Barbara Dooley to kick off Knoxville Quarterback Club luncheons

Barbara Dooley

Barbara Dooley

Barbara Dooley, mother of Tennessee football coach Derek Dooley, will be the Knoxville Quarterback Club Kickoff Luncheon guest speaker, 11:30 a.m. Sept. 10 at the at the Downtown Marriott. Tickets are $25 for an individual and $500 for a table of 10. Table proceeds go to the LaTain McGhee Scholarship endowment.

Other guest speakers scheduled this season will be former Florida State coach Bobby Bowden, Tim Brando of CBS, former Vol Inky Johnson, Matt Hayes of The Sporting News, and men's basketball coach Bruce Pearl.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

mpm80#1357758 writes:

that is one pretty lady

CCLC writes:

in response to Agent_Orange:

LaTain Smith McGhee graduated Knoxville High School in January, 1944 and entered the Navy only eight days later. He served as a radioman mostly on the U.S.S. Lakewood in the Pacific. After the war, he attended the University of Tennessee where he received a B.S. in accounting and a minor in transportation in 1950. From 1950 to 1987, McGhee worked for the Tennessee Valley Authority.

CCLC writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

The difference is that the table puts money aside for the scholarship. If you want to pool 9 others together to do so ....
Not real excited about the one time First Lady wearing an Orange Boa.
just sayin

CCLC writes:

in response to mpm80#1357758:

that is one pretty lady

I concur. It seems all the women that spend anytime in the Classic City develop a radiance that is easy on the eyes.
just sayin'

CCLC writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Nope....I don't believe they do.

suttree writes:

I'm sure Mrs. Dooley is a golden human and excellent speaker . . but can we not find an equally interesting speaker with a UT bent? Totally support CDD and I like the needed backbone he is bringing to the program but still pause over a main rival's beloved coach's son taking our reigns.

mrvol2u writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Double the fun, have her and CBP at the same time. I would pay $50 for that one.

ncvol17 writes:

let the season begin...

CCLC writes:

in response to suttree:

I-A-
Response to your the first part of your post
Bent:
1 a : a strong inclination or interest : bias.

Apparently you have.

CCLC writes:

in response to suttree:

orangecountyvols writes:

CCLC

Are you now officially becoming a spokesman for events taking place with regard to Tennessee athletics? Seems every other post has CCLC connected to it. If this means you are now a full fledged Vol fan then welcome. Otherwise, Georgia is leaving a spot vacant for you there.

TennVol01 writes:

Attendees will very likely hear some embarrassing stories about Coach D. Dooley growing up. Throw in Bobby Bowden and Bruce Pearl and you easily get your money's worth. I do not recognize the other names. I will have to look them up. Like they say, the memory goes first.

CCLC writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

CCLC

its a trick!!!!!....there are two of us.LOL
What spot does Georgia have for me?
Just sayin'

Down_The_Field writes:

i'd rather watch the opener on TV and watch her live. i'll bet she's a hoot.

OrangeDew writes:

in response to TennVol01:

Bowden, Pearl and the others will be speaking at other luncheons later in the season, only Mrs. Dooley at this one.

suttree writes:

in response to CCLC:

I applaud your cut/paste talents. It is a special skill you should run with.

My point is lost on you though . . . I'm sure Tom Osbourne's wife is splendid too . . but I doubt the faithful in Norman, OK would be jumping for joy if she came to town to speak. No more so than Athens, GA would be "excited" about Vicky Fulmer strolling in to talk about all the wit and wisdom she has picked up since UT won the championship in '98.

Again . . I support CDD and respect his family . . but would rather all his JawGa kin remain in Athens.

AWOLVol writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

And if anyone could speak with authority on "hilarous" football, it would be a Vandy grad. ;-)

FearThisElephant writes:

For the life of me I cannot believe any of you would question the decision of issuing a invitation to Barbara Dooley to speak any place at any time. She's forgot more about life & football that us armchair QB's will ever know. I can assure you she would be, and is, welcome at any SEC event as the guest speaker. QB clubs in Baton Rouge, Tuscaloosa, Gainesville, to Norman and all points in between would welcome her as a guest speaker and you want to complain. At least do a small amount of research before beat your chest and proclaim your ignorance. As the keyboard turns....

suttree writes:

in response to bankofdad3:

You, sir, are a Vol fan with zero pride. I assume you are cutting checks to help with the UNC buyout. We could use less of you.

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to suttree:

Why do you have a problem with Barbara Dooley speaking at a UT function?

CCLC writes:

in response to suttree:

I applaud your cut/paste talents. It is a special skill you should run with.

Apparently, I already have run with that talent. If Ms Fulmer was speaking at an "JawGa" function in support of "JawGa" as well as her daughter who I assume would be Coaching a "JawGa" team in your senario ... I would accept it and be thankful she wasn't coaching our football team. I would hope she had garnered some of her fathers coaching abilities and I would be proud she was from a strong southern family with an SEC tradition and not from Hollywood. I am glad you are willing to accept/all those "JawGa" football players ...who often make up the backbone of your team though.
just sayin'

pms151 writes:

in response to bankofdad3:

Speak for yourself.

VOLliven2it writes:

Now let me get this straight the Knoxville QB club is having Barbara Dooley, Bobby B., Inky J., Coach Pearl, Matt Hayes(ok) to speak at the luncheon. Who brought in Tim Brando? That is a shocker for me. All the others have a nod but Brando, I don't know about that one. Relax about Barbara, she will do fine. As for a former rival's son as our coach, a)note the word former, b)remember he did not play for that former rival.

Mr_Brownstone writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

BONES DID LIE

SAID N. STEPHENS WOULD BE STARTER OVER J. CROMPTON LAST SUMMER.

SORRY - TRUTH NEVER LIES.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to FearThisElephant:

Totally Agree!! It's a luncheon not a super bowl press conference;It's supposed to be light hearted and fun..You also have Bowden and Pearl;2 pretty animated coaches..$25 gets you your choice of tables by the kitchen door and any scraps you can grab off the tray as they go by..

Vol43 writes:

in response to WitchDoctorsDaddy:

yep, this could get entertaining.