It's official: Vols to play North Carolina in Music City Bowl

Tennessee to play Music City Bowl

Tennessee is staying close to home for the holidays.

According to the Music City Bowl's official Twitter page, the Vols have accepted an invitation to the Music City Bowl in Nashville.

"It's Official: North Carolina vs. Tennessee in the 2010 Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl on Dec. 30 at 5:30 p.m. CST at LP Field!" read the tweet, which was posted at 5:26 p.m. Eastern time.

UT, winners of four straight to qualify for the postseason, will play North Carolina in the game at LP Field on Dec. 30. Aside from the resurgence down the stretch and the momentum for the Vols over the final month of the season, the matchup will provide some closure for a series the program canceled with the Tar Heels which was scheduled to start next year in North Carolina.

Austin Ward covers Tennessee football. He may be reached 865-342-6274. Follow him at http://twitter.com/Vols_Beat and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/ward.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

holleyab writes:

YES!!!!!!! WOOHOOO NASHVILLE!!!!

zqvol writes:

What a shame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vol45 writes:

Who would have thought this, 6 weeks ago?

Volsfan94 writes:

Dang it! I really wanted to play michigan in Gator Bowl!

Fresh2308 writes:

And the ironic circle is now complete...

holleyab writes:

This will be a homegame for UT, it will be 95% orange, and an easy sellout. This bowl is a perfect match for UT.

rockytothetop writes:

I couldn't be more excited. I booked my hotel and bought club tickets weeks ago and was getting worried. The best part is, UNC can shut their mouths about the cancelled series if we beat them. :)

HuntsvilleVol writes:

was hoping for the gator.. but at least this way ill be able to go to the game instead of the long drive to jacksonville

thevoice writes:

Interesting how fitting it is to be playing UNC. Should be a decent story line leading up to the game, and hopefully provide inspiration for these boys. On that "note," see you at the Music City Bowl.

Volsfan94 writes:

WHEN WILL THEY CONFIRM!?
PLEASE BE GATOR BOWL!

vols2016 writes:

YES!! had already bought tickets on the 50 for the music city bowl, so i was worried about the late sources saying we could go to the gator.

ROCKYTOPBRAD writes:

in response to Volsfan94:

Dang it! I really wanted to play michigan in Gator Bowl!

Agree 100%.this sucks big blue would have been a great game

Ringleader writes:

It will only give NC more to talk about after cancelling the series, win or not. So who did the Gator pick ahead of UT, Miss State?

thevoice writes:

in response to Volsfan94:

Dang it! I really wanted to play michigan in Gator Bowl!

So would I most, any other year. But these boys have worked hard and need a win to chew on for the winter/spring dead period.

TritanVol writes:

How can Mike Hamilton tweet and say he is excited about the matchup when he just cancelled the 2011 game?

Volsfan94 writes:

in response to thevoice:

I have been watching alot of UM games and i know we can beat them. Their wideouts can't catch and their pass defense is horrible! Bray could have over 450 yards.
Gosh I am so sad now.

hateNCloveTN writes:

in response to rockytothetop:

I'm with you. I applied for tickets weeks ago and have a place to stay in Nashville. Since I live in NC, it would be great to put up some big numbers on the heels.

MikeTheTiger writes:

How long til Mikey calls and cancels the game? Wooooo, big bad UNC, scary!!!

Dooley:
"Please Mikey, please don't make us play them! We are little."

RespectTradition writes:

On the plus side, I really wanted the chance to beat NC after the yeller streak Hamilton displayed.

On the negative, now all the media will talk about will be how we backed out of our contract. You know how they like to find one thing and harp about it.

Oh well, I will just root for my Vols and enjoy the game no matter what!

Go Vols!

RockyToptoNeyland writes:

in response to ROCKYTOPBRAD:

Agree 100%.this sucks big blue would have been a great game

If we had played michigan I am sure a total of 130 points would be scored

hazard writes:

I think it's awesone we are going to play UNC. Not sure Hammy does though. This game can and should be won. Will be suprised if we are not 3 to 5 point favorites.

Volsfan94 writes:

in response to RockyToptoNeyland:

If we had played michigan I am sure a total of 130 points would be scored

Agreed.
I would be the happiest person in the world if it had been done.

tnsportsman writes:

YES BABY MUSIC CITY BOWL! Confirmation now on utsports presser! GO VOLS, Its Party Time 2nd Avenue Style, 50,000 BIG ORANGE FANS in a sea of Orange!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

volsbandit writes:

I think it makes more sense as far as the season is concerned. I know the Gator Bowl would pay out more, but in all honesty, Michigan and UT are not the powerhouses of old. Rodriguez is on the outs and the Wolverines will not be up for this. I am very happy playing Butch Davis' Tarheels since we dropped them. Plus, it will be a home game for us. I am very excited about this decision.

1Volunteer writes:

in response to TritanVol:

Because he canceled for financial reasons, as he said. That is no small consideration in the work of a college AD.

volsbandit writes:

in response to tnsportsman:

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

I think we called it, didn't we tnsportsman? See you there!

UTVOLSRROCKN writes:

People quit whinning about the Gator bowl and how you wished we could play Michigan!

The Vols are in the Music City Bowl playing UNC! I could not be happier! As previously stated, it will be a home game for us, FULL OF ORANGE! All of you "haters" and "trolls" said we would NEVER make a BOWL GAME. Hahaha, the joke is on YOU!

VOLS....BEAT UNC....TCB....KOKO.....GBO!!!!

stevefrommemphis writes:

in response to TritanVol:

He's lying. Surely Hamilton wants the UNC issue to just go away. On the conference call, Hamilton mentioned the desire shown by many Tennessee fans to play UNC when the series was cancelled. Well, yes, and I still have that desire for the 2011 and 2012 season. Instead, I get to buy worthless tickets to see Vols play Buffalo.

To punish Hamilton for his decision, I really wouldn't care if UNC beats them on Dec 30, but it would especially be funny if Buffalo could somehow win the replacement game next year.

DebtisDumb writes:

GO VOLS Bought my tickets JJ in section 313 gonna be painted up WOOOOO HOOOOO

1volfanatic writes:

I wonder if hammy will be too scared to watch the game. We will make him look pretty stupid for buying out the games for next year. Go Vols. Vols-31 N.C.-21

volsbandit writes:

24-17 VOLS

mdvol writes:

This is a much better matchup for the Vols than playing GA Tech or Michigan who run that triple option junk. I say Bray will have about 45 passing attempts. 4 TD's, 1 INT. Vols win 35-17!!!!

DebtisDumb writes:

Actually Michigan was a better match up IMO but I'M STILL PUMPED

volbob writes:

Got all excited about the possibility of the Gator Bowl, since The Vols are on the way back up. Amazing how our attitude changes! A month ago a lot of us had given up on the season, and now here I am hoping for a New Years Day bowl. Lets be happy that we will have essentially a home game and the chance to hit 7 wins in what was headed to be the worst season ever. Way to go, everybody...players, coaches and fans. Hammy...not so much, but it is what it is. GBO!

Cldvols1 writes:

Great! Can't wait to watch the Vols beat up on the Heels. Go Big Orange!!!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to stevefrommemphis:

WOW!!! That's a great attitude coming from a true Vol fan....NOT!!!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

My early prediction:

Vols 31
UNC 17

GBO!!!

yabadabadoo1026 writes:

in response to 1Volunteer:

that was a BS reason that you and other koolaiders buy to disguise the real reason that we feared a loss ---if he just wanted another home game he could have replaced NC with a more comparable opponent than the patsy he did-----it was a disguised cowardly reneg of a contracted game that should embarrass us all

BillsBrother writes:

in response to 1Volunteer:

For Hammy, financial considerations seem to be his only concern...

tnsportsman writes:

in response to volsbandit:

I think we called it, didn't we tnsportsman? See you there!

Yeah volsbandit we called it, but this last 24 hours was BS, LOL! I had to drink more crown!

See you in Music City, come to our huge catered tailgate! E-mail me here for details!

GO VOLS, BEAT NC!

pms151 writes:

This should called the Wimp Bowl. Panty Waist Mikey set this up to protect his job.

NorthwestVol writes:

in response to Volsfan94:

Dang it! I really wanted to play michigan in Gator Bowl!

Personally, I was hoping for North West Little Sisters of the Poor. I know it's not very sporting of me, but I just want a winning season.

martintnvol writes:

in response to stevefrommemphis:

Go away

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

Unfortunately, pl3, I personally know several others like him..A relative of mine wanted UT to lose all of their games during Fulmer's last year just so Fulmer would be fired..Well he got his wish and now he calls himself a UT fan..Whenever I find out that he got to attend a game, I always say that he doesn't deserve to go to any UT games..Whenever he went, they always lost...Thank God that he left the UAB game early or we would have lost that one too had he stayed.LOL!!

tenndave writes:

in response to rockytothetop:

I did exactly the same thing and I can't be more pleased with my Holiday Inn rooms and my club seats. GO Vols!!! I am taking my 13 yr old to his first UT Bowl Game.

JBruce writes:

Glad that this matchup is going to happen. North Carolina is a better football team in all phases of the game; but Tennessee will definately have homefield advantage. Hopefully, Dooley and staff will have them ready to play.

Tennessee wins 24-21

jimr07 writes:

in response to allVolinGA:

I love nice positive comments like this. Boooo!

tlallman writes:

Sure makes Hamilton look like an idiot. Spent $700,000 for no reason.

vol_n_cakilaki writes:

in response to TritanVol:

Because he didn't. The article said: