Dooley irritated by Hunter delay

The Justin Hunter eligibility wait will continue into game week and Tennessee coach Derek Dooley is none too happy about it.

Dooley said Friday there has been no word from the NCAA Eligibility Center on the status of freshman receiver Justin Hunter. An online course Hunter took in 2009 is under review and must be cleared in order for him to play for the Vols.

The season-opener is Saturday at 6 p.m. against UT Martin.

“It’s as big a source of frustration as anything I’ve ever been through,’’ Dooley said Friday. “It’s a helpless feeling.

“They wont tell us anything. They just say it’s in a file and they’re getting into it in the order they’re looking at things.’’

Dooley’s irritation showed through on the day UT finished fall camp and headed into an open weekend before starting game week on Monday.

“I’m sure they (the Eligibility Center) are not burning the midnight oil to get it done, either,’’ he said.

“That’s my guess. That’s not an attack.

“It’s Friday at 5. It’s Happy Hour so there is probably no file-reviewing going on right now in Overland Park (Kansas).’’

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

chrisw2967 writes:

This is BS , maybe they need to hire somebody to do their job for them.

VolNavy writes:

Good on ya Coach. No slack...

tree_em_smokey writes:

They SUCK. Their is no excuse that this should not be investigated already. There should be a rule that would be enforceable against the NCAA commitee that if and when given a allotted amount of time to conduct an investigation, if they do not clear or sanction a player that they should be held accountable by whatever consequences are applicable. Hurry up guys. Dang.

Bigger_Al writes:

Think GOOOOOD thoughts...

75VOLinga writes:

My guess is his high school had no problem with the class and UT must not have had a problem so how can the NCAA dumbwits have a problem. If Justin has a problem with school he won't be around long so let natural attrition take care of this. My guess is if Justin is worth anything he will step up and make the grades he needs and if he's good on the field he will get all the help he needs to keep him in school. I almost flunked out until I woke up and decided to work hard so if I can do it someone with a goal and desire like Justin has probably will too. I wound up with a 2.99 and if you don't think that was hard to do from a 1.2 first year you don't know how many A's and B's that takes. All I wanted to do was get my degree and prove to myself I could do it. He's got more to work for.

mattgb7c writes:

It's not like we gave him an Escalade or anything...count the online class and move on NCAA! ;-)

mountainbrook writes:

This is ridiculous. The NCAA is messing with kids all over the country by dragging these things out.

There should be a reasonable time limit in place and if the NCAA fails to meet it then the athlete should be eligible by default.

orangecountyvols writes:

Hey Vol friends,

We can all agree this seems to be certainly somebody dragging their feet to get something done.

Wouldn't surprise me if the NCAA called CDD the middle of the season and said "ok coach, he's clear to go now."

This seems to be happening a lot now, and not with just Tennessee. There has to be a better way. Can't blame anyone for being upset with the way this is being handled.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

Justin won't be badly missed because of the WR depth but not practicing derailed his momentum..Word from scrimmage was he was making big plays!!! If he sits out because of some online credits that's just wrong..My son took online courses before his senior year and they were harder than the in class material

Mobbdeep4life writes:

Of course the Eligibility Center does not have a sense of urgency. Why would they care when an athlete plays? Or at least that's the perception based on past cases.
CDD may have been half joking\half serious on the happy hour comment but I can feel his frustration. It could affect the gameplan for next week although not significantly it will still have an impact. I'm sure they had Hunter included in some packages before this happened.

BleedsOrangeinMO writes:

in response to FLVOL79:

I can tell you've never be to Kansas. There are lots of things to do: you can be out standing in a wheat field, out standing in a pasture, out standing by your oil well, driving your tractor to town hoping that some girl will think your tractor's sexy. You just have to be creative!!! Happy hour is when your out in the field away from the wife!!!

If the NCAA is that far behind in clearing these students; it seems to me they need to hire more help. With almost 10% unemployment I bet they can find as many qualified people as they need to help them out. This is ridiculous; but I'm sure it is happening to other schools as well.
Maybe all of their investigators are at some party at South Beach, Fla.

wally writes:

while this is very frustrating, i have to say i'm liking DD more and more...love his comments.

DennisVols writes:

There is something wrong with a system that has a governing body to hold its members accountable but does not have rules it must abide by to hold itself accountable.
This is not an investigation into some sort of cheating scandal by a member institution. This is not an investigation into players getting benefits not due to them. This is about a kid who is not currently on the streets trying to make a quick deal or robbing someone. This is about a kid seeking a higher education and just happens to be talented enough to earn a scholarship in a sport. If the NCAA really cared about these kids it would be a priority to do whatever research is necessary quickly so that it could be determined yes or no long before game week starts. This is Hunters life and the life of all the other kids in the same boat. College would not even be an option to most of these kids if it wasn’t for their skills in a sport. The NCAA treats these kids like 2nd class citizens which is exactly the kind of life they are trying to avoid.
Maybe an investigation needs to be performed on the NCAA. What kind of wrong doing would be uncovered in the governing body that has not had to be held accountable to anyone?

VolWoman writes:

in response to 75VOLinga:

The thing is, he's a good student and had good grades in high school. The SEC office cleared him as well as UT.

I think his file was pulled a couple of days after Scroggin's at USC (or when it was reported) and he got cleared yesterday so maybe Justin will be Monday. I wish they'd work on weekends considering it's pretty important to these kids.

The good thing is, he's in school so he didn't have to meet today's deadline for enrollment.

BleedsOrangeinMO writes:

in response to DennisVols:

Excellent post!!!!!

I certainly agree!!!

GO VOLS . . . WE ARE UT

smokeyvol1 writes:

What happened to innocent until proven guilty? I might could understand a game but to not allow him to practice! Its like he is guilty until it is proven otherwise!

10ECMATT writes:

Let's hope this the biggest rubber chicken the NCAA have to throw at us. Could be worse. Go Vols!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whistlinwingman writes:

This phooey should've been solved before the kid put the pads on. NCAA had to clear something for him to get this far.

rockytopatl writes:

in response to ztopia:

This has nothing to do with the other matters that may or may not be under investigation. The clearinghouse looks at academic eligibility. That's all they do and obviously they don't do it very well.

volll1 writes:

Maybe the NCAA forgot what NCAA stands for.

kctcloth writes:

Hey what's the address? I live in Overland Park, KS so I'll go visit them. I didn't realize there was any NCAA functions left here. I thought they all moved to Indy?

ncvol17 writes:

I'l volunteer to work for the NCAA Clearinghouse, of course I will have to work online.

kctcloth writes:

in response to FLVOL79:

Dude, seriously? Guess you don't read Money Magazine, where Overland Park, Kansas was ranked 7th in the list of best places to live. Our happy hour in Kansas involves watching the Chiefs (Eric Berry and Dustin Colquitt) play against the Eagles. I'll take Kansas over God's waiting room any day.

MikeInTN writes:

Give them HELL coach!!!!!!!!

ALL_VOL75 writes:

in response to kctcloth:

You can have it!

The only reason California doesn't fall off into the ocean is because Kansas SUCKS!

alwaysVol writes:

hey NCAA if you can't handle the work load, hire more people during your busy season. plenty of people out there looking for work.

elbtenn#502977 writes:

Who is in charge of the files; The Tin man or the Scarecrow?

lomas98 writes:

I said when this first came out that this would not be resolved before the first game. I still believe that. How many other files are they reviewing? I realize Hunter is not the only person being held up to play but you would think they could have done this when he graduated high school and was going to enter college to play sports.

springtx_vol writes:

in response to tree_em_smokey:

The only problem with this is that this is not a rule of law thing. Hunter is not innocent until proven that the course is not acceptable. It is a case that the course must be proven to be authentic. So, if you put a "three week (to pick a time frame)deadline," they will simply rule that the student athlete in ineligible without proof that the course was real and tangible. I would rather have it resolved, even if he missses a game.

volcycle writes:

So if the NCAA is made up of school presidents, and the college accepts the course....then what the heck is the problem?

cloudodust writes:

Looks like Tennessee has been found to be clean on most all accusations and the NCAA has to punish them somehow. Hunter becomes the scapegoat..?

rootin4volz writes:

How ridiculous. A bunch of overpaid, idiotic, keystone cop bureaucrats sitting in the NCAA offices, wielding their "power" while some poor teenage kid sits in limbo. Not to mention an entire TEAM sitting in limbo. Freakin' BOZOS!! God, I hope somebody at the NCAA reads this article and this post!

Psychovol writes:

Great quote on not burning the midnight oil and happy hour. The NCAA needs some more Dilberts in cubicles. They can drink while they work if it'll help.

nocleats writes:

Maybe there should be a cutoff on the NCAA. How about saying the NCAA cant pull a review on anyone after say Aug 4. That gives them 4 weeks till kickoff. It shouldnt take more than 10 days which would still give the player 2 and a half weeks. But after Aug 4, too bad so sad ncaa

orangecountyvols writes:

Just want to say each and every one of you had some very good comments in reference to this situation.

As was mentioned, sure hope it gets ironed out next week. Too bad the NCAA can do things and everyone is powerless to do anything about it.

Kinda' like federal judges or something of that sort.
A ruling is made and you have to live with it. In Justin's case..........NO ruling has been made.

bobo96 writes:

Good Lord. The NCAA makes millions upon millions off of students and can't bust arse and get it done when it comes to stuff like this? -----------------------------
Fricking ridiculous. It is time for some serious law suits against this monopolistic piece of garbage.-----------------------We should rename the team the RedSkinned Scalping Indians and tell the NCAA to go rake itself. ;)

duke.moses#299699 writes:

They found it. Fax machine was unplugged! He'll be cleared Monday!!
GBO!!!

DannyVol writes:

in response to kctcloth:

Dude, seriously. OP has a bunch of corportions, Sprint being one of them...thus, Money Magazine. However, the crime rate there is in the bottom 70% in America. Add in boring as phooey and a bunch of rude people...

TKO writes:

Idiotic process that 3rd graders could resolve.

rbut5252#220065 writes:

The "Happy Hour" qoute sounds vaugely like something young Mr. Kiffin might say....The only difference is CDD knows what he's doing.

cwbytruckers writes:

I guess this is payback for not releasing Brown to come home.

HallowedHill writes:

The NCAA needs to prioritize good kids over their witch hunts! This phooey happens every year to dozens of players around the nation. I've said it before and will say it again, the NCAA should default the players to being eligible if a ruling cannot be made by 2 weeks prior to the season opener.

GO VOLS!

bluetick writes:

Hunter is one of those SA that has a very high GPA. I guess he must have not earned any of it? There should be a deadline for the NCAA to not only pick a players name under question, but also to get the results back. Maybe BB's agent had something to do with this. It's a conspiracy! :)

huntined#565710 writes:

Got to think if this was a FLA or BAMA player we would be saying take your time don't rush on this... that is what they are saying and we have been thru this every year..

allvol32 writes:

The NCAA Clearinghouse appears to function just like a typical federal government agency. If they get anything done at all it will be on their own schedule with their own agenda and they're accountable to no one, even the people who pay their salaries - can't fire 'em either.

It reeks of arrogance with a capital A.

FWBVol writes:

It seems that once the clearing house flags a kid as it has Hunter then that kid's file is open and should be the next in order. How in the world can it take two or three weeks, or longer, to go from flagging a kid to clearing up the questions?

CDD, and every other coach in the country has a right to be upset with the process because it is totally insane.

cooper65#432178 writes:

in response to ALL_VOL75:

You can have it!

I don't understand why you clowns have to insult every place that is mentioned. I would agree with those who would say Kansas is not the most scenically-beautiful state, but in my travels through Kansas, I have found the people to be very hospitable and friendly. Besides Kansas has nothing to do with this, the NCAA is the problem. Tennessee has its own image problems (unwarranted, but you are just as guilty). Address the real issue without being such a jerk

murrayvol writes:

in response to chrisw2967:

This is BS , maybe they need to hire somebody to do their job for them.

Could use a few temps.

KC_Vol writes:

Overland Park Kansas is a suburb of Kansas City and has been rated by numerous publications as one of the top ten cities in the country to live in for each of the past 9 years. I live here and I love it. I would much rather live in Knoxville......but that isn't possible right now. Just saying.....don't bad mouth a place you have never been to and know nothing about.

CoverOrange writes:

What is the theory behind not letting him practice? I can understand not letting him play, but practice? Especially since the NCAA hasn't decided whether he is eligible or not.