Dooley to put Vols through 'mock game'

The fresh faces are getting a test run.

And that doesn't mean just the players.

Count Derek Dooley among the newcomers making sure Tennessee is prepared for every aspect of a game day and all the traditions that come along with it, starting with a Vol Walk and including virtually every detail that follows it in a game simulation scheduled for tonight. Dooley obviously knows the intricacies and what he's responsible for as a coach in general, but he's had to spend some extra time doing homework on the rest of the stuff specific to his new gig that he'll be trying out at Neyland Stadium.

"I've been doing my research on the traditions and the (newcomers) haven't," Dooley said after practice Tuesday. "So, it's going to be my job to educate them on the traditions and how we're going to use them. Traditions are only good if you truly embrace them.

"If you say we're doing this but you don't really invest in it and do it the right way, then you may as well not do it."

The Vols are planning to do it all out during their last significant dress rehearsal before scaling back and starting preparations for the season opener against UT Martin next week.

That means they'll march into Neyland Stadium down Peyton Manning Pass and Phillip Fulmer Way. The Game Maxims will be recited, and the Vols will run through some sort of 'T.'

"We're having a mock game tomorrow, which means we're going to do a walkthrough of everything to get ready for the first game - starting with the Vol Walk, our pre-game in the locker room, the Maxims," Dooley said. "We're going to run out, pretend like there's a 'T' - I might get the media in attendance to form the 'T' so we can run out. Halftime, what do we do when we come back in the locker room after pre-game. All those little things (like), 'Where do I sit?' We're going to walk through it.

"Then we're going to have a scripted, substitution (game), running plays, punt, being aware of situations, field goal, making the calls, doing the sideline adjustments, communication on the headsets. We're going to do a real, dry run-through as best we can simulate. We're going to have the Jumbotron. That will be cranking because we have to get used to the distraction of the music and the TV. We've got all these new faces on our team, so we've got to try to simulate the environment as best we can."

Obviously there's no real substitute for a packed stadium and an actual opponent, though both of those will still have to wait.

But for a team that's certainly short on experience and stocked with young guys, Dooley isn't cutting any corners when it comes to preparing them for what they can expect. And he's also getting an opportunity to make sure he's got all the details right as well.

"You guys (in the media) will be evaluating outside the locker room," Dooley joked. "Inside the locker room I have nobody evaluating me, which is how I like it with the team.

"The (traditions) we're going to hone in on, we're going to do it right. I believe in that, otherwise we shouldn't do it."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

rockytopatl writes:

Rucker has already Tweeted that he's skipping this little exhibition. Good for him. From a writer's standpoint, if you aren't allowed to cover the real scrimmages, why show up for the dog and pony show?

TnTravelerVol writes:

It's football time in Tennessee! Great for you and me. Go Vols

BleedsOrangeinMO writes:

MAY THE TENNESSEE TRADITIONS LIVE FOREVER.
I believe we have a coach who will do his best to not only keep the UT Traditions but add to the winning history of UT Football.
GO VOLS . . . WE ARE UT !!!

NorthwestVol writes:

Nice. Someone who appreciates tradition.

BradleyJKinkaid writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

It's not a dog and pony show. It's getting the team ready to play!

And as far as Rucker goes, I like him but he sounds like a whiner. The media will have plenty to write about once the season begins, good or bad.

LET'S GO BIG ORANGE!

TommyJack writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

Well, gee. Maybe they will cancel the thing, what with Rucker not there.

Seriouslyorange writes:

Our guy is the real deal! Class and savvy all rolled into one! We are lucky!

196SVol writes:

in response to bartlett79:

10ECMATT writes:

I shook Kiffin's hand last year during the Vol Walk for the UCLA game. Before I heard this I was thinking about going to a middle eastern country and stealing something to get it removed. This is a much better idea. Too bad my ticket is not refundable.

Fulton_Vol writes:

Please put the team back in dress clothes for the Vol walk. I did not like the black warm-up suits last year. Dress clothes give the guys an air of business, honor and pride while the warm-up suits just look sloppy. I remember eating dinner with the Lady Vols during a regional at WKU. Both UT and Long Beach State ate at the same restaurant in Bowling Green, KY. The Lady Vols were dressed like professional women going out to eat and the players from LBS wore a mix of gym clothes and beach wear which resulted in them looking sloppy. My father always said you dress for success.

10ECMATT writes:

in response to Fulton_Vol:

Very true. Just be careful about the Lady Vols opponents. Remember what happened to Don Imus. Man I'm bored.

POTSVol (Inactive) writes:

Hey Dooley, call over to the music dept. and see if Sousa would be willing to let the marching band form the T for you all. I think he'd be up for it if it's not some sort of NCAA violation, which I don't think it would be since no recruits would be there. He's had the band go play Rocky Top before during a couple of their practices in the past when I was a student and member of the Pride. I don't think most of the kids would mind either. LOL Heck, I'd drive from Cookeville to do that just one more time.

DannyVol writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

Our debate about Adams is coming more into focus now because your post sounded exactly like him.

OrangeinCarolina2 writes:

Coach Dooley continues to impress me and I'm getting fired up about Tennessee Football! Come on Vols, send the naysayers packing. Dig deep, play to your potential, play with heart and pride, show integrity on and off the field. It's football time in Tennessee! GO VOLS!

VOLinAthensGA writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

WTF? Who care about the scrimmages anyway? Maybe he should go cover USC football if he has an issue with Coach D's policies. I think his approach to the traditions and the banning of the media has been great. If you think it is a dog and pony show than why are you a fan? These are kids he is dealing with.

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to DC_BackByPopularDemand:

Speaking of traditions, how many DUI arrests are the lizards looking at this year?
Speaking of traditions, how about that tradition of you speaking when not spoken to?

KnoxKiffin writes:

in response to WEAREBETTERTHANVANDY:

There is no doubt that UT will win this game.

KnoxKiffin writes:

in response to OrangeinCarolina2:

That would be a welcome change from recent tradition.

GOBIGO72 writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

Why is it all about him (Rucker)? Society has become so self-centered it will be our downfall. Why can't Rucker accept the leadership's position and remember his place as an observer instead of someone who thinks that their needs should be a priority for this team? BUT, what has Rucker's comments been about Haynesworth or Favre, I wonder? I don't know, haven't seen any, so can't comment, but I would be interested to know his opinion of others who display the same childish mannerisms.

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to GOBIGO72:

I like Rucker's writing but I can't take his constant whining about having to, get this, DO HIS JOB. Just stop pizzing and moaning for Pete's sake.

jjsteel writes:

Open the gates and I'm sure a crowd will show to help simulate noise.

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to slaw_way:

If the KNS continues to post junk about him, then yes, people will be suckered into hitting the "Comment" button.

Down_The_Field writes:

time to go pick out my annual game day VOL tee-shirt.

gnm53108 writes:

What time are they doing the Vol walk?

I'm gonna be in town with the boss and son for a conference the next two days...can I take my boy to his first VOL walk?

Jesus1Family2Career3Vols4 writes:

I don't care if CLK bought into Tennessee Tradition or not! But it is great to see CDD getting involved with The Great Traditions. Sounds like he is meticulously organized. I sure hope this team of 72 scholarship athletes and coaches are well organized and play with discipline and desire. Very anxious for the Opening Kickoff. Will know more around 10 P.M. on Sept. 11th-after the Quack Attack Game. It was 69 degrees out in Eugene, Or on Monday. Looking at the weather reports from Eugene they have a couple of days (mornings) were the temperature is dropping into the high 40's. I sure hope the temperature and humidity of The South affects them like it did the Cal Bears when they came to Rocky Top back in '06! I sure hope we play good right out of the box!

How 'bout them Vols?

kevin151 writes:

UT is a lock in this game...

VOLinATL writes:

Like the attention to detail, and I love that he cares about the traditions, as that is what makes college football so great! Remove those, and it becomes just minor league football. Give 'em heck, Tennessee!

fronix5000 writes:

in response to Mule_Days_King:

I'd like to add this to the conversation...it is self-explanatory:

rootin4volz writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

Just like the media, to puff up like a toad when they don't get their way.

TommyJack writes:

in response to VOLstuckINky:

Hey Wes. You know you're catching on when posters start calling you a piece of @%@%. Welcome to the show!!

richvol writes:

in response to VOLinATL:

Exactly...I love Dooley's attention to detail. His focus on details will show in his team's performance.

His embracement of our game maxims should improve our kicking game and it's desperately needed. Games are won in the kicking game. Aside from blocking and tackling it's the most important factor in determining the winner of a game.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

That is some validation.

Kinda like when you're called a Fulmerite,troll,kool-aider....thats when you know you fit in.

utfan36 writes:

UT WINS BY 50 THAT WOULD BE A GREAT START BACK TO TRADITION

gnm53108 writes:

in response to richvol:

Yep.

Just dont forget to hold on to the ole pigskin.

Really hate fumbles...even more than the bounce pass.

EMBuckles writes:

Um, I THOUGHT that UT already HAD "mock games" against UT-Martin and against Vanderbilt! Sorry, 'scuse me, couldn't resist! Snicker!

ellerbee123 writes:

EVERYONE NEEDS TO READ THE LAST SENTENCE OF THIS ARTICLE............

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to TommyJack:

How long until he reaches Hooker or Adams status?
Oh, wait. Rucker can actually form coherent thoughts. Never mind.

nothinglastsforever writes:

in response to 10ECMATT:

I shook Kiffin's hand at one of the caravan events last year, and it was a dead fish.

amcdougle writes:

in response to jjsteel:

Open the gates and I'm sure a crowd will show to help simulate noise.

i was just thinking to myself, that if I left at 12:00 today I could be there in time to watch all this. I could atleast chear until I lost my voice, then I could hold a sign up or something.

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to 10ECMATT:

Just scrub your hand three times a day and never touch anything that nasty again, and you should be fine. Hopefully, there are no adverse effects from that encounter. GBO!!

rockytopatl writes:

in response to DannyVol:

You have never been a sports writer, so quit trying to pretend you know something about sports journalism.

RockyTop1_old writes:

in response to Fulton_Vol:

I totally agree, also removing the MP3 from them would help as well. I always appreciated the "old" VOL Walk when our men looked like men on a mission! I hope CDD considers this one! GBO, IGTBATV!!

volsfan74 writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

What a whiner, he is a great writer but an even GREATER whiner! Your part of the media your not a (THE) God, regardless of what you think. I'm fairly sure CDD will still manage the dry run just fine without Mr. Rucker there.

rockytopatl writes:

in response to volsfan74:

Please repeat and translate the second sentence into English.

tnsportsman writes:

in response to BleedsOrangeinMO:

MAY THE TENNESSEE TRADITIONS LIVE FOREVER.
GO VOLS . . . WE ARE UT !!!

RIGHT ON BleedsOrangeinMO!

Excellent work by CDD on endearing and preserving TENNESSEE TRADITIONS! IMO, CDD sees a 16 year or so run like our last 2 great coaches did!

ITS FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

Count_Me_In writes:

in response to BamaBeacher:

Huttdawg100 writes:

in response to ellerbee123:

EVERYONE NEEDS TO READ THE LAST SENTENCE OF THIS ARTICLE............

My contempt and loathing for all things California grows exponentially with each nanosecond. What a waste of space!

SunshineVol writes:

"And though Dooley has compared the actual game to the Harlem Globetrotters against the Washington Generals, there will be plenty of work on the field as well."

Is he referring to TN-Martin?

CarbonCopy (Inactive) writes:

in response to VOLinAthensGA:

Agreed, attention to detail is usually the mark of a winner..........and making the media whine

NeylandWest writes:

Does this mean the photos and videos of Reggie Bush and all-things USC have been removed from our trophy case?

It's about d@mned time!