expect Demps to definitely take it to the end zone.

The one his azz gets knocked back into.

Anyone get the number of that truck?

Oooooooookay.

So tell me about these "trucks", specifically how guys that run a 5.4 40 are going to catch an Olympic-quality sprinter.

Note: I wouldn't be quite so confident if I hadn't watched Brandon James take multiple returns to the house against better UT teams than this one.

murrayvol writes:

in response to UT37916:

You obviously don't know these guys.

murrayvol writes:

"If you had a face of the program, he's one of the faces." - Urban Meyer

Brilliante!

murrayvol writes:

in response to Moral_Victories_U:

We wrote it down last year dimwit.

Loved the muted applause at the end of the game.

murrayvol writes:

in response to pdhuff#552644:

A "little old" is the best compliment I've had in a long time.

Thanks.

By the way, Tebow is hurt.

Smite him with your cane.

murrayvol writes:

FU's D line is in deep manure if they need motivation from a cheap rag's ranking.

Just rewind the SECCG. They be whinin' all night long.

westennvol writes:

in response to FearTheVols1252:

Thanks for compliment on my post FearTheVols1252!