Former UT QB Andy Kelly will be sideline reporter for Vol Network

Former Tennessee standout quarterback Andy Kelly has been named the Vol Network’s sideline reporter for UT football broadcasts this fall. Kelly will team with Bob Kesling, Tim Priest and Brent Hubbs to describe the play-by-play action of Tennessee football over the 70-plus stations that make up the Vol Network.

Kelly was a three-year starter at quarterback for Tennessee from 1988-91 and led the Vols to back-to-back SEC Championships in 1989 and 1990. With Kelly as the starter, the Vols went 24-5-2 and played in three straight New Year’s Day bowl games. He was named Most Outstanding Player of the 1991 Sugar Bowl and earned second-team All-SEC honors his senior season. He left UT as the career leader in total offense, passing yardage, attempts, completions and touchdowns.

After his collegiate career, Kelly participated in training camps with the Arizona Cardinals (1992) and Pittsburgh Steelers (1994) of the NFL and spent two seasons playing for the Rhein Fire (1995-96) of the World League.

Kelly is best known for his illustrious career in the Arena Football League, where became the most prolific quarterback in AFL history over the course of his 16 seasons with nine teams. Kelly set several all-time AFL career passing records, including touchdown passes, passing yards, pass attempts and pass completions. In an April 2007 AFL playoff game, he became only the fourth quarterback in football history to throw more than 800 career touchdowns. After retiring from football following the 2007 season, Kelly served as the offensive coordinator for the AFL’s Georgia Force in 2008.

Kelly served as a color analyst on regional televised replays of Tennessee’s football games with the late Bob Bell a number of years ago before his playing career forced him to give it up. Out of high school, Kelly was the top quarterback prospect in the state of Tennessee after earning Gatorade All-America honors at Rhea County High School in Dayton. Kelly currently lives in his hometown of Dayton with his wife and young daughter.

DaVols writes:

Yeah, Andy. I always liked him as a quarterback. You felt like you had a Shot to win no matter what.

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

Cool, welcome back, Andy!!! GBO

Volunatic writes:

One of my favorite Vol QBs of all time.

Volunatic writes:

in response to DaVols:

Good point. The ND '91 game comes to mind. GO VOLS!!!

ddayvolsfan#238252 writes:

To this day I can still feel the excitment of the Tennessee vs. Notre Dame game in South Bend. Kelly to Hayden, five, four, three, two, one...Touchdown Tennessee and the Vols beat the Irish in South Bend!!!! Welcome home Andy!!!

Southland writes:

Andy Kelly was my favorite Vol. QB of all time. No, he wasnt as talented as Peyton or even T but he sure did manage to do some great things and was fun to watch.

jjsteel writes:

in response to Volunatic:

Good point. The ND '91 game comes to mind. GO VOLS!!!

What a game....stunned the Irish at their house.

cookvol1 writes:

I had some friends that went to South Bend in 91 and even when we were trailing, the irish fans kept saying they were worried because we had #8 at QB.They were right to be worried!!

LiveFaith writes:

91' UTvND! Wow, I'll never forget. Live in an apt and ran down to get a car wash. When I got back we were being spanked. Looked like ND was going to beat us 52-3. Then that blocked FG changed everything.

Kelly led the charge for the miracle.

That's the good news. The bad is that he did the same thing in 90', but underthrew Harper by just enough to get picked in the end zone so ND saved the win. 1' higher and we win. Gotta give AK props for going for the win there tho. Ugggh.

Ayres_Hall writes:

Andy Kelly. He was born in the backwoods of Rhea County and raised on a log. He was thick skinned like an aligator and he had a game face like a hog.

DooleysOrangePants writes:

nobody threw a better deep ball than kelly. my all time favorite qb at UT. UT-35 Notre Dame-34. i'll never forget it.

RoadTrip writes:

This is really good news - another Vol legend from the championship teams of the past jumping on the bandwagon. Welcome, Andy! GBO!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

Like everyone else, my fondest memory of Andy is the Miracle at South Bend..I was watching that game with my mom and remember thinking that we had no chance to win..Never quit watching and was determined to watch the whole game even though the Vols were getting slammed..I guess deep down I never gave up.

MiserableFloridaVol writes:

Andy Kelly was my favorite as a kid! Love that guy!

Bigger_Al writes:

I still have my #8 white Andy Kelly jersey. Broke it out again for Crompton, then put it back away because of Crompton. Then got it out again because of Crompton. Now leaving it out for Tyler Bray! (Plus, my 7-yr old's team wears orange jerseys, and he is #8!)

username writes:

So what happened to Francis?

tnsportsman writes:

Welcome home Andy! One of the best QBs all time at Tennessee! Rub some of your skills on the heads of Matt & Tyler, LOL. Lay your hands on them, amen!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

pj_ladyvolnMI writes:

in response to Volunatic:

Good point. The ND '91 game comes to mind. GO VOLS!!!

Definitely!! I got to be there for that amazing game, and loved flying the Vol flag on my car driving back to Indy from South Bend. A fabulous day.

pj_ladyvolnMI writes:

in response to ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog:

Good memory. My mom, who was a huge Vol fan with season tickets, had died a number of months before that game. It had been a tough year, and I was convinced as I left Notre Dame's stadium that day (my first game since her death) that the game had been won just for me.

chrisw2967 writes:

Andy was a class act and still is.The ND game will always be remembered in alot of peoples minds.If any one player loved UT Andy is the one.He wanted to play at Tn since he was old enough to play football.

punkin writes:

Andy and Cory Fleming tore it up in the Arena league. I wish he could have got a better NFL shot. Good news

Sweet_T writes:

As a fellow native of our beloved Dayton, I can say that we're all incredibly proud of Andy and thrilled for him. I'm looking forward to his sideline contributions this year.

orangecountyvols writes:

Remember the look on Granny Holtz's face, assuming N D was going to hit the late field goal to beat the Vols? Priceless.

He started to make the triumphant run to congratulate the Irish and when Lincoln deflected the kick.....
Granny stopped...............as if frozen in time.

The big play by Miley was a game changer !

volsgirl writes:

WELLCOME HOME ANDY ....GO VOLS

TommyJack writes:

Yeah, he was solid QB. Managed game well and made few errors.

tennesseebee writes:

Brent Hubbs is from Rivals Radio. Satelite. Great that AK is back @Tennessee, in whatever capacity. What a great and exciting Tennessee quarterback!

tennesseebee writes:

in response to tennesseebee:

My bad- Brent Hubbs is from Volquest the rivals pay-site. He is a frequent guest on Rivals Radio, however

rockytopatl writes:

in response to Balderdash:

Not to mention Bumbling Bob and Way Too Country Tim Priest. Kelly's a good pickup, though.

ncvol17 writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

I disagree. I love Priest. A true VOL hero and a hard line Vandy hater...I like his insight. He can crack me up w/ his stories..to each his own I guess..

richvol writes:

Andy Kelly was a great,great quarterback. He is one of the top three qb's in UT history in my opinion along with Tee and Peyton.

The Notre Dame game at Neyland,although we lost,was one of the greatest games I ever saw anywhere. I will never forget the hair on my body standing up when we recovered that onside kick. The noise of the crowd was so loud the stadium actually shook. It was incredible. Kelly was brilliant that day.

ncvol17 writes:

I was at the SB game that cold cold but cloudless day. The grotto, the chapel, TD Jesus, and a big VOL win. The ND fans were so very complimentary to our group after the game. Had to re-evaluate their fan base after that. Oh yeah, the VOL pregame festivities in their Hockey arena was cool as well...

rockytopatl writes:

in response to ncvol17:

I have no problem with Priest's analysis, which is usually spot on. It is just that voice, which, to put it kindly, is not broadcast quality. His accent works to reinforce the Tennessee hayseed stereotype.

In my mind, John Ward and Bill Anderson were the greatest college radio broadcast team of all time. They will never be duplicated, equalled or excelled.

Mobbdeep4life writes:

in response to Volunatic:

Good point. The ND '91 game comes to mind. GO VOLS!!!

You brought back an oldie but goodie. I remember watching that game in Clement Hall lobby. When UT won you would have thought the dorm was on fire. My ears are still ringing.

Mobbdeep4life writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Granny stopped...............as if frozen in time.

The big play by Miley was a game changer !

Floyd was grinning from ear to ear the next day. That was an exciting game.

Down_The_Field writes:

peyton manning for president!

volhome writes:

One more, back home where he belongs. Now when Peyton retires if he can get home to the UT sidelines as a coach, and we can get Tee supporting, we have the best of all worlds.

jawbreaker writes:

in response to brownsvillevol:

My seats were in the South end zone, and that pass was just down and to my left. Rather than a poorly underthrown ball, I remember seeing an incredible play by the ND defensive back, catching the ball at the height of a spectacular leap. I have never faulted Andy Kelly for that play, and I have never seen my then 14 year old son madder or more disappointed.

crimsonviper writes:

in response to username:

So what happened to Francis?

He finally lightened up.

RockyTopVolFan writes:

Great to see Andy Kelly will be back on the sidelines.

Now if they would just get rid of the terrible Bob Kesling! Kesling cannot hold John Ward's jockstrap, much less be a good enthusiastic announcer. Kesling lulls me to sleep so I turn audio off when he is blabbing.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

Awesome. From just up the road from me in Dayton. Good guy.

69vol08 writes:

Glad to have you back on the sideline, Andy! One of my all time favorite UT quarterbacks!

TommyJack writes:

in response to crimsonviper:

He finally lightened up.

Good one, Vipe.

JohnnyU writes:

One thing Kelly could do that Peyton didn't do so well, and that was the fade to the end zone. Didn't hurt that he had Carl Pickens outjumping the DB for the ball. Great stuff.

ThaiVolFan writes:

i can honestly handle Priest but I sure wish we could somehow replace Bob. He is just awful, what makes it worse is he followed John Ward. What a change of pace. Let Bob call the BB games, but find someone else to cover the football games. Heck, if Kelly does a good job, let him have it. At least he will have a good football i.q.
GO BIG ORANGE!

hcjournals#206623 writes:

I was in South Bend. I was going down to get a Coke when I heard a thud....We blocked their kick, ran it back for a touchdown and I'll never forget standing in line laughing that we were still in the game.....Top 5 memory........

bigtimevol writes:

Like everyone, I remember South Bend. But, the Arkansas Cotton Bowl win also is a favorite. Chuck Webb ran all over them, and Andy Kelly hit Morgan, I believe, for a TD bomb.

KnoxKiffin writes:

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to naffy:

Bob Kessling is a horrible announcer, and Brent hubbs may be a football genius, but his announcer voice leaves a lot to be desired

utfan36 writes:

andy kelly is a great guy went to high school with him still see him time to time i think it was the yaer we put it to maimi he played with a broke jaw that is though think its great hes back at ut

utfan36 writes:

he made rhea county proud and i know he made the late coach bill horton proud i beleave him and jason fizgerald was the first to make it to d1 school from rhea county and jason went to auburn and is now the head coach at rhea county who coached kevin revis and josh davis that are at ut now be glad to see them play one day GO VOLS