Dooley warns Vols: stay out of trouble

Game-week work starts on Monday

Tennessee's fall camp ended Friday with a smile - a tired but appreciative smile.

Coach Derek Dooley dismissed the team for a two-day weekend before resuming game-week preparations on Monday.

"It's important that we're fresh this first game,'' Dooley said. "When you give 'em two days off in a row, the recovery is about 10 times what it is for one day.

"Hopefully on Monday we'll be ready for a good game week.''

The opener is 6 p.m. next Saturday against UT Martin (TV: pay-per-view).

UT traditionally has held a kicking scrimmage on the Saturday morning before the opener, but Dooley has his own ideas.

"I think it's important that they get at least two days in a row,'' he said. "Up to this point, they've had a day here, a day there, but two in a row, it's amazing what it does for the body.''

Said senior linebacker LaMarcus Thompson, "We're not complaining, trust me.''

All in all, Dooley said it has been a satisfactory camp. The Vols opened practice on Aug. 4.

"I've felt like we've made progress every day, I really have,'' Dooley said. "The jury, of course, our first trial is next Saturday. That's what really matters. That's where we'll find out.''

Since losing defensive linemen Ben Martin and Marlon Walls to season-ending injuries early on, the Vols have emerged relatively healthy. Dooley said it's good to have safety Janzen Jackson, one of the few players sidelined by a nagging injury, back at full-go the last week.

"He's catching up,'' Dooley said. "He's not where he would be if he had the whole camp but he's doing really well.''

Time off can sometimes be a temptation that leads to off-the-field trouble.

Dooley sent the Vols into the weekend with a strong warning to avoid bad decisions - like the ones that led to the July 9 bar brawl.

"You read it every day,'' he said, "another incident on one of our Southeastern Conference teams (Georgia), an incident out in the Pac-10 (Oregon State). You read it every day, there's an incident of a bad choice.

"Our number-one game maxim is the team that makes the fewest mistakes will win. It's the same thing in life. Don't go out there and make mistakes this weekend.''

Defense Says: Thompson said the defense has gotten on the same page since the start of fall camp, its first under coordinator Justin Wilcox.

"We've definitely come a long way, just from assignments and alignments, getting every thing down, becoming one unit and getting that chemistry together,'' Thompson said.

"That chemistry is one of the important things a defense has. If one guy is wrong, the defense falls apart.''

Offense Says: Senior receiver Gerald Jones was handing out compliments.

"I'm excited about the receivers and the quarterbacks,'' he said, "but more than anything I'm really excited about our linemen. They've really come a long way and I would have to say they make this offense run. And they show positive results week by week, getting better.''

All five starters will be new on the line.

The Few, The Proud: The transition from Phillip Fulmer to Lane Kiffin to Dooley has taken a toll on what could have been an impressive senior class. Jones was a member of the 2007 signing class that was ranked as high as No. 2 in the nation.

"(Former assistant coach) Trooper Taylor told me my freshman year, 'look around, all these guys you see now, they won't be here,' '' Jones said. "I'm thinking, 'We're the No. 2 class in the nation, we're gonna be here.'

"But I look around and there's only a couple of us.''

Fleet Cleat: Jones is excited about getting to return kicks again. He hasn't done so since 2008.

"The last time I was out there was my sophomore year and I was 205, 210 (pounds),'' he said. "I'm a little faster now so I can't wait to see what I can do out there.

"I'm about 200, but I'm a little leaner and my cleats aren't as heavy like they were my sophomore year. We wore these big old cleats. We've finally got some low-tops.''

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

mdvol writes:

We are going to surprise some damn people.
We will upset either Florida or Alabama.

jovols writes:

Take care team and have a great weekend. Follow the first maxim and make no mistakes. We can't wait to see the first result of this years team. We true Vol fans are behind you 100%. Go Vols

mercyseat writes:

Other than a mandatory curfew,how can you expect these kids to stay straight? I think all the athletes should be made to wear those alcohol bracelets (like Linsay Lohan) at night when they are allowed out. Now that would cut down on their drinking and underage drinking alot.

elbtenn#502977 writes:

in response to mdvol:

We are going to surprise some damn people.
We will upset either Florida or Alabama.

Would rather beat Alabubba than Florduh!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

8 more days 'til football season..well I guess it's less than 8 now..I think hubby and I are gonna order it and watch it at home and grill out some chicken...We were going to a sportsbar, but we found out it closed down.

RollTideJoe writes:

423tiger18 writes:

in response to mdvol:

We are going to surprise some damn people.
We will upset either Florida or Alabama.

I agree... I also think we'll beat the Ducks

Can't wait...Go Vols!!!

423tiger18 writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

The way I remember it,the Vols blew it by not being able to kick a field goal.You guys won the game but you definitely knew the Big Orange had been in town...Good Luck to the Tide this year except for a certain Saturday in October!!

Go Vols!!

tree_em_smokey writes:

in response to elbtenn#502977:

Would rather beat Alabubba than Florduh!

Vice versa is my preferance. But I think beating Bama is a greater possibility since we play Florida so early in the year. Either way I think a win against either team is a long shot, but not impossible. Beating Oregon IMO, is a more likely upset. I hope we win em all. I will be cheering for them even if we lose them all, as long as they are putting their heart in it. Or "working like heck"! Haha. Sorry I couldn't resist. GBO!!!!

The7Maxims writes:

I'm excited and proud. We have a core group of leaders on this team that has really shown a lot of heart: Walker, Jones, etc. I'm ready for kick off!!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

Hadn't heard anything about it,pl3..Wonder why?? BUT I agree with your last statement.

lomas98 writes:

The 2007 recruiting class stated in the article shows exactly why this football program has declined. They were a number 2 class, but who is left from it. The highly rated 2005 class wsa the same way. It is great to have a great high school recruting class but if the players don't pan out, get kicked off, or transfer it really doesn't make a hill of beans. The 2008 class was absolutely horrible. Combine that with player attrition due to 3 coaches in 3 years and this is where we are.

new_era_vol writes:

in response to BamaBeacher:

I agree BB, it would not be good for recruiting. On the other hand, I would rather be a Vol with an ankle bracelet than a bama player or fan any day of the year.

cloudodust writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

Guess it depends on how friendly the local news reporters and local law enforcement is to the cause...

volsfannsc writes:

in response to lomas98:

A lot of people who post here complain continuously about our three and four star recruits. They even state that CDD had better improve at recruiting or else. This article proves a point that goes un-noticed. 2007 No.2 recruiting class of which only a few remain.

My question is... is it not better to recruit three stars and four stars who will play together as a team for four years? Or would you rather have the five star that burns out like a candle in one, maybe two years?

OwensboroVol writes:

To you Players, I know you have heard this a thousand times,"One Oh Sh.. wipes out a hundred atta boy's. When you decided to wear that orange jersey it came with a lot of responsibilities. There are thousands of kids (and adults) who would give up everything they have to change places with you and run through that big T wearing that orange jersey. Don't soil that privilege by doing something stupid that you wouldn't do in a thousand years if you took the time to think about it. We need you too bad for this season. Go out on that Hallowed ground a week from tomorrow and have a blast!!

RockyTopVolFan writes:

Rest Up, Get Tough, Stay Clean.

Get Ready, here they come!

GO VOLS!

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

Pl3,

Enjoyed reading your comments. Just as you said, the guys who will go to war for their coach is who you want out there.

BTW, saw where they were showing several high school games tonight in different parts of the country.

Wish that Alcoa - Maryville game had been shown here.
Wow.........35-31, 8,000 fans.

Go Vols and have a nice weekend, players and fans alike.

new_era_vol writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

aamen brother. Go Vols. Lets get it done boys. I really think we are soooooo under rated and under the radar its unbeleivable.We can do it now. (if we stay healthy)Lets get it done and make good decisions off the field, go Vols.

ncvolfan58 writes:

GO VOLS!!!!

chrisw2967 writes:

I know we may not win every game this year but teams dont need to go to sleep on this team.There is a reason why they play the game on the field and not in the media.

dvols writes:

ready to see the team play! get that peach bowl taste out my mouth!

CoverOrange writes:

Of the 29 signed in 2007 only 10 remain, another two declared early for the NFL. 4 or 5 walked off because of Lane. 5 never really got here. 4 or 5 left after Dooley when they realized they were still third string. Give or take 1 or 2.

Of the ones Lane ran off, the one to miss the most would probably have been BJ Coleman. Other than him, could really have used Brimfield, Langley and Sawtelle on the lines.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to mdvol:

We are going to surprise some damn people.
We will upset either Florida or Alabama.

Come on now. Why not both?

VolinCalif writes:

in response to VOODOOley:

You should have had to wear the equip back in 1950/51. There was a big change to lighter Equip in about 53.

cloudodust writes:

Seems a bit quieter, more subdued than 2009 Atop Rocky. Open a can on 'em Vols...

jbocap writes:

One think I hope Coach Dooley & Coach Russell put emphasis on special teams. Last year, 3 of our 5 losses were within 5 points! I hope this year that special teams that can win some games and make us bowl eligilbe!
GO VOLS!!!!!

bigorange61 writes:

in response to ALLVOLNC:

Payback for that 77 yard punt return he had against the Vols. Got to give Jackson his due, he is one fast son of a gun. He was listed with a 4.35 in the 40. Somebody said he ran a legitimate 4.26 once.

RollTideJoe writes:

Staff, you've got to be kidding removing my comments. What a joke. Who's running the desk tonight? You let every insult in the world get by and strike what I said is a complete joke. Now strike this.

new_era_vol writes:

in response to Driving_Ms_Dooley:

what kind of fan are you to try and discourage our team and fans?shame on you, go vols . we may not be undefeated, but we can strive for it!!!!!! lets roll on rocky top, go vols!

new_era_vol writes:

in response to dvols:

ready to see the team play! get that peach bowl taste out my mouth!

that makes two of us, get the taste of the whole lane krappen era out of of my mouth and mind.

WinkeyVol writes:

It's almost time to show the football world that the Tennessee Volunteers did not die 3 years ago.I believe we will be extremely physical,play intelligently,and be a force to be be reckoned with in SEC play. It's true,we may not win every game, but I'll bet our opponents will be a dreadin seein the Big Orange take the field. Go Vols.

hueypilot writes:

in response to Driving_Ms_Dooley:

Don't care what you say, I love your screen name.

BufordTJustice writes:

in response to volsfannsc:

Ask Vanderbilt, or look at their win/loss record. Continually recruiting/signing low rated players, even of high character = more losses than wins. Sorry, but that's a fact. Look at DD's 3rd yr at LaTech.... 4-8 in the W.A.C.

BeRealistic writes:

in response to Driving_Ms_Dooley:

I agree with you. A REALISTIC FAN should be underlined. Youth, lack of depth & experience is a major factor. I think a 4-8 season would be a big disappointment, but I'm not looking for a Florida or Alabama upset. I love our VOLS, but be realistic.

bigorangebolt writes:

We are the Tennessee Volunteeers! Let's show our pride and wear our orange proudly! Go Big Orange!

TKO writes:

in response to naffy:

What's wrong? You don't like words that were never used with your name.

HallowedHill writes:

Did anyone see the ESPN U gang declare that Wilcox's defense was going to help Boise State beat Virginia Tech?! HAHA!

I'm looking forward to seeing his defense in ORANGE!!

GO VOLS!

Tennfan4075 writes:

in response to mdvol:

We are going to surprise some damn people.
We will upset either Florida or Alabama.

Thoughts like yours are what upsets are made from only it may be the wrong victims. This team may not be good enough to be over looking any team. I know the coaches are smart enough to not to be looking ahead and hopefully the team will leave dumb thoughts of upsets of Florida and Bama for fans.

Tennfan4075 writes:

in response to mercyseat:

It would really be interesting to see what redneck judge would allow such a thing (allowing alcohol bracelets). Did it ever occur to you that most of the players have not been involved in the trouble and several of the players are 21 and drinking is still legal for those players and fans, even in Knoxville. With that kind of thought process, why not put bracelets on everyone, you included. Oh and by the way I hope you make it home by midnight tonight. Go Vols

Jesus1Family2Career3Vols4 writes:

As I sit here drinking my Big Orange Koolaide and eating my Moon Pie I think we all might be pleasantly surprised by this team. Sounds like this team has bonded into one unit. The coaches, the Seniors (Captains), etc. Sounds like we are starting to at least resembled a true "team." I believe this team can be competitive. I have been on weather.com a lot this week. Out in Eugene, Ore it has been cool in the morning 50's for the lows; some days highs only in the 70's with almost no humidity. I am not a world traveler so my Passport pretty much ends at the Mason-Dixon Line. But from talking to people who have been out in the Northwest in late August sounds like good 'ol Mother Nature might be wearing her beautiful American Daisy Orange on September 11th. I am hoping for a high around 90 that day, with humidity. We know Ducks like the water; but I am not sure if this Quake Attack can perform in the Southern Humidity!

How 'bout them Vols? Need to get back to my Ball Mason Jar of Big Orange Koolaide, and of course my Moon Pie.

God Bless until next time.

jcp201 writes:

Don't care for the media laughter when asked if Tennessee will make an impact. That's all the incentive this team IMO. Not to mention, the more I hear from Dooley and Co, the more I like them. I feel this team might surprise people.

VolfanClinton writes:

in response to mdvol:

We are going to surprise some damn people.
We will upset either Florida or Alabama.

Nope...Missed our chance last year when we had a great coaching staff !!

gatorhator4eva writes:

in response to mdvol:

We are going to surprise some damn people.
We will upset either Florida or Alabama.

i think were going to upset florida. they r young too. i already have my tickets. they showed it at the game in gainesville last year and especially when Alabama beat them. a couple of times maybe 3 , the swamp turned so silent u could here a pin drop. here is a little reminder of what has happen at Neyland when these two teams come together. keep in mind tennessee use to dominate the series and florida leads 20-19. this by far will be the best game of the entire year in NCAA football.

gatorhader writes:

Gonna eat me some Gator Tail

gatorhader writes:

in response to gatorhator4eva:

Amen to that

thereturnoftriumph writes:

in response to gatorhader:

Amen to that

don't think the Vols can upset my Gators next year but if they do, I will be the first Gator
fan to come on here and salute them.
now think about this. what if Daniel Lincoln's
holder last year put a spot of tape on the ground
while trying the winning kick against Bama. (see Bama vs SC)
Maybe Mount Cody does not block the kick and the
college football world is turned upside down.
Bama got away with it. Kiffin comes back to Knoxville as a hero.

tnsportsman writes:

in response to ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog:

Hey Guys,

Come over to the tailgate, we will have extra tickets that I'm sure we can give you!

LETS GET IT UP VOLNATION! ITS FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to Jesus1Family2Career3Vols4:

God Bless until next time.

Nice possibility;but Oregon is a very deep and experienced team;They are sure to shuttle players in and out for rest..Chavis was a master at doing that..The telling factor will be in the 4th quarter and how long we keep their Defense on the field..By the way it looks like SR qb Costa the projected starting QB has lost the job to redshirt soph. Thomas..Costa is the better passer but Thomas like Masoli is a sure running threat

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to tnsportsman:

Hey Guys,

LETS GET IT UP VOLNATION! ITS FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

Tnsportsman,

Thanks for the offer, but we actually decided a while back to either go to a sportsbar or stay at home and watch it...BTW..We will get our tickets on Friday for the UAB game..So excited!!!

Have a good one!!!