Bray's 'freshmanitis' shows in scrimmage

Tyler Bray, freshman quarterback (2010)

Tyler Bray, freshman quarterback (2010)

Tyler Bray has been through a spring practice and three weeks of fall camp.

But as the Tennessee quarterback showed in Saturday afternoon's scrimmage inside Neyland Stadium, he's still a freshman.

"Tyler struggled today," Vols coach Derek Dooley said. "His freshmanitis really showed - clocks, situations, don't take a sack, throw it away, let's go, call the right play."

UT's third preseason scrimmage focused heavily on situational work, specifically four-minute situations when the offense is protecting a lead, and two-minute hurry-up situations.

Both exposed Bray's inexperience, as he was responsible for four interceptions.

"I've been there before," said quarterback Matt Simms, Bray's elder counterpart. "Some days it's just rough."

Dooley has stressed throughout fall camp Bray's struggles with managing the offense, which is what has the junior Simms ahead of Bray in UT's quarterback race.

"It's the ability to process the situation," Dooley said. "It's not just like (Bray) made a good decision versus he made a bad one, it's a whole managing the offense deal. It's hard."

For what the 6-foot-6, 210-pound Bray has physically with arm strength and accuracy, he's still struggling to grasp the mental side of playing quarterback, something that may require an adjustment from his coaches.

"When I talk about as coaches our balance of pushing the envelope schematically versus keeping it clean and tight and easy so the players can play fast," Dooley said, "there's no better example than with Tyler.

"Knowing what you've got to put on a quarterback to really be successful and win versus you do too much on him and take away all the things he does well, that's what we're going to have to really evaluate now going forward with how we manage him."

Simms, who threw his first scrimmage interception on a deflection and catch by defensive end Gerald Williams, knows from experience what Bray's next step must be.

"The biggest thing that I've learned," he said, "is when stuff does go wrong, to forget about it and move on," Simms said. It's really easy to say that, but it's tough to do sometimes in your head, especially at quarterback because you're in your own little world back there."

"I'm not here to beat up Tyler, he's (gotten) better," Dooley said.

"We put him in about nine situations where you've got to go win the game or don't screw it up, and it's tough on a true freshman."

Jumbled Mess: Dooley sounded exasperated when asked about his situation at defensive tackle, as a clear second starter alongside Montori Hughes has yet to emerge.

"It's going to be like that for 12 weeks," he said. "We're just going to play a bunch of guys."

Jackson Behind: Dooley was glad to have Janzen Jackson back for his first taste of live scrimmage action, though the sophomore safety showed rust after missing a week of practice with a hamstring injury.

"It was extremely important (having him back), and he's very behind," Dooley said.

"He hurt us a lot today because he missed so much practice, you could tell - made a lot of mental errors. He's going to need a ton of work."

Status Update: Safety Brent Brewer (groin) and linebacker Austin Johnson (ankle) were injured in Saturday's scrimmage. The extent of those injuries was unknown.

Linebacker Greg King and fullback Kevin Cooper also did not scrimmage Saturday.

Freshman receiver Justin Hunter, who's still awaiting the resolution of an issue with the NCAA Clearinghouse, also is working to strengthen a sore foot he injured during track last spring.

Patrick Brown is a freelance contributor.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Fulton_Vol writes:

Hang tough Tray. It will come to you if you work hard. I hoping that Matt and Tray will have a great year. Even if Tray only plays sparingly, the experience and reps will help him for the future. Good luck and Go Big Orange.

Orangeblood13 writes:

last I looked it's Bray

I think this team will be scrappy, can't wait

Tennacious writes:

Its a process Tyler. Don't get down. Keep pushing, keep trying. These are not just football lessons, these are life lessons. Press on.
Do your best. Don't get discouraged. Try to understand what the mistakes are and try not to repeat them. This is how you improve.
You learn more from failure than from success, if you focus on going forward. Don't dwell on the past, just use it to learn.

Fulton_Vol writes:

in response to Orangeblood13:

last I looked it's Bray

I think this team will be scrappy, can't wait

You're right it is. I just misspelled it or maybe I meant to type Tyler, either way it's a mistake on my part. It's not uncommon for me to make typing errors or grammar mistakes due to being dyslexic. My apologies to Tyler.

GerryOP writes:

in response to DC_BackByPopularDemand:

Yah, Alabama is going to be the test.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Yah, Alabama is going to be the test.

I see you noticed the troll!!! Good answer!!!

volfan2002 writes:

Coach Dooley said Tyler is better than he was at the beginning of practice an that is all I need to hear. He is gonna be a great QB it will all come to him, the mental part sometimes soon.That is all he needs he has all the physical tools.

1974Vol writes:

Many of you will remember Manning's Freshman year. He probably got it as quick as anyone and it still was not a thing of beauty. He came into that '94 Washington State game and almost lost the game on his first possession. Fortunately the WS DB dropped an easy INT. A fantastic goal line stand and a great call on a misdirection play saved the day 10-7. Best thing you can say is Peyton didn't make anymore dumb plays that day. Hope we are saying same thing about Bray when he gets his shot.

OwensboroVol writes:

Just take it in stride big guy. I remember another freshman who made all kinds of mistakes during preseason practice. You might know him, he plays for the Colts nowadays. From what I hear you have all of the physical requirements to be all american. The mental part will come. Just hang in there!!

Hillbilly_Orange writes:

in response to DC_BackByPopularDemand:

I hope Penn St. beats the s**t outta your cocky a*s. That'll bring you down a notch!

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to DC_BackByPopularDemand:

DC,this is really none of your dad gum business.If you would attend to your own business,you could move out of your 20 year old single wide and be able to remove that eye sore you have that is being held up by used concrete blocks.As for now,you are just a pile of du-g.

USNVOL writes:

in response to DC_BackByPopularDemand:

Why is it that you have to always call people names and make fun of others while you are hiding behind your computer.
I bet you are one of those people who couldn't fight your way out of a wet paper bag.A few minutes with a good fleet sailor and after you had your azz kicked until your nose bled, you would be much more respectful to others
Grow up you insecure small person.

NorthwestVol writes:

Normally Bray would red shirt this year, but this year is far from normal.

Thanks Tyler.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to back2z1:

sure do and you would not like it.He is the most stupid poster to ever grace the pages of this site.

pammyvol1000 writes:

I have faith that Tyler will improve with experience. He is young and just needs to learn along the way.

GerryOP writes:

in response to ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog:

I see you noticed the troll!!! Good answer!!!

Lil' DCgataboy? He is hard to miss...

GerryOP writes:

in response to back2z1:

He was being his usual juvenile self...

cgbtn writes:

Tyler should have left when Dooley was hired. He would have done well with Kiffin, but he and Dooley will never fit together. Neither is at fault, but Dooley does not want and will not recruit a pro-style QB. If Tyler ever plays, it will be this year because of an injury to Simms. If Simms stays healty for two years, Nance or Worley will replace him. Tyler needs to get out of town now. He is throwing away his eligibility in Knoxville.

Stepchild_nFL writes:

in response to Tennacious:

Really liked your post. Its so true. It's what makes life worth living. Dolphins just scored a 55 yard TD against the Jags. It's Football season. Yippy-yi-a. (spelling?)

Groundedvol writes:

Bray will be fine. He fits the physical part if he can add another 10 lbs, but needs to mature in football. He's still a young buck. But I believe with his arm strength and accuracy he is the future. Plus he will have a stable of studs at WR.

rockytopatl writes:

in response to cgbtn:

Nonsense. Dooley has already said both Simms and Bray will play this year and Bray will be a fixture in Neyland before he hangs it up. When you have no returning offensive linemen, you can count on your quarterbacks taking some shots. Nash may even be taking some snaps before it's all over this year. Long term, Bray will be a great QB at Tennessee.

USNVOL writes:

in response to FormerMarine:

Hey FormerMarine,
I bet the small person wouldn't be running off at the mouth around a bunch of jar heads or sailors.
You see them every day,all mouth and no azz.
Its easy for people like this dude to be bad behind a keyboard.
Have a great rest of the evening and thanks for your service.

tennezz writes:

in response to USNVOL:

Grow up you insecure small person.

DC can`t keep the nats fought off his rear end!

OrangePsyched writes:

Most of us thought that Simms would be the 1. Bray has way more upside but lot more downside also.

All things considered...Sim's is the right choice for right now. ROCKY TOP!

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

Nobody will see this....oh well.

My prediction, stated elsewhere:
CDD will send Tyler out with a scripted set of simple plays, mostly pitch and catch. Tyler may look better than Matt at times, but I hope true Vol fans will realize Matt is running the WHOLE offensive package, and trying to manage the game.

One thing I always, ALWAYS felt Jon Crompton did well was manage the offense. I think Tyer can get there, but it sounds like an 18 year old kid who has lived with a big arm now has to adjust to a LOT more complexity.

Patience, Vol fans, Patience. Both with Tyler AND with
Matt.

AppreciativeAlum writes:

It is really good to get your mistakes on film, so you can fix them.

10cvolnga writes:

Tyler, we all grow from our mistakes. Realizing our mistakes gets us closer to the answers. Hang in there and continue to grow. The coaches like you and recognize your talent. Your coachable character and talent will take you a long way. GBO!

vol98champ writes:

This site is making me hate the other 11 SEC teams. Is this the object of the opposing dummies who post here? In past years I even pulled for Bamma over Penn ST.

OrangePsyched writes:

I have no choice but to root for the other SEC teams as it makes Tn. and the conference look stronger. Also I want them rated as high as possible when we play them so if we win it makes us look better. I will root against Bama and Fla. in conference however.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to DC_BackByPopularDemand:

Look kid, you need to get your cute self somewhere that warrents people wanting to care about what you say. Nothing you rattle off here means anything to us. Once again, even though the Vols may be regrouping, this still bothers the trolls like you.
Why else are clowns like you here? If you were so sure of yourselves, why would you care to be here if you weren't concerned about the Vols?
Fellow kids/trolls like you and all the "ZZ" kids are cowards as it is obvious..........it's so easy to hide behind mom's computer and vent your frustrations toward some other schools that intimidate you. The so called "DC's and ZZ's are bored with life apparently.

Every time we see your presence, this is simply revealing to everyone how frustrated and insecure you are. Once again, you prove that Tennessee bothers you, and we have given up hope that kids like you will grow up.

No doubt, band wagon trolls who have big problems. Kids who never played any sports and trying to sound like "tough guys" here.

Yep, the Vols are on your minds and it shows.

JCforUTVols writes:

how is it, when a sports article of any kind turns into a bar brawl between commentators? Good luck to tyler, may he be ready when CDD does call his number! And after reading some of these posts, I can see why CDD keeps practices and scrimmages closed to the public. Go Big Orange!

TommyJack writes:

in response to always_vol:

Nobody will see this....oh well.

My prediction, stated elsewhere:

Patience, Vol fans, Patience. Both with Tyler AND with
Matt.

You have a great grasp of the obvious, Un.

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to TommyJack:

You have a great grasp of the obvious, Un.

Better than your 'grasp' of nothing.

Just curios: other than flaming others, why do you post?? You are not a fan, pretty much just a class A jerk, why bother?? Spend your time abusing those near you, seems to be your natural bent.

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

The interesting part will be to see how CDD works Bray in. Most coaches nowadays rarely work the sub QB (which I think is a mistake). Part of it has to do with game situation, part of it with keeping controversy down.

CDD has indicated he will play both, so at least fans are prepped for that.

jgm2qg writes:

TommyJack writes:

in response to always_vol:

Better than your 'grasp' of nothing.

I don't abuse anyone on here. Well, that's not totally true. Periodically, a moron like you appears, making the perfect target.
And who are you to judge my fandom?

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to TommyJack:

And who are you to judge my fandom?

nah, what I see out of you is thousands upon thousands of 'sanctimonious pr#ck' comments. you have some serious self-image issues.

TommyJack writes:

in response to always_vol:

So are you, or are you not, WorkinLikeHek from Louisiana? You have the exact self-important slant to your posts. Hmmmm?

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to TommyJack:

The only area of agreement you and I have is that we utterly, completely despise one another. The only area.

TommyJack writes:

in response to always_vol:

Sooo, you ARE WorkinLikeHek....glad to have you back...easy pickins.

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Sooo, you ARE WorkinLikeHek....glad to have you back...easy pickins.

sooooo, you are david duke??

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to TommyJack:

surmise all you want. you will be wrong. you have ZERO knowledge. too absorbed in your own opinions.

HtownVol writes:

Like I keep saying Tyler is going to be very good, but if you watch videos of Justin Worley I am honestly much more impressed with JW. I think that JW has all the physical attributes TB has and he appears to make better decisions. Just going by the clips I have seen.

I do know that if we can keep Justin, UT will be set at QB for the next 4-5 years. Add that to our outstanding WRs, Rajon Neal, Young TEs and James Stone, J James ,and the O-linemen incoming next year there are plenty of reasons to see that UT will be back very soon. The talent is there and it is up to this staff to make them into a championship team.

iowavol writes:

in response to NorthwestVol:

Normally Bray would red shirt this year, but this year is far from normal.

Thanks Tyler.

When's the last time we had a highly regarded quarterback redshirt?

Orangeatang writes:

in response to always_vol:

Nobody will see this....oh well.

My prediction, stated elsewhere:

Patience, Vol fans, Patience. Both with Tyler AND with
Matt.

Let's just forget Crompton ever played at UT. He's easily the worst QB we've ever had. The mistakes he made were unforgivable. With that being said, I don't like having a Simms in charge either. This could be a really frustrating year.

NorthwestVol writes:

in response to iowavol:

When's the last time we had a highly regarded quarterback redshirt?

That wold be in 2005 (Crompton).

But I get your point. Highly rated QBs don't usually redshirt. Still I suspect Bray would better off to sit and learn (and grow) for a year, but that's just isn't going to happen.

Pompey writes:

in response to volfan2002:

...Bray will not be evaluated on his mistakes, but will be evaluated on his response to those mistakes.....

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

sure wish TommyJack and Untamed would exchange emails and do their fighting somewhere else. This is going on on 2 different pages now. Stop!!!

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

done with the dude.

volsgirl writes:

Tyler you can do it.......