Reveiz days away from comeback

Linebacker has waited almost a year

N. Reveiz

N. Reveiz

Nick Reveiz sat there smiling.

"How's everybody doing?" Tennessee's senior middle linebacker asked the media at Monday's press conference.

"It's going to be a good day."

For Reveiz, Saturday will be an even better day.

That's when his return from last September's serious knee injury will be completed as the Vols play host to UT Martin at 6 p.m.

"It's something that when I was told the injury and the time period that I'd be out, this is the day that I'd be looking forward to," Reveiz said.

"It's hard not to be anxious, not to have nerves and not worry and think about those things, but it's one of those things where I'm trying to savor the moment.

"This is my last first game of the season as a Volunteer. I'm just blessed, I'm fortunate that I have another year to come back."

Reveiz, a former walk-on who worked his way up to team captain and starting middle linebacker, suffered a torn lateral meniscus and anterior cruciate ligament in UT's fourth game last season against Ohio.

Though the former Farragut star has returned to the heart of UT's defense, he said he's still got something to prove despite averaging roughly seven tackles per game prior to his injury.

"As a player," he said, "if you don't feel like you have something to prove, then you're never going to get better. There's still things in my mind that I have to prove, whether it's the team, the media, whoever it is."

Reveiz believes UT coach Derek Dooley has instilled that same mindset to the entire team. He also believes that will overcome the team's perceived talent deficiency.

"You can't replace certain great athletes," he said, "but a lot of times it really doesn't come down to ability.

"I feel like great teams, they don't necessarily have the most talent, but they have the hardest work ethic, the most relentless desire to win.

"I feel that's something Coach Dooley has really inhabited in our team."

No Worries: Reveiz admitted he shares Dooley's concern over the Vols' lack of depth.

"As a senior, it's something you worry about," he said. "This is my fifth season, and I've seen a lot of teams. It's hard not to worry."

It's a worry he's overcome, however.

"But it's something that you realize you'd rather do it with a smaller group of guys who are doing it the right way than a bigger group of guys who are doing it the wrong way," he said.

"I really believe we're doing it the right way as far as off the field and on the field. I wouldn't trade these guys for anybody."

No King: Linebacker Greg King has been noticeably absent from most of spring practice and fall camp with knee injuries.

As a result, the sophomore also was absent from the two-deep depth chart released Monday.

"He's just so far behind," Dooley said. "It doesn't mean we're not trying to work him in and catch him up. His injuries have really set him back."

Brackets: Eric Gordon and Marsalis Teague were listed as co-starters at the cornerback spot opposite Art Evans.

"Eric is a real physical guy, Marsalis probably plays a little bit better the deeper the field goes," Dooley said. "They bring two different things at corner.

"It's to show we consider Marsalis a starter. It's not a knock on Eric."

Herman Lathers and Savion Frazier also were bracketed as co-starters at weak-side linebacker.

Status Update: The only change in Justin Hunter's status is the freshman receiver's jersey number.

Previously No. 87, Hunter wore No. 11 while watching Monday's practice. He's awaiting the resolution of an issue with the NCAA Clearinghouse.

Fullback Kevin Cooper (knee) and safety Brent Brewer (groin) were both back at practice Monday and will be ready for Saturday's game.

Patrick Brown is a freelance contributor.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Groundedvol writes:

You've gotta love a walk-on that has givin his all to become a starter and captain. Not to mention he's a stud! Reveiz is a true leader and what college football should be about. Thank you Nick! GBO!

ThaiVolFan writes:

in response to Groundedvol:

Right on....Reveiz is one that I really hope has a great year. What a feel good story to make it back especially if he can pick up where he left off and make 1st team SEC. Couldn't appen to a nicer guy. Good luck Nick and go Vols!

Bigger_Al writes:

Fred could have played LB too if they had let him!!

rockytopatl writes:

in response to Bigger_Al:

Fred could have played LB too if they had let him!!

I think you mean Fuad.

iowavol writes:

in response to Bigger_Al:

Fred could have played LB too if they had let him!!

Do you mean Fuad?

taylorsvolfan writes:

Great to see you back ! Time to open up a can!

rockytopatl writes:

There's a good discussion of depth in this story, and lack of depth is the reason the odds are stacked so high against us. Depth is what the Kool-Aid drinkers who say we win 9 or more don't understand.

You can almost bet that injuries will hit us in the areas where we have the least depth and we are thin as a razor blade at a bunch of positions. Last year, injuries killed us at linebacker: first Reveiz, then King, then Frazier. This year, I wouldn't be surprised to see injuries afflict us on the O and D lines. We only have one decent defensive tackle. What if he gets hurt -- or the 248 pound linebacker we're going to play at DT beside him? Without decent tackles, we can't stop the run, we can't rush the passer and then we can't defend against the pass.

You can't count on 1's and 3's always getting it done, and that's what Dooley has made it clear we have. Lots of ones and lots of threes. If we had more legitimate 2's, it would be easier to predict more wins and more upsets. It will take time to get back up to 85 players and build some depth and find some 2s.

I want us to win 7 or 8, and if the stars allign, and the injuries are limited to the very few positions where we can weather them, maybe we can.

As for Mr. Reveiz, lead us to glory, my man. You are an orange-clad warrior and you are what UT football is all about.

bigtimevol writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

Nobody knows now, but I'm all in until I see different. If we can stay somewhat injury free and truly play as a team, and we get decent qb and offensive line play, then I think 7-8 wins are in the cards.

american_pitvol_terrier writes:

Fred was one bad mamma-jamma...for real.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

Fred Flintstone? or Fred Krueger?

Orange_Juiced writes:

Some injuries are unavoidable, but mama say, "good hydration and conditioning can go a long way to prevent injuries."

Bennie Wylie should have these guys in shape.

Peace and GBO!

jack_2222#231746 writes:

They're screwing Justin Hunter.

CroKev writes:

I can't wait to see this Fred guy play....

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Strength punishes but speed kills.

Not long now....

iowavol writes:

in response to bigtimevol:

That's a lot of it's. As you say, I'm all in, but I agree with rockytop, the issue with this team is not talent, but experience. We have good talent and the difference between the 2's and 3's is playing time and OJT. I believe they will have the experience toward the end of the season that will clearly move 3's to 2's. But the question is what will the toll on the team be by then - injuries, wins-losses, etc... The Koolaid is great, but a 7 win season would be phenomenal.

Carlitovol writes:

in response to jack_2222#231746:

They're screwing Justin Hunter.

Rumors flying around on VN that he was declared eligible last night.. Apparently multiple sources have confirmed. That said, I'll believe it when I see it..

GBO!!

VOLliven2it writes:

I thought Fred was what one of UT's coaches called Fuad(Nick's dad)because he could not pronounce Fuad(fooahhd). Actually, according to the book, Once a Vol Always a Vol, it was Frank that Coach Cafego used instead of Fuad. I have no idea who Fred is or was unless he appeared in cartoons with Barney. I hope he hits hard and believe Nick will do so every time he is on the field. GO BIG ORANGE!

Bigger_Al writes:

in response to iowavol:

Do you mean Fuad?

Fuad was as popular a kicker as I've ever seen. He nailed 60 yarders with the game on the line. If you were in the stands during Fuad's days, you would hear people yelling out "Go Fred!" and "Let Frank run it!!", all in good fun.

voloffaith writes:

in response to Bigger_Al:

AHHH thanks Paul Harvey now we know the rest of the story. Thought I remember hearing that way back yonder in my mind. Was at Georgia Tech or home a Reveiz hit a 60 yd to salvage a tie. Fuad or his son did it. Great family with Big Orange tradition!

abnermc writes:

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

Fred Flintstone? or Fred Krueger?

Fred Sanford

MemphoVol writes:

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

Fred Flintstone? or Fred Krueger?

Freddie Mercury.

MemphoVol writes:

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

Fred Flintstone? or Fred Krueger?

No, Fred Mertz.

hueypilot writes:

in response to Bigger_Al:

Fred could have played LB too if they had let him!!

That Freudian slip (or not if you know the story I'm getting ready to tell) is pretty funny because when Faud was playing and being coached by legendary player and coach George Cafego, he couldn't figure out the Faud name and so he called him "Fred"

rockytopatl writes:

in response to hueypilot:

According to a Haywood Harris book, Cafego always called him Frank, not Fred. He called him that every time until the very last time Cafego sent him in. "Go kick it, Faud," Reveiz related. The kicker said that told him he'd finally won the great coach's respect.

voloffaith writes:

in response to hueypilot:

Faud = FUAD alias Frank to Coach Cafego until his final kick.

Bigger_Al writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Yes, I saw the Fuad kick at GA Tech from 60. Carlos, Fred's brother, kicked a 60 yarder against GA Tech at home to get a 6-6 tie in 1985.

oskie_score writes:

NR and AJ at Mike, SF and HL rotating at Will but I haven't heard anything on who will be Tennessee's Sam linebacker.

AND have asked repeatedly BUT have yet to hear word/status on Jerod Askew OR Nigel Mitchell-Thornton, what's up KNS???

gatorhator4eva writes:

man oh man, 4 days away boys. hang in there.