Vols' depth chart announced; Williams at tackle

The official Tennessee depth chart came out this morning without any major surprises on offense.

The defense made up for it.

According to the roster released by the Vols on Monday morning, senior lineman Gerald Williams is tabbed to start at defensive tackle against UT-Martin on Saturday at 6 p.m. UT coach Derek Dooley was expected to tinker with his rotation up front since UT is better stocked at end than tackle, but a move for Williams hadn't publicly been discussed during his impressive training camp.

The other notable change appears to be at strong-side linebacker, where Greg King isn't listed on the two-deep. Based on the projections, junior Daryl Vereen will back up LaMarcus Thompson instead of King - who has battled injuries throughout the month.

On offense, as expected Matt Simms will lead the attack with Tauren Poole and Kevin Cooper in the backfield, Gerald Jones and Denarius Moore at wide receiver and Luke Stocker at tight end. From left to right, Dallas Thomas, JerQuari Schofield, Cody Pope, Jarrod Shaw and Ja'Wuan James will start on the line.

DEPTH CHART

H 96 Chad Cunningham

2 Matt Simms

PR 4 Gerald Jones

27 David Oku

KR 27 David Oku

6 Denarius Moore

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

bearbull95#206250 writes:

It's official, now let's cinch up the chin straps and go and hit somebody! GBO!

theoldbear writes:

OK, the depth chart came out!! Where is it? When do we get to see it? Or is the KNS just going to leak the information a little bit at a time?

Orange writes:

Simms is definitely the man for now, but Tyler will develop into a great QB for us in the years to come. GBO!

GreerVol22 writes:

Men.....It's almost Football Time in Tennessee! We'll cheer some, we'll gripe some, but in the end just count your blessings that we live where we live, love who we love, and that Big Orange is the official color of Fall....can a brother get a an Amen?...

VOLliven2it writes:

Go knock some block off Skyhawks guys! We are almost there, I can hardly wait! GO BIG ORANGE!

MemphoVol writes:

in response to GreerVol22:

AMEN !

Orangeblood13 writes:

lol
only problem is there is no attachment of the lineup itself!

ugh

go vols

VOLsince68 writes:

in response to GreerVol22:

Amen.

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!

tnsportsman writes:

in response to GreerVol22:

I SAY AMEN, GreerVol!

ITS FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE! This is our BIG ORANGE TEAM and we all need to support them, be for them and AT THE GAME! No Excusses, just do it!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

mtowntim writes:

in response to GreerVol22:

Amen! Pass the koolaid!

VolMoment writes:

in response to GreerVol22:

AMEN AMEN
Greatest post ever on this site. We should always remember this when a 18 to 23 year old drops a pass or makes a mistake.

ssgdebity writes:

As the game comes closer, I am very excited. Will be watching my first Tenn game live. Even though I grew up in Cleveland, TN been a VOLS fan all my life. Since I have been in the Military I have always watched the vols on TV and half way around the world. Been to 29 states and 7 countries. But I have always wanted to see them live during the season. Now lets go kick some but and prove all these low critics wrong. See you guys Saturday at the game.

tulelakevol writes:

in response to GreerVol22:

Amen!! Amen!! and Amen!!

Brillovol writes:

in response to GreerVol22:

You got an Amen from me on all counts!

Ah, the smell is almost in the air. I think I can taste it.

TLepage writes:

in response to ssgdebity:

enjoy the experience.... nothing can compare to Neyland.... I live in VA now, so I will not be at the game.... But I just ordered gameplan today, so I will be watching come 6:00 PM on Sept. 4..... GO VOLS!!!!!

VolinCalif writes:

in response to ssgdebity:

Mark I know people that live in Kingston that have never been to a live game. And they own a large Boat and are big time Vol fans. So go have a great time wish I could be there I'd buy the Beer.

Tennpoker writes:

in response to theoldbear:

Agree......where is the depth chart? Come on!

keepitreal4vols writes:

in response to Dead_Head_Vol:

you light weight, go get a pint and make that Coke stronger.

nocleats writes:

How can some of these guys be starting? They didnt have near as many stars as their backups did. GBO! GBO! GBO!

volfan2002 writes:

The closet thing i could find was this:

CoverOrange writes:

My lawd. Moving from a 4 star ILB to DE to DT. Is this an experiment or had he shown something there?

voloffaith writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

OREADO has reado

now tired and feel like nappo

STOPPO has pleaded

Now as we step away from the 3rd grade blog from omeeko, the depth chart might be a misstatement except for maybe lb and rb. Depth is an issue which will hopefully get some non-starters time this Saturday with Vols comfortably ahead. Charlie Brown said,"Good grief Omeeko!"

Volunatic writes:

in response to theoldbear:

It's in the media guide page 51, or you can download just the "Outlook" section, and look at pdf page 6

Volunatic writes:

in response to Volunatic:

Sorry-- the one I linked is outdated (lists Marlon Walls, Ben Martin, and Darren Myles as starters).
I'll keep digging at the utsports.com site and see if I can find the updated one.

ALL_VOL75 writes:

in response to ssgdebity:

get in your seat early so you don't miss them running through the "T"!!! UT has one of the best pre-games in all of college football! GO VOLS!

bigexecutiveguy writes:

The chill you get seeing the Vols run through the T for the first time each season is my favorite single moment of the year. And right when that happens, I look up to the sky, tears in my eyes, and thank my Dad for raising me in what is, in my humble opinion, the nation's finest college football experience. Been doing it for 13 years alone now. And I look forward to it for many years to come.

So I say this for all Vol fans, past, present and future: GBO!

dvsvol writes:

in response to TLepage:

Ordered my Gameplan in Maryland today! mark_debity you're gonna have some fun - yell for those of us who can't be there!
G B O ! ! !

Volunatic writes:

Good. Austin Ward has now updated this page with the depth chart.

mdvol writes:

in response to Volunatic:

Good. Austin Ward has now updated this page with the depth chart.

...and I like it!!!

We are going to surprise some damn people.
We will upset either Florida or Alabama.

RoadTrip writes:

Attended my first game with my dad in the north end zone bleachers at Neyland at age 9 in 1963. Got to see Steve Delong blow up an offensive line that day. My next Vol hero was Walter Chadwick running the ball. It has progressed through the years including watching my sister as a majorette in the Pride of the Southland back in the late 70's as well as seeing children of famiily and friends involved as players, cheerleaders and band members. I have watched the stadium morph into the house of Neyland, Wyatt, Dickey, Majors, Fulmer and now, Dooley. I have watched Reggie, Peyton, Eric and all other Vol greats lay it on the line by giving their all for Tennessee that day. Yet, nothing matches the thrill of the first game of each season when the guys run through the T. Thank God I live in East TN and have Orange blood! Hope to see all of y'all there on Saturday.

GBO!

FWBVol writes:

Looks like the KNS promoted Chris Walker to a deity.

murrayvol writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

We have no choice Bob.

murrayvol writes:

in response to FWBVol:

Looks like the KNS promoted Chris Walker to a deity.

Should've added "on water".

OrangeCounsel writes:

in response to ALL_VOL75:

I beg to differ. UT has, hands down, _the_ best pregame in college football. I've been to every SEC stadium, and several major programs outside the conference who claim a great pregame tradition. Bottom line: When Bill Williams announces "And now, with the greatest Pregame tradition in college football, the Priiide of the Southland Marching Band," he ain't pulling your leg. It's legit. GET LOUD. (The band has more fun when they can't hear themselves play.)

Shiggidyhappens writes:

Justin Hunter on the 2 deep?????
I there some info that we don't got?
(grammar done purpose)

JamminVol11 writes:

in response to mdvol:

...and I like it!!!

We are going to surprise some damn people.
We will upset either Florida or Alabama.

MDVOL...I am a homer but somethings Just Won't Happen!!

If it does we will meet and drinks are on me.

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to RoadTrip:

GBO!

My first game was the Miss. St. game in 1995. I was a senior in college and went with 3 fraternity brothers. It is a day I will never forget, from our early Saturday start (or continuation from Friday night) on the Strip and my first Vol Walk. Seeing the enormity of Neyland on the outside and then being blown away even more when we stepped into the stadium.
Those of you going for the first time on Saturday, I can safely say that regardless of who is playing that it will be the most memorable time you will ever have as a Vol fan.

GO BIG ORANGE!!

tnsportsman writes:

Damn Can't Wait! Lets all go party now at Neyland for the whole week, LOL.

We got sprit, we got guts, we got the Skyhawks by da N-TTS! Pull Smokey, Pull!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to Dead_Head_Vol:

Hey, Phil. I was driving home from work the other day and saw something on the side of the road. I pulled over and, what do you know, it was your Mule Day crown. It was in the ditch in between Dunkin' Donuts and Burger King. If you want it you can reach me at 1-888-clap-clap-clap.

IBleedOrange444 writes:

KNS you guys only misspelled like 3 of the players' names. Good job!

Mule_Days_King writes:

With Hunter behind Moore on the depth chart, does that mean that he has been ok'd by the clearinghouse?

voloffaith writes:

in response to ssgdebity:

Nobody said it,but I know they were thinking it. God bless and thank you for your service to our/your country!!! Yes I did notice the Marine gave the Semper Fidelis!

I'll be in nosebleed seats with my wife cheering on those in Orange & White on the gridiron. Yes, I have played Rocky Top today already.

huntined#565710 writes:

That place should be real loud and show those new recruits what a crowd they were promised when they were asked to go to UT. Remember we will have some real highs and some low lows this year BUT WE ARE TENN AND THAT IS WHAT COUNTS..GO VOLS!!

nocleats writes:

in response to Mule_Days_King:

Still not cleared yet, still waiting on NCAA. I also did not see D Rogers on depth chart. I think we will see a lot of changes on that chart between now and Ore. game.

nocleats writes:

in response to huntined#565710:

Totally agree! This is the year we bring our LOUD friends to the game and leave little Meagan and Hunter at home. (Yes they are cute) Bring those who bleed orange!

Mobbdeep4life writes:

in response to MemphoVol:

AMEN !

Amen!

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to nocleats:

Then does Rogers take Hunter's slot behind Moore on the depth chart for Saturday? I would think so if Hunter isn't cleared yet.

brush#220070 writes: