Jeronne Maymon's debut forces changes

Steven Pearl ready to learn new position

Jeronne Maymon, a 6-foot-6, 245-pound transfer from Marquette, will be ready to join the Vols’ returning forwards and compete for playing time this season.

Photo by Adam Brimer

The "T" in Tennessee once again stands for "transition" in the Vols men's basketball ranks.

UT sophomore power forward Jeronne Maymon said he'll be eligible to play in Saturday's game at No. 3-ranked Pittsburgh (9-0).

"All my grades are in; just need one to get posted on the main (web) site,'' the 6-foot-7, 258-pound Maymon said following Wednesday's practice. "It's exciting, but I'm also a little nervous about playing in the game.''

Maymon took and says he passed five classes in the fall semester; the final grade he's waiting to get posted and make his eligibility official is a bowling class that ended in October.

"Maymon brings even more defense and toughness,'' UT senior post Brian Williams said. "We're bringing another dimension into the mix; from a team standpoint, something we needed.''

What the 11th-ranked Vols (6-0) don't need is to lose their team chemistry.

"There will have to be some changing of some roles, and that could present some chemistry issues,'' coach Bruce Pearl said. "Individuals will have to stay right and ready. Our depth has always served us well.''

Maymon will back up freshman Tobias Harris at power forward.

Senior Steven Pearl slides from the four spot to the three where he'll compete with junior Renaldo Woolridge for minutes behind starter Cameron Tatum.

"I'm probably better at the four, but I think it's a matter of what's best for the team,'' said Steven Pearl, who has averaged 14.2 minutes per game. "Renaldo is one of my best friends, and we both understand what's going on and why we'll be fighting for minutes.''

Woolridge has averaged 11.2 minutes playing at the three this season. Woolridge offers the Vols more length (6-9) than Pearl (6-5) or Tatum (6-6), but he has struggled to get his 3-point shot to fall this season (0-for-8).

Bruce Pearl said it remains to be seen if Steven Pearl can be as effective at the three as he was muscling up foes in the paint at power forward.

"The three is completely different; there's a lot more running,'' Steven Pearl said. "Defensive assignments are different, too, most three-men are better shooters and slashers.''

Steven Pearl said he can see the minutes being divided up differently from game to game for various reasons.

"We understand it could be a matter of who is playing better, or the particular match-ups,'' Steven Pearl said. "If we weren't so close as a team and as friends, this wouldn't be so easy.

"But we all know how important our depth is and how quickly things can change.''

About a year ago at this time, Steven Pearl was forced to play 10 minutes at the wing position in the Vols' upset over then-No. 1 Kansas when starter J.P. Prince ran into foul trouble.

Woolridge, meanwhile, played at the four for 34 minutes against the Jayhawks, where he was 4-of-6 shooting beyond the 3-point arc.

Steven Pearl said he has no problem stepping aside for a player like Maymon.

"He's more athletic than I am, so he can get closer to the basket,'' Steven Pearl said. "I mean, the guy is a linebacker; he's the one person I've ever played against that I can't front at the post.

"He reminds me a lot of Draymond Green from Michigan State; he has those quick hands to get steals.''

Bone Conditioning: UT senior Josh Bone went through conditioning drills with the possibility he will return to the team. Bone, a combo guard, suffered a fractured wrist in October and will have his cast removed on Monday.

Maymon's Slate: In addition to the bowling elective Maymon took this fall, the two-time Wisconsin player of the year took two psychology classes, a communications class and a musicology class.

Mike Griffith covers Tennessee men's basketball. He may be reached at 865-755-5599. Follow him at http://twitter.com/mgrif32 and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/askgriff/

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Links

Ironcity writes:

I took Bowling my freshman year. If you can keep score you get an A!!

OrangePride writes:

Uhhhhhhhhhh............bowling? Well, it's true that you do need those Health/PE credits and I guess that's as good as any. Welcome aboard and good luck! GO VOLS!

Laydbakvol writes:

Actually, bowling has been shown to be extremely important to the physical and mental...Sorry, I couldn't keep a straight face! Welcome JM.

VolsToTheWall writes:

lucky him, i thought while i took my bio and chem exams.

NorthwestVol writes:

True, but still, you have to love Steve's attitude.

VolunteerLifer writes:

Thank God for genuine academic pursuits like bowling. I mean, the concepts employed just in the scorekeeping require uncommon scholarship. It makes me proud to know that the student athletes that I root for are working so hard to expand their intellectual horizons.

On the other hand.............Just win, baby!!

AlphaMan1 writes:

Bowling!?...There's actually a college level course on bowling? You've gotta be kidding!

Hounddog writes:

Well, at South Carolina instead of bowling, students may elect to take "Gas Pumping and the proper way to top-off your tank". Hounddog

Slystone writes:

Is that Wii bowling?

volfanwinorlose writes:

Can't wait to see this kid play.

Stepchild_nFL writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

And you're an amazing speller. Looking forward to the game on Sat.

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

Do any of you read?

two psychology classes, a communications class

That's 9 credit hrs, the bowling and music are filler credits. Most students take between 12-18 credits per semester.

So this is typical. Unless you were a math major/engineer etc. Comments making fun of one elective or PE course show you never attended college yourself. GO figure.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

I was an Engr. Major and took my books to the toilet every time I had to go. But it is true that these guys major is really sports and like all majors you need to fill in a few basket weaving to help the old GPA. Ask a DR and he will tell you the hardest part is getting accepted to Med school, for an attorney it's take all basket weaving to get the GPA and work like hell for the Law Exam. We all know that Degree is the real door opener without it (no matter what the major) it's a real up hill battle.

VolinCalif writes:

I had to come back and tell the truth. I never hit a golf ball before I turned 40 years old. I fell in love with that dumb game and took a course at a city college. Why? Because I could leave work for a couple of hours to take brush-up courses. Still had to go back to work and put in my hours but it got me out in the afternoon.
Good night all. Remember get it while the Getting is good.

Caspian writes:

At the end of 4 years of a mathematics major, my last quarter consisted of tennis, volleyball, track & field, badminton, and religion. Let me tell you, badminton will kick your butt when its played at a high level. And the tennis class I took from Pat Head. Pat had just finished her first year as the new head coach of the Lady Vols.

volfan2002 writes:

I sure hope he passed that bowling class. Hopefully the strikes and spares were plentiful. I think he is a huge addition to the team.

nola_vol writes:

Just released: NCAA has questioned whether classes were taken at an "approved" bowling alley. Questions involve "manual pin setting" and "slow wax" issues.

Maymon will sit while NCAA hopes to have issues resolved by April 2011.

Tennfan4075 writes:

in response to Caspian:

You must be almost as old as I am if you were in school during Pat Head's first year as head coach, and just think both of us can communicate on a computer, who would have thought we would ever be doing this.

richvol writes:

Thirty two years ago Andy Kozar taught me weight lifting. I later took bowling,golf and basketball. Back then you had to take three quarters of physical education and the courses were only worth an hour of credit. Tuition was around 100.00 a quarter along with a 15.00 activity fee that gave you tickets to all games. Inflation,sheesh...

tonyvick#213307 writes:

Is he waiting on his bowling grade to be posted or his bowling score? Or will they take the better of the two? Anyway the players seem to like him a lot and I truly hope he's happy at UT.

VOLinATL writes:

I wish I had the skills to be an athlete past the high school level, so I could take a course load like that. But, had to earn a living after school, so had to take real classes!

vols1990 writes:

nearly all UT students take at least on PE class so this is not abnormal. Also, the musicology courses take up the humanities require so the people in thornton probably advised him to take it. I've taken it and it is a legitimate class.

Ayres_Hall writes:

I took golf and volleyball as a sophomore. The two classes were full of UT athletes. In fact,the volleyball class had three Lady Vol BB players. Remember 6'5" Cindy Noble? I'm sure she got an A.

CoverOrange writes:

A small forward that is taller than all of the power forwards, can't shoot the three or drive the basket. At least he has the wedge head fro going for him.

bsimpg3 writes:

I REALLY like how this team is shaping up. Can't wait till Bone gets back. Welcome JM & GBO!

utchuckster writes:

Mayman father ask to be the pin sitter so he will not be getting a grade. Darn, if he would of just ask for money.

lomas98 writes:

Lets post what all of the athletes are taking for classes. Why in the world would an article be written that includes what classes he takes? Hopefully the next article written doesn't say he in ineligible due to not passing one class. Now we know what it is.

tmartin writes:

"I'm probably better at the four, but I think it's a matter of what's best for the team,'' said Steven Pearl . . ."Steven Pearl said he has no problem stepping aside for a player like Maymon"

Why does anyone think it is neccessary to find SP a role anywhere? Yeah, he has played hard, it was neccessary for him to even get on the floor. But that can only take you so far, we have legit players now.

SilasDogooder writes:

I have nine years of college education, multiple degrees, taught at a Tennessee public university for seven years, and am currently director of cultural resources management for a governmental agency in Tennessee. I took weight lifting, rifle safety and handgun safety as my P.E. requirements. To my knowledge, Tennessee still requires physical education classes at the university level. Sounds like the dude was just doing something he thought would be fun. Welcome, Jeronne.

rbut5252#220065 writes:

I don't think my school offered bowling....I took archery....I hated the strawberries that the sting left on my arm with I released the arrow. I also took a course called "Games of Lower Organization". One day Casey, our instructor, rolled out a rack of basketballs and said "Here, ya'll bounce these around for a little while". Gotta love him!

kwcoach writes:

First two "A's" I made in college...Bowling 1 and Bowling 2!!

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor degree in Partying and girl chasing. Witch Doctor quite surprised not many jobs after graduation in that field.
Bones never lie.

ps11824 writes:

Those PE electives were surely right for Maymon, he gained an inch in height and 13 lbs fom the picture cutline to the 3rd paragraph of the article.

tulelakevol writes:

Witch Doctor=Mouse's Ear Executive Talent Evaluator with his degree.

UTByrd writes:

The entire football team is taking bowling lessons the next couple of weeks. Let's hope they do their "homework" and "stike" down the Tarheels with room to "spare".
Go VOLS!!!!!

allvols4life writes:

in response to UofTNFan:

Not sure I see the point in bringing up religion. No one else has mentioned it at all and you say that the board is "infested" with people with a "Jesus complex"? What's that all about?

SWVA_RockyTopVol writes:

in response to tulelakevol:

Witch Doctor=Mouse's Ear Executive Talent Evaluator with his degree.

I've found myself in the Mouse's Ear a few times and I do believe they need a talent evaluator because it's kind of on the low side these days. Then again, it's a strip club...what other field could they possibly work in and have talent???

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to tmartin:

Because he plays legit defense whenever it is needed.

MusicCityVol writes:

I'll be there to witness his debut at Pitt! Can't wait. Follow me on Twitter for updates @CheckerbChatter.

YoungUtAlum writes:

to those of you hating on his classes, they were all electives. The point of electives it to take classes that are fun, interesting, and something that you are pretty sure you can pass. I took all those classes that were listed and loved them. I would question someone's intelligence more if they took hard classes as electives.

rab63 writes:

in response to AlphaMan1:

Actually Alphaman, there's another course out there that's even easier........."WALKING".....I'm not kidding!!!

Colliervol writes:

in response to rab63:

Easy there now. That was one of my P.E. credits back in the dark ages. That and Golf 101. At the time, we had to have P.E. credits and I thought those sounded like cripples especially since I had about an 8 handicap at the time. (That and History of Biology where the 80 year old professor handed out study guides and then gave the exact same document as the test.)

Colliervol writes:

By the way, Griffith just twittered that Woolridge may be out indefinitely with an ankle sprain. More time to work on his rap career because basketball sure isn't in the cards. Looking forward to seeing what Maybon can do.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor remember Freshman Orientation at Haiti DeVry Institute of Witch Doctoring many moons ago(Go Turnips!) Witch Doctor say Dean said "look to your left and now look to your right" "Those people you just looked at will try to turn you into Zombies before you graduate" Witch Doctor didnt know just how true those words were...
Bones never lie.
*Witch Doctor wife wont allow W_D to evaluate anymore talent for Mouses ear or Katch one! Boooooo Witch Doctor wife!

TommyJack writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

Ol' Teej went to Mouse's Ear once or twice. I remember cellulite and stretch marks were in fashion. And all the girls were in Law School. Bwahahaha

smokedoctor writes:

I took my bowlin class down at the Tap Room. Larry even give me my own mug.

VolGrad writes:

in response to AlphaMan1:

As a Liberal Arts student, there were many electives I had to fulfill. On that side of it, I took both Beginning and Intermediate Bowling as well as Basketball and Weight Training. But I finished with a BA degree in Mathematics so don't get on my back about it. :)

Go Vols!!!

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Don't forget the 1st shift ladies with C-Section scars.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to tmartin:

Renaldo is not one of those players.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to SilasDogooder:

Only PE class I took was volleyball my last quarter in 1987. Wasn't required. Guess times changed, then changed again. Inspired me to play rec leagues later in life and slow down turning into a tub of goo.